Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Back to some AM news...

For those of you redeeming Dream miles on travel, AM has made changes to the car rental redemption options.

They now allow you to redeem with Budget, Avis, Alamo, Enterprise, and National.

Right now, their online system is in a period of transition so not all features are available.

For example, you cannot cancel a reservation online, you have to call.

I needed to cancel one (we booked another cheaper first) which is when I discovered you can't do it online right now even though the FAQ said you could. I spent 3 hours on hold over 2 days before I got to speak with a human, and then another 30 minutes with them doing the canceling (much of that on hold while they did various things behind the scene).

There is also a $25 fee to cancel, but that was waived since they are in transition, but don't assume it will be. Apparently this fee will apply whether you cancel online or by phone. The old fee was $10.

We are happy we can book with National now, but will be even happier once we have used up our AM points.

Back to some AM news...

For those of you redeeming Dream miles on travel, AM has made changes to the car rental redemption options.

They now allow you to redeem with Budget, Avis, Alamo, Enterprise, and National.

Right now, their online system is in a period of transition so not all features are available.

For example, you cannot cancel a reservation online, you have to call.

I needed to cancel one (we booked another cheaper first) which is when I discovered you can't do it online right now even though the FAQ said you could. I spent 3 hours on hold over 2 days before I got to speak with a human, and then another 30 minutes with them doing the canceling (much of that on hold while they did various things behind the scene).

There is also a $25 fee to cancel, but that was waived since they are in transition, but don't assume it will be. Apparently this fee will apply whether you cancel online or by phone. The old fee was $10.

We are happy we can book with National now, but will be even happier once we have used up our AM points.
I find the new travel redemption section a massive PIA! Using the search feature might have led to a bit of language that would get xxxed out here. Good grief, I want to look for car rentals at the CCC now that they've opened up the number of agencies you can rent from but the cities they have preloaded are NOT intuitive. Lake Buena Vista, Bay Lake, Disney Springs NOPE, those used to work but now it's Kissimmee. Ok, I'll work with that but DANG, when did it get so confusing? I'm not using 25,000 miles to rent a car for 8 days if I start pick it up on Feb 27 - especially if I move the date to the 28th when the rate drops to 7,200 miles

Also tried to figure out the hotel section and it's no easier! I have a trip to plan dangit, let me use my miles! Yes, you read that here gang, we're planning our do-over trip and it's looking like a doozy! I'll share details as things start to flesh out a bit

I find the new travel redemption section a massive PIA! Using the search feature might have led to a bit of language that would get xxxed out here. Good grief, I want to look for car rentals at the CCC now that they've opened up the number of agencies you can rent from but the cities they have preloaded are NOT intuitive. Lake Buena Vista, Bay Lake, Disney Springs NOPE, those used to work but now it's Kissimmee. Ok, I'll work with that but DANG, when did it get so confusing? I'm not using 25,000 miles to rent a car for 8 days if I start pick it up on Feb 27 - especially if I move the date to the 28th when the rate drops to 7,200 miles

Also tried to figure out the hotel section and it's no easier! I have a trip to plan dangit, let me use my miles! Yes, you read that here gang, we're planning our do-over trip and it's looking like a doozy! I'll share details as things start to flesh out a bit
Yes!!! For hotels you cannot search by city- it’s by airport???!!! If where you’re going isn’t close enough to a major airport, you cannot search that area. It’s so confusing.

I don't think the DIS will be shut down. They may shut down some of the posters, lol. But it really is to their advantage to have these boards, it's like free advertising. I know it costs a lot to maintain but the beneffit is there for them.
I think we are good.
I'm in agreement, nothing is going to happen here. Worse things have happened to larger companies. Lots of big changes will come and are long over due anyway but that will be it.

BREAKING EXCITING NEWS.....TSWIFT IS COMING TO T.O.
My house is going nuts...
But I am the bad man and said no...oldest is going to Europe for school music trip next year..and youngest(12)..doesnt know yet..but I was able to get F1 tickects for her in Montreal next year.
So no Swift in this house...but good luck to all of you.
H377 to the no! I can not stand the sight of her. My BFF called yesterday to get me on board. I don't know who she's going with but it will not be me. Plus, it's likely you will need a mortgage to buy the tickets. DD saw Beyonce a few weeks ago and said that the starting price for the nosebleeds was over $300. She had 100 level...no idea what she paid and don't want to know.

In general, it's a lot more expensive to rent from the CCC than from the airport. Also, a weekly rental is cheaper. Most of the time a 6 day rental will also come in at the weekly price but once you go outside of that the daily rates kick in and can be very high. Our trip last week was 5 days...car was $366 but my trip in May rental was 6 days for $260. Those are discounted rates too....I always use codes.

In general, it's a lot more expensive to rent from the CCC than from the airport. Also, a weekly rental is cheaper. Most of the time a 6 day rental will also come in at the weekly price but once you go outside of that the daily rates kick in and can be very high. Our trip last week was 5 days...car was $366 but my trip in May rental was 6 days for $260. Those are discounted rates too....I always use codes.
Yup to all your points, I get all of those but what I still don't understand is why moving the 8 day rental from a Tuesday to a Wednesday is 17 THOUSAND more miles? Same number of weekday vs weekend same location, same agency. I know how to play the code game to pay cash but if we don't use miles we won't rent a car. We also refuse to rent at the airport since that level of stress doesn't scream holiday to my hubby.
Main reason we want a car is that we finally found a restaurant that was willing and able to safely cook me multiple different meals but it's in the beach club and getting there from POFQ can take a crazy amount of time if using disney transit

It seems to me that prices are dropping for hotels in Orlando right now. We have had a certain time period in mind, and when I plug them in to look at pricing/miles needed, the pricing seems to have dropped. Which is good! The hotel and timeline of when we wanted to go---the room has dropped by more than 10,000 AM!!!!

It is back to the price when we had originally started thinking we would go again. AT one time - it was 10,000 AM more than it is stating now. To clarify... no it's not a fancy shmancy room - it's the two bedroom suite at Univeral's Endless Summer. I would fit us perfectly...instead of us needing to get 2 separate hotel rooms...we would still have our own little space - and we would be able to have coffee and muffins or bagels in the morning - especially on park days. I need to have a little something before heading onto rides.

Crossing my fingers we will plan that soon!!! As we are cancelling an adult trip that we were supposed to take at the end of Sept/Oct.

Still eyeing up using my miles to pay for part of a cruise to celebrate our 30th anniversary too. So many things I want to do - not enough miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl:

Wow the AM needed for WDW passes have skyrocketed! I have redeemed numerous times for passes over the last 20 years. Just checked now for the first time since 2019 and it's like 8,000 AM for a 5 day pass! Use to be like 4-5,000.
I think that's because airmiles used to buy tickets in batches and they would in turn, "sell" them at the equivalent miles until that stock was depleted, rinse and repeat. That explains why people were able to get the non-expiring tickets long after Disney stopped selling them. Now the transaction is taking place in real time - the price that Redtag (the company that the tickets come from now) charges is taken directly from the disney prices in USD funds which are then converted to CDN funds and that is in turn translated to Airmiles using the equation of 95 miles = 10 CDN dollars.

I think that's because airmiles used to buy tickets in batches and they would in turn, "sell" them at the equivalent miles until that stock was depleted, rinse and repeat. That explains why people were able to get the non-expiring tickets long after Disney stopped selling them. Now the transaction is taking place in real time - the price that Redtag (the company that the tickets come from now) charges is taken directly from the disney prices in USD funds which are then converted to CDN funds and that is in turn translated to Airmiles using the equation of 95 miles = 10 CDN dollars.
That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. Haven't bought tickets since 2019 for our 2020 trip (which ended up happening in 2022).

it seems i will in fact be chasing down the miles this weekend! I need to hit up metro anyway, i always have one or two things i can order online to earn one mile - staples will work in a pinch, hubby always needs more paper and i can pick it up after going to kept metro since they're beside each other. On my way home I'll hit up shell to buy a chocolate bar or sumthin because of this targeted offer!!! What the whaaat? Earn 100 miles for spending 5, I'm down with that!
Screenshot_20230804_180016_Chrome.jpg

That will be the 3 BMO offers for another 150 miles. Metro offer for spend 100 get 100 miles.

I should be able to spend around 130 and snatch up 350 miles easily. Hope everyone enjoys the long weekend (I know this one is weird regional type thing but happy whatever)

it seems i will in fact be chasing down the miles this weekend! I need to hit up metro anyway, i always have one or two things i can order online to earn one mile - staples will work in a pinch, hubby always needs more paper and i can pick it up after going to kept metro since they're beside each other. On my way home I'll hit up shell to buy a chocolate bar or sumthin because of this targeted offer!!! What the whaaat? Earn 100 miles for spending 5, I'm down with that!
View attachment 782945

That will be the 3 BMO offers for another 150 miles. Metro offer for spend 100 get 100 miles.

I should be able to spend around 130 and snatch up 350 miles easily. Hope everyone enjoys the long weekend (I know this one is weird regional type thing but happy whatever)
If you or hubby drinks coke products you can buy 2 for $5 and get 10 bonus miles at Shell.

Took your advice I am now searching Metro ads.🫖 ☕
Thanks Hon

Does anyone think I can combine these two offers

Offer #1​

100 Miles®​

When you buy $100 of groceries or more​

Start date: August 3, 2023 at 12:00 AM
End date: August 9, 2023 at 11:59 PM

Offer valid at any Metro store in Ontario, except Thunder Bay, until the date indicated or until supplies last. Offer is limited to varieties available online or in store. The coupon must be presented in conjunction with the AIR MILES collector card at the time of purchase online or in store. Limit of one use of the coupon for the duration of the promotion. The coupon is not transferable, is not exchangeable and has no cash value. This coupon excludes certain products as stipulated in the terms and conditions. Visit Metro.ca for more information. For complete details, see current Program Terms and Conditions available at airmiles.ca or the AIR MILES Customer Care Centre at 1-888-AIR MILES (in Toronto (416) 226-5171). Trademark of AM Royalties Limited Partnership, used under license by LoyaltyOne and Metro Ontario Inc.

Offer #2
120 Bonus Miles
when you spend $120 at Metro.*
Ends Wed, Aug 9

Terms + Conditions​

* This is an exclusive, non-transferable offer. Only the recipient of the offer invitation qualifies for this offer. Offer valid July 27, 2023 to August 9, 2023. Valid at participating Metro locations in Ontario, excluding Thunder Bay. Opting in to the offer is required before using the AIR MILES card at the time of purchase. Minimum eligible purchase must be spent cumulatively within the offer period and excludes taxes, tobacco, beer, wine, cider, Western Union, lottery, transit tickets, stamps, gift cards, prescription medications, behind the-counter pharmacy items, and purchases from in-store vendors. Limit one offer per collector number during the promotion period.
AIR MILES card must be presented at the time of the purchase. Can be combined with other offers, and AIR MILES offers. Please allow up to 120 days post-transaction for Bonus Miles to be awarded to your AIR MILES collector account. Use the Cash Miles in your AIR MILES Cash account in-store in increments of 95 Cash Miles for every $10 towards your purchases at participating AIR MILES partner locations. ®™ Trademarks of AM Royalties Limited Partnership used under license by AIR MILES Loyalty Inc. Partner, Supplier and Retailer trademarks are owned by the respective Partner, Supplier or Retailer or authorized for their use in Canada.

Thanks Hugs Mel

Although come to think of it I am still waiting on 75 Airmiles from Aug 19th Metro shop...Hmmmm.

Last edited:
Yup to all your points, I get all of those but what I still don't understand is why moving the 8 day rental from a Tuesday to a Wednesday is 17 THOUSAND more miles? Same number of weekday vs weekend same location, same agency. I know how to play the code game to pay cash but if we don't use miles we won't rent a car. We also refuse to rent at the airport since that level of stress doesn't scream holiday to my hubby.
Main reason we want a car is that we finally found a restaurant that was willing and able to safely cook me multiple different meals but it's in the beach club and getting there from POFQ can take a crazy amount of time if using disney transit

It looks like it is only National that is whacky for the 27th... and only the 27th as a start... Enterprise has sane rates ;-)

Also, are you sure it is Kissimmee and not "Orlando - Walt Disney World" as the location ?

It looks like it is only National that is whacky for the 27th... and only the 27th as a start... Enterprise has sane rates ;-)

Also, are you sure it is Kissimmee and not "Orlando - Walt Disney World" as the location ?
Yup, looking at the CCC location and the only way i could find it yesterday was using Kissimmee -but today I can force they system to find it thru the search words you mentioned IF I filter it to look only at National. URGH, truly first world problems but irritating non-the-less. I've got miles to use and a trip to plan dangit :P

It's nice to see your name pop up on the other threads BTW

@bababear_50 and anyone else wondering about the same thing, YES those Metro offers will stack but not all of them appear on your receipt and if your store is as pathetic reporting to head office as mine is it could be weeks until they finally post.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter