• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Virgin strike ballot to be within 2 weeks

I just wanted to say Thankyou to Obi for his amazing knowledge (Dare I ask where you get all this info from :rolleyes1 )
We are not travelling til Aug, but it is interesting to know what is going on.
Having flown with BA and VA, we chose VA again because we felt the service to our disabled son was much better, however it would seem that we are the minority on this board who prefer VA...
Keep up the good work guys!!
Tracy

Your post suggests that you consider it okay to continue to debate the merits of the strike, as long as there are no personal attacks.

I thought he was suggesting that if people wanted to discuss the merits of the strike it should be in the Community forum and not on trip planning and that only what the strike results mean for folks is relevant to trip planning. I could be wrong!

I thought he was suggesting that if people wanted to discuss the merits of the strike it should be in the Community forum and not on trip planning and that only what the strike results mean for folks is relevant to trip planning. I could be wrong!

Yes Mikki, spot on! :thumbsup2

hey Obi

have read all posts on this thread and just wanted to say :thumbsup2 YOU ROCK.

Curlyjock,
Whilst the crews performance makes up quite a large part of the passengers in flight experiance, you will see from many forums that their performance has not been to the level that the passengers have expected. This cannot be blamed on the salary, but down to the individual crew members and their own attitude. There are, indeed many crew members who have performed their jobs with aplomb and have been praised for such, regardless of any pay dispute, but there is a minority that, if you paid them £40,000 a year would still provide rubbish service.
This problem needs to be addressed by strong management, who have let this happen.
As for the statement that its not the product but the crew, that is plainly wrong.
Virgin have to keep the premium passengers, the businessmen and women flying with them, paying the £3,000-£4,000 per trip, this has been acheived by the best in the world Clubhouses, the limo services and the UC cabin.
In the day of tightening the belts, Virgin have increased their PE passenger rate by again, providing better seating and better food/Ameinity kits.
The crew whilst palying their part are not the reason many people fly with Virgin, it may have been so whe the company was a small airline flying quirky flights fresh and interesting flights, but Virgin has gone "middle aged" and people expect more than seat back TV's today.

The main complaints against the comapny are (and in no particular order)
a) On time performance
b) Awful Economy seat pitch
c) Awful food across the cabins
d) Terrible service in Economy, with crew dissapearing for hours and no ability to get a drink.
e) On the B & s routes "old" aircraft with worse than Charter IFE

These are the areas that Virgin need to address, and paying more than 4.8% to cabin crew is not going to sort these out in any way shape or form.
They have to spend money on training, on new cabins, on new planes and new IFE just to survive in this market, let alone when open skies comes along.

Whilst many people will support more money for Cabin crew, they would support more money for all employees in this country, but the fact is that in this global economy, many are getting no pay rise whatsoever, or only rate of inflation, on salaries less tyhan Cabin crew and it is seen to be greedy to want more than 4.8%. Crew reductions on aircraft, many, many businesses have reduced their staffing levels to compete with companies outside the UK and many Local Government workers are seeing staff reductions to keep Council taxes down.
These people have possibly to save for two years to go to Florida for example, and to see CC offered 4.8% and then threaten to destory their hard worked for hyoliday really grates them.

Personally I feel the CC should accept this offer and build upon it in future negotiations.
They are still in a better position than many CC at Globespan, TCA, FCA and the rest of the airlines downsizing. they have a job to go to.

With my own latest Virgin "experience" less than 24 hours old I must say that Obis posting tallies pretty much with my own view of the organisation and the harsh realities of the environment in which it operates.

A pretty objective and fair summing up of a situation without resorting to abuse. Whatever the merits of the current dispute (and I tend to agree that the minutae of the dispute are best placed elsewhere) the fact remains that Virgin and its operations forms a cornerstone of many forum users trip planning process and so discussion of the broader issues and indeed the direct impact of any industrial action need to be highlighted on this forum

Virgin used to be so good in the early days. We have flown with them since the begining. The service used to be brilliant. They had such nice food too but in recent years it has all gone downhill. Last time we flew with them the attitude of the staff was very poor, the toilets were not clean, the food was inedible. It is such a shame. I particularly hate that Indian call centre. They were so unpleasant to me when I rang. It has certainly put me off booking with Virgin again. I think I will try a charter next time or a low cost airline. At least some of them still make an effort and are interested in what their customers think.

As for the strike does anyone know what actually happens if our flights are cancelled? Will we be notified in advance? Do you get a refund straight away? What about insurance, I don't suppose they cover strikes do they? I wonder what the chances of getting another flight will be at the last minute.
I am so sad about this. I have been through hell this last year with two of my kids suffering disablilities. We were so looking forward to this holiday. I don't know how I will able to tell my kids if we can't go.:mad:

Do you get a refund straight away? What about insurance, I don't suppose they cover strikes do they? QUOTE]

I would check with your insurance company. We phoned ours and strike action is covered as long as the ballot hadn't taken place before the flights were booked.

Any news Obi??

I am getting really nervous now for our flights on the 7th December. :sad1:

Any news Obi??

I am getting really nervous now for our flights on the 7th December. :sad1:

is there a need to keep up the argument !! can we not agree to walk away from this issue without the mods closing the thread
I totally agree,this thread is here to help people to understand where we stand in regards to many of our future holidays.
Let`s please keep this thread clean and ignore those with comments that may upset,do not let 1 person ruin this thread for the rest of us.
Keep up the good work Obi :thumbsup2

Still no news :(

Do we know when the earliest strike date could be (if there is one) ?

We are travelling out on the 21st November, returning on 4th/5th December.

Thanks

Still no news :(

Do we know when the earliest strike date could be (if there is one) ?

We are travelling out on the 21st November, returning on 4th/5th December.

Thanks

Well, the ballot papers only arrived with the union members in the last couple ofdays, so I think you are OK.
Its looking like IF a strike occurs it will be over Christmas break..

We fly out on the 28th! ( Nov)

How long before the ballot papers have to be returned?????

We are travelling mid december, are we likely to be affected then?
Do they have to give 2 weeks notice of the strike?
Just as long as we get out there, don't mind if we are late coming back.

We fly on the 1st December returning the 15th. I am so concerned we might get caught up in any striking. I wish they would just put us out of our misery.......?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter