Week of Aug 28 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in the 2006 and/or 2007 Disney Half or Full marathons. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Pacing Calculator

Off we go!

Well it looks like I may have a whole crew there. Besides my own family & my parents(mom doing 1/2 w/me) my ex sister-in-law is bringing my nieces down for the race weekend because they only live 2 hrs away & come down all the time anyway. My nieces, DS8 & my dad are going to do the 5k. DS8 is very excited for his cousins to be there.

Now my mom has talked to her best friend from high school & was telling her what we were doing & she wants to do it too!! My mom has emailed her the info.

This is going to be such a cool trip. I am soooooo excited!!! :Pinkbounc

Hope everyone has a great training week.

TiffJ- Sounds like a great gang. You guys will have a blast!

I need to move my long runs up a day this week because we're leaving for Hilton Head on Sunday. I'll have to get up extra early on Friday to do my half-marathon day and do my full-marathon day on Saturday instead of Sunday.

Hope everyone has a great week.

Kiena- I hope you have a fun trip to HHI. I can't wait to hear about it when you return. I hope to take the family there one day.

Nancy- You know your body and your abilities. We are here to support you in whatever decision you make. If 2006 is not the year, then we look forward to seeing you at the start line in 2007. :cheer2:

I obviously strained a muscle in my lower leg near my ankle yesterday during my 4 miler. So it's RICE for me right now. My DH assures me that I will be all better by Thursday when we leave for Disney. I just wish I knew what I did so that I don't do it again. :confused3

Happy Monday everyone! :flower:

Heather-- ooh ouch! Keep on RICEing!

I did 6.5 miles on the TM. Six miles at 6.8 mph. I guess I'm calling this my "tempo" run but I don't think the TM is the best practice for a tempo run.

I'll be jello-izing my arms after work ;)

Sunny

Hey ya'll,

I did my third 5K on Saturday morning and shaved three minutes off my last time. I finished in 40:11 and felt really strong at the end. I sure wish I could've gotten under 40 but there's always next time and cooler weather coming should help. Do you think it was bad that I had a couple of Mich Ultras right after the race? After all they were FREE! Michelob was a race sponsor. :drinking1

This week is training as usual. I do my long runs on Saturday and this week I have to go for an hour and ten minutes heading towards 2.5 hours in December. I'm doing a 10K in December in conjunction with the marathon Christa mentioned as well.

I wish everyone happy, injury free training!

Susan

Wow Susan, Congrats on the PR. If the beer is free I believe you are obligated to drink it ;) You'll be sub 40:00 next time for sure!!!!!

Sunny

It's over, it's over, the terrible work weekend is over!!! Just in time for this weekend which will be....worse. :guilty:

Catching up on some posts:

Colleen: Yes, I am doing 3 minutes run/2 minute walk intervals per the Marathoning for Mortals training program. I have no idea where that pace came from for my 5-miler. I was really pleased. Clearly I must be doing something right with my training. :)

Sunny: Oh yes, I LOVE my new Garmin. Love it. It gives me all the information I could possibly want. I think it's going to become an invaluable training tool.

Heather: Ouch, get better soon.

I was able to get my Sunday and Monday 35 minute sessions in-- both were 3 minutes run/2minutes walk. On Sunday, I went 3.66 miles for a 9:34/mile pace. Today I went 3.57 miles for 9:48/mile pace. Nothing to shake a stick at, for sure. I was originally concerned about my pace today-- but considering that I spent most of my run on the cross country trail here at work, ran during the hottest time of day and didn't hydrate well enough beforehand, I'll take it. I have to remember that I can NOT expect to go out every time and best myself. I gave the best that I had today... and that's what matters.

I actually started to go back to school today to finish my degree--- so as though I wasn't busy enough... I just got busier. But I haven't given any thought at all to quitting... I AM going to finish this thing this time. :goodvibes

Happy training everyone!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

solotraveler said:
I actually started to go back to school today to finish my degree--- so as though I wasn't busy enough... I just got busier. But I haven't given any thought at all to quitting... I AM going to finish this thing this time. :goodvibes

Solotraveler :earsboy:

What type of degree are you working on completing? After just finally completing my BS (accounting) this past summer insanity has hit and I'm going back to college once again for an MBA while working full time. Life is full to overflowing but worth it in the end though my DS (12) is wondering just when the heck is mom going to ever be done with homework :rotfl: Good luck to you!

Hi everyone--

Sorry I didn't post much last week. I have been trying to recover from some sort of calf muscle pull that is also affecting my hamstrings???? Not sure whats going on. I didn't run for abt 4-5 days and tried again today. I went ahead and ran my 4 miler but it hurts. Not sure what to do. I don't want to get behind on training but also don't want to make it worse and not be able to walk--ugh! Other than that, I'm doing okay!

Hey guys---

someone asked about Team in Training and the discouragement of doing the Goofy. They actually are not formally discouraging it. They just cannot formally support it. Coaches are trained to teach a participant to complete 13 or 26 miles...and not both. Also, 90% of participants are beginners. They want you to have a feeling of accomplishment for the weekend. If an athlete wants to do the full--raises money for the full...does the half--then doesn't finish the full--they didn't meat their goal and may have a less pleasant weekend experience.

No alumni--or trained athlete would be "banished" or "in trouble" for going Goofy--but it is asked to not "recruit" newbies to do this with you. Additionally--you assume the additional costs and have to figure out the training for yourself.

So I will seriously consider given I won't have my hand slapped for pursuing it :).

Lisa - I see a Goofy in your future....

wtpclc said:
Lisa - I see a Goofy in your future....

Unfortunately unless Lisa already signed up, the half is now closed for registration. That could make decisions easier for some people now.

The full is 91% full.

Good morning everyone,

Last night was supposed to be a recovery run from the long run this past weekend. Well the inner demon got ahold of me and since I was running easily enough I broke my wog training to see if I could get back to running the mile. Well for the first time in my adult life I ran under a 10 minute mile
:cheer2: 9:45 :cheer2:

Now I have absolutley no idea how all you big :dog2: manage to keep up that kind of pace as I was done for after that. I wogged my way back the 2nd mile quite slowly as my shins and cavs (sp) were killing me :earseek:

Tonight is supposed to be either a walk or xt. I've been walking on xt days but would like to give something else a shot that would be easy on the knees. Any ideas???????

Have a great day everyone!!!!

Good morning everybody!! :sunny: Hope training is going well. Last night the inner demon got a hold of me too. I did my walk/run on the treadmill and I started debating with myself if the 32 minutes walk/run is 31:59 minutes or 32:59 minutes. Well, I'm trudging along, walking at 4.4 mph (13:38 pace) and running at 5.3 mph (11:19 pace) and at 32 minutes I was right around 2 1/2 miles, I thought I'm listening to great music on my mp3 player, Stephen's not home and Hines is in his cage, so I'm just go to see how close I get to the time I ran the 5K in last weekend. I did 3.1 miles in 40:20. :cheer2: Now, it was a little slower than my 5K, which was 39:04, but I was excited because I always run slower on the treadmill. If I had run outside, I would have beat my 5K for sure!! :cheer2: :cheer2:

Minnie--Yay!!! Awesome time on your mile!! Aren't you glad you registered for the half marathon?? :banana: As far as xt, I do pilates, may not hurt your knees, but will do a number on your abs!

Susan--Yay for you too on your 5K! And you shaved off 3 minutes? Awesome! Oh, and by the way, we'll have to agree to disagree Thursday night when the Steelers take on the Panthers. It'll be really hard for me because I'm a huge trash talker, but I'll keep my mouth shut!! :teeth:

Heather--Hope your ankle is feeling better! Do you find that it hurts more when you run as opposed to when you just walk? Whenever I run, my ankles kill me, but they stop hurting when I start walking again. I think my problem is that they aren't strong enough yet, so I need to find some strength training for them. Have a great time in WDW! Have a kringla for me!

I hope everyone was safe during Katrina. I'm not sure if anyone here is close to LA, MS, or AL or not. Even for those not on the Gulf, I think we're going to be feeling effects of the hurricane today. In Ohio, it's been pouring all morning, we're under a flood warning and tornado watch. Be safe and happy training!

Krista princess:

I see the 2006 half registration is now closed. I hope everyone who really wanted to get in has made it. As for me, I feel like the pressure is off. Although I said I was going to wait for 2007, the idea of signing up for this year anyway was still lurking in my mind. Now I can go and be a part of the 2006 support team and not think any more about registering. Once our endless move is finally over I'm sure I will be able to focus better on getting my time fast enough to stay ahead of the sweeper.

panthergirl said:
Hey Krista! :wave2: Feel free to trash talk. I can take it. :teeth: I work with the biggest Steelers fan in NC and he has been talking pretty big for weeks. Anyhow we need to get in shape for when our teams meet in the Super Bowl. It could happen for sure!

Go Panthers!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

I sure hope you're right! But with the way our offense has been lately, who knows what's to happen. Especially now that our 2 running backs are hurt and are listed as questionable for playing next week, let alone starting. I guess they have a week and a half to get their act together. Go Steelers!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Krista princess:

OK- I'm back from the crim! It was so much fun. We ran at a training pace, so I didn't really even get out of breath, but I did enjoy and donut along the course. I tried to get the free beer at the 3 mile mark, but they sent me on. I was very dissappointed (they were only passing out tiny sips, but I wanted to experience the entire race!) I'll have to post a pic. tomorrow. looks like everyone has been training hard.

Melissa - So glad to hear from you. Would love to see pictures and congrats on a race well run. :cheer2: :banana: :cheer2: :cool1: :cheer2: :banana: :cheer2: :cool1: :cheer2:

Sunny - You are doing so good! You are truely a BIG :dog:!

Not much going on here. Just running and biking. I hope to join the YMCA (so I can swim more) after I pay for DD5 & DD7.5 gymnastics. Kid cost more than running! :scared1: :faint:

Gotta go now!
Christa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter