Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life for "V"! December 9-16 Commandeering the Magic!New pg6!

Still…Sunday December 10th, 2006 ~ Pirate law #9 ~A pirate should always remove his hat in the presence of a bartender.

Dark skies cause erratic behavior in many humans, as in, make them scatter like bugs on extermination day. These were not yet “everyone out of the water” skies ….simply a summer storm, in the dead of winter. Being a native Floridian, skies like this usually last between 20 and 40 minutes and then Mr. Sun comes shining through.

IMG_3198.jpg

POOF! Just like that, the beaches cleared, scads of floats were left for just anyone to snag, and it was a HAMMOCK HOGS heaven! We had a nice chat with a couple who were ecstatic to have a hammock, regardless that we had to be back on the ship in a matter of moments. 5 minutes in one of those….with no one around, well…could be heaven??!!

We decided we better head back – after all – tonight was our Palo dinner and we (meaning I) needed to get beautified!

We gathered our belongings happily heading out on foot back to the ship….knowing we would be back within the week was such a comforting thought. We still have yet to ride the tram in all of our visits to Castaway Cay. Maybe one of these days. I do know it will be odd seeing the tram naked – as in – not dressed as Rudolph.

The ship as we headed back…
IMG_3199.jpg

The Flying Dutchman…
IMG_3203.jpg

Both gangways were open as we returned but alas, no cookies and eggnog were there to greet us….just antiseptic lotion and hand washing materials. Our bags were scanned for any illegal goodies, our cards swiped and surprisingly we made it back on the ship!

As we got back to the room to start sprucing up for dinner, both girls promptly fell asleep. We had switched our Palo plans which in turn led to last minute Flounder’s changes. We had a message from Flounder’s that yes, in fact, they did have room for Haley this evening. Pixie dusted yet again.

That pixie dust would not last long, in all my precise packing I had forgotten an essential element. The Palo TIE!

I was in a panic…immediately. I knew I couldn’t have forgotten a tie….or could I? We can’t go to Palo without a tie could we? Someone on the DIS would surely report us back as the flip flop, jean wearing, bare shouldered, gum smacking rednecks ruining their dining experience and I could not have that.

Without delay I called Amy and John (Jhalkias, waltsgirl) surely they would be able to rescue me from the depths of despair, as well as from embarrassing ourselves beyond belief. (why yes, that is an Anne quote ~ she is my kindred spirit!)

They did have a tie, but would it go with a pink shirt? Yes, Crusher is man enough to wear pink in public. After all, he did wear pink socks to the hospital on the day both his daughters were born, in Samantha’s case they lasted two days! In the meantime he had crafted his own tie out of a pirate bandanna we had brought along.

IMG_3204.jpg

He felt it was perfectly acceptable and could serve a dual purpose in napkin usage.

Help had finally arrived in the form of OSU? Desperate times call for desperate measures….and red can be pulled off with pink, I think. (no really, we were greeted with an Ohio State tie and an alternate….thank goodness John and Amy pack well!)

We finished up, gathered the girls, dropped them off and headed to Palo. Palo, is well, fantastic. I may be a small town Polk county girl – but I love the food, the servers, the atmosphere – the no kids thing is nothing to sneeze at either. And Crusher – what can I say, he ADORES Palo….which was quite a shock to me.

We were Palo royalty this particular evening, we had the private dining room….(Crusher is still questioning how in the world we were invited!) Our dinner mates were Lisa and Mike (lbgraves), Kim and Steve (kimerinc), PJ (pjpoohbear) and Amy and John (waltsgirl and Jhalkias). The infamous Marco was our server, I had heard lots about him, but this was our first dining experience with him. He truly is fantastic! Instead of ordering appetizers he simply brought us one of everything.

This is what was left of the calamari…
IMG_3207.jpg

IMG_3208.jpg

We shared family style and got a bit of everything.

This was either mine or DH’s, at this rate I cannot recall….
IMG_3209.jpg

Alas, this was the end of Palo fine dining photos for the evening (I shall be more diligent next time). Truth be told, I was a tad embarrased to be "click, take a pic" about my food.

Dessert was up next ~ chocolate soufflé everyone RAVES about…was something I don’t like as I don’t like chocolate. I know – a chic who doesn’t like chocolate, but what’s even wilder there was another one at our table!!! Kim (kimerinc) a fellow kindred spirit was after the tiramisu. Which, I really didn’t care for either. Gimme a cheesecake already!

The meal, the company, the atmosphere, the food, the service ~ GOOD TIMES!

Now, I don’t have a functioning scanner (rather, it is user related) so I took a picture of a picture!

IMG_4612.jpg

OMG - Dh and I are looking at this tonight, he looks really LIT! He did have a beer
IMG_4615.jpg

Thanks for the next installment. Worth the wait! Nothing like a good "Palo story" to put a smile on my face! ...and with pictures, too!

YEAH V. You didn't forget about all of us waiting for the next installment of your fabulous TR! Thought it was great that John first brought over the Ohio State tie....that red and pink must have looked great.

Thanks for posting that picture, Vanessa. :) It is great to look back at our fantastic cruise. I can't believe that it was over 4 months ago. :(

Fantastic Report!
Thanks for sharing with us!!:goodvibes

Thanks for posting that picture, Vanessa. :) It is great to look back at our fantastic cruise. I can't believe that it was over 4 months ago. :(
I know!!! I am bummed no December cruise this year!!
I'm sure we'll meet up again at some point though.

As we wind Sunday down, Crusher and I found ourselves with a bit of free time before we had to pick up Haley from Flounder’s. We skipped our way into the middle of an act at Rockin’ Bar D. One of our favorite bartenders was there…..Bonita! We met Bonita the previous cruise and she is a delight, makes a pretty darn good drink too!

IMG_3210.jpg

IMG_3211.jpg

We didn’t stay for long – enough to say hello and throw one back and then went to pick up the girls. As we headed down to our room I began to think of how much I would just love to live on Castaway Cay....first thing I would get rid of is that dock and pesky Disney ship though. ;) It really is my idea of heaven.

As we drug outselves into our room, we were greeted with a towel animal and a “treasure map” as Samantha called it. Goodness knows I could use some treasure - these vacations are not cheap!

IMG_3213.jpg

IMG_3212.jpg

Quickly got jammies on the girls, flipped on the tv for them but they were out rather quickly. Crusher also was asleep as soon as he hit the pillow and me, well I was left to straighten up the cabin, read through the navigators and reflect on the day. Truly there wasn't much left to straighten – I adore coming back to the cabin and the beds are turned down, fresh ice in the ice bucket, the porthole is covered, lights dim – all I need is some champagne, chocolate covered strawberries oh and a baby sitter! I laid down to dream of those chocolate covered strawberries…they would be mine in the morning – you see, we had Palo brunch scheduled!

Monday December 11th, 2006 ~ Day at Sea ~ Formal Night ~ Pirate Law #63 A pirate may tell any tale of swashbuckling without being called on the details, as long as at least 51% of the story is true.

The day dawned at sea not much different than the previous, Crusher went to the gym to ride the bike and the girls and I slept in enough that we missed the character breakfast. Now I have nothing against character meals, we have done tons of them at the World – which is probably why I feel there really is no need to frantically get up early and get dressed to make the one on the ship – especially since the Fab Five really don’t do it for me. And napkin twirling at 8am - maybe only if you are still up partying from the night before...!

We took the girls up to Topsider’s for breakfast…
IMG_3214.jpg

Choosing to dine inside this time!

After breakfast we were able to drop off Haley to Flounder’s a bit early and Samantha to her club to participate in Mousekeeter Training. I had left a message for my dad that our Palo Brunch was at 10:30 and what the proper attire was but we hadn’t heard from him. I assumed he was still running, biking or swimming somewhere and would meet us at Palo.

We arrived to Palo early of course….
IMG_3215.jpg

IMG_3216.jpg

And were joined by many DIS’ers…our group had secured the private room as well as many of the tables outside of the private room. Crusher and I dined with Andy and Kristina (goofyforlife and goofyforgoofy) My dad was no where to be seen….I was a bit perturbed…I had Lisa – lbgraves – go out of her way to add him to our group reservation. Oh well! I couldn't dwell on this long....my name was being chanted again and again by sweet little cheesecakes...as we were led to our table we had the choice of champagne or the mimosa I believe it is ---- now that’s the way to start your day!

This brunch was much different than last year (not food wise), the CM’s were set up to serve you around the buffet stations. I know it was to prevent sickness, etc, but it really was rather bothersome. I also failed to take pictures of the buffet, as there were just so many people up there at one time, it seemed pretty crowded. It is a gorgeous spread and the view from Palo is pretty spectacular as well.

As a non breakfast person I love that you are able to get other items including dessert. Shrimp seemed to find its way to my plate again and again. The shrimp in Palo are larger than the shrimp in the dining rooms and I am definitely a shrimp lover – I think after several trips for shrimp alone the server gave me a huge helping! Crusher had several of the made to order items from the grill – along with several trips to the buffet.

This was one of the desserts….
IMG_3217.jpg

IMG_3218.jpg

My dad comes strolling in at NOON! Our reservation was at 10:30 am (or was it 10?)!! He was under the impression this was a buffet in the sense Topsider’s is a buffet….you show up whenever! Color me embarrassed..but that’s nothing yet. He was able to sit at our table and dine with us….Kristina, Andy and I were all pretty much through though so I sat for a bit and then left Crusher to dine some more.

I left and wandered a bit ~ wasn’t sure what to do with myself all alone. Haley was in Flounder’s until 2 so I went to Shutters and picked up some of our photos, went to Guest Services and put some Disney Dollars on our room charges and headed over to get Haley.

Samantha was still having fun in the club so I went back to try and find my dear husband, he had gone to the room to change….come to find out he had CLOSED Palo…yes, he was there from brunch opening to closing and their table was the last one in there! I could not believe it! As we walked around trying to burn off some of that 4 hour gobble fest we ran into Captain Hook!

IMG_3219.jpg

IMG_3221.jpg

In our wandering we made it to the Mickey Pool and stopped by Pluto’s Dog House for chicken tenders and fries….no NOT for Crusher, but for Haley.

IMG_3222.jpg

A lovely server was tempting us with the drink of the day – The Yellow Bird – 2 for 1! Crusher had just enough champagne in him to agree….just as the drinks were set on the table the pager started paging – “hey, come get your kid, she’s had enough of this Mouseketeer training”. Crusher went and scooped her up and brought her back up on deck. My DOD was not going over well with me…it had some kind of banana extract in it…YUCK!

After filling the girls with the wonderfully nutritious tenders and fries we made our way back down to deck two for naps – tonight was Formal Night!

“V” tip ~ this is more of a note to self ~ feed husband before dining at Palo brunch…..

formal night….ARRRRR, scurrrrvvvyyy Pirates don’t dress up!!! or do they?

truth be told…I do like to be a Princess now and then….and I adore dressing up…LOVE IT!! Neither of our jobs are such that have any formal occasions nor do we have any sort of friends who have any type of formal functions…so evening gown wearin’ is slim to none ‘round these parts.

Arriving back at the room, all Pirates and Princesses fell into a deep slumber…myself included. I awoke around 4pm to take a relaxing and quiet bath – yeah right! Bath that is, that thing is the tiniest tub I have ever laid eyes on….shower it is and I was able to do makeup and hair while everyone slept.

I finally got everyone up and ready and we were on our way ---- looking smashing of course!

IMG_3227.jpg

Opted for pictures before dinner…..one line was l-o-n-g and the Captain’s line was short! So we did both….waltzed to our table to find our tablemates not there….I believe they were dining in Palo this evening….(if I am recalling correctly – becka feel free to chime in here)

IMG_3234.jpg

Crusher and I both had the beef dish and the girls something child friendly….
IMG_3233.jpg

IMG_3231.jpg

IMG_3235.jpg

I think Samantha was at the table for all of five seconds before whining to go to the club - I am beginning to wonder – does she even like us? And what are they brain washing these kids with anyway? (this is why she is not in many of the dinner photos)

IMG_3239.jpg

After dinner we met up with Pegleg and Jezebel for a group shot….
IMG_3241.jpg

Then back to the room to change for the evenings festivites…
IMG_3242.jpg

IMG_3243.jpg

Haley was scheduled to go to Flounder’s at 8, so we dropped her off an headed to the Diversions……it was Monday Night Football….Bears and the Rams….had to see my Rexie babe!! (the Gator boy and on my Fantasy team) we managed to leave and hit the 10:15 ventriloquist.

IMG_3245.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

It was really funny!! I am glad we went….afterward….pick up the girls and head to dreamland….tomorrow is Costa Maya!!

Oh my GOD, Hailey looks JUST like SAMANTHA did at that age!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ADORABLE!!!! And look at that Hot Sexy Hoochie Mama!!! :lmao:

Oh my GOD, Hailey looks JUST like SAMANTHA did at that age!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ADORABLE!!!! And look at that Hot Sexy Hoochie Mama!!! :lmao:

OMG ---- you and I HAVE to meet one day!!

For everyone else...we "met" on a baby message board many moons ago -----her dear Peyton and my Samantha are a few weeks apart, and she finally moved to Florida....although not close to me!!! AND we missed each other at DTD/MK this past Saturday!:scared1:

WooHoo V! You posted more! Ok so my next cruise is in 8 weeks exactly tomorrow. Think you can finish it by then? Take it as a "Pirate" Challenge!

OMG ---- you and I HAVE to meet one day!!

For everyone else...we "met" on a baby message board many moons ago -----her dear Peyton and my Samantha are a few weeks apart, and she finally moved to Florida....although not close to me!!! AND we missed each other at DTD/MK this past Saturday!:scared1:

Now, how the heck did we do that??? I was positive you were going the week before and we were going to just miss each other. And I know I didnt see you at DTD/MK, because I would have instantly recognized you!!! :laughing: I probably would have noticed the girls first.

We are probably going to have to meet up at Siesta Keys and West Palm Beach. :banana: Then again, going on vacation somewhere other then disney!! :scared1: It just doesnt sound right, does it!! :rotfl2:

Tuesday December 12th, 2006 ~ Pirate law #62 ~ Spilling rum is not acceptable, except in the act of "pouring some out for dead mateys". Costa May day! (I think I lost/skipped a day – the rum will do that to you!)

(courtesy of Wikipedia) Costa Maya is small tourist resort in the state of Quintana Roo, Mexico, located between Cancun and Belize. The area is generally undeveloped but has been growing quickly and rapidly after construction of a large pier to accommodate cruise ships.

Costa Maya's port has a new and modern shopping mall. The mall has a central plaza with a pool and "swim-up" style bars. There are several jewelry stores and many small shops selling ubiquitous souvenir items.

Costa Maya is the closest port of access to many of the lesser known Mayan ruins in the Yucatan including Chacchoben and Kohunlich. These sites are substantially less excavated than the better known pyramids near Cancun.

The fishing village of Mahahual is a short distance south of Costa Maya. The village has soft sand beaches, grass thatched palapas, and a coral reef a short distance off-shore, as well as several bars, restaurants, and shops. A resort development called New Mahahual is being created directly inland from the port.

Costa Maya is currently on the malaria watch list, which means that after visiting, persons cannot donate blood for up to one year. (wow, kinda scary!)

Now Crusher and I have so been looking forward to Costa Maya, our (as in “our” DIS) cruise director took it upon herself to arrange a DIS group tour to the Chacchoben ruins with the infamous David!! We docked and were cleared around 8:30….we had ordered room service breakfast and then dropped the girls off at the Club and Flounder’s. I am not all that comfortable leaving them on the ship while I trapse all over some island…but I knew they would be a huge pest to our surrounding bus mates and tour mates. (4 and almost 2 year olds on a 45 min bus ride? No thanks!)

As we set foot off the ship we were greeted with this…

IMG_3247.jpg

And of course Crusher can’t pass up a photo opportunity with a beautiful woman…

IMG_3248.jpg

IMG_3249.jpg

As we walked to our bus site we passed the swim up bar and various vendor booths…

We made it to our spot and boarded the busses….David was very very nice, informative and such fun. I tried to take pictures along the way….we were able to pay for the tour prior to the cruise via Paypal which I thought was a nice feature..one less thing to worry about!

IMG_3250.jpg

IMG_3251.jpg
pineapples for DH!

IMG_3252.jpg

IMG_3253.jpg

IMG_3254.jpg

IMG_3255.jpg

When we arrived to the site David led us around and gave us the history…..which really fascinates me ---- after dance my major was anthropology – I would have loved to go on a dig somewhere….!

Lilygator,

I am enjoying your cruise report. My family and I did the double dip in July 2006. It was our best cruise ever. We were on the waiting list for a Cat. 1 and we were able to upgrade 6 weeks prior to the cruise to the Roy Disney Suite for only an additional $600. It worked out great because our daughter took her fiance on the cruise. My husband and I loved Costa Maya. We took dune buggies on an excursion and we enjoyed seeing the beauty of the land. The kids hated it though. They couldn't wait to get to Cozmel...They are the partying type...

Yes, I am from Sarasota, Florida..In matter of fact I was born and raised here. I graduated from Riverview High School. Our two daughters graduated from Sarasota High and both went to USF in Tampa. Our son just graduated from Riverview High and will be attending Florida State this fall..I know you are a gator .... but there is room for a few Seminole moms on this board...

Keep up the trip report..Your daughters are adorable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter