• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where will your first post-Covid vacation be?

Alaska cruise got cancelled (moved it out a year) so we are thinking a long weekend in Vancouver in September.

I still have 3 1/2 months left on my WDW AP, was supposed to go in April, still holding out hope of getting another trip or two in with it, but it all depends on when they open the border and what the reservation system is going to be like.

Worst case, I take the refund 😭

We were to be leaving today for three weeks in Italy for DH's 65th. Instead we will be spending three days at Johnston Canyon (between Banff and Lake Louise). Not quite the same.

The access road is currently closed, except for guests, so we should be sharing the canyon and hikes with a very limited number of people, social distancing of course. Normally there would be tourist buses and a full parking lot so it will be an interesting experience.

Hopefully we will be able to do the Italy trip once the borders open.

We had already planned to charter a boat for a week in July and motor around Desolation Sound here in BC. We are still doing that and the only change is that my FIL was going to fly from Toronto to join us but he has decided not to. DH, DS and I are still going but we might not stop at some of the small marinas depending on their closures.

We were less than a week away from leaving on a cruise when the world came to a crashing halt so we had to cancel the cruise as well as DH's trip to Geneva (To visit CERN!!!) that we had planned for right after the cruise. No idea when we will reschedule the cruise but definitely not before March 2021.

It's official, no special vacation for us this summer. Yesterday we just spent the money we had saved for our DCL cruise on a new bed/mattress. Very happy we could encourage only Canadian/QC companies in the process. From the bed sheets to the mattress and head board, everything is made locally. While I loved how practical it was to order on Amazon while at home the last 3 months, we decided to be more mindful on where we will spend our money in the future so we encourage our economy first because sending our money to American or Chinese companies. Having some stores and businesses re-opening will help that for sure!

@isabellea We need a new set as well. So hard to know what to buy. You really need to shop in-person.

We decided to change our set a while ago but never had time to go shopping. And then everything closed because of COVID-19. DH who has really bad back problems looked at online companies but while it might have been okay for me since I can sleep on anything, I didn't think it was a good idea to invest a lot of money on a good mattress without trying it first. Stores with a private entrance (no mall) re-opened 10 days ago so yesterday we left the kids with snacks, sunscreen, masks and water in my neighbour's backyard to play and went to a local mattress store. I was positively surprised by the safety measures they took. The salesperson told us to clean our hands and to take one rubberized sheet each so we could try the beds. He also kept his distance and disinfected the bed remotes (DH wanted a motorized bed to elevate his head and feet). They even provided popsicle/coffee wood sticks to touch the buttons of the INTERAC machine. I also saw the store manager disinfecting those rubberized sheets. Personally, I hope those will stay even after the pandemic is behind us.

We ended up buying two twin XL Zedbed mattresses (makes a king-sized bed) and boxsprings/platforms. Built in QC and now owned by Kingsdown (Canadian company). DH side will be motorized but since I sleep on my side and I would have used the elevation only to watch tv, I decided to buy a regular boxspring/platform instead to save $$$$. First time we will have a bed that wide and I now have decided to also shop for new bedroom furniture... Will be an expensive staycation but hopefully worth it!

It's official, no special vacation for us this summer. Yesterday we just spent the money we had saved for our DCL cruise on a new bed/mattress. Very happy we could encourage only Canadian/QC companies in the process. From the bed sheets to the mattress and head board, everything is made locally. While I loved how practical it was to order on Amazon while at home the last 3 months, we decided to be more mindful on where we will spend our money in the future so we encourage our economy first because sending our money to American or Chinese companies. Having some stores and businesses re-opening will help that for sure!
We recently bought a bedroom set as well. I looked for Canadian made and was surprised at the amount of good quality, solid wood furniture companies that are Canadian.
I never used to give these things much thought, but I am definitely more mindful now.

We recently bought a bedroom set as well. I looked for Canadian made and was surprised at the amount of good quality, solid wood furniture companies that are Canadian.
I never used to give these things much thought, but I am definitely more mindful now.

When shopping for my kids nursery furnitures, I was told that often the big pieces such as dressers are made in Canada because shipping from oversea (aka. China) is too expensive. Now I try to be mindful at the origin of what I buy. My new criteria are:
Confort/what I am looking for
Made in Canada
Price
Owned by a Canadian company

If we want to protect our jobs and have our economy flourish, we have to encourage Canadian brands as much as possible imo. And usually, the quality is better and prices are not that much higher when looking at nice pieces.

We just canceled our September trip to WDW and had already bailed on a May trip to see friends in Cleveland. Right now I am aiming on a few days at my fishing camp northeast of La Tuque Quebec in August.

Canceled an April WDW trip and rescheduled for July 5-10 (the timing . . . ) Going to cancel July (or they'll cancel for me, POFQ, I don't know) and reschedule for October. I do have a 'girls trip' scheduled to Colorado in September . . . Hopeful that goes forward. And another 'girls trip' scheduled for October (will add WDW before or after that).

So instead of California and Disneyland we are thinking of visiting Alberta.

Do it! Alberta is beautiful, lots to see here. And you won't get your car keyed or receive nasty notes on your windshield for not having an Alberta license plate. lol. :thumbsup2

To answer the OP's question - the problem with us is that Disney has pretty much ruined any other vacation spot for us! We will probably wait and ride this craziness out then when things calm down IF the dollar isn't even more in the toilet we will do our next Disney World trip we were planning for. Will probably be later than we hoped, but I don't want to spend any money on going anywhere else, I'd rather save and have a killer 2 week Disney vacation and go nuts. :banana:

We cancelled our August trip over a month ago , and already had plans for off site for Nov 2021, so we got that ball rolling to have something to look forward to ( and because with everyone postponing , things are booking up )
Our summer will consist of sticking around the Maritimes , and our annual New Hampshire trip for Nov is up in the air.

We are going up to Penticton in the southern Okanagan later this week for a few nights. Later in August we are staying at a beach side resort on Vancouver Island in the town of Parksville. My husband also has a week off in mid October but doubtful we will go anywhere (had a cruise booked on the Wonder out of San Diego 😭).

In a 3 BR cottage in a gated neighborhood on the beach on the Florida panhandle. We will be cooking meals in the unit. We are driving there. Cancelled our mid September WDW trip. Not worth the risk and definitely not worth it with fewer restaurants open. We were there in December 2019 and January 2020. We will wait until we think it’s worth going again. It sure when that will be.

Next summer we plan to go to Quebec City for a few days and and then drive the Cabot trail and camp along the way.
All of this is COVID dependant of course. My sister and I have dubbed that the “Covid Shrug”. It’s where you make a plan or talk about something that’s coming up and then you shrug and mumble “covid” , because nobody gets to know what they are doing ahead of time anymore . :confused3

Well we've booked a few nights in a cabin at a campground in St. Andrews, NB next month. However, we're trying to work it out to go to PEI and stay in the same cottage we had last year for a few nights, and basically just hang out at the beach.

Originally the plan was to then plan a big 2021 June trip to Disney, but DH says he is highly doubtful that will happen, and he really doubts the situation will be under control by then in the US, given how things are going. So... who knows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter