Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life for "V"! December 9-16 Commandeering the Magic!New pg6!

yes, I was stressing and had a headache before we even got onboard....I know, I like the idea of getting there and getting on the ship but I think next year we will definitely come later. We have a 9 and I am fine with that...the $$ we would have used to upgrade can be used as a deposit instead!

I like that!!!! I was thinking about upgrading too. We did the routine where we have two cabins - one cat 5 with verandah and the other an inside cat 11 across the hall. I've been bumming because I won't be able to sleep in the verandah cabin, so I thought I'd try to upgrade at the port. Now maybe I'll just use that money to book the next cruise...I like the way you think!!:thumbsup2

Ok Lilygator I am onboard so to speak. I learning new tips too (don't come early if you don't need to, prepare the kids for the lifejackets.)

I am looking forward to more. :thumbsup2

Great TR! We were on the ship the week before you...all week long we waited for the delayed space shuttle to take off. Glad you got to see it and thanks for the pics!

I LOVE your posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next cruise, I am DEFINATELY going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And when did Haley get all that hair???????

Hi V,

Great job. Thanks for bringing it all back.

Yes, I am very late in reading the TRs. But that's probably a good thing.

Go Gators!

D

By this time our room was ready so we headed on back to All Star Music. Our room was in that same dreaded Country Fair section we had prior this year. What on earth were they thinking with that color?

Couldn't agree more! The light brown part isn't so bad, but the other two... :scared1:

I'm late posting but I told you I'd get here...

What is there to say? You are a riot and I've enjoyed every post so far! :thumbsup2

The NASA feed on the Dumbotron is really cool - my DH would have loved that.

“V” first day thoughts…..as everyone in the cabin fell into easy slumber I tried to get everything put away and unpacked and generally straighten the room. I lie down reflecting on the crazy day…the day had been stressful, very stressful and it need not have been. I was so hung up on getting to the port ASAP, handing things out, meeting everyone, not having my list, the girls behaving, attending the DIS events, making sure Peg Leg was enjoying himself and just overall worry….next cruise, I will get to the port when I get there, boarding, grabbing a drink and finding a comfy deck chair. I will not worry about pleasing anyone other than myself and maybe my immediate family…(now, that sounds terribly selfish and mean doesn’t it?)

Sunday December 10th, 2006 ~ Pirate law #40 ~ A pirate must never visit a tanning salon. If he is not already tan enough from searching for treasure, he hasn't been searching hard enough.

Ahhh, (or should I say Arrrr!!) Castaway Cay…one of my most favorite places. Many people love it and some see nothing exciting about it whatsoever. We, as a family, love it. Really and truly and up to this point I have never been anywhere on the island other than the family beach and the kid’s club drop off area. We have also never ridden the tram, there is no need to – and that’s even with Skull Crusher’s bum knee, stairs are one thing – but walking is A-ok!

Really, there isn’t much to say, it’s an island, in the middle of the Bahamas that was once used by squatting drug smugglers with guns, big ones! But it’s stunning, the water is the perfect Caribbean blue and crystal clear. If only we could get rid of all the other pesky passengers and have it to ourselves! The sand is no where as nice as ours, nothing beats Siesta Key’s sand…

This sailing was a double dip, going to Castaway Cay twice, and one of the main reasons we booked this particular cruise. I was looking forward to the day as we had the Personal Watercraft Eco Tour planned.

Skull Crusher gently shook me around 6:40am…. “what? We’re debarking for Castaway Cay now, I better get up!” ~ nah, he just wanted to let me know he was headed to the gym to ride the bike. (not sure if I mentioned it, but he had knee surgery earlier in the year) and he was meeting Peg Leg ~ at least that is what the two had cooked up the night before. Peg Leg does Ironman’s and the like and sometimes can be pretty infectious with his talk of exercise. Clearly this is what happened to Crusher. I mean, my idea of exercise on vacation is walking from the ship to my beach chair and lifting the wine glass from the table to my lips. And up before 7am on vacation? The horror!

By the time he got back I was up and dressed while the girls were perfect angels curled up and sleeping soundly. I hate to wake them but knowing they could sleep until noon, I put their suits and cover ups on trying my best to ease the pain of being woken up. We decided to head to Topsider’s for breakfast. In all (two) of our previous cruises we have never dined there for breakfast, nor lunch for that matter (I don’t think!). One of the benefits of the category three last year was a lovely spread each morning and the space to sit and dine. No space for sitting at a table in our cabin.

As we left our cabin we were greeted by the first of our many DIS goodies!!
IMG_3157-1.jpg

And if you don’t get the whole banana thing, don’t worry, it’s a 12/9 Geek thing!

The CM’s were serving you and it kept the line moving slowly and agitated my dear Crusher to no end. But I’m sure it helped the waistline a little bit. We chose to eat outside so we could gaze upon our oasis….wow, it was COLD and windy!! I did like the trays for children, they are the old school cafeteria style with a place for everything!

IMG_3158-1.jpg

There was a large selection of general breakfast items...which was great. It got cold rather quickly due to the elements outside and quite honestly trying to get two toddlers, yourself, multiple trays and drinks through a line to a table is quite a daunting task...not one I am fond of tackling.

I couldn’t help but wonder how the day would turn out to be – hopefully it would be warm. We had a nice view of the ship Crusher wanted so badly to commandeer himself…
IMG_3159-1.jpg

We quickly finished up our breakfast and headed back down to the cabin to gather our beach gear…as we stepped off the elevator on deck two I heard a “Hi, V”…John and Andy (Jhalkias, goofyforgoofy) were already lined up to do the Castaway Cay mad dash for the perfect spot. I gave my husband the “look at the lengths these husbands go to for their wives, up early, waiting in line, letting their wives sleep in” look, but I don’t think he got it.

We got to our cabin and found this,
IMG_3160.jpg

The announcement that we could leave soon came…we were ready and set foot off the gangway to hurry and get a picture with the snow people…who knows how long before they melt!

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3163.jpg

Along with cheery CM’s giving out towels, egg nog and fresh from the oven cookies!
IMG_3164.jpg

We high stepped it to the family beach stopping to get the Flying Dutchman and the “fish”.
IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3172.jpg

IMG_3174.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3165.jpg

Not sure why, but I was in a foul mood this morning. It was too early for rum…or was it? Samantha was wanting to go to Scuttle’s Cove for the club, we dropped her off….the CM thought was in the 5-8 age group and almost made me feel as though I was lying about her age…nope, she’s 4! Loaded her up with sunscreen and kept on trucking down the path bypassing the stores….we found a spot in line with our Geeks and set up camp. I blew up the $0.25 rings that I had shipped down and Haley got to playing…

IMG_3175.jpg

IMG_3176-1.jpg

IMG_3177.jpg

IMG_3178.jpg

IMG_3179.jpg

ETA: those buckets are the ones from The Perfect Gift that Shirley so lovingly puts together....they are huge!

We had spoken with Peg Leg the night before and he would be meeting up with us on the beach to watch the baby while we went jet skiing.

Good times ahead!

As I continued to set up camp it was apparent that we had great stock in high SPF sunscreen but the oil was no where to be found. Crusher and I both love our Banana Boat oil, although I loathe banana’s. It’s a Carlin thing I guess…not necessarily for tanning purposes…not sure if you’ve noticed but I am a red head and don’t tan...but for the smell…it’s intoxicating and not a day at the beach without it. Plus, it’s not too shabby helping each other rub it on either….so he “ran” back to the ship to get it. While I waited Peg Leg and said Lass found our camp site.

DH got back just in time to get oiled up and head over to our tour site. We left our precious offspring in the hands of my father hoping all would be ok. The tour met at the beginning of the family beach essentially. As I sized up the others in our tour I soon realized how unprepared we were. These people had water shoes, specialty necklaces that held their Key to the World cards, water cameras, you name it…it was a diving magazine’s marketing dream. DH and I had ourselves in swimsuits…not even a towel! What can I say, we travel light!

Now the description for the tour read as follows:

Hold on tight for a fun-filled ride through the tropical paradise of Castaway Cay. Pilot your very own personal watercraft and follow your guide on an exciting one-hour excursion through turquoise-blue waters while learning all about the history, geology and marine life that surrounds you at every turn.

Port of Call: Castaway Cay
Activity Type: Nature
Activity Level: Moderate
Duration: 1 hour total, 45 minute ride
Price: Adult: $95 for a single rider
Child: $95 for a single rider Ages: 8 And Up

Additional Information: This tour is guided and includes a 10-15 minute briefing.
Maximum weight capacity per one-person personal watercraft is 375 pounds.
Guests are recommended to wear water shoes or sandals, as well as eyeglass straps.
To ride, you must be at least 8 years old. To drive, you must be at least 18 years old.
Guests ages 16 or 17 years old who wish to drive may do so with written authorization from a parent or guardian.
Guests board watercraft from the water.

The tour consisted of the two of us, another couple and a man along with the tour guides. As we all checked in there was a women briefing us and giving us instruction on how to properly use the watercrafts. I was distracted though, I was trying to listen but – not sure how it is for other women – have you seen the movie “What Women Want” with Mel Gibson and Helen Hunt? That’s me, always talking, thinking in my head….always…and at this point I was thinking about this woman and envying her job. I would love to live in the Caribbean, sitting on a beach all day, giving instruction out to tourists then talk about them when they leave, not having to wear anything but a swimsuit to work….wonder if she can drink on the job, she doesn’t appear to have to operate any heavy machinery.

Wake up, it’s time to get in the water….in the Caribbean….in December. Yes, it is cold, no not just cold…but COLD. And the bottom of the ocean is not nice and sandy but rather rocky and those water shoes I was eyeing earlier would have come in handy. They so don’t go with a bikini though.

I boarded my water craft and immediately felt invincible. “Gentlemen, start your engines!” We headed out around the ship, single file. I was really bummed that I hadn’t thought ahead to bring a throw away water camera…..as we passed the ship I noticed all the cabins that had our Geek signature pirate flag on them. I could see my father’s as he was next door to the infamous Todd…did I mention that my father was UPGRADED? He booked within the 90 day period before the cruise took place. I called him when Florida resident rates came out and saved him $800. They had booked a category 9. I had been constantly checking the DCL site and one day noticed they had been upgraded to a 6…yes a SIX! No, I wasn’t jealous in the least.

Back to the tour…the water was a bit choppy…I soon become conscious to the fact that I was the dead weight in this tour…even the old lady was a better jet skier than I! The guides had to “come and round me up” several times….and my dear, love me to the end, husband was the lead of the pack not even worrying about where I was in shark infested waters. The basic jist of this tour was a jet ski ride around the ship and around the adult beach area of Castaway Cay.

Yes we stopped every now and then, probably more so, so I could catch up…and wow, when those moments happened I was allowed to SPEED!! AWESOME! We learned of mangroves, sea grapes, etc…pretty much everything native to the Bahamas is also native to Florida, who woulda thunk?

“V” tip ~ for the Eco Tour….if you are skiddish, do the double rider…and if you don’t like rocks, sea life or fish, don’t go. The tour is basically the ability to jet ski around Castaway Cay, nothing more. Unless of course you don’t know anything about plant life at the beach.

So we got back to shore….and luckily the lady I was envying earlier had towels for us fools who didn’t bring them! We headed back to the camp site to find this…

IMG_3180.jpg

IMG_3181-1.jpg

IMG_3182.jpg

What an angel…..!

And yes, dad did good! He said she passed out about 10 minutes after we left. The beach does that to you…well, to the four of us, lulls us right down.

One thing I could not believe was how empty the family beach was. I mean empty….

We decided to go get some lunch….from Cookie’s which I usually get for all of us and bring back to the beach…Crusher’s got it good. So we ate and drank….I admit, I am not a Konk Kooler fan….I mean, yes, I order it and drink it, but it isn’t the highlight of my trip or anything.

We hung out a bit…
IMG_3189.jpg

IMG_3193.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

IMG_3195.jpg

IMG_3196.jpg

IMG_3197.jpg

Soon we were paged that Samantha wanted her family…..go figure. We collected her and came back to find dark skies above….

Loved the jet ski experience!! I would have been exactly the same, but you should see me on the freeway!!:lmao:
Karen

That must be awesome to see the flying dutchman!!! Peyton would go bonkers if he saw that!! He loves Davy Jones, aka. Crab Crab in our house.

Great Trip Report!!!

I had to go back and reread the cast of characters seeing as I am new to the TR's and hadn't read your others yet. I thought at first it was a guy writing it (sorry - I started off to fast, I guess), however it really made me laugh at the comment about the underwire bras and security!!!

Can't wait to hear more!!! popcorn:: popcorn:: popcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter