Waikiki/Aulani split--advice on days, Waikiki hotel?

Ursula_Fan

Mouseketeer
Hi all--we are looking at mid-June 2022 for Aulani & Waikiki, then 5 nights on Maui. Right now am looking at 3 or 4 nights Aulani, then 2 or 3 nights Waikiki. We would stay at Aulani to swim, hopefully Aunty's will be open, and enjoy the on site activities. For sightseeing we'd like to see the North Shore, maybe Pearl Harbor, maybe Kualoa Ranch? The adults have been to Oahu before & the kids are 6 & 7.

Any advice on how many days for each, and a Waikiki hotel? Sheraton Waikiki has been recommended as family friendly. Also, would you do the North Shore from Waikiki or from Aulani?

North Shore from Aulani, stopping at the Dole Plantation on the way up if you enjoy kitsch.

Pearl Harbor is right in between the two, so you could hit it from either side.

Kualoa Ranch (do Byodo-In Temple while you're in the area) isn't really close to either one, but slightly closer to Waikiki.

Ka'ena Point is an excellent and easy family hike/walk, which you'd want to do from Aulani.

Highly recommend the Bishop Museum if you're looking to add another cultural activity.

Personal bias here, I'm not even a little fan of Waikiki, but I would maximize your Aulani stay and minimize Waikiki unless you're not planning on getting a car.

A number of the places you're talking about touring run shuttle buses out of Waikiki so if you opted out of a car, it would make sense to tour those places out of Waikiki. If you're renting a car, I'd much rather come back to the calm of Aulani than the hustle and bustle of Waikiki after a day of battling other tourist... just a personal preference.

Three hotels for less than a two week trip is too much moving IMHO. I’d skip staying in Waikiki; I’m kind of with CaptainAmerica in that some trips to Ko Olina we at most go over to Waikiki for one afternoon (to have drinks/food at the Moana). Then when we get back to Ko Olina, we breathe a sigh of relief to be away from the traffic and noise.

We come from the East Coast, so prefer longer trips to Oahu (at least 2 weeks). Haven’t been to Maui in over 20 years, since we moved from Oahu (went there annually when we lived there).

On the couple of trips that we stayed in Waikiki prior to Ko Olina, we used those nights to get used to the time difference and never have a rental car there if we can avoid it. If you are going to do Waikiki, I’d do it prior to Aulani without a car, then pick one up in Waikiki to drop at the airport. Once we settle into the condo (we own at the Marriott), we stock up on food and drinks for that stay. But, with at most a week on Oahu, I’d pick one area and stay put, especially with kids.

If you've never been to Waikiki Beach or Oahu, then I would stay at least 2 nights on Waikiki. We always stay at the Marriott Waikiki. It's only a block off the beach but a very nice hotel. That section of the beach doesn't seem as crowded.

I’m at the Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger right now, heading to Aulani tomorrow. We have done this before and love 3 nights at Waikiki then 7 at Aulani. This hotel is wonderful, and we are enjoying our time here. My advice is don’t skip Waikiki—- it’s a fun place!

I think Waikiki is worth a visit once if you’ve never been. I highly recommend the Waikiki Outrigger - Duke’s is located there and the hula pie is delicious, lol. I wouldn’t stay in Waikiki longer than 2 nights, though. It’s very touristy and crowded. For the North Shore, I’d go there while staying at the Aulani because it’s closer.

I’d stay at the Aulani for 4 nights. Pearl Harbor is in between Waikiki and the Aulani so I’d probably plan that from Waikiki. I highly recommend the Jurassic Adventure Tour at Kualoa Ranch. I took my 8 year old son and he had an absolute blast. I’d probably do that while staying at the Aulani even though it’s not very close.

I have a similar trip planned for next summer, but we are doing 6 nights in Maui first. We are staying 4 nights at Hyatt time share, to save money, we'll be exploring the island most of the day just need a place to crash. Then we'll move to Hyatt Regency for 2 nights, we won't leave the resort just relax for a couple of days. We'll then move to Waikiki staying at the Laylow Autograph Collection for 3 nights (again, just another place to crash at night) then moving to Aulani for 2 nights to relax - we don't plan to leave the resort.

We are going in two weeks -- 5 nights in Maui, 3 nights Waikiki and 5 nights in Aulani. Honestly, if Aulani would have been available for all my nights I would have done that, but we have never been so it will be an experience!

I'm a big proponent for visiting Waikiki, especially if you've never been. There's nowhere else in Hawaii that has the same vibe. We really enjoyed the shopping, dining options, people watching, and the activity in the area. Ko Olina/Aulani area is a ghost town after 8pm.

IMO, its worth staying in Waikiki first because I remember the first few days we were wide awake at 5am because of the time change. There were stores and cafes open along the strip in Waikiki and because so many who stay there come from the mainland also adjusting to the time change, there were a fair amount of people out and about at that time. We also stayed at the Marriott Waikiki which we thought was a great hotel for the price point and location. We didn't plan pool or beach time during our stay there because we focused more on that while at Aulani and on the other islands we visited.

We did a Pearl Harbor tour from our Waikiki hotel because they facilitated getting the tickets for us so we found it to be easier logistically. I agree with PP that it makes the most sense to visit the North Shore from Aulani. Kualoa Ranch can be done from either, though perhaps it would be better to do it from Waikiki so that you have more time at Aulani during that portion of your stay. We did the Ranch in the morning and spent the afternoon at Kailua beach, which we thought was superior to the beaches in Waikiki and at Aulani.

Hi all--we are looking at mid-June 2022 for Aulani & Waikiki, then 5 nights on Maui. Right now am looking at 3 or 4 nights Aulani, then 2 or 3 nights Waikiki. We would stay at Aulani to swim, hopefully Aunty's will be open, and enjoy the on site activities. For sightseeing we'd like to see the North Shore, maybe Pearl Harbor, maybe Kualoa Ranch? The adults have been to Oahu before & the kids are 6 & 7.

Any advice on how many days for each, and a Waikiki hotel? Sheraton Waikiki has been recommended as family friendly. Also, would you do the North Shore from Waikiki or from Aulani?
I have a similar trip planned for next summer, but we are doing 6 nights in Maui first. We are staying 4 nights at Hyatt time share, to save money, we'll be exploring the island most of the day just need a place to crash. Then we'll move to Hyatt Regency for 2 nights, we won't leave the resort just relax for a couple of days. We'll then move to Waikiki staying at the Laylow Autograph Collection for 3 nights (again, just another place to crash at night) then moving to Aulani for 2 nights to relax - we don't plan to leave the resort.
We are going in two weeks -- 5 nights in Maui, 3 nights Waikiki and 5 nights in Aulani. Honestly, if Aulani would have been available for all my nights I would have done that, but we have never been so it will be an experience!
Ok y’all, that does it! I’m starting a Maui planning thread!! We’ll be there next summer too. Would love to hear others’ plans and also learn from those going between now and then. Watch for it and come join!

For Waikiki I really loved the Royal Hawaiian.
It’s a classic- built in 1927, and right on the beach. I was literally able to be in the water surfing in under 3 minutes from my room. If you like surfing or want to give it a try, Waikiki beach can be crowded, but the waves are gentle, and people are pretty welcoming.

I also really appreciate that despite it being an easy access walk to the city/shopping, the grounds of the Royal Hawaiian are beautiful and quiet. If you’ve ever seen images of the pink hotel on the beach, this is the one!

Cocktails or breakfast in the restaurant directly on the beach was awesome. Great views of the water and Diamond Head at the same time.

Yes, Waikiki can be pretty commercialized, but there’s little gems here and there, and this resort is one of them.

If you’re into cocktails I also highly suggest a Mai Tai at The House Without a Key around sunset (it’s notoriously difficult to find a good Mai Tai in Hawaii- this one is one of them). Hopefully it will be open when your trip rolls around!

If you’re into cocktails I also highly suggest a Mai Tai at The House Without a Key around sunset (it’s notoriously difficult to find a good Mai Tai in Hawaii- this one is one of them). Hopefully it will be open when your trip rolls around!
+1 to this! It's our favorite thing on Waikiki. Halekulani is closed until October, so I'm sad that it won't be open for our Sept trip.

I really love the Royal Hawaiian and I'm also partial to the Moana Surfrider. I really like historic hotels. Speaking of mai-tais, the one at the beach bar at the Royal Hawaiian is my favorite. We have also stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village twice. It's nice, but it's at the northwest end of the beach and away from anything else. It was difficult to find restaurants nearby the last time we went.

Lots of good advice for hotels but definitely visit Wakiki at least once to form your own opinion. I’ve been only once for four days and spent every afternoon laying on the beach watching the surfers and gazing at Diamondhead. Just soaked up the atmosphere all the while that I was there.

I would also support Waikiki first, followed by Aulani, and I agree that not only is a car not needed while in Waikiki-it's actually kind of a hassle. We've stayed at the Marriott (not directly on the beach) and at the Royal Hawaiian. Hands down preferred the Royal Hawaiian. Small pool, but absolutely gorgeous beach right in the middle of everything!

I have been to Oahu twice now. Both split stays Waikiki and Aulani. We do Aulani first. We get our rental at the airport and head to the resort. We do all of our island touring from there while we have a car. We are DVC so parking is free at Aulani.
We then head to Waikiki for a few nights. We drop our stuff off at the hotel then return the rental car. We use Lyft back to Waikiki and use public transit, trolley passes for that part of the trip. The hotel usually has a shuttle to the airport and we use that on the way home.
I love walking around Waikiki. Sightseeing, people watching, dining and drinking.

The mistake people make in Hawaii is thinking every location will be the same. Ko Olini and Waikiki are different experiences. If you are looking to stay at a resort all day, Waikiki is not your place. If you want to get off the lounge chair and do some shopping, play in the waves, some walking and different dining experiences Waikiki is great. Our last trip we went to both places, in Waikiki it was ocean front drinks and dining, an outrigger canoe, catamaran sail and a lot of shopping. In Aulani, it was pool and lazy river. Both were great but they were different.

We stayed in Waikiki first for a few nights, went to Pearl Harbor, hiked Diamond Head, took a helicopter tour, DH took a fishing trip and DD took a surf lesson. We did some shopping too.

We then moved to Aulani for a week to relax for the most part but did a wild dolphin swim tour and circle island tour from there as pick up was offered from the resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter