Art the Greeter at the Beach Club

For those who would like to meet him, let me add something that Art told me a couple years ago. This isn't an exact quote, but it's not too far off:

"If you come by and I'm not in the lobby, check with the bell staff and have them page me. Whatever I'm doing, it's not as important as visiting with our guests."

This is such a Disney attitude - and there's no doubt he means it!

We met Art on our March trip as we were waiting to get seated for the Cape May Cafe breakfast. He was the most interesting person that I talked to all week. It was so funny, when we walked into the Beach Club, I immediately saw Art and got so star struck....my DH had no idea who I was talking about because I kept saying is..."there's Art!, there's Art!". My DH pushed me over to go talk to him and I am so glad that he did, I even got a pic with him :goodvibes. My girls thought I was so funny because they said that I acted like I just saw Mickey Mouse for the first time. Another funny thing is, while talking to Art, I had mentioned that he was like an icon in my book and you could tell that I kind of embarrassed him when I said that, but then he said that he absolutely loves his job at Disney and loves talking to each guest as they pass by. FYI--next time anyone talks to Art, ask him what he did before he worked at Disney....it is truly amazing what his life was like :)

Any news on Art - back to his regular schedule? Doing well?

We arrive in nine days!

Any news on Art - back to his regular schedule? Doing well?

We arrive in nine days!

Hi Nicholas -

Tues - Saturday 7:30am-4pm lunch from 2:30-3:30pm unless something changes by business need.

Have a great trip!!!

Brenda

Hello Everyone-

I saw Art over the weekend and we spoke - he has decided it's time for him to retire and enjoy the holiday seasons with his family. :santa:

I just wanted to let everyone know that his last day with Walt Disney World at the Beach Club will be Saturday, October 17th, 2009. :sad1:

He has greatly appreciated all the friendships he has made over his 17 years with Walt Disney World. He has appreciated everyone being genuine, caring compassionate and concerned when he wasn't at the front door also during his medical issues. He says he has lots of wonderful memories to reflect back on.

If you have the chance to wish him well before Oct. 17th I know he would greatly appreciate it. :wizard:

I told him he would be greatly missed by many WDW visitors.

Brenda

Brenda, I am so glad now that I was able to visit with him last Tuesday. We had a great chat, but he didn't mention any retirement plans.

Over the years, I have joked with him about how I hoped to have his job one day - now, someone is going to have some VERY big shoes to fill.

Any word on whether or not there will be any public event on his final day to say thanks for so many years? That's a weekend that I couldn't make it, but it would be nice for those who can. (A couple years ago I made a one-day visit to WDW from California to be part of the farewell for Ryan Rhodes on his last day with the Voices of Liberty. It was worth every penny.)

The Beach Club with no Art. That just seems so strange.

So Brenda, what will you and I have to talk about now?

I had a chance to speak with Art when we were there in March. We were waiting to be seated for our Cape May Cafe ADR and was so excited to actually see him standing there greeting people. All I kept saying was "There's Art, there's Art", it was like I just saw Mickey Mouse (my kids kept looking at me like I was weird or something :rotfl:). My DH told me to go over and say hi, which I did, and we had a really great conversation. We talked about his job and what he used to do before Disney (which was very interesting) and he also said that this was the best job he has ever had. Art is going to be missed dearly and I wish I could wish him well in person when we are there in December.

What's up with all of these retirements.....first Ranger Stan at WL, now Art????? I didn't think anyone retired from Disney :goodvibes

Oh sad. We're going to be there in January, but not before. I'm SO glad we got a chance to meet him and get a photo last year. What a great loss to the Beach Club. I'm sad.

We are going to be at the BC Oct 10-15 so we will get to say Goodbye to Art. I jsut told DS who is 16 and he was so sad. He loves Art and says things will not be the same.

I am so glad we will get to go see him one more time.

I have a pic of DS#2 and Art as my desktop

CMs are having a retirement party for Art and are gathering photos and memories of Art from Cast Members and Guests/DVC Members. This will be compiled into a memory book for Art. If anyone would like to contribute, they should post their information in a new thread I will start, and CMs will access your info from that thread. Thank you.

Have I overlooked the new thread?

I have some digital but my older pics of DS#1 are prints. Wonder if I could take the pics with me Sat?

Just a reminder it is Art's last day of work at the Beach Club - he is officially retired as of Sunday.

Brenda

Hello Everyone

Art has asked me to express his sincere gratitude for the outpouring of notes, gifts, phone calls, photos, cards, and personal visits to say "Goodbye" to him and wish him well.

Words cannot truly express how he was overwhelmed by all the kindess he received. He wishes everyone the best and can't thank you enough for the years of friendships he has made.

He will miss seeing everyone during their vacations, but it was truly his time to move on.

I will continue to keep everyone updated on him from time to time.

Thank you for showing him how much he did make a difference being in the lobby of the Beach Club.

Brenda

So, any news on what's up in the Beach Club lobby? Has someone taken over as the new full-time greeter, or are the Yacht Club guys filling in for now?

I had written somewhere earlier that I thought the wisest thing Disney could do would be to find someone who is great with the public, but totally different from Art. Someone like a young woman of Japanese heritage with a bubbly personality. Someone who could do a great job as greeter, but who wouldn't be compared to Art.

The comparisons will be inevitable, but that's not fair to anyone who takes over the position. They can be totally different from Art's style, and still be great at the job. (But whoever it is, they're still getting a salute from me when I walk into the BC lobby next January to check in!)

I'd like to update a couple things, having just returned from a few nights at the BC Villas.

No one has taken on the "official" position of Beach Club Lobby Greeter at this point, although the one who spends the most time there is a fellow named Woody who would be familiar to most of the BC/YC regulars. I also saw and visited with Teena, and saw one other man whose name escapes me manning the post as well.

I also learned that Art comes in every week or two to visit Epcot. Unlike the rest of us, he has permanent permission to park at the BC and visit the park. Apparently Epcot is his favorite, and that's generally where he goes. (He was actually there last Friday, the same day I was in the park!)

One thing Teena mentioned is that most of us would probably not recognize him if we just ran across him - we're so used to seeing him in uniform, and apparently he really does look pretty different in street clothes. On the other hand, once he smiles, there's no doubt who he is.

Word is that he's doing just fine, and really enjoying being retired. It would be great fun to discover myself sitting next to him on a bench in World Showcase some time.

Just saw this thread---we enjoyed Art everytime we visited WDW, dating back to around 15 or so years ago. My son Robert, now 20, met Art when he was 5 or so. Robert will be doing his college Internship at Disney this fall, and still speaks of Art!

Does anyone know if Art has e-mail? We enjoyed Art everytime we visited WDW, dating back to around 15 or so years ago. My son Robert, now 20, met Art when he was 5 or so. Robert will be doing his college Internship at Disney this fall, and still speaks of Art!

Does anyone know if Art has e-mail? We enjoyed Art everytime we visited WDW, dating back to around 15 or so years ago. My son Robert, now 20, met Art when he was 5 or so. Robert will be doing his college Internship at Disney this fall, and still speaks of Art!

Look him up on Facebook - he has email but isnt good about checking it or even checking his facebook much. Since retirement he has had quite a busy calendar!! He is constantly on the go! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter