Week of Aug 21 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

what is the mfm program please can someone pm with the link or info thanks can't wait to run in the castle!

A little refresher for those of us who started here only recently:

MfM is Marathonign for Mortals by John Bingham, aka "The Penguin". It is a book for those of us who are not looking to be world champions, but want to do the marathons.

Here is his website:
Waddle On

Here's a quick blurb on him:

Once an overweight couch potato with a glut of bad habits, including smoking and drinking, at the age of 43 Bingham looked mid-life in the face--and started running. Since then, he has completed 40 marathons and hundreds of 5K and 10K races--and developed a whole new outlook.

The best place to find MfM is Amazon. The book has training plans for the full and the half marathons that many of us are following. They are for walk, walk/run. run/walk and run. Let us know if you have any more questions! (Forgive us if we discuss things that you're not familiar with and please do not hesitate to ask!)

Lily, thanks for the link to the pictures. Those are great. I love the mile marker signs too. Wow, look at all the people! Did you have trouble maneuvering around people?

Also, I think this has been discussed once before and I remember people saying that they went to the corrals too early. What time do they start herding people toward the corrals? What time would be a good time to actually go?

I just finished reading MFM the other day. It was a good read.

Carie, yes, I was wondering that too. Has anyone heard from Craig?

Colleen

Lilly, Thanks so much for posting your pics! They are great. I get so excited when I see WDW marathon pics :Pinkbounc I can't wait!!!!!!!

Sunny

Lily! Those were awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Lily--Awesome pictures!! You made me get a little teary-eyed at work. I had to pretend that I was yawning so that people wouldn't think something bad had happened!

Tiffj--I know what you mean about looking for other races. I'm already planning on running the Flying Pig (in Cincinnati) on May 7th. I've found that it's addicting!! :goodvibes

Lisa--yay for hubby!!! :cheer2: :cheer2:

Thanks everyone for the advice for Stephen. We're trying to self-diagnose him based on symptoms and what we've read in books and on different websites, but who knows, we may be way off and it could be something completely different. I've been telling him to go to the doctor's for a week, but you know men! :headache:

Nothing to report, today's my Mom's birthday and we celebrated last night, so no cross training for me. I'll have to do my pilates tonight when I get home from choir practice.

Happy training everyone!!

Krista princess:

I don't know if anyone is arround this morning, but after those fantastic pictures from Lily and a whole lot of needed shall we say "rear kicking" from many others I am going to register. Will I be there in January? Who knows but at least it will be a possibility!

Anyways - I am trying to register online and it is asking for an approximate time and race that proves it. Well since this will be my first ever distance run what should I put???? I am guessing at a finish time around 2:30 which is approximately 12min miles. That is where my short distance efforts are at with out pushing too hard so hopefully I will be able to maintain it over time.

Anyways I can put down the time but without anything to back it up what will they do with me???? Anyone know?????

Thanks for all the help! I wouldn't be doing this without all of your support!

:banana: :banana: Yay for MInnie!

There should be a note somewhere on the form that if you put a time of less than X, you need backup. For the full, I think it was 4 hours. SO, maybe that's 2 for the half?? I'd think 2.5 should be safe.

Minnie - Just found it in the fine print on teh pdf. Only sub 2:15 needs proof, so go with your 2:30. Hurry! It's up to 91%!

YAY MINNIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Liz--You're next!! :wizard: That you're able to register before it closes!

Krista princess:

(Now I really need to buckle down and start working!)

Okay - It's official I've REGISTERED!!!!!

Don't know if I feel like this :banana: or this :earseek: though :teeth:

Minnie said:
Yes, I know that feeling. Yay for registering anyway!!!!!

goingthedistance said:
Does anyone have any advice on how to get my support staff around the world on marathon day? I plan on having my cell phone with me so I can provide location updates. Bree/Christa--your support seemed to be all over the place from what I remember from your report on the tricharlotte website. How did they pull that off? Any tips that the Disney Marathon veterans have would be appreciated.

Last year--for the full only (not sure if half is inlcuded this year)---you can load up to maybe 5 cell phone numbers and as you cross checkpoints, they will get a text message that you crossed this marker at this time. You will need their cell phone carrier in addition of course to their phone number.

ETA: I want to say that an e-mail address was an option as well.

And then if you have more than 5 on your world-wide cheering team...one of them can be responsible for spreading the word.

Minnie said:
Okay - It's official I've REGISTERED!!!!!

YIPPEE!!!! Peer pressure works it's magic again!!

Don't worry about how you're feeling. We all felt the same way when we registered. Just know that we're all :banana: :banana: for you.

Solotraveler :earsboy:

Minnie -- congratulations on registering! Welcome aboard!

Lily -- If I hadn't already registered for the half, looking at your awesome pix would have motivated me! I LOVE the Donald medal (I had resigned myself to being disappointed that it is not a Mickey, but Donald is really, really cute!) :teeth:

Liz -- :wizard: for getting to register in time! If not, I really, really hope you will be there to cheer all your WISH friends on. I know it would mean so much to all of us!

Good luck to Stephen on that knee. I had a run-in with a football player sized obnoxious teenager at the airport on Sunday who literally knocked me out of my sneakers and to the ground and my first thought was "if he hurt me so much that I can't train, I am going to press charges". :eek:

Lisa -- congrats on motivating DH! How wonderful that he is joining this party as a participant and not "just" a supporter!

Hi, Carrie! How are you doing, sweetie?

Wow, there is such an air of excitement on this thread these days! It is so great to hear how everyone is doing. Sadly, I have nothing to report, training-wise, but am glad to know that so far, I have 50+ less pounds to drag around those 13.1 miles come January. Hoping to be down another 10-15 by then.

Happy training, all!

Cam - You are a true inspiration! The changes that you have made in your life and your dedication are wonderful. So glad the run down in the airport didn't leave any damage that would effect training. I am gettin gmore and more parnoid now about being hurt. I can just see myself running in the snow the day before I leave for WDW and slipping and hurting myself. If I had room for a treadmill and thought I could do the miles without losing my mind, I htink I'd be getting one.

I'm pluggin along with my training, but I've been kind of sore lately, which is odd, because we have been on a downward taper.

The run the marathon program typically only gives me 1 day a week off. WIth the fact that I have been slackin gon my cross-traning, which I cannot do anymore, and adding another day. I'm afraid that my life will be nothing but working, running, sleeping, and laundry fro the next 20 weeks! I just need to get into the groove, though. Lily's pictures sure do help!

Enough whining. I've come this far and will make it!

Ya, Minnie! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I accidentally ran 4 miles at lunchtime. I was late to work so technically, I should be working through lunch :rolleyes1 But it is soooo nice outside I decided to go for a little walk. I decided I should put on my sneakers so I don't hurt my feet, then I decided I might as well change into workout clothes so I don't get my work clothes sweaty. Then I remembered I had my Forerunner with me.... Well, have Forerunner MUST run!!!! So I did a gentle pace, because I plan to do an 8 miler after I take DS to jujitsu tonight. Hope that doesn't screw me up. I've ran twice in one day before and this first one was real light. The weather is perfect for running :sunny:

Sunny

Carrie -- Thank you so much for your kind words! :) I know what you mean about training becoming all consuming. DH isn't working right now, so he is trying to get to the gym during the day, but when he is back to a fulltime work schedule, I don't know how he will have the time to do all the training he wants to do. As for me, I really have to figure out how to make time to do all the things I need to do, including core strengthening, weight training, hill training, etc., etc. Right now, my priority is to get to bed early enough to get up at 5:30 to wog a few times a week. I just can't get up that early when I get to sleep after 11. This is the craziest busy time of year for us because DD is captain of her colorguard and busy with senior year commitments. Carving out time to do what I need to do for my effort is something I need to make a priority now.

Sunny -- I am SOOOO JEALOUS!!!!! :teeth: I am looking out my window at work today and thinking I'd give anything to go out for a wog. It is so gorgeous and cool.

I realized this morning that my 14 week MFM walk the half program is so perfectly timed. Fall has always been my favorite time of year -- I feel very energized and motivated at this time of year. This morning, I felt a surge of enthusiasm and anticipation that was unexpected and welcome. Then I came here and saw Lily's pictures and truly felt a "spark". Right now, I am thinking about how exciting it will be to be training at Hilton Head DVC at Thanksgiving. Wogging to the Beach House will be a huge motivation for me. I am SOOOO excited :Pinkbounc

I am in awe of what everyone is doing on an everyday basis and how much everyone is accomplishing. Looking forward to having great things to report!

Welcome kdiana and chersheyb! :wave: :wave: Can we officially put you both on the list?

Just a quickie today...it's my last press day as an assistant editor, but I needed a break. Is it weird that I came here to look for JimMIA and see if he had a storm watch thread on the DVC board? :confused3

Congrats Minnie! :cheer2: Glad to see you took the plunge!

Cam...I'm with ya on working this into the kids' activities. I can't register for my next 5K until I get DD12's soccer schedule.

Had my first sub-16 min day on the TM. :banana: My outside pace is about 15:30 since I started the MFM training program, but haven't gotten in that neighborhood on the TM until today. Cross-trained at the Y yesterday...I forgot how much I enjoyed the circuit-training stuff. Looking forward to 4 miles on Fri...with our new friend, Tropical Storm Katrina, on the way, we may have enough cloud cover/rain to make it cooler for my Fri wog. Of course, that won't be good for the weekend...we're going for our first official DVC trip to celebrate DHs birthday. Guess we better pack the rain ponchos! :umbrella:

Colleen

I've been around, but only reading, because I haven't really felt like I had anything clever to add to the conversation. Also classes start one week from today and I'm trying to get as many sessions as possible completed before the craziness begins.

Minnie

Congragulations on taking the big step. If you don't mind I would like to give you some very serious advice, and that is to be extremely aware of and careful with your pace. Being able to do 4 miles in 48 is a good start, and if carried the entire way you'll finish in 2:37. The danger is your body will do exactly what you train it to do. If your training up to the race stays at about that distance and that pace, on race day your body will run its usual pace and at the usual distance it will be ready to stop. If you ask for more your body and then mind will begin to play games with you, and if you continue your body will insist you stop, and then actually stop.

I know you've been following the training of many of the posters and you'll see the common thread is stretching the distance and slowing down the pace to make the desired distance. If your distance stretching is successful, you may find in early December you are able to go 12 miles at say 13 minutes per mile with no difficulty. In this case I'd say a 12 minute pace for the half is very attainable, and go for it. If you find your longer runs are coming in at a slower pace, use that information on race day to ensure you start and carry a pace you can hold for 13 miles. It is so satisfying to run every mile at about the same pace and feel great after. It's pretty depressing to go out too fast and get in trouble at the half way point, and then have to drop out. I've done both and the latter really stinks.

Good luck to you in your new adventure.

The running news at our house is encouraging. I've done some comfortable 7's and 8's in the past few weeks, and some quicker shorter runs, while biking and lifting. I should be around 11 for a long run by the end of September. My wife is about 2 months ahead of her training from last fall, doing 9.6 in last week's long effort and shooting for 10 tonight.

I'm still wondering about my sanity with Goofy, however. The day after long efforts I'm pretty stiff and sore all morning. I cannot imagine how I will feel at 6 a.m. on January 8 after 13.1 the day before. In November and December I'll do a couple of back-to-backs, maybe 11 on Saturday a.m. and then 5 on Sunday a.m. Hopefully this will teach me a lot about what the full will be like.

Cheers

Craig

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter