What Do You Do With All That Bling?!!

Thank you. I'm the office manager for my father's demolition company and I found a display case at one of the projects. So I thought it would be a good use for my medals!

And are those just towel racks? Love it! I haven't really liked the official medal holders I've seen (they just aren't perfect for me, and if I'm putting money out for something specialized I want I perfect) but to just use something simple is fabulous for me.

My ikea box where I've been squashing bibs and medals is basically full now. So it's truly time to do something.

I just purchased two medal hangers from Allied Medal Hangers. One for me and one for my son. I'm hoping to hang it this weekend so I can get my medals up there so I can enjoy them. Right now they are all wrapped around the bed post at the end of my bed.

I went with Allied Medal Hangers also, very happy with the hanger. Found one that felt like me and it came with lots of room to keep me motivated to keep running races and earning new medals. :) Nice to walk by it, stop and remember each of the races that I have a medal. Great product, money well spent.

And are those just towel racks? Love it! I haven't really liked the official medal holders I've seen (they just aren't perfect for me, and if I'm putting money out for something specialized I want I perfect) but to just use something simple is fabulous for me.

My ikea box where I've been squashing bibs and medals is basically full now. So it's truly time to do something.

YES! Basic towel racks that were also salvaged! They fit closed to the back of the display case and allow the medal to rest against it. I've seen a lot of well done medal hangers but I wanted one that would hold a lot. I ordered one for my wife (we haven't put it up yet) and I was a little disappointed with the size and the hooks themselves. The towel racks allow the medal ribbon to rest completely on it without bunching or wrinkling it up.

Other people have also used curtain rods which do the same thing and are available in many different lengths. I will probably switch over to one sometime in the future when my case becomes too crowded.

Glad you like it!

Wow! So many great ideas.....I just need some more medals so I can justify having a medal hanger!

I'm a nooby runner, only started in Feb 2015! But you can't leave 'em in the shadows! Time to dust them off Slogger! I will say I'm not a big fan of the shadow boxes. They look really nice but they require a lot of storage and do you do all shadow boxes or prioritize your favs? My friend got me a medal rack for my first race! I leave my shirts in the closet too, but only because I have them hanging together and I wear them a lot!

But here are my medals! Hopefully by the end of October my rack is filled! :)
q-nXCPizUIeFWsa3iCCNZirHBd1SZwjsTk5RXXk09JmjcpQCOXCqtAZWW_m_z7YsGNhz5C73wJTvjD9qt0i2z1UwFqMvPnoF8shyvDHdZlTx4y8isJHOkE2ZYHyaiNcZlBF0ezCxo8DRJvX_SvCtk8LNjrrBnQWpPsmd3l9o63eFP92psljOyFMxZcT5ngaXTKSz_F1kI5zJkywvMW4YATmIRpIT6K93R_i5IXn-sxQ2tf1htyhSdd6T6_TkuU4rNAMZbZYpE04r8moBEiDKjvNnboZBxbzZ45BgwfK-MLTiiHb7s-PKIrD6Dr9GWhOrcJsRX6xn3TYtTf-o3hkEpAkgnCaGz0C-T31XX1S9925PG6rodEUfifAxyPE9RO9houDLKlV085i60adoAngeDzVTvkZFy_sswoqS1vGQYC4NiFTUJjx4Jm79NhqL9fRpgCSEz4k1NCRD6I1volmshWoph3dB-xs4D0sQtl9n97NBpP9rE5OxDdDz03u5H0_fWqHQMiWGiT9JswxkGFWWrzc3YZvwXImjya1RbP7L0nV456aOnlkJSaMbL5vbcyucUd846-3CsDujDlb31GKMWugWUoQSx9wJRjYEtCvpvWEjoPdia2rJa4bWChQ2AuAPWmlsf5frdwrc4MCjhn2BS2c6PpW_=w1576-h635-l75-ft

View attachment 113485

Preview of the medal hangar I am making.
I sort of copied your idea. I'm making a cutout of mickey in the run pose at about 24 in by 36 in MDF wood. I plan on painting it and use the neck and arms as the places where I will hang the medals. Will likely have to stiffen the arms with some back side metal to mske sure the weight of the medals dont break the arms off. I will probably only make this a standing holder rather than hanging it because of the weight. If the MDF fails then I'll have to figure out some other would source likely screwing together some boards.

So here is my little progress so far...copying @rteetz

First the outline in mdf board
20151002_170916.jpg

Next the cutting begins:
20151002_181523.jpg

The final cuts are in:
20151002_193358.jpg

Time to sand the edges, stregthen the back of the arms and legs with some stiffening pieces (maybe metal, don't know yet), and then painting can begin.

Also, I need to get lots more medals - can't wait till January! I'll hang them off the neck and from the arms - hopefully it will look good. Oh, and need to figure out some way to stand him up or mount him.

Here is the color inspiration

Last edited:

View attachment 126946

Next the cutting begins:
View attachment 126947

The final cuts are in:
View attachment 126948

Time to sand the edges, stregthen the back of the arms and legs with some stiffening pieces (maybe metal, don't know yet), and then painting can begin.

Also, I need to get lots more medals - can't wait till January! I'll hang them off the neck and from the arms - hopefully it will look good. Oh, and need to figure out some way to stand him up or mount him.

Looks great! I actually like that idea better. I started painting the background yellow but haven't finished yet.

View attachment 126946

Next the cutting begins:
View attachment 126947

The final cuts are in:
View attachment 126948

That is awesome!! What an inspiration! But I feel like for me it would be like a Pinterest Fail! Ha ha ha ha! Very cool though! Hopefully you'll post a pic once its done with all your new medals on it!

thanks!! I have to get those medals first...working on that though. I only have 3 right now but more to come in January!

I'm close to being able to paint it with my Mom's help. Still trying to figure out how to make him stand up - right now it looks like some kind of wooden block...hopefully no one will look at the back of it because it will be rough. The front will hopefully turn out well.

You guys are awesome and quite creative too.

Need to get motivated and give my medals a proper display.

I love this thread! I really want one of the Disney medal hangers but they seem to be out of stock right now at Allied Medal Hangers - hopefully they will have more by the time I earn my Dopey bling in January!

@IamTrike ....very nice. Really like the RunDisney one. Thanks for posting pics. Looking forward to seeing your bib display.

What is the big Mickey Ears piece of bling that you have on the rack on the left?

@IamTrike ....very nice. Really like the RunDisney one. Thanks for posting pics. Looking forward to seeing your bib display.

What is the big Mickey Ears piece of bling that you have on the rack on the left?
Thanks. My wife made both the medal hangers for me.
That was actually a fish extender from our last cruise. I am still working on a pin setup for our bonus room upstairs. It's hanging there in the interim.

Since then I helped fill some rough spots - IT IS HARD TO PAINT!!! My Hand was shaking a few times and it came out rough. I wonder if it would have been better to mask off areas first - maybe not, it probably would have take a LONNNNG time.

Anyway, here is the final version - looks ok from long distance. Also here is what it should look like.
20151018_164939.jpg micker copy.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter