What has been the worst family/friends get together you have been at?

My brother called a week before his wedding and asked our dad to pay and pick up the food for his rehearsal dinner. No worries. Dad and I load up my kids( dd6 and ds9 at the time) the night of the rehearsal drive 2 hours to them and pick up the food 5 miles from their house. Get to the house, set up the food.... There was no rehearsal because they had it that morning. My son, father and I were supposed to be in the wedding. Everyone starts to eat so I pulled my brother aside and asked why he didn't involve us and why did dad pay for the food if you had a rehearsal and everyone went out to eat. He shook his head and said i dont know. His now wife ignored me when I asked her about it. So we ate our food and left lol. As for the wedding that was a disaster.

I went to a thanksgiving party, invited by my cousin. My parents were out of town, most ppl close to me were. Anyways, they didnt tell me that their thanksgiving party was at someone else's house. so when we went, they were basically his work friends with their family, so they were just talking about work the entire time. The wife/moms were in their own little talk about kids and fashion and what nots... only ppl left were the kids and my nephew.

I was soooo boooored.

Well, there was the time that my MIL served vomit soup and 8 Pillsbury crescent rolls to an extended family gathering that involved 11 people. It was supposed to be butternut squash soup. She didn't have all of the necessary ingredients, so she left some stuff out and made some substitutions, such as making the soup with sweetened condensed milk. It was awful. So bad that I spit it out. My kids took a couple of bites and started to cry because it was so horrible. Thankfully, meal time was kind of chaotic so nobody noticed when I dumped all of our soup down the drain. I got the kids some McDonald's on the way home. We don't really eat her cooking anymore, thank goodness. I have countless other tales of memorable MIL meals.

** edited to add **
I've referred to it since that memorable evening as vomit soup because:
a. that's what it looked like - chunky vomit in a bowl
b. that's what it tasted like

DHs family. Years ago the family nativity went missing. General thought was that it accidentally got thrown away during the post Christmas clean up.

Fast forward to MILs death. Cleaning out MILs attic. BIL comes down with a box with a nativity set in it thinking it’s the missing one. Without even looking in the box, 2 SILs start fighting and screaming at each other over it. One SIL calls the other (expletive) evil.

Come to find out it wasn’t the missing one. It was another one that someone had given MIL/BIL. How do I know this? Because the card was still in it.

My only comment to them was “perhaps you two adults should have looked at what was in the box before you started screaming at each other like 2 children”.

This one isn’t me but someone I know:

This person has some mental health issues I think, but of course, doesn't think they're the problem. They have been estranged from their brother for 20+ years. They had been estranged from their sister for 20+ but have recently mended fences. They are periodically estranged from their twin for months and sometimes years at a time. They were estranged from their now deceased mother for the last 25 years of her life.

They are grocery shopping one day and bump into someone they know who works at the local funeral parlor. She expresses condolences at mothers death. Surprise! This person did not know mother had passed. Estranged had POA and didn’t tell the other 3 siblings basically because he was estranged from all of them.

They contact funeral home. Find out mother is cremated and brother is coming from FL the next day to pick up ashes. They all go to the funeral Home. A scene ensues. Police are called. Moms ashes get split. Brother takes some to FL. The rest stay here to be buried with her husband.

This one isn’t me but someone I know:

This person has some mental health issues I think, but of course, doesn't think they're the problem. They have been estranged from their brother for 20+ years. They had been estranged from their sister for 20+ but have recently mended fences. They are periodically estranged from their twin for months and sometimes years at a time. They were estranged from their now deceased mother for the last 25 years of her life.

They are grocery shopping one day and bump into someone they know who works at the local funeral parlor. She expresses condolences at mothers death. Surprise! This person did not know mother had passed. Estranged had POA and didn’t tell the other 3 siblings basically because he was estranged from all of them.

They contact funeral home. Find out mother is cremated and brother is coming from FL the next day to pick up ashes. They all go to the funeral Home. A scene ensues. Police are called. Moms ashes get split. Brother takes some to FL. The rest stay here to be buried with her husband.
{{shudder}} :scared: Going to the "Thankful" thread now to post how lucky I feel to have the family I do...

This past Christmas at my Grandparents,the first with my baby (DS was 4 Months Old). My Aunt takes the baby and scurries to the next room with him as a joke. This freaks him out, and we spend the hour we were there huddled upstairs with our screaming baby while the party is downstairs. We end up leaving early and opening his gifts at home after he went to bed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter