• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you cruise solo?

It is AMAZING! You are completely on your schedule!! Even if you and your friend you're cruising with are ok with doing separate things, it's just weird having someone else in the cabin.
Well I'm not single, and haven't been in years so it's not weird having someone else in my cabin. I can travel with my spouse or kids and still be on my own schedule and do my own thing. On the other hand if I was single and had not had kids it wouldn't stop from doing what I want either. Although I'd still probably find a friend to travel with.

i haven't but if money were no object I absolutely would. I (like many others) lead a busy hectic life and my vacations tend to be devoted to making other people happy. 3 nights sounds perfect, I would not do any longer but 3 precious nights to myself with nothing to do but roll up to the dinner table? heaven.

My mom did it several times, but never on Disney. She did several 7 day cruises solo, at at $299 on a line with a 50% surcharge for a single cabin. She felt $450 was still a bargain, and she never got off the ship in ports, or used the spa etc. Her only indulgence was a glass of wine with dinner.

For me I wish DCL beds still split in two and they would assign you roommate like the good old days of The Love Boat. LOL

There is no way that I would ever share a room with a stranger. That is just weird. I rather save money and pay the premium then share with a stranger. For me, even if I go with my daughters, husband, or sister, I am still paying out the same amount of money since I would be the one paying for the cruise anyway. I would love it if they charged less but I look at it like a hotel room, you pay one amount for the room, not per person. I try to eat enough for two. :P

I have a young child so not likely I'll be doing that anytime soon. However, I absolutely would. I don't have any issues eating by myself, going to the movies by myself, etc. I wouldn't want to eat in the MDR with a bunch of strangers though, nor would I want to order room service for dinner. Since Disney doesn't have a dinner buffet, that would likely push me to another cruise line.

There is no way that I would ever share a room with a stranger. That is just weird. I rather save money and pay the premium then share with a stranger. For me, even if I go with my daughters, husband, or sister, I am still paying out the same amount of money since I would be the one paying for the cruise anyway. I would love it if they charged less but I look at it like a hotel room, you pay one amount for the room, not per person. I try to eat enough for two. :P

It would be great if the new ships had solo cabins the way other cruise lines do.

I have a young child so not likely I'll be doing that anytime soon. However, I absolutely would. I don't have any issues eating by myself, going to the movies by myself, etc. I wouldn't want to eat in the MDR with a bunch of strangers though, nor would I want to order room service for dinner. Since Disney doesn't have a dinner buffet, that would likely push me to another cruise line.

You can still request a private table as a solo. I do.

So, I'm thinking about taking a quick 3-night cruise on the Dream but wanting to do it solo. I'm comfortable traveling alone, but I'm starting to wonder if it's weird to cruise by yourself. I'm just wanting a long weekend, some serious spa time - no dining rooms. Is this bizarre or has anyone else cruised solo?

Pete

Your paying for two people for the base cost. I’d find another solo friend, and split the cost. The bunk bed thing is pretty comfortable. I’ve been looking into the exact same thing this past week.

I know one day I will probably have to. My oldest is headed to college in just a few months and I'm sure my youngest will in her time. My spouse hasn't traveled with us in 10 years as he likes to do his own thing. I love traveling with my girls but I also love to cruise so I know I'll be all right.

ETA: And as much as I like the look of the NCL Studio rooms (and I know @Dug720 doesn't) I can never find them at a good price. For example, for a five night sailing in two weeks the price breakdown is: Studio-$699, Inside-$518, Oceanview-$698, Balcony-$599, Spa-$1798, Mini-Suite-$824, Haven-$3298. Obviously, that is based on availability but it kind of cracks me up.

I've never actually priced the studios myself, but from what I have read on the NCL boards, what you're finding isn't that unusual. The studios appear to be very popular, so they tend to sell quicker than the insides and their prices can rise quickly as availability drops. I've seen many people mention they could book an inside, pay the single supplement and still end up cheaper than a studio - crazy!. I'm guessing you'd have to book shortly after the cruise is released to see a reasonable studio price. Either that, or find a cruise that isn't selling that well. We always book way in advance, but I've seen a lot of people snag some terrific deals last minute - though apparently not on the cruise you looked at :).

I've done 10+ cruises solo with various cruise lines but the majority of them have been with Disney. I've even done two WBTA cruises with Disney and those where 14-nights not to mentioned the time I took off before and after the cruise (I was traveling in solo for a month). If you are okay being alone and/or meeting new people they are so many benefits to cruising solo and some cruise lines even offer solo staterooms (which I hope Disney incorporates into their new ships) which can save you on cruise costs.

It's funny how times change. For much of the history of the world, travelers would share rooms with strangers and sometimes even share beds!

That was out of necessity of space. Now it is not really needed. Plus people are creeps now, gross.

I did b2b solo cruises to Alaska on RCI in 2017 (16 nights), and have an upcoming solo Greek Isles cruise (9 nights) - also on RCI. I'll gladly travel somewhere by myself - if my husband/kids/friends don't want to accompany me.

I don't like MDRs. Actually it's a combination of the MDR and the food. The whole thing just takes too long.
I agree. I was on b2b2b RCI cruises in May 2017. My husband cruised with me on the first leg, so we ate dinner together every night in the main dining room. He went home after the first cruise, and I ate only one dinner in the MDR on the next 2 cruises - preferring to eat more quickly in the Windjammer.

I quite like the MDRs so even when my kids take their dessert to go or skip dessert all together I still linger over dessert by myself when we have no table mates. I love a leisurely meal on vacation. After all I have nowhere else to be!

I quite like the MDRs so even when my kids take their dessert to go or skip dessert all together I still linger over dessert by myself when we have no table mates. I love a leisurely meal on vacation. After all I have nowhere else to be!
I like a leisurely breakfast or lunch in the dining room, but those don't last as long as the dinners.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter