Which side of the dinner plate does the bones discard plate go on, and how do you know this?!

I'm guessing from a previous reply that it was probably there but, lost on you as to what it was for?!
I didn't think of that possibility (though ,as I said, on the lines we sail they tend to just set them down about when they are changing out cutlery, and only for those whose orders require it--but, yeah, someone might just not notice or think it was an extra bread plate left by mistake or whatnot)

For those that have the bone plate in the middle of the table, does it go on a lazy susan?
Do you think the "lazy Susan" was invented by someone who had a wife or daughter named Susan who was too lazy to pick up a plate to turn it?

I couldn't help myself, I looked at all kinds of place setting diagrams and none have a bone discard plate.

Op, I think this must be something your family does. I think it could go wherever it works best for you.

Oh, and a pea pusher is a small utensil used to push peas onto a fork. It avoids the use of fingers.

When we are something with bones, we had two bone plates on the table..one for each end.

I disagree. The decline of respect for elders in our society reflects this, or is it that... another downside of getting olderrr.

I was raised to always be polite, but just because someone managed to live a few years doesn't automatically confer respect. Even older folks must earn it, isn't that how it should be?

I have never seen one, but I loathe pulling meat from a bone so I'm highly unlikely to ever serve anything on my fine china that would call for a bone plate.

I am curious if my sister has heard of this, she went through formal cotillion, but I mercifully missed that tradition

I couldn't help myself, I looked at all kinds of place setting diagrams and none have a bone discard plate.

Op, I think this must be something your family does. I think it could go wherever it works best for you.

Oh, and a pea pusher is a small utensil used to push peas onto a fork. It avoids the use of fingers.

ME, and the whole British Commonwealth. My grandfather, uncle, and now 3 cousins are Anglican ministers whom would dine in many homes of provincial ideals; We use Bone Discard Plates! :snooty:

christmas07 005.jpg christmas07 058.jpg
Our little hand, pea eater!

Last edited:
I was raised to always be polite, but just because someone managed to live a few years doesn't
I was raised to always be polite, but just because someone managed to live a few years doesn't automatically confer respect. Even older folks must earn it, isn't that how it should be?

automatically confer respect. Even older folks must earn it, isn't that how it should be?

Yes always but, ageism is alive and well. :sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter