Which side of the dinner plate does the bones discard plate go on, and how do you know this?!

I agree with others--bone plate goes to the left/top of the main plate. If there is no bread plate out, it goes in pretty much the same place as that would go. If there is also a bread plate, the bread plate goes slightly closer to the center/higher than the bone

I didn't know it was such an unusual concept. If you have smaller plates (which older ones were) leaving bones or shells (because you could also have a small bowl or plate there for lobster/shrimp/clam shells, etc) on the plate doesn't really work--there simply isn't room. I stil see them fairly often--though I suppose that is mostly on cruise ships where old time rules at meals are more common. But, since I intentionally buy smaller plates to discourage overly large portion sizes, I still use them at home as well on the few occassions when i cook something with bones.

Last edited:
My family always used an aluminum pie plate (disposable one). Well two. One near my dad and one for the rest of us lol

I agree with others--bone plate goes to the left/top of the main plate. If there is no bread plate out, it goes in pretty much the same place as that would go. If there is also a bread plate, the bread plate goes slightly closer to the center/higher than the bone

I didn't know it was such an unusual concept. If you have smaller plates (which older ones were) leaving bones or shells (because you could also have a small bowl or plate there for lobster/shrimp/clam shells, etc) on the plate doesn't really work--there simply isn't room. I stil see them fairly often--though I suppose that is mostly on cruise ships where old time rules at meals are more common. But, since I intentionally buy smaller plates to discourage overly large portion sizes, I still use them at home as well on the few occassions when i cook something with bones.
I've been on 15 or so cruises and have never once had a bone plate as part of my MDR place setting.

Hmm, wonder if this thread will be like the "how do you butter your dinner roll" thread? :rotfl2:

Reminds me of when I worked at the diner, they served a LOT of broasted chicken so there were always bones to deal with. Most people were civilized and would either leave the bones on their plate, OR use a small plate for them. But SOME heathens would pile them up, in the middle of the table or beside their plate, but actually just ON the table. So gross!! Then we waitresses had to pick up those bones, ick!! Some people would ask for a bag to put the bones in, to take home to their dog. But some people would put more than just bones in the bag, they would add a few pieces of chicken to take home, so we started telling them to just put the bones on a plate then WE would bag them when they were done and we had removed all plates from the table.

I think I do have a couple bone dishes in my Mom's china. If we eat chicken with bones, or ribs, we just put another plate on the table to put the bones on.

A PP mentioned seeing bone dishes on cruises, I've never seen one on any of our cruises but then we have only cruised Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Disney, not any of the premium lines so maybe those lines have them.

^THIS...

Hmm, wonder if this thread will be like the "how do you butter your dinner roll" thread? :rotfl2:

Reminds me of when I worked at the diner, they served a LOT of broasted chicken so there were always bones to deal with. Most people were civilized and would either leave the bones on their plate, OR use a small plate for them. But SOME heathens would pile them up, in the middle of the table or beside their plate, but actually just ON the table. So gross!! Then we waitresses had to pick up those bones, ick!! Some people would ask for a bag to put the bones in, to take home to their dog. But some people would put more than just bones in the bag, they would add a few pieces of chicken to take home, so we started telling them to just put the bones on a plate then WE would bag them when they were done and we had removed all plates from the table.

I think I do have a couple bone dishes in my Mom's china. If we eat chicken with bones, or ribs, we just put another plate on the table to put the bones on.

A PP mentioned seeing bone dishes on cruises, I've never seen one on any of our cruises but then we have only cruised Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Disney, not any of the premium lines so maybe those lines have them.

YES! My intention exactly (Buttered Bread) kimblebee are you there. Enjoy Kim, and heal quickly. :sunny:

We just put a big bucket in the middle of the table.

Yes! BUT, is it on lazy Susan? As an Aussie here requests. :teeth: Hi! Jevs:umbrella:

Yes, it's still raining here the summer that was forgotten I'm afraid... sigh.

Last edited:
I've been on 15 or so cruises and have never once had a bone plate as part of my MDR place setting.

I'm guessing from a previous reply that it was probably there but, lost on you as to what it was for? On some tables when a tad crowded, the plate is under the bread one. Other times depending on the diner's menu choice it is brought to the table with the meal.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter