Walking on Sunshine : Celebrating Spring at Universal & SeaWorld - an April/May 2016 PTR

Will be anxiously awaiting the tale (tail?) of the Dolphin...

Completely :offtopic:, but just to fill some space while waiting for Gina to get settled, A+ and I welcomed a new addition to our household yesterday:

We traded our old pop-up camper in the fall, and picked our new (to us - it's a 2011) camper last night. Luckily Gina Gina Gru Bina has brought back some of the warmer temps with her (please let it last!), so let the camping begin!

Still need to come up with a name to Christen her with. Our last trailer was Horatio Stormbreaker. This one may be called Puff (teenage son said pffff, when asked about naming; it may have stuck). But since we picked her up on "May the 4th (be with you)" we might go with a Star Wars theme. Jabba the (Camping) Hut comes to mind. Any other suggestions from our great peanut gallery?

Okay, returning to our regularly scheduled programming.

Oh Gina, you are such a tease! I have to know if you gave him away to some kid that was eyeballing it wishing they had it, or you bought a plane ticket LOL :p Can't wait for more details and the full TR!!! 23 days and counting til we leave!!

There are really, really wonderful people in this world ::yes::.

This entry is about the kindness of one of them :).

About a month ago (give or take a little.....it was after our return from our Christmas trip), the boys and I were downstairs watching TV together one evening: a basketball game, to be specific (but knowing my sports-loving guys, you had probably already guessed that). Jake had just nicely returned a few days before from a bus trip to Cleveland where he had watched his beloved Toronto Raptors get shamed by the amazing Lebron James and his Cavalier teammates. Even though Toronto lost, he was still oozing about how much fun it was to watch “his” team play in another team’s venue.....there’s just something very fun about having the chance to watch one of your home teams compete outside of your local stadiums and arenas. We reminisced about how much fun it was to watch the Raps play in Orlando back at Christmas 2012, and how we had wished that the scheduled would have allowed us to do so again on our most recent vacation (but sadly, this year Toronto was nowhere near Orlando on the dates that we were there). They casually inquired if I had thought to check and see if the Toronto Blue Jays were scheduled to be in Tampa on any days of our April trip, and I laughed.....what were the chances of that? It was unlikely, at best......and besides, with Sunshine now joining us in April and our dollar on a massive and consistent slide, tickets for four wouldn’t be in our budget anyway. The conversation eventually turned elsewhere and the original question was forgotten.

A few days later, Steve and I were enjoying a relaxing evening by the fireplace.....he was fiddling on his tablet, and I was surfing the net on my laptop. That discussion popped into my head, and I thought, what the heck....let’s check the game schedule and rule that out (so that when Jake asked again....and I knew he would!...I could assure him that it was a non-issue anyway). A couple of clicks of the keyboard, and I had the Jays 2016 game schedule on the screen.

No. Way :eek:. We fly in on the 24th of April, and fly home on May 3rd. So you can imagine my shock when I see that the Blue Jays are slated to play in Tampa for a three game road trip spanning April 29th, April 30th, and May 1st.

What are the chances of that? :confused:

Steve and I discussed it at length.....it almost seemed like fate! Yet, our budget was being stretched by adding both Jake and Sunshine to the plans for this vacation (remember, this was originally supposed to be a couples trip after our big family affair at Christmastime). We knew we had extra dining costs to account for, Jake’s airfare to factor in, and Universal passes for the two kids yet to buy. Every nightly newscast was preaching gloom and doom for the value of our dollar and predicting a steady decline, possibly to the low 60-cent range, without any foreshadowing of a recovery until sometime in late 2017. It really felt irresponsible, financially-speaking, to buy the tickets. But yet, it seemed to be a total shame to miss an opportunity that really did seem like it involved more than just good timing on our part.

I lamented the conundrum to a few folks who I knew would understand our dilemma: I bent my mom’s ear. I discussed it here on the Dis (lots of other Canadians are also feeling our exchange rate pain, so I knew there’d be LOTS of understanding on the boards). I chatted about it to some friends. After endless debate with the boys over many nightly dinners, we resigned ourselves to the fact that we should probably just take a pass. It was the responsible thing to do.

Then, we had the most generous offer extended to us by a friend: knowing about the game, and all the considerations which were keeping us from splurging on the extra event for our vacation, she reached out to us and said she wanted to gift the tickets to our family. I was flattered, flabbergasted, and speechless all at the same time. Let’s just say that I’m not very accustomed to being the recipient of that kind of random, undeserved, unexpected generosity. All three of us were so touched and our hearts so warmed by the incredible offer, but we couldn’t possibly accept......and that’s what I told her.

This friend and I talked often in the days after that.....she truly wanted us to accept her offer. I was way too overwhelmed to accept. My momma raised me to live life by the “Tis better to give than to receive” philosophy, and this was so far outside of my comfort zone that I wasn’t sure how to process it. We had some very thought provoking discussions, though, where she reminded me that sometimes people need to learn to be good receivers as well as good givers. I began to really sense that this was something that she really, truly wanted to do for us.

With the most grateful hearts, we eventually accepted her very kind, very wonderful, very awesome gift. It still overwhelms me....it overwhelms all of us, for that matter ::yes::. I hope she reads this entry and can know how truly appreciative we all are. Her friendship alone has been such a blessing to me.......these tickets are just a happy bonus.

So......our non-park event for Saturday, April 30th is taking us out of Orlando on a little road trip! :drive: We’ll be sporting our finest fan wear and cheering on our beloved Blue Jays at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg as they face the Tampa Bay rays at 6:10 pm :cheer2:. Our seats are simply amazing .... Fieldside box, smack dab between the Jays dugout and the bull pen. I swear the only way we could be closer to the action is if we were asked to stand in for Josh Donaldson at third base.

Jake informs me the other day.....”Now mom, don’t be insulted by this, because I don’t mean anything bad by it at all. I know you have some awesome things planned for our trip, and I am looking forward to them all....but you know what I’m most excited for? The Jays game in Tampa. I seriously cannot wait!”.

Jake and Steve have authentic player jerseys that they will be happily sporting on game day. I have bought new Jays t-shirts for myself and Sunshine (matching, because we’re hokey like that! :p) and co-ordinating bandanas for our hair in a perfect Blue Jays blue colour.

I love the fact that our T’s are Canadian red, while the guys will be in the official Jays blue. Sunshine was so excited when she saw my purchases, she literally squealed right out loud. (An amusing aside....her dad, who is a HUGE Jays fan, is simply dying know she is going to a Jays game while we’re in Orlando. I think he almost passed out when he heard the news :rotfl2:).

We hope to check out the ray tank located in the outfield (its apparently a joint venture between the Florida Aquarium and the Tampa Bay Rays.....we can even feed them for a small fee!) and of course, since we’ve never visited the Gulf region before, we’ll probably leave early in the day so we can stop at one of the beaches while we’re in town. Of course, weather will be a factor in those plans so we’ll watch and finalize the day’s itinerary a little closer to game day.

Sunshine, artsy gal that she is, is already planning to adorn our cheeks with little red maple leafs and Blue Jays temporary tattoos. Jake is about to experience a sporting event with a decidedly female influence for the very first time. I have always been “one of the guys” when it comes to our family’s sports pursuits, but Sunshine.....she’s all girl. This is going to be a fun change! :teeth:

To the very amazing lady who is making this all possible.....

Know that we will pay forward your kindness. I’m not yet sure how, or when, or for whom, but the moment will come :goodvibes.

Thank you, from all of us :hug:.
Just started reading this awesome report. This entry made me tear up a bit (even if I've been a Kansas City Royals fan since the early 1970s when I was just a kid). <3 You're obviously good people and deserved this gift too. How awesome all of this is.

Star Wars names......yes I'm a tiny bit of a SW geek

Old Ben.....another name for Obi Wan
Jay Jay Binks......actual character was Jar Jar Binks
Jays Earl Jones....James Earl Jones was the original Darth Vader voice, but did you know that someone else did the breathing? Excuse me, my geek is showing.
Darth Feather

Oh Gina, you are such a tease! I have to know if you gave him away to some kid that was eyeballing it wishing they had it, or you bought a plane ticket LOL :p Can't wait for more details and the full TR!!! 23 days and counting til we leave!!

Your dates are the same as us :) We are onsite at Cabanabay doing just Universal parks again this trip.

Can't wait to hear all about your trip.

I forget who mentioned Go Walk shoes, but I love mine! They are so light and have great arch support. Only problem is they stink really bad if they get caught in the rain. Seriously, I have never had a problem with shoes stinking so bad in my life. I suggest not wearing them if it's raining. My shoes were brand new in December when we went on or Disneyland trip. We got caught in a downpour and the smell was just awful!

Totally OT to Gina's TR, but I'm the mom of an 18 year old soccer player. DS has some cleats that absolutely REEK. DH did a lot of research online, and found that putting each cleat in a zip loc and stashing them in the freezer for 24-36 hours will kill a lot of the bacteria that cause the stink. It works for a couple of months.

Totally OT to Gina's TR, but I'm the mom of an 18 year old soccer player. DS has some cleats that absolutely REEK. DH did a lot of research online, and found that putting each cleat in a zip loc and stashing them in the freezer for 24-36 hours will kill a lot of the bacteria that cause the stink. It works for a couple of months.
ooh thanks for that! I'll try it and report back. :)

Glad you made it home safely Gina - and can't wait for the trip report!! We have never brought back a giant stuffed creature but 2 years ago each of the kids brought home a character pillow pet-they had to carry them on the plane as a "personal" item. We were loaded down! Actually the best souvenirs we ever bought-event the 18 year old still sleeps with "Lady" on her bed (middle got Stitch, and my youngest thought I was at least partly serious last year when he brought his Goofy pillow with him back to Disney that he better keep an eye on Goofy as he may want to stay "home" at Disney. Kid still sleeps with his beloved Goofy). Last year the kids hand carried their wands on plane home. Funny how something that may be embarrassing at home (pillow pets, wands etc) is perfectly acceptable in Orlando:)

Thanks for all the name feedback.

I think the kids might groan too much for Puff the Magic Wagon, but it sure had me smiling. I like Dancin's Star Wars suggestions; very creative! Will have to take these to the family committee and see which one holds up. Still accepting suggestions!

I'm glad to see I have't missed the start of your trip report Gina!!! Sorry I was unable to connect with you. As I predicted, with a group of 9 at the start of vacation there were no opportunities to slip away. It's too bad it wasn't later in the week when plans were fewer and there was more down time! One day for sure :).

Yep those first few days for us (the 30th, 1st and 2nd) were HOT and took some getting used to. We are August trip veterans but since it was so unseasonably cold when we left home, jumping into 95 degree weather was interesting.

Today is our first day home. We landed at midnight in Buffalo last night and were in bed by 2 a.m.
Everyone was up for school and work this morning. I can't wait to see how we all are by supper time. I was amazed that my 12 year old wanted to get up as we were willing to give him another morning to sleep, but he missed his friends and got up and ready like a trooper. He gets 10 hours sleep a night, so he's likely pretty tired with his 5 hours from last night!

We pick up our pup today (who I missed SOOOO much) and unpack and take dd back to university tonight. I can't believe it's over already. Thank goodness there is an October trip to plan :)!

I'm glad to see I have't missed the start of your trip report Gina!!! Sorry I was unable to connect with you. As I predicted, with a group of 9 at the start of vacation there were no opportunities to slip away. It's too bad it wasn't later in the week when plans were fewer and there was more down time! One day for sure :).

Yep those first few days for us (the 30th, 1st and 2nd) were HOT and took some getting used to. We are August trip veterans but since it was so unseasonably cold when we left home, jumping into 95 degree weather was interesting.

Today is our first day home. We landed at midnight in Buffalo last night and were in bed by 2 a.m.
Everyone was up for school and work this morning. I can't wait to see how we all are by supper time. I was amazed that my 12 year old wanted to get up as we were willing to give him another morning to sleep, but he missed his friends and got up and ready like a trooper. He gets 10 hours sleep a night, so he's likely pretty tired with his 5 hours from last night!

We pick up our pup today (who I missed SOOOO much) and unpack and take dd back to university tonight. I can't believe it's over already. Thank goodness there is an October trip to plan :)!

Welcome home! :goodvibes

I will gladly join the October countdown with you.....157 days for me :teeth:. We have already started to draft an unofficial 'plan' for our two weeks there. Unfortunately, with the prices of MNSSHP this year, we will be taking a pass on that event.... but we have a few ideas for some new and fun alternatives. It sure helps the coming-home blues when you can refocus on the next adventure!

I agree. We just had our Disney fix for a good long time. We are thinking maybe October 2017 before we return. So no MNSSHP for us this year. I am looking forward to Universal, HHN, Aquatica and possibly Seaworld!

I will gladly join the October countdown with you.....157 days for me :teeth:. We have already started to draft an unofficial 'plan' for our two weeks there. Unfortunately, with the prices of MNSSHP this year, we will be taking a pass on that event.... but we have a few ideas for some new and fun alternatives. It sure helps the coming-home blues when you can refocus on the next adventure!

We finally made our reservations - arriving in Orlando on December 6th and checking into WDW on December 8th for five nights. I've convinced my family that the Orlando Eye/aquarium/wax museum combo is a must do (because Gina said it was great). I cannot wait to start planning!

Welcome home! :goodvibes

We miss each other by about a week! I'll be there 9/28-10/8. If it were just me and hubby again we would bypass MNSSHP because we have been three times already... But we have a couple first timers and I really think it's something they'd enjoy so we're gonna pony up the $90 a person :crazy2:
You're very lucky that you don't have to deal with the going home blues because you can already start planning your next adventure!!

I finally got caught up on your PTR and can't wait for the full TR. What a roller coaster ride it was just leading up to leaving on your vacation! I was so sad learning that Sunshine wasn't going to make it on the trip but truly understand - my youngest son has anxiety and it's tough just getting him out to go to dinner or the store. You definitely were blessed with lots of pixie dust before your trip - you definitely convinced me to look into staying at the Sheraton Vistana on one of our next trips. I checked out pricing today online and was amazed!!

That last pic of the plush dolphin - I almost pee'd my pants laughing! We are all sitting on the edge of our seats waiting to read about your trip! :surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter