Christmas 2017

Yay! Glad to see this thread up and running. Was just thinking we needed to get one up soon!

My list is a little long since I have a big family, but we've cut down a good bit so I've been shopping since the day after Christmas last year. Budget is very tight since I'm currently 7 months pregnant and we also have many December and January birthdays! So far I have:

Purchased:

DS: (Will only be one month old)- Not much since he will have no clue what's going on, but I did want to put a few things under the tree for him. Some used Disney books and movies I found, some bath toys, a puppet and rattle for his stocking. I still want to get him a Disney bank (family tradition) and an Elf on the Shelf for future Christmases (figured it would be cute for the Elf to come on his first Christmas). I also got him a Christmas PJ set for Christmas Eve and I'll probably try to grab him a movie like Frosty or Rudolph if I see it on sale for us to watch in the years to come. I'll probably only spend about $75 on him total.

DH: So far I've gotten him the Jurassic Park original trilogy and Terminator 2. Will probably spend about $40 more on him.

Goddaughter (5): Finding Dory playset, Powerpuff Girl playset. Still want to get her some "junk jewelry" because that's what she's into right now. She also has a Christmastime birthday so I got her a Betty Spaghetti Doll and Need to get one more thing, I'm thinking maybe a dress since she's in to dress up right now.

Cousin: (female, 8): Decorative tape and craft kit, decorate your own sunglasses set

Cousin (female, 3): Disney Princess baking set, PJs, Betty Spaghetti Doll

Cousin (female, 1): Daisy Duck stuffed animal, finding Dory board book, Little Einsteins toy guitar

Cousin (female, 6 mos): Outfit, alphabet blocks, Fisher Price phone toy

Cousin and her girlfriend: Matching Harry Potter Magnets, want to spend about $20 more. Cousin also has a January birthday so I think I'll get her a bath bomb set because I know she loves bath bombs.

2 Kitties: Got them each 2 cans of wet food for their stockings when I had a coupon so I paid 20 cents for four cans! I'll probably run by the dollar store to get them each a new toy and maybe get them each a bag of treats at Target as well.

Still Need:

Mom: Some sort of edible treat since she loves sweets, maybe have brownies or cookies delivered to her. She also has a December birthday so I think I'll make her a Shutterfly book with a coupon I have of all of our Disney memories from my childhood, since she's about to be a grandma and be making a bunch of new ones with her grandson!

Grandma: Probably also a sweet treat of some sort

Godson (7): Ugh I'm so lost for him this year. I usually just ask his parents for a few ideas from his list for Santa. He has a January birthday too so I usually roll that into the Christmas budget as well.

DH: $40 more in gifts for him. Probably this board game thing he's been wanting off Amazon, plus some stocking stuffers like hot cocoa mix and mints. He's not huge into candy so I'll try to avoid too much of that.

DH and I's best friend: Need to spend about $20. We typically gift thrift store/ gag gifts to each other so shouldn't be too hard! If I can't find anything I might get him something from his college since he starts his Master's next year.

I also have about 15 cousins both male and female ranging in age from 28 to 6 who we exchange with. Usually my mom and I go in together and just get each one a $10 gift card to dairy queen or subway depending on their age. So I need $5 each for them to give to my mom for gift cards, but she told me this year to wait and pay her in February or March once we're on our feet after baby, so I might do that if it comes down to it.

Last spring I found some winter accessories at a college bookstore on clearance. It's the college where my step daughter and her husband went. I got her whole family hats, etc. I usually make up a gift basket and put in a gift card for the family to go somewhere fun. I also give each kid an individual gift.

My son is getting a small tv for his dorm room. I also plan to get him tickets to a musical that his senior class did. It happens to be playing locally in the spring.

Still have plenty more to think about but it's a good start.

I will add that my husband and I are getting new windows so I am buying all new window treatments. Also plan to get a new tv for our house. I'm going to try to convince him it's enough. May pick up a couple shirts or something for him. He usually gets me slippers and a years supply of body lotion.

Last edited:

Yay! Glad to see this thread up and running. Was just thinking we needed to get one up soon!

My list is a little long since I have a big family, but we've cut down a good bit so I've been shopping since the day after Christmas last year. Budget is very tight since I'm currently 7 months pregnant and we also have many December and January birthdays! So far I have:

Purchased:

DS: (Will only be one month old)- Not much since he will have no clue what's going on, but I did want to put a few things under the tree for him. Some used Disney books and movies I found, some bath toys, a puppet and rattle for his stocking. I still want to get him a Disney bank (family tradition) and an Elf on the Shelf for future Christmases (figured it would be cute for the Elf to come on his first Christmas). I also got him a Christmas PJ set for Christmas Eve and I'll probably try to grab him a movie like Frosty or Rudolph if I see it on sale for us to watch in the years to come. I'll probably only spend about $75 on him total.

DH: So far I've gotten him the Jurassic Park original trilogy and Terminator 2. Will probably spend about $40 more on him.

Goddaughter (5): Finding Dory playset, Powerpuff Girl playset. Still want to get her some "junk jewelry" because that's what she's into right now. She also has a Christmastime birthday so I got her a Betty Spaghetti Doll and Need to get one more thing, I'm thinking maybe a dress since she's in to dress up right now.

Cousin: (female, 8): Decorative tape and craft kit, decorate your own sunglasses set

Cousin (female, 1): Daisy Duck stuffed animal, finding Dory board book, Little Einsteins toy guitar

Cousin and her girlfriend: Matching Harry Potter Magnets, want to spend about $20 more. Cousin also has a January birthday so I think I'll get her a bath bomb set because I know she loves bath bombs.

2 Kitties: Got them each 2 cans of wet food for their stockings when I had a coupon so I paid 20 cents for four cans! I'll probably run by the dollar store to get them each a new toy and maybe get them each a bag of treats at Target as well.

Still Need:

Mom: Some sort of edible treat since she loves sweets, maybe have brownies or cookies delivered to her. She also has a December birthday so I think I'll make her a Shutterfly book with a coupon I have of all of our Disney memories from my childhood, since she's about to be a grandma and be making a bunch of new ones with her grandson!

Godson (7): Ugh I'm so lost for him this year. I usually just ask his parents for a few ideas from his list for Santa. He has a January birthday too so I usually roll that into the Christmas budget as well.

DH: $40 more in gifts for him. Probably this board game thing he's been wanting off Amazon, plus some stocking stuffers like hot cocoa mix and mints. He's not huge into candy so I'll try to avoid too much of that.

DH and I's best friend: Need to spend about $20. We typically gift thrift store/ gag gifts to each other so shouldn't be too hard! If I can't find anything I might get him something from his college since he starts his Master's next year.

I also have about 15 cousins both male and female ranging in age from 28 to 6 who we exchange with. Usually my mom and I go in together and just get each one a $10 gift card to dairy queen or subway depending on their age. So I need $5 each for them to give to my mom for gift cards, but she told me this year to wait and pay her in February or March once we're on our feet after baby, so I might do that if it comes down to it.

For the cousins, you can often get $20 Starbucks and dunkin e-gift cards for $10. You can purchase physical cards in the store if that is the sort of thing they'd like. Might save you some cash :)

Purchased:

Still Need:

Wow, I assume you are okay with this, but it would make my head spin. I do not want to be snarky, but has anyone ever said, let's cut back? Your first 4 cousins are getting 12 gifts and then do you buy one gift for the exchange with your 15 cousins, or do you still buy each cousin a gift.

Following, was wondering when this would be up :-) I have a few stocking stuffers but have not started with the bigger presents yet, my DD8 all she wants is everything Puppy Dog Pals so looking out for those, but I do have a list of things I am getting after my kids begin school.

I do not want to be snarky, but has anyone ever said, let's cut back?

Ugh I hear you! I'd LOVE it if we could back. I think my mom suggested it a couple of years ago and no one seemed on board, but I'm not sure. I think she was talking about bringing it up again this year, not sure if she ever did. I'd love to see us put an age limit on it at least. And no, I think everyone just gives the gift cards and that's all they get, at least from my group (Mom, husband, Grandma, and I)

Ugh I hear you! I'd LOVE it if we could back. I think my mom suggested it a couple of years ago and no one seemed on board, but I'm not sure. I think she was talking about bringing it up again this year, not sure if she ever did. I'd love to see us put an age limit on it at least. And no, I think everyone just gives the gift cards and that's all they get, at least from my group (Mom, husband, Grandma, and I)

We decided years ago to pick names for the cousins, after years of doing that we decided to stop giving gifts all together. It got to be way too much and it seemed like everyone was just exchanging a gift card valued at the gift $ limit. We all agreed that we'd rather just spend some time together during the holidays and have been doing that for the last few years. Its been great.

We decided years ago to pick names for the cousins, after years of doing that we decided to stop giving gifts all together. It got to be way too much and it seemed like everyone was just exchanging a gift card valued at the gift $ limit. We all agreed that we'd rather just spend some time together during the holidays and have been doing that for the last few years. Its been great.

One of my aunts mentioned something about next year us all going to Disney together instead of giving gifts. I'd love something like that

We don't have that big of a family and we cut back even farther last year. It was very freeing! The focus was on watching the kids open their presents. The adults really don't need anything so we stopped exchanging gifts with my in laws. We struggled every year to come up with ideas.

I haven't really started shopping yet this year. My family usually gets together and exchanges Hanukkah/Christmas gifts over Thanksgiving but DH and I won't be attending this year. That is because our baby is due next month and DH will be using all his current vacation time when she arrives.

I usually get gifts for my brother and sister in-law, my sister, my parents and my grandparents. DH's family is Hindu and there isn't really a gift giving holiday around the same time, but we like to find something practical and useful to give them around Canadian Thanksgiving.

I will probably start looking for gifts soon. This year I might favor gift cards since we will have to mail gifts to everyone.

The new aspect is what to do for DD's first Hanukkah. Though I know she won't know any different, I want to embed some nice family traditions from the start. We will have some Hanukkah stockings (though not a Jewish thing, this is crossover tradition from my Christian grandparents) for on the mantle and I plan to put little toys like teethers and rattles plus some cute onesies in hers. For DH I will probably do some Star Wars themed items that I know he will enjoy.

As for DD's gifts, I haven't really decided yet. I want to follow a gift giving guide that I saw online and really liked (but I personalized a little). Basically, I want to give one gift each that follows this guideline: something to wear, something to play, something to read, something to watch, and something to do. These categories can be interrupted in many ways, which I like. For example, there is a cute activity bouncer that converts into a toddler table with matching chairs that I was leaning towards getting which would be perfect for the "something to play." Anyone else have good ideas for infant gifts for each category?

I haven't started shopping yet, but I love to get ideas. One big sticking point for us right now is, we may (or may not) be going to Europe next summer. And if the trip is on, I'm not sure who, exactly, is going--there are 6 of us, two of our children are adults and may have school/work conflicts. Hopefully, that will work itself out, I'd love for us all to go (cost be damned, ha ha!)--then, Christmas gifts could be travel-themed. But, until I know, I'm keeping my $$ in my pocket.

Beyond that, DD22 will likely get a lot of giftcards--she's moved out, has her first job, and money is a little tight. Plus, we'll either be mailing to her, or she'll be flying down--either way, space and weight will be at a premium. Since she lives in a city with no car, I think I might get her one of those rolling carts for groceries.

DS20 will likely get computer games or Game Stop giftcards. He never wants much.

DD14 will get girly type stuff, maybe things for her room, probably a giftcard to the coffee shop across from her dance studio.

DS11 inherited his sister's old room, so he'll be looking for decorating accessories.

Done Xmas shopping here.

We have an odd way of doing things. Three packages each and then a package from Santa. (Notice I said packages and not gifts? Thats because those boxes are generally rather packed. It was a solid idea to start but shifted)

For DS 10-

S Gift: Stuff for Disney- Sully Plush, Mouse Ears, Two Shirts, Disney Family Feud Game (He is obsessed with Family Feud)
Package #1: Nintendo Switch, 3,2,1 Switch Game
Package #2: Mario Switch Case, Mario Kart Switch Game
Package #3: Hank Zipzer Books (4 Books), Clothes, Die Cast Corvette Cars (He is in love with Corvettes)
Stocking Stuffers: Lanyard & Pins, Mini Plush Mickey, Small Tsum Tsum Monster (Muppets), Mario Rubik's Cube, Nintendo Gift Card $10, and Candy

I also help my mom with her shopping for the kids. She got him a Minecraft TNT Pillow, Minecraft Ocelot Plush, and Clothes.

My dad is also amazing at getting exactly whatever I suggest for the kids but so far I have ran out of things DS would like.

For DD 15-

S Gift: Stuff for Disney- GIANT Stitch Plush (Seriously huge), Up Disney PJs, and Disney Picture It Game
Package #1: Victoria Secret Stuff- Bras, Panties, Lotions, Body Spray, Tote (She is in love with VS)
Package #2: Converse Metallic, North Face Vest, Two Shirts, VS Leggings, Disney Socks
Package #3: VS PJs (Two Sets), Fiction Book Series (3 Books), Two Psychology Textbooks (She's a strange kid and this was her only request)
Stocking Stuffers: Small Dumbo Tsum Tsum, Beauty Blender, Earrings, Makeup

From my mom (her grandma): Urban Decay Shapeshifter and Heat Palettes, Two Retro 50's Style Dresses.

My dad will probably pick her up some expensive teas (her one true love) and anything else we can think of.

I have bought for my dad, my mom, my ex-in laws, and my ex because the gifts are technically from the kids.

I get started on Christmas early every year...but clearly not as early as some of you! :)

I also use Santa's Bag and have set a budget of $1,000. A good chunk of that will be for the BF...I don't have a lot of folks to buy for.

What I have so far:
Spireside Candle for my sister
Handmade Blanket for my sister
Handmade Blanket for a friend

In Progress or To Get:
3 or so more blankets
1 rug
Headphones
2 Collages
Lots of cards

I'm not counting the yarn for the blankets or rug in my dollar amount. Those items were purchased in 2016.

joining in

we have a trip this year and this means my Christmas shopping will be much less.

I have my son's Bday before we leave and Christmas when we get back lol

I've bought a DVD for my mom in law
a book for my son (2) if I don't give him the first one for his bday.
We hope to get the switch for him.
I saw a ton of Game of Thrones things id like to get one or two for my hubs.
My mom is getting an, I love Lucy special I found for 10 bucks.
haven't a clue about the dad's of the family yet.

I haven't even thought about Christmas. This will be the first year that I will have to look for awesome deals. DD started College in August so with me offering to pay for her meal plan and housing money will be tight. Only things she has asked for were apple pro laptop and beats which we bought her this summer for college. There was a deal for free beats :) Only thing she has mentioned was a camera but we'll see if she still wants one. I'll get her some cash and gift cards. This year I'm at a loss-lol! oh and she's also

I haven't much started yet this year. I do quite a bit of shopping because I have a decent sized family that we exchange gifts with.

All I've bought so far is

* Lularoe Joy vest for my mom
* Sheriff Woody tsum tsum for DH (he is a Sheriff Deputy and collects Woody stuff)
*A Christmas ornament for my sister

I've already started shopping, although I am not as far along as I'd like to be! lol

For my mom, I'll get her a little ornament and gift cards for restaurants (she loves eating out!!) On my side of the family, my 2 brothers, sister, and I don't buy for each other, we just buy for the kids (and now the kids' kids!) My nieces and nephew that are married will be getting tshirts from Old Navy and a gift card to Lil Ceasar's pizza. I have 2 nieces that are engaged and they will be getting gift cards to their favorite restaurant! One teen niece will be getting a Barnes & Noble gift card and her pre-teen sister will be getting a gift card to her favorite clothing store! I need to find a little something to put with the gift card (I don't like giving just a giftcard - I like to put a little something with it!) For my great nieces and nephews (7 & under), they'll get a shirt and a little toy. I've already bought a few of the shirts for them! (Using a $10 off purchase from JCP)

Mother in Law - slippers and a few gift cards for restaurants I know she likes near her house. Sister in law will get some slipper socks and a gift card for a restaurant near her work. Brother in law will get a gift card (he's hard to buy for!) For Nephew #1, he just started college, so I'll probably get him something from ULL, and a gift card he can use on campus. Nephew #2 - I bought him a polo shirt (using another $10 off a $10 purchase JCP) and I'll get him a gift card to Game Stop.

Daughter #1 - 35 yrs old - I've already bought the NorthFace duffle bag she requested (she travels a lot!). I also bought her some Harry Potter socks. Starbucks gift card

Daughter #2 - 31 yrs old - She wants some Rugrat socks she saw at Target. She'll be moving into their new house next month, so I'll definitely get her some gift cards she can buy things for the house. Starbucks gift card.
Son-In-Law - Golf things!!

Daughter #3 - 22 yrs old - She's a tough one to buy for - very picky on her clothes and stuff. Still thinking and looking for ideas.....

Granddaughter #1 - 6 yrs old - Clothes, toys, and her ticket to Disney!! She and I will be going to Disney in June!

Granddaughter #2 (due in January) - Diapers and some things for her room. Disney stuffed bear.

DH & I just buy a couple of little things for each other to put under the tree. We'll be traveling next year, so that will be our present!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter