Why did you pick out the names you used for your children?

A rule we had was not to have double same initials. So 1st and last names could not have same beginning letter. We also wouldn't do weird spellings or weird or trendy names. And DH was adamant that any son of ours get a traditional boy name so as not to get made fun of. (but I do like the unisex and typical last names for girls...both my girls have those both)
Good rule.
My oldest sister named her youngest son after our step father. Still causing a world of confusion when talking about either of them, LOL.

Good rule.
My oldest sister named her youngest son after our step father. Still causing a world of confusion when talking about either of them, LOL.
Ah, you have a big so-and-so and a little so-and-so. We have several of those in both our extended families. Odd thing I never knew until later in life....women used to name daughters after themselves too. We have quite a few in DH's family. Nothing like a big 'X' and little 'X' as a women.

I didn't have a choice. FIL said he would haunt me, if I didn't carry on the family name. DS is a third (III). He passed away a few years ago. So far, no hauntings in our house. I'm glad I gave in & toed the line instead of going with the name I wanted. :p

Last edited:
I wanted to name my daughter Isabel after my grandmother but my cousin beat me to it. My grandmother passed away on Christmas day. I ended up choosing the name Natalie because its meaning is Christmas/birth of Christ and used Isabel as her middle name... Natalie Isabel

I had a friend who’s S/O changed their son’s name completely, first and middle while she was still out of it. She was furious but never did anything about it.
Shucks, I wasn't mad, I genuinely did find it funny. If he would have told me beforehand it meant anything to him I would have been happy to scrap the other middle name entirely. Everybody in DH's family for several generations had a son middle-named after the father; something I hadn't realized. DH's own middle name is his Dad's name. It was fine with me - totally.

I wanted to name my daughter Isabel after my grandmother but my cousin beat me to it. My grandmother passed away on Christmas day. I ended up choosing the name Natalie because its meaning is Christmas/birth of Christ and used Isabel as her middle name... Natalie Isabel
:laughing: That reminds me of a CB thread once where sisters-in-law were locked in a death-match over a daughter's name that one claimed the other "stole" from her. I certainly hope you stopped speaking to your cousin immediately and got the entire rest of your family embroiled in the drama. Apparently that's how these things are done. ;) BTW, Natalie Isabel is an absolutely lovely name. :flower3:

DD is Sarah Michelle. I know, I know... Gellar. However, DD was born before SMG was a "thing." I liked Sarah because it's an old New England name, and nobody in the family ever used it before. Middle name was going to be either Michelle or Nicole, and we already have a Nicole in the family. When I was in labor (27 hours on pitocinn, 4 hours of pushing, still needed an suction assisted delivery of a 10 pound baby- tore her scalp and broke her collarbone, separated my pelvis) 2 of my nurses and one of by OBs was named Sarah, so it seemed appropriate. Just dumb luck that within a year, Sarah Michelle Gellar was all that and a bag of chips!

My husband told me on our first date that his first son was to be a Jr. Little did I know we would wind up married and have our first child be a boy.

I swore my second would be a boy so we only briefly discussed girl's names. I told my husband I got to pick since he picked our son's name. My daughter got the name I loved with my middle name.

The third we didn't even pick girls names. I was the only girl in the family with 4 brothers and 8 male cousins. I was shocked to already have one daughter so we were sure she would be a boy and was going to be named after both grandfathers. I was shocked to have a girl. She was named in a round about way after my great aunt who passed away 2 months before she was born. My aunt's name was Lizzette so my daughter was named Beth. It fits her.

ExH and I just chose standard names we liked that were neither too popular at the time nor too outdated. They weren't named for anybody in our families or after any celebrity/TV/movie characters.

Last edited:
Ah, you have a big so-and-so and a little so-and-so. We have several of those in both our extended families. Odd thing I never knew until later in life....women used to name daughters after themselves too. We have quite a few in DH's family. Nothing like a big 'X' and little 'X' as a women.
My uncle David married a woman named Wendy and years later I married a man named David. We are forever “Little Wendy and David” on my mom’s side of the family.

My DH wanted to name younger DD after me but I wasn’t feeling it. Plus I have two nieces named for me so she got my middle name as part of her first name as a compromise.
Shucks, I wasn't mad, I genuinely did find it funny. If he would have told me beforehand it meant anything to him I would have been happy to scrap the other middle name entirely. Everybody in DH's family for several generations had a son middle-named after the father; something I hadn't realized. DH's own middle name is his Dad's name. It was fine with me - totally.
I don’t think I’d be upset in your situation either but he changed the WHOLE name, the middle name for a guy she couldn’t stand.

Mine aren't named after anyone. I just liked the names, felt they went well with our last name and were just a tad different that what was the rage at the time.
Likewise here.

Vincent and Natalie. Middle names are after our dads' first names. Vince's middle name is Carmen, Marie's dad. Natalie's is Jean. My dad was Eugene, nickname Gene. Jean is female of Gene.

We picked two boys names, and two girls names we liked. No family ties.
For DS, one of the names was Phillip. He was born on Ground Hog day. We could not hang him with the same name as Punxsutawney Phil.
For DD, well, we failed. We picked Hillary. She was born a year before Bill Clinton announced he was running for President, so outside Arkansas, nobody had heard of her. She gets questions about that all the time. And there was my mom, who considered Hillary a boys name!

We wanted something traditional, yet not too common, for our son. And we liked Biblical names. His middle name is my grandfather's name (I grew up with my grandparents and Grandpa was my "dad" figure), DH's grandfather's name, and DH's father's middle name.

Had we had a girl, we'd picked Gillian Patricia for our mothers (my mom is Jill, but a friend of hers calls her Jillian all the time, and we just preferred it spelled with the G).

My husband told me on our first date that his first son was to be a Jr. Little did I know we would wind up married and have our first child be a boy.

I doubt I would have gone out on a second date.

I didn't have a choice. FIL said he would haunt me, if I didn't carry on the family name. DS is a third (III). He passed away a few years ago. So far, no hauntings in our house. I'm glad I gave in & toed the line instead of going with the name I wanted. :p

I'd choose the haunting.

I doubt I would have gone out on a second date.

I'd choose the haunting.
:laughing: Neither FIL nor I believe(d) in ghosts, so it was really just a joke between us. It came down to DS's name being more important to FIL & DH than it was to me. It has been a pain at times, but a benefit at others. I don't regret continuing the family name. If DH & I had gotten divorced, it would probably be a different story. :p

We weren't big on family names as most were old like George, Elmer, Clarence, etc. My first Mary- I just thought sounded so pure. She has my middle name for her middle. My oldest son's name was from 4 brothers by my cousins house, brad Brent brett Brian. I loved the name Brent he has his father's first name as his middle. My second daughter, Ashley was popular but I did the English spelling Ashleigh I picked a middle name I liked ( 2 years later ob named his daughter the exact same). Last son I liked the name Dustin. I didn't have a middle name so decided on an R name so his initials would be DR

I don't have kids but I do have two family name stories. I was going to be named Lisa Marie yes as in Lisa Marie Presley but my mom knew someone at work with the name Lisa that she could not stand so she changed it to another huge 1980's girls name. In my dad's family every boy on his dad's side of the family has had some form of the name Al in it for generation's. My dad's older brother was named Albert but they called him Alby because my grandpa's name was also Albert and that is what people called him. When my dad was born they messed up on the birth certificate and my grandma signed it really quick before my grandpa saw it because instead of Allen Glenn they had Glenn Allen which she liked better for obvious reasons lol. Allen is also my brothers middle name.

We were looking through a baby book and liked the name. It wasn’t popular back then but has since exploded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter