Which side of the dinner plate does the bones discard plate go on, and how do you know this?!

I had to take etiquette classes before being a debutante. Its a stupid tradition, one I can't believe my folks bought into, but the etiquette stuff has come in handy professionally.

Interesting question. We don't have anything really with bones at home. However, we may at a restaurant and it may be bones from ribs or wings. Also, DH eats mussels and clams and gets a plate/bowl for the shells. Never thought about where it actually goes.

Well I am thinking chicken bones, rib bones, if I am eating them and I have a little plate that bread was brought on I would use it , or ask the waitress to bring another plate. DH and I would share the plate to put them on.

Bone plates were used mostly during Victorian times. They were placed to the left of the dinner plate. I have 2 that survived my great grandmother's formal dishes but have never used them. If I did, it would likely be for candy at Christmas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter