Am I the Only One Who Thinks Disney is Failing In Its Progression Vs. Universal

I've also posted frequently about refurbishing what they have. Right now it seems the $$ are going to rooms, rooms, and more rooms. I think it's great that we have all these neat places to stay, but some of the rides are really lacking.
Now, that being said, I haven't been in a few years, and I know work has been done on some of the rides (ie. IASM and SM, to name a couple). But it really bugs me when I'm on a ride and half the effects are broken. I really wish they would just take a couple years and take care of the stuff they have. As an example of doing things right, I like to use PotC. I know many are unhappy with the addition of Jack Sparrow, but look at what else they did to the ride. All of the sudden I could hear the soundtrack again, all the AA seemed to be moving, and everything just seemed to have a "new" scheen to it again. Why can't all the rides be like this?

I have posted several times here and I am wondering how many of us true disney world lovers think instead of building houses for the megarich,disney should focus on refurbs and new attractions.One other thing I think that is overlooked is the fact that while the past ten years have been stagnant for disney attraction wise,prices haven't been,they steadily increase. We are paying alot more for basically the same stuff. I know we too have reduced our trips to the world,which saddens me.I used to be like a little kid and couldn't wait to go back and see what they had done.I hope they improve and kudos to universal for keeping the attractions coming!

This!

You said everything I was just about to post. I love both Disney & Universal for a lot of different reasons but agree that Disney really needs to step up their game.

I rarely compare Universal to Disneyworld. IMO they are two different animals. I will go to HP land and WDW. That being said, I'm a disney loyalist who has seen a slide in the world over the last few years, period. In all areas I'm totally sadden by the restaurants (you all know how I feel about the quality issues there) and what I preceive is just a general lack of imagination.

Even the gift shops show a lack of imagination. every gift shop sells the same exact stuff over and over. (Come on Disney, you have a gazillion villians why is it we only see nightmare at Xmas junk. don't even get me started on Hannah Montana. :scared1:)

Sorry, I agree with alot of other posters DHS could be so much more. Almost every thing there needs an update, from Indiana Jones to star tours to muppets. It's OLD. Don't even get me started on the "Great movie ride". The animatronics technology is ridiculous and for Godsake, Please, please some one get a new Judy Garland. The park is supposed to be a homage to the movie industry. Get with it, the movies industry has had some amazing technological advances.

I love Animal Kingdom but I swear the Yeti has been broken more time than it's been fixed. why?

I agree with everything but the bolded is so true and really frustrating. Disney used to have great themed merchandise for each resort, special places to go in Magic Kingdom to buy different unique items, etc... Now they have the same junk in all the stores. The only good thing about the junk they sell is it cuts back on souvenir spending because none of my family wants any of it. :laughing:

I'll also add to others sentiment about the Disney rides being updated. Not only do they need that but some of them need a good thorough cleaning. The last time we went on soarin' the ceilings where the wings drape down were loaded with dust. It was really gross. That is one of many attractions we noticed that needed cleaning too.

And don't get me started on the decline of the resorts. :rolleyes:

I enjoy both Universal and WDW. I do want to say that I was very disappointed with the refurb of Space Mountain. I wish they had raised it to the level of Space Mountain in Disneyland with music in ride vehicles. And I agree with earlier comments about needing to update older attractions like Muppets, Indiana Jones, the Great Movie Ride. And the painting on the bridge between England and France needs to be redone...the trees have grown a lot since Epcot opened.

Not even that, actually. The restaurant is a refurb, too. So Disney is adding two *new* restaurants to MK, one TS (Be Our Guest) and one CS (Gaston's). And man, am I excited about a new TS in that park; it has needed one for a while!

IMO, HP may have more initial drawing power because of the series' popularity, but the FL expansion is actually including more to see. One ride is getting a simple refurb (Barnstormer), one is being refurbed AND expanded AND having a whole new queue concept introduced (Dumbo), one whole new ride is being built, two whole new restaurants are being built, and a we're getting a bunch of more deeply interactive meet-and-greets with the princesses ala Ollivander's.

And honestly, I'm as excited to see the Beast's library as I am to see Hogwarts...*total book nerd here*...
The restaurant is not a refurb.

It's funny, because Disney specifically put The Sum of All Thrills in because UO was already using those arms for Forbidden Journey, so no, UO was definitely not following in Disney's footsteps on that one. It just so happens that it's much easier and waaaaaay cheaper to set a stationary arm in an existing building than to build a 20-acre all new section of the park.

As always, Disney fans feel more insecure about Universal than Disney does. Universal does what they do very well and they fill a very nice void that Disney leaves. There is no reason not to like them both, and Universal is better than Disney at some things, Disney is better at others.

However, I think the OPs point is well made - Disney is definitely falling behind the curve, and with the same company now owning Seaworld, Bush Gardens, Legoland and 50% of UO, they need to stop letting the bean counters convince them that adding a new restaurant and a few princess meet-n-greets is the way to keep guests interested.

People on these typs of boards tend to get the impression that most people that go to Disney feel the same way they do, but that's not the case. We are a highly self-selected group of people, and while Disney's lack of committment to improving guest experience isn't as likely to convince us to make fewer trips, it certainly does to others. I can't count the number of people I know that have been to Disney in the past few years that won't go back until there is something new. Not because they didn't enjoy themselves - they did. They just would rather spend their vacation money going other places and experiencing new things, and until Disney adds something significant they have the whole "been there, done that" attitude.

Disney's attendance hasn't dropped significantly because of all the specials they have been running, so people are getting more bang for their buck. That's not going to last forever, though, and answering UO's addition of WWoHP with a new "Finding Nemo"-type ride and a couple of more places to buy cheap crap and get a pixie to sign your notebook isn't going to cut it.

They may benefit in the short term from WWoHP because, contrary to what some people believe, UO is bringing in people that otherwise would not be traveling to Orlando and aren't really into theme parks, but since they are already there they will visit Disney for a day or so. Of course, Disney is also losing visitors that are shortening their vacation at Disney to add a day or two at UO.

At any rate, competition is a good thing and we all benefit from it. Disney would not even be considering this Fantasyland expansion if not for reacting to UO.

I'm a longtime Disney fan, but I'm sitting here trying to figure out exactly what Disney is better at? :confused: They certainly used to be better at some things but I'm not so sure anymore.

I haven't been to US/IOA in years so I can't comment too much but what I really wanted to comment on is that as a business owner you have to pick your niche, you can't do everything well or you will fail. For example: Outback Steakhouse succeeds in what they do. Technically they are in the same category as Bobby Flay's restaurants but they aren't trying to do the same thing.

Disney World has chosen to be a service oriented amusement park. Not a thrill ride amusement park. And their recent decisions show they are committed to succeeding in that niche. Just like Cedar Point (I live in Ohio) is a roller coaster amusement park. Period. They don't try to have beautiful grounds or great shows and their kiddie rides are so lame we have been waiting for our kids to be 54" because they were so disappointed by it (next summer we'll take the eldest 2. Yea!) They are not service oriented and mostly hire teens for the summer who are trained to make your ride safe and that's pretty much it. No themes, yucky food, kind of dirty, etc. But I LOVE Cedar Point. Because they are THE BEST at what they do, perhaps in the whole world. One amazing thrill after another. LOVE it.

Universal Studios is right in between Cedar Point and Disney. They do give better service, they have more thrills, and they focus big time on theme. It's just plain ole fun there for tweens & teens, college age and their parents. But, again, my little kids did not have fun. We haven't gone since 2004 as we've been waiting and will go spring/summer of 2011. And my parents just hated it. Pop culture, loud, and not at all relaxing. And if at Disney 80% of the employees are nice and 20% need more training I'd say US is closer to 50/50, at least in my experience.

I love that they both try to up the ante. But I stood in line at the Tinkerbell character meet and greet the year it opened and trust me, there is a HUGE group of people who are there to meet characters. And I think Fantasyland revamp was needed.

For me, there is no place like Disney. I love that in general (despite what you hear on these boards) everyone at Disney is there to have fun. And even teenagers are willing to be goofy. I love that CM's go out of their way to make your stay good. That my friend nearly fainted at AK one day & a CM got a wheelchair, pushed her to a nurse & gave the family FP's for the day. That just doesn't happen anywhere else on a regular basis. And that is what Disney is pursuing currently. They aren't pursuing the latest technology. They aren't pursuing thrill rides. They are pursuing "magical moments."

And in this economy, if you are to succeed, you have to find a niche and do it better than anyone else. For me, I want Disney around when I have grandkids so I'd like them to continue making decisions that make them money. And if that includes lame-ish rides and too much Princess, or too much DVC, fine. Because I trust they are listening to their customer base & cause when I'm 65 I still want them making money and I still want them caring that I'm taken care of.

Other companies I feel the same way about are Coca-Cola and McDonald's. I want my kids to share a cherry Coke with their 10 year old. I just do.

I could've sworn people over on the IOA boards said it used to be someplace called the Enchanted Oak.

No, they completely demolished the Enchanted Oak :(.

They aren't adding an additional restaurant to what they had prior to HP, they just tore one down and replaced it with a new, different one.

It's funny, because Disney specifically put The Sum of All Thrills in because UO was already using those arms for Forbidden Journey, so no, UO was definitely not following in Disney's footsteps on that one. It just so happens that it's much easier and waaaaaay cheaper to set a stationary arm in an existing building than to build a 20-acre all new section of the park.

As always, Disney fans feel more insecure about Universal than Disney does. Universal does what they do very well and they fill a very nice void that Disney leaves. There is no reason not to like them both, and Universal is better than Disney at some things, Disney is better at others.

However, I think the OPs point is well made - Disney is definitely falling behind the curve, and with the same company now owning Seaworld, Bush Gardens, Legoland and 50% of UO, they need to stop letting the bean counters convince them that adding a new restaurant and a few princess meet-n-greets is the way to keep guests interested.

People on these typs of boards tend to get the impression that most people that go to Disney feel the same way they do, but that's not the case. We are a highly self-selected group of people, and while Disney's lack of committment to improving guest experience isn't as likely to convince us to make fewer trips, it certainly does to others. I can't count the number of people I know that have been to Disney in the past few years that won't go back until there is something new. Not because they didn't enjoy themselves - they did. They just would rather spend their vacation money going other places and experiencing new things, and until Disney adds something significant they have the whole "been there, done that" attitude.

Disney's attendance hasn't dropped significantly because of all the specials they have been running, so people are getting more bang for their buck. That's not going to last forever, though, and answering UO's addition of WWoHP with a new "Finding Nemo"-type ride and a couple of more places to buy cheap crap and get a pixie to sign your notebook isn't going to cut it.

They may benefit in the short term from WWoHP because, contrary to what some people believe, UO is bringing in people that otherwise would not be traveling to Orlando and aren't really into theme parks, but since they are already there they will visit Disney for a day or so. Of course, Disney is also losing visitors that are shortening their vacation at Disney to add a day or two at UO.

At any rate, competition is a good thing and we all benefit from it. Disney would not even be considering this Fantasyland expansion if not for reacting to UO.

Well said. I agree with everything.

Case in point, Disney has had preliminary plans to do a Monster's Inc.-themed coaster (think of the doors in the movie and how they ran on the tracks) for years, but it's never been green-lighted due to $$.

There is a Monster's Inc ride at Disney's California Adventure Park in CA. It's a slow moving dark ride that goes through the doors in the movie running on a track, but it is not a roller coaster.

I have posted several times here and I am wondering how many of us true disney world lovers think instead of building houses for the megarich,disney should focus on refurbs and new attractions.One other thing I think that is overlooked is the fact that while the past ten years have been stagnant for disney attraction wise,prices haven't been,they steadily increase. We are paying alot more for basically the same stuff. I know we too have reduced our trips to the world,which saddens me.I used to be like a little kid and couldn't wait to go back and see what they had done.I hope they improve and kudos to universal for keeping the attractions coming!

I completely agree. I was extremely disappointed to hear about the housing Disney is building for the rich using up Disney property nonetheless! The ticket prices rise each year, regardless of the country's financial growth, or decrease for that matter.

I'm a disney fanatic - Have been for well - half my life? I think while each tries to draw from the same customer base, Universal is more "thrills" and Disney is more "can a family enjoy this ride".

I think Disney isn't falling behind - but they aren't as focused as they could be on improvements. TSM - AWESOME!!!! They just need to keep things in the pipeline.

I think there is the need to update attractions. i think everyone before makes good points.

But what I tell everyone when they ask why a 30 something couple with no kids goes - I say I don't go for rides. I go for the experience. And Disney does that better than anyone else.

The thing I would liek to see refurbed the most was Journey Into Your Imagination. I just found it not to be up to Disney quality.

Also - one thing to remember is Disney fans are LOYAL to a fault. I remember working at the Disney Store in PA and there were PICKETERS because they were getting rid of Mr. Toad's Wild ride.

So they can't just up and change an attraction without upsetting people, and I think that's one of the reasons things do stay the way they are.

There is a Monster's Inc ride at Disney's California Adventure Park in CA. It's a slow moving dark ride that goes through the doors in the movie running on a track, but it is not a roller coaster.

I've heard about that one, but I've never been to any of their parks outside of Orlando. That have had preliminary plans for a Monster's-themed coaster as an addition to DHS for a little while, but they haven't given it the go ahead yet.

I've heard about that one, but I've never been to any of their parks outside of Orlando. That have had preliminary plans for a Monster's-themed coaster as an addition to DHS for a little while, but they haven't given it the go ahead yet.

Yes, the Monster's Inc ride at DL is cute. A Monster's themed overhead coaster or dark ride similar to PP flight would be a great addition. With Monster's Inc having so much kid appeal, i think making a thrill ride would be the wrong move. Something that can accomodate the youngsters and adults but provide enough of a thrill.

An attraction at DL that is a struggle for me is Roger Rabbit's Toon Town Spin. Roger Rabbit has a good amount of focus in toon town, which makes perfect sense. Problem i see is RR never really achieved the status of being a classic. however, the theming on that attraction is top notch. That attraction is a good example of the level of theming that Disney needs to maintain.

Yes, the Monster's Inc ride at DL is cute. A Monster's themed overhead coaster or dark ride similar to PP flight would be a great addition. With Monster's Inc having so much kid appeal, i think making a thrill ride would be the wrong move. Something that can accomodate the youngsters and adults but provide enough of a thrill.

An attraction at DL that is a struggle for me is Roger Rabbit's Toon Town Spin. Roger Rabbit has a good amount of focus in toon town, which makes perfect sense. Problem i see is RR never really achieved the status of being a classic. however, the theming on that attraction is top notch. That attraction is a good example of the level of theming that Disney needs to maintain.

Well said. We love Roger Rabbit and would be sad to see it go, but if it was replaced with something up to the quality of TSM, I'd shed a tear and be excited for the ride and probably not give it a second thought.

I hated the whole Night Kingdom idea. It just seemed like they were creating a park that would be too expensive for many of their guests, and that just seemed wrong for a Disney park, which should be for everyone.

On another note, I have been on the Monsters Inc ride at DCA, and it's very cute. They should put up someting similar at WDW, if they're never going to get around the Monsters Inc coaster. They should also bring a Wall*E ride to the parks too.

I hated the whole Night Kingdom idea. It just seemed like they were creating a park that would be too expensive for many of their guests, and that just seemed wrong for a Disney park, which should be for everyone.

On another note, I have been on the Monsters Inc ride at DCA, and it's very cute. They should put up someting similar at WDW, if they're never going to get around the Monsters Inc coaster. They should also bring a Wall*E ride to the parks too.

I liked the idea, I guess I related it to what Sea World has (Dolphin Cove, or something like that). But I do see your point and to the general public it likely would have come off as Disney just being greedy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter