Air Fryer ?

You put the foil in the non-stick basket that people complain about the coating coming off? And everything cooks the same that way? Still deciding if I should open the Power XL I have or get something different.

Thanks!

Yes, both on the PowerXL and the Evine one I put foil down on the bottom. Everything cooks fine. You might not get the grill marks from the special inserts but there's really no difference and the clean up is a lot quicker.

Yes, both on the PowerXL and the Evine one I put foil down on the bottom. Everything cooks fine. You might not get the grill marks from the special inserts but there's really no difference and the clean up is a lot quicker.

Thank you!

Question. I have a beer batter recipe that I swear by. I use if for onion rings and for fish fry. Since they are handmade and not frozen, it can be a bit gooey (which in a deep fryer is not a problem), would that kind of cooking be problematic in an air fryer? Since really they need to float to fry/solidify?
We just made fish with a batter in ours the other night and they turned out well with some tweaking. We made sure the batter was thicker and turned it up on high to make sure it crisped up.
Granted our fryer is the oven style, not the basket, and we’ve had both. The oven style seems to work better for us.

Just had our first air fryer semi-fail last night. I made homemade pizza pockets with wonton wrappers, mozzarella and marinara. A few of the wontons opened and made a cheesy mess of the basket (my fault for overstuffing a few) and they didn't really cook evenly. I didn't overcrowd the basket and still some parts of the wonton were near-raw and others too crisp. Oh well!
First these sound great if they turn out right!
This is one of the reasons why we switched to the oven style air fryer. If something leaks, it is caught in the tray.
Now I have to figure out how to make this recipe gluten free!

Question. I have a beer batter recipe that I swear by. I use if for onion rings and for fish fry. Since they are handmade and not frozen, it can be a bit gooey (which in a deep fryer is not a problem), would that kind of cooking be problematic in an air fryer? Since really they need to float to fry/solidify?

would it be possible to prep some and then put them on a baking sheet lined with parchment or waxed paper to do a light/fast freeze on (maybe 30-34 minutes just to reduce the goo factor)? we've done frozen battered fish several times that comes out great.

I guess this is not the thread for people that believe in the Paleo style guidance that says that low fat diets are unhealthy. I use healthy fats in all my cooking and man, it tastes so much better. I don't deep fry anything, but sure saute a lot.

I guess this is not the thread for people that believe in the Paleo style guidance that says that low fat diets are unhealthy. I use healthy fats in all my cooking and man, it tastes so much better. I don't deep fry anything, but sure saute a lot.

for our household the air fryer in no way replaces sauteing or general pan type frying it's just that something that we would traditionally do in the oven (frozen fries and such) tastes MUCH better coming from the air fryer. would they taste better deep fried? OH YEAH-but i hate dealing with my deep fryer and the clean up/time it entails so we've never used for the bulk of frozen stuff. the air fryer gives it the deep fried taste/texture w/o the mess.

with the exception of baking and a few odd recipes that demand regular cooking oil we use entirely olive oils and i have to agree with you on the taste aspect. steamed veggies may work for some folks but i much prefer sauteing mine (esp. since we've found a source for the best butter flavor olive oil i've ever tasted).

Sounds like this thread maybe does apply to people like you then. I am the same in that I don’t deep fry anything (air frying is so much easier and tastes better to me) and I sauté a lot with healthy fats. I don’t think people who airfry have anything against healthy fats

Keto here so I use lots of healthy fats and clean eating, and I use my air fryer as much as possible.

Air Fryers are great for frozen fried foods (french fries, chicken nuggets etc). Also safer to use since we all know the science of frozen foods and deep frying.

Keto here so I use lots of healthy fats and clean eating, and I use my air fryer as much as possible.

We're also keto and have learned that the air fryer turns dinner sausages (smoked sausage, kielbasa, even hot dogs) into a next-level delight! Same with meatballs (we've found some high fat, tolerable carb count brands of frozen or we mix up our own really quick).

Paired with some kind of veg or salad it makes a wonderfully easy quick meal.

I just purchased a Power Airfryer XL and am trying to find some healthy, from scratch foods to try. I fixed french fries (cut, soaked in cold water, dried, then put in zip lock with 1t. olive oil and seasonings). Both dh & I liked them.

I notice a lot of people get frozen breaded things to fry. Aren't they loaded with fat already? I usually fix things from scratch, but did buy some breaded frozen jalapeno poppers and they were loaded with fat. Would anyone have any proven (from scratch) recipes for the fryer such as chicken, fish, etc.

Well I did get my power air fryer XL. I love it. I also bought my DD the one from Costco called Gourmia (something like that). I cook my frozen/fresh veggies, chicken, shrimp, fish, steaks, hamburgers, hotdogs, grilled cheese sandwich, ham steaks and sometimes bacon. I also heat up leftover pizza, frozen pizza,bread/rolls, hamburger buns, and texas cheese toast. Plus frozen pretzels, fries,onion rings etc.I'm sure there's other stuff too.

I love using mine for dinner and meal prepping. DD who is a college student and lives on campus loves hers too. She was not a cook but this has made cooking so easy. She meal preps her chicken, talipa, shrimp and veggies. She also does corn dogs, mini pizzas, garlic knots from Sam's Club, I think she did cinnamon rolls and cresent rolls, frozen churros etc.

oh and we both love making fresh/frozen hot wings oh so good with zero oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I use my air fryer more than my stove and oven

I just purchased a Power Airfryer XL and am trying to find some healthy, from scratch foods to try. I fixed french fries (cut, soaked in cold water, dried, then put in zip lock with 1t. olive oil and seasonings). Both dh & I liked them.

I notice a lot of people get frozen breaded things to fry. Aren't they loaded with fat already? I usually fix things from scratch, but did buy some breaded frozen jalapeno poppers and they were loaded with fat. Would anyone have any proven (from scratch) recipes for the fryer such as chicken, fish, etc.

This is sort of why I gave mine to dd. I used it for fries, onion rings, chicken strips or nuggets. All breaded frozen stuff that I only fix now when the granddaughters visit. DD is getting a lot more use out of it but I am honestly not sure what they use it for. Their diet ranges from ultra healthy to ultra NOT healthy depending on the week.

I prefer making my own of all of that except the fries maybe. And those, I just buy the Ore Ida extra crispy and bake them in a 425 oven on a pizza pan with the holes in it after I spray them with oil spray. come out crispy every single time.

The fryer took up way to much counter space for the few times I actually used it.

Have an actifry, the 2 layer one, and I’ve never actually used it for premade food. I cut up chicken breasts and coat them in crushed up checks cereal (gf) then air fry them - they turn out great. I often do crispy boneless pork by tossing the pork in a little rice flour and the air frying it. And because I have the two layer one I like to make turkey burgers to put in the top and the little yellow potatoes and carrots in the bottom - they turn out great. Really you can cook anything in them, just think beyond the breading ;)

Thanks @luvsJack & @gypsy_at_heart. Know what you mean by our older kids eating healthy (or not) depending on the day of week - LOL I will definitely be thinking 'outside the box' as the whole idea of my airfryer is to continue eating healthy like we already try to. I don't buy pre breaded foods, but I do love fries and chicken.

Have only had my fryer two days, have made some pretty tasty fries and am trying chicken wings tonight. Love the convenience and easy clean up also.

Yes, they do take up counter space, and I also just purchased an Instapot. Thankfully, I do have a good bit of counter space.

Have an actifry, the 2 layer one, and I’ve never actually used it for premade food. I cut up chicken breasts and coat them in crushed up checks cereal (gf) then air fry them - they turn out great. I often do crispy boneless pork by tossing the pork in a little rice flour and the air frying it. And because I have the two layer one I like to make turkey burgers to put in the top and the little yellow potatoes and carrots in the bottom - they turn out great. Really you can cook anything in them, just think beyond the breading ;)
I just got mine. I love that my anniversary is just a month before Christmas. It will allow me to test a bunch of recipes and have them ready by Christmas.

I already roll chicken pieces in crushed gluten free cereal. But I've been putting it in the oven. Time to try it in the new air fryer.

What's this with the pork? Small pieces? Slices? or what?

I just got mine. I love that my anniversary is just a month before Christmas. It will allow me to test a bunch of recipes and have them ready by Christmas.

I already roll chicken pieces in crushed gluten free cereal. But I've been putting it in the oven. Time to try it in the new air fryer.

What's this with the pork? Small pieces? Slices? or what?

I do like 1.5 inch cubes :) I find coating them in the rice flour gets them crispy

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter