• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

And so it begins - Updated with Photopass Pics Post 189 - 04/01/2010

Loving reading your "real time" trippie!

Glad you're having such a wonderful time, and hope DW is feeling much better soon.

Loving your reporst, especially on a dreary October morning here in the UK! Enjoy your day.x

Tuesday 27th October

Today began with everyone having a lazy morning and playing around the pool. DW had a good lie in - only disturbing her sleep to keep topped up with tablets - and by the time she got up she was ready to tackle the day. She still wasn't 100% but was determined not to let anything ruin tonight as she had been looking forward to it for so long.
We started to get ready for MNSSHP at about 2pm as we were leaving at 3. DD and Jack had reservations at the Pirates League at 4pm and we knew that they wouldn't let us in to the park dressed up until bang on 4 - so it was going to be a dash through the park to get there as near to 'on-time' as we could.
Once we had checked them in they were taken through to the back and the transformation began. The whole atmosphere seems a bit chaotic and loud - but that just adds to the excitement and the pirate feel to the experience. We were very impessed with what was being done and even more so with the end result. So much so that BIL decided he wanted some face paint putting on to compliment his costume.
The whole took about an hour and a half but it was worth it. Jack went for the full package which included a costume - whereas DD already had her costume so just went for having her make up done.

DD looking stunning - OK so I am a little biased
IMG_2772.jpg

Nephew Jack - or should that be Captain Jack
P9260052.jpg

BIL new face
IMG_2764.jpg

As we are on the subject here are some shots of what the rest of us were wearing.

Grandma as Bibbidi Bobbidi
P9270060.jpg

Sis was Cinderella - before her transformation
P9260054.jpg

DS was Undertaker - from the wrestling
IMG_2768.jpg

As 7pm approached the park started to fill up with people dressed up for the occassion. Some went for simple Halloween t-shirts while others went for the full costume.
One thing that did strike us throughout the night was how busy the park was. It was more packed tonight than we had seen it at any other day since we had been here. The queues were bigger for the characters than they had been for rides and getting from one part of the park to another was proving to be a bit of a challenge.
After going around a few of the treat trails and meeting up with a few characters we saw the queue for the Seven Dwarfs. As it had been a goal of mine to get a picture with Grumpy, and we knew that the dwarfs don't come out very often together, we decided to join the queue and get the shot. What dissappointed me most about the whole thing here was that they only stayed for 30 minutes then went for 30 minutes. The queue here was bigger than any I had seen at any parks all holiday - yet they never did anything to make it easier for any of us - such as bringing them out more regularly to keep the line moving. We were about 5 from the front of the queue when they went again - and were'nt due back until 9.30 which was when Hallowishes started, so we had to make a choice. We chose to wait in the queue then go around to watch Wishes after the photo. This was easier said than done due to the volume of people in the park and although we saw some of the fireworks it wasn't what we had hoped.
After this we headed round to Haunted Mansion to get our pictures near to the carriage, by which time it was time for Boo to You. We got a really good spot for this and thought it was a brilliant parade with the characters interacting lots with the spectators and giving out treats as they went by.
For the rest of the evening we went around and had soem more pics taken - mostly on the Photopass - and just generally taking in the atmosphere. DS went off with Grandma while me, DW and DD went in search of Tigger.
Here are a couple more pics from the night

IMG_2785.jpg

IMG_2793.jpg

IMG_2794.jpg

IMG_2795.jpg

IMG_2796.jpg

IMG_2803.jpg

IMG_2804.jpg

IMG_2806.jpg

IMG_2808.jpg

WOW!!!!! all your costumes are absolutely fantastic! did you get them in the uk or usa??
Glad you enjoyed mnsshp- we have done it 4 times now, we love it although fewer sweets are handed out each year we noticed...

Wow amazing pictures my dd is very impressed with the photo of snow white and the dwarves !!! Her fav is grumpy too im sure its *** it reminds her of her dad but she is too nice to admit that !!
Hows elaine doing now????
Cant wait for the next installment . . .

i love your costumes, you and your wife look amazing! did you have them made especially?
i am jealous of your photo with grumpy, my dh is known as grumpy and i hope to get his photo taken next year!
tc
tracy

I actually thought you and Elaine were cast members - your costumes are so brilliant! You all look great.:goodvibes

WOW WOW WOW ! Brilliant costumes ... cannot make up my mind which I like the best :goodvibes What a brilliant photo with all the dwarfs, I would love that - you looked like you had a great time even though your wife was still not 100%.

Thanks for all the compliments about our costumes :thumbsup2

Me and Elaine were amazed at how many people stopped us as we were walking by and asked for photos with us, or just of us. We knew we weren't supposed to but it felt so good being asked we couldn't refuse ;)

The costumes were a mix of shop bought and home made.

Mine, Elaines, Daz's and Taylors were off the internet.

Brads Undertaker coat was made by Grandma (and his hat was from the House of Blues at DTD :cool1:) - who also made both her own and Sis' outfits.

Jacks came as part of his package at the Pirates League.

Me, Elaine, Daz and Sis are now just getting ready to go out on a totally different kind of Halloween night - HHN at Universal - while Grandma looks after the kids at the villa.

Hopefully I will get some pics and will post them tomorrow

Absolutely fantastic costumes!!! You all look as if you should be cast members. As usual, photos are brilliant. Enjoy Universal.

Fantastic costumes Kenny / Elaine, I thought it was part of the disney package and professionally done. We have really enjoyed reading your live updates and following you holiday over there. :goodvibes

I was thinking of doing something like the myself when we go in a fortnight, if I get the time and am not asleep every evening the second we get back to the villa!:)

Give our best to everyone and will see you soon

Shaun n Michelle

Kenny did you meet up with Nat and Joh at mnsshp? I'm sure i read somewhere about Dizzy going to them during your holiday?? or maybe i got it wrong!! :rotfl:

Wednesday 28th October

Thankfully today DW had got up feeling a lot better - although still not 100% - and was determined to make the most of the last few days. First thing on her list was to go back to Seaworld so she could ride Manta again. She has said that this is by far the best ride she has done while here and today was the last day we could use our return tickets.
So me, Elaine and DD headed off while DS stayed at the villa with Grandma.
Seaworld was dead. We went straight for Manta and it was a walk on. First time we rode front row - and there was only 3 other people on the ride with us. We went round and did it again - this time on the back row, then Elaine and Taylor rode a 3rd time while I videoed them from underneath.
After this we went to Prime Outlet so Elaine could have a look in the Fossil shop. We also grabbed some lunch from the food outlet.
The plan for tonight was Universal HHN so we headed back for the villa so we could get Sis and BIL.
We left at just before 5 so we could use valet parking before it got full. Unfortunately they weren't letting people in the park until 6.30pm so we went and grabbed a drink and watched the world go by on the patio of NASCAR, chatting about our favourite bits of the holiday so far. It was also one of the most humid nights we had seen so far so drinks we definately needed throughout.
As 6.30 approached we made our way over and the night started in earnest.
Basically the park was split into different zones, with CMs dressed to suit the particular area wandering around and trying to scare you - quite successfully in most cases.
There were also different 'houses' based on individual characters to walk around such as Chucky, Wolfman and Dracula.
The queues for these were sometimes an hour long, but we had invested in the Fast Pass so all were 'walk ins' and we got everything done that the park had to offer - which we really didnt expect to do.
They say a picture paints a thousand words so rather than try to explain it all in too much detail I will just post a few pictures that we took. If anyone has any specific questions please feel free to ask

At the front of the park before going in
IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2817.jpg

IMG_2820.jpg

The view looking from Men in Black towards Mels Diner
IMG_2830.jpg

And some of the new friends me met that night
IMG_2841.jpg

IMG_2846.jpg

IMG_2849.jpg

IMG_2848.jpg

IMG_2850.jpg

IMG_2862.jpg

Leave me alone, leave me alone, leave me alone
IMG_2863.jpg

IMG_2865.jpg

Just hurry up and take the damn picture
IMG_2872.jpg

IMG_2877.jpg

IMG_2878.jpg

IMG_2879.jpg

We were also amazed by how many people took small children - many of them still in pushchairs. Especially with things like this wandering around
IMG_2860.jpg

Cont.............................

Wednesday 28th October cont............

These guys did a great job - chasing people up and down the street with chainsaws - and even though you knew they were there and what they were going to do it still made you jump, and it a lot of cases run

IMG_2821.jpg

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2823.jpg

IMG_2824.jpg

IMG_2826.jpg

IMG_2851.jpg

IMG_2856.jpg

As most of you will know it is an unwritten rule that all rides and attractions must exit through a gift shop - apart from tonight it would seem. Instead as you left you walk straight past refreshment carts selling beer and shots - and they were doing a roaring trade as people tried to calm the nerves.
To end on a nice note we did stop half way through and have some dinner. We ate at Finnegans opposite the Mummy ride - which we had never done before - purely because it was closest to us when we decided to eat, and we were so impressed we will definately eat there again.
Here's some pics of what we had

Potato and onion web starter
IMG_2831.jpg

I had the mixed grill
IMG_2834.jpg

DW had the chicken pot pie
IMG_2835.jpg

Sis had shepherds pie
IMG_2836.jpg

and BIL had beef stew
IMG_2837.jpg

We also managed to fit in a ride on the Mummy and did Jaws at night for the first time ever - which was nice.

I think it's fair to say that we all had a great night. If I am being totally honest I would choose this night over MNSSHP, especially if we didn't have any kids with us. The atmosphere, sound effects and suspense can't be translated through this post and must be seen to be believed.
I have tried to use the pics that would do the night justice but even now I am not sure I have succeeded.

Fantastic evening :thumbsup2

Kenny did you meet up with Nat and Joh at mnsshp? I'm sure i read somewhere about Dizzy going to them during your holiday?? or maybe i got it wrong!! :rotfl:

Unfortunately we didn't see any Dis's. I had my LGMH on my bag all night and kept an eye out for any others but it wasn't to be.
I also kept meaning to message Nat but forgot that she was leaving so soon after us, so Dizzy wont be getting his cruise this time I'm afraid. There's always next time though.

Universal looks brilliant. My teenagers would love it but unfortunately A levels and GCSE's got in the way this year !!

Love the photos of your sister. She looks terrified :laughing:

Enjoy the rest of your holiday. I'm off this week and loving the trip reports.....and today Bournemouth is so hot (that's because I put my Summer clothes in the loft yesterday) :headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter