Your least favorite Disney sit-down restaurant

Never again - Ohana and Garden Grill, both had terrible service and totally forgettable food.
FWIW one of our all time favorite meals was Maya Grill at CSR. Truly fabulously service and the grandkids licked their plates clean!! Food was SOOOOO good.

Though the staff was great, we didnt enjoy the food at Mama Melrose's....to the point we had to stop and eat after we finished "dinner".

The Edison, worst service we ever had, poor food, bad server, got food poisoning also..
We had a pretty awful experience at the Edison, very poor service (brought us the wrong table's food not just once but twice. We had enough after the second round, the manager tried to make things right but it was too late then there was the poor communication between the server and the manager, and once again the manager had to step in. I thought it was just unlucky us, but hearing about your experience thinks we were not alone.

Coral Reef- The rolls were hard. The clam chowder was very bland and watery. My husband's steak was fatty and had a lot of grisle. My Mahi-mahi was actually pretty good but not enough to return for.

Yachtsmans- We may have just had a bad night because I know this restaurant is well loved. The food was just ok. We can't justify the prices enough to go back.

It's all subjective but there are a couple I have feelings about....

Tusker House in AK. It's a buffet with characters. It's nicely decorated and I'm always fond of AC anywhere at AK. But the food is bland and weird. It's supposed to be Indian or African influenced, but it doesn't taste like anything but squishy with coconut milk. It's like Vegas Vacation - "I'll have some of the yella".

Another loser for me is Garden Grove. Another buffet with characters (but run by Marriott). My family went there for dinner a couple of years ago. It was very low-key, that's great. But the characters were extra dingy, like the costumes were cast offs from some better character meal. Otherwise, dinner was strangely reminiscent of Thanksgiving dinner at a Howard Johnson's restaurant in western Pennsylvania in 1985..... Sliced roast beef, mashed potatoes, shrimp cocktail, vegetable soup, mountains of dinner rolls. It was good, but it wasn't. The highlight I suppose is that I think Marriott does a much better job of buffet desserts than Disney. Disney desserts seem like a lot of beautiful cardboard sometimes.... Marriott kicks some cake butt.

Congratulations for being the first person on this board to ever advise against Tusker House.... that takes guts.

On a real note avoid Ohana, service sucks. Either rushed or lazy and takes forever. I’ve never had “normal” service there and I refuse to go back until they start taking it seriously. Also Hollywood Brown Derby, service sucks and the food isn’t worth the absurd price tag (a lot of people love the food so maybe the abysmal - almost offensive - service ruined the food for me). You’re paying to say you ate at a fake Hollywood Brown Derby clone.

Tony’s - so bad I have never been back. My spaghetti was seriously overcooked and served in a pool of tepid water - with a can of uncooked crushed tomatoes served over it...just awful!

Le Cellier in Canada pavilion of Epcot - not necessarily because of the food but because of the layout of the tables. Think sardine can and you get the idea - so crammed together you could eat off the plates of the people at adjacent tables. One silver lining to the Covid-19 cloud: I’m guessing Disney will have the good sense to re-think the number of tables in this and other restaurants (the one in the Mexico pavilion is just as bad).

Mama Melrose was a tire fire in terms of food quality and authenticity.

I realize this puts me in the minority, but I really hated Liberty Tree Tavern. Everything was rich and mushy and bland.

Love Le Cellier. I live in a big city, so I find the constant criticism of the tables being too close together a bit ridiculous.

We were not big fans of [EDIT: Mama Melrose's. Ack, named the wrong place!] the one and only time we went.

We thought The Edison was lacking, although we went for lunch, and that might have been part of it.

We used to love the Coral Reef restaurant, but their menu has substantially trimmed down, their service has declined noticeably, and the one time we sat near the tank, everybody and their uncle would send their kids up to take pictures and bumping into our seats. We won't be back for awhile.

Last edited:
On a real note avoid Ohana, service sucks. Either rushed or lazy and takes forever. I’ve never had “normal” service there and I refuse to go back until they start taking it seriously...
I will say that we ate there in February, fireworks view and never felt one bit of a rush at all. Our server was spot on in his service of our table and took good care of us, at least we did have a good experience. I was nervous after some of the comments by Pete and other reivews, but that was not our experience.

Blahs: Boma, Hollywood & Vine, Cinderella’s Royal Table, 1900 Park Faire

Faves: Akershus, Liberty Tree Tavern, Garden Grill, 50’s Prime Time

I will say that we ate there in February, fireworks view and never felt one bit of a rush at all. Our server was spot on in his service of our table and took good care of us, at least we did have a good experience. I was nervous after some of the comments by Pete and other reivews, but that was not our experience.

Lucky you, I’m 0/2... I’m not spending that much money there again on a crapshoot.

My husband and I both agree that Via Napoli is not worth the time, money, or effort to get an ADR. Service was terrible, restaurant is over-packed and noisy, and the pizza was just okay.

Me personally, I wasn't overly-impressed with Hollywood Brown Derby. The food and dining experience as a whole in my opinion is not signature dining-worthy. Should only be 1 TS credit on the DDP.

Breakfast at Crystal Palace was bad--food wasn't good, characters showed up right as we were leaving, haven't returned. We won't go back to Le Cellier. The service was good but food was super-duper salty. Rose & Crown during Epcot fireworks was a nice experience but the food wasn't good. Other than that Boma was really good once and not good the second time, with hair in two different bowls of soup, which is disgusting. No real hurry to return to 'Ohana--food has gone downhill over the years and the service is really hit or miss. As others have mentioned, Via Napoli is REALLY loud inside, so loud that if we can't sit outside then we won't eat there.

Last edited:
Congratulations for being the first person on this board to ever advise against Tusker House.... that takes guts.
Lol, I guess that makes me the second. I love middle eastern and indian food (it's what I grew up eating), but I think it's because I love it that I feel Tusker's version is just not good--the flavors are all watered down, and the quality of the carved meats has been poor and overcooked each time. We've also been kept waiting loooong past our reservation time every time there, and had repeatedly bad service. We keep going for the characters but I hate that the only thing I care to eat there is the hummus, and that is a heck of a steep price for hummus.

If I did have to pick a never again restaurant, it would definitely be Chef Mickeys though. The bad reviews really are not exaggerations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter