Christmas 2017

I am following you all. I have no clue what to get my ten year old. She doesn't ask for much. Her list right now is a pack of paper and a lollipop eraser.
My daughter's favorite gift three years running is a ream of white copy paper! If I could get my husband to agree, I'd buy her a case of paper and be done, and she'd probably say it was the best Christmas ever!

i have a new grandson that will be 5 months old and im sure ill buy him a ton at Disney World. I have not bought anyone anything yet, as we are going to Disney World for 16 days in Dec. We gave them the trip last year for christmas for thier presants last year and this year. Then my son told me we were going to be grandparents. so Ill buy then each an ornament and im sure other stuff down there.

We live 20 minutes outside of L.A, I really do like the zoo ideas and books! He can never have to many books thank you.

This thread had me looking at what my oldest has requested. He wants wireless headphones. His brother keeps pulling on the wire on the ones he currently has. He isn't really knowledgeable on brands yet, but I was looking at some beats solo3 Best Buy has them for 299$ regular and on sale for 179$ now..would this be a good deal? I'm a 10$ headphone type of gal, so I'm clueless too or should I just wait for online sales on Black Friday. I'm not big on shopping on Thanksgiving days...especially now that doors open when my family are barely sitting for dinner.

I used to buy my kids new headphones all the time. like 5 or so a year then when they were like 11 I spent the money and bought them the beats solos they wanted as there big gift. they were corded but you could replace the cord if you had to. 8 years later ive still not bought them new ones. it was way worth the money. I have bought wireless ones for my iphone and would use them more if i find them. lol they were worth the money and i did buy them on black friday. and would not regreat spending the money one bit.

I used to buy my kids new headphones all the time. like 5 or so a year then when they were like 11 I spent the money and bought them the beats solos they wanted as there big gift. they were corded but you could replace the cord if you had to. 8 years later ive still not bought them new ones. it was way worth the money. I have bought wireless ones for my iphone and would use them more if i find them. lol they were worth the money and i did buy them on black friday. and would not regreat spending the money one bit.
Ooh, thanks! My oldest will be 11 so it's nice to hear that they are a good investment.

Build a bear sale today/tomorrow on the basic one is 5.50! The poster says limit 5, but our store had stickers over that and posted at register "due to reduced inventory, we must limit each customer to 2." Guess I just have to make multiple trips and hope they don't sell out.

So far I have a fingerling for DD1 and 2, new lunchboxes for DD1 and 2, a Barbie cash register for DD3, hammock swings for DD1 and 2, some Candylicious bubbles for one of the DDs, and I have ordered Sonicare toothbrushes for DD 1 and 2. DD1 is getting a sewing class, DD2 is getting a bike and DD3 is getting a trampoline and an ant farm. I still need to get for a few of my siblings, my parents and in-laws and DH.
Call me scroogey but I don't shop for kids other than my own. I did for a while but it turned into 'just add your gift to the huge pile already in front of the kid'. I would actually prefer that my family followed my example in regards to my kids but "kids need stuff to open". Our kids get plenty of stuff at our house, we know what they like and what we have space for, we don't need filler stuff, really. (and for whatever reason, my family doesn't see the value in gifting the kids experiences)

I love all the planning everyone does! I don't shop for the kids until October. However, I will add that this year is the first year ever I opened up a Christmas account to save money, and I love it! I don't know why I never did this before! I have an account where I won't be tied to needing a minimum balance and don't have account charges, so it's great. I started it in April, and will end depositing in November, transfer it over to checking to pay the credit card bill with whatever Christmas items were bought, then will repeat the process next year.

I don't buy for extended family much, it's kept to small items like Christmas chocolates or Swiss Colony or something for the brother-in-laws, in-laws, etc. I like to send my mom and brother a gift card for the grocery store, as they can really use it and appreciate it.

la79al saw the fingerling monkey thought it was cute it's under hot toys for this year, was maybe thinking of getting one for my DD's :)

I'm enjoying this thread as Christmas is my favorite holiday, closely followed by Halloween. I haven't started shopping yet for this season, even though I generally do buy things when I find them on sale/clearance and stockpile it until it's needed. I think because I've tried to cut down on my frivolous shopping this year I haven't really found anything so far. My preference for gift giving is also to gift an experience rather than an actual gift, but it sometimes just doesn't work out that way. My list for this year will include:

Hubby (No idea on what i'm getting him, maybe some movies.)
Mom/Dad (Probably K cups since they finally got a Keurig. My mom generally gets perfume.)
Inlaws - Mom/Dad/Brother/Sister/Sister's Fiance (No idea here either. Father in law recently lost his job, so not sure what they most need. Sister and her fiance will probably get gifted an experience or something they can use for their wedding next year. Brother...no idea.)
My kitty - Cat toys more than likely.
My friends and their 2 kids - Not sure yet.
Best friend - Something CA themed since she moved to Texas a few years ago and just bought a house. Maybe something for her and her husband.

I think that's really about it. Maybe something for my nieces/nephew, but they are pretty much spoiled and already have everything they could even want. The hubby and I usually buy a big gift for the both of us and I always say that's all we're doing. But that never happens! I always end up buying him little things just because I can't help myself. I love shopping online on Black Friday (and pre-Black Friday). I also go out to stores later in the day on Black Friday.

I have stopped shopping early for 2 reasons. #1 If I shop early, I keep seeing things I want to buy,and once Christmas is here, I've bought waaaay too much. #2 My kids are always changing their minds on what they like! Today it may be my little ponies,next week barbies! Hope all you early shoppers have fun! I used to think I saved money doing that. I was wrong. :)

I love all the planning everyone does! I don't shop for the kids until October. However, I will add that this year is the first year ever I opened up a Christmas account to save money, and I love it! I don't know why I never did this before! I have an account where I won't be tied to needing a minimum balance and don't have account charges, so it's great. I started it in April, and will end depositing in November, transfer it over to checking to pay the credit card bill with whatever Christmas items were bought, then will repeat the process next year.

I don't buy for extended family much, it's kept to small items like Christmas chocolates or Swiss Colony or something for the brother-in-laws, in-laws, etc. I like to send my mom and brother a gift card for the grocery store, as they can really use it and appreciate it.

what bank? I was thinking of starting a small one for something along the same lines.

what bank? I was thinking of starting a small one for something along the same lines.

Not the poster, but I do the same thing with our credit union. I have it set up for them to take a set amount out each week. On Nov 1 they will transfer that money to my checking account. Its the best thing ever! I don't miss the money since its automatically take out, so I get some "free" money to shop with come holiday season. And its a free service with no penalties/minimums. Hope u can find a bank/credit union that does it.

For this, I'm keeping it in USAA. My regular bank where I have our checking has a $100 minimum balance requirement or you get a service charge, so I don't like that for this purpose.

The other thing I am aspiring to get done is mail or order gifts done by December 1st. I notice in past years whenever if I've got any dealings with the post office or mail, I like to get it done by the first week in December the latest, and I'm much more relaxed.

I started shopping for Christmas in July and thought I was doing good until we got another 4 grandkids, 1 "adopted" granddaughter, step daughter and her husband to buy for. We're leaving for Disney o Thanksgiving and won't be back until Dec. 10 so I want to be finished shopping before Thanksgiving. I've been scouring the internet every chance I get for gift ideas and decent deals and so far I've gotten.

"Adopted" grandson - VTech Drill and Learn Toolbox
"Adopted" granddaughter - Leapfrog musical tea party set
Granddaughter 1 - Crayola 3 in 1 Double Easel
Granddaughter 2 - Fingerlings ( this is all she wants)
Granddaughter 3 - Purple Fingerling & Singing Moana/ pets
Granddaughter 4 - Old Navy and Sonic Gift cards & Bracelet
Granddaughter 5 - Old Navy and Sonic Gift Cards & Necklace
Grandson - Lego Batman Joker Lowrider & Five Nights at Freddy's mini action set ( kind of like legos)
All of the grandkids will be getting a small gift bag of candy/snacks from Disney .

Granddaughters 1&2 moms - I just buy something small for them. This year they are getting Rechargeable batteries in each size and a charger.
DD's nurse - $50 gift card, Bath and Body works set, PJ pants and a 2 yr subscription to Birds and Blooms
DD's part time sitter - $25 gift card & Disney Fudge

DD - 2 Fingerlings
Alex Pet rocks crafts ( owl, turtle, fox and frog) ,
4 3DS games- Kirby Robobot, Lego Friends, Hey Pikmin and Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer
Perler Beads and Pegboards
Adult Coloring books, Fuzzy posters, markers, and coloring pencils
Charm bracelet kit with a variety of charms
Several Shrinky dink sets
Subscription to Birds and Blooms

I still need to get

Step daughter and her husband - Gift cards to Texas Roadhouse and AMC and some treats from Disney
MIL - Whatever DH picks up for her
DH - Parts for the 1946 Truck he is restoring
DD - Movies, clothes, crafts sets, gift cards, Subscription to Celebration magazine and some jewelry and treats from Disney. I also need to pick up stuff for her stocking.

This year is a budget buster with all the new gift recipients for Christmas and everyone's birthdays fall in either May/June or Dec/January. I do love these threads though for all the great ideas I find.

I started shopping for Christmas in July and thought I was doing good until we got another 4 grandkids, 1 "adopted" granddaughter, step daughter and her husband to buy for. We're leaving for Disney o Thanksgiving and won't be back until Dec. 10 so I want to be finished shopping before Thanksgiving. I've been scouring the internet every chance I get for gift ideas and decent deals and so far I've gotten.

"Adopted" grandson - VTech Drill and Learn Toolbox
"Adopted" granddaughter - Leapfrog musical tea party set
Granddaughter 1 - Crayola 3 in 1 Double Easel
Granddaughter 2 - Fingerlings ( this is all she wants)
Granddaughter 3 - Purple Fingerling & Singing Moana/ pets
Granddaughter 4 - Old Navy and Sonic Gift cards & Bracelet
Granddaughter 5 - Old Navy and Sonic Gift Cards & Necklace
Grandson - Lego Batman Joker Lowrider & Five Nights at Freddy's mini action set ( kind of like legos)
All of the grandkids will be getting a small gift bag of candy/snacks from Disney .

Granddaughters 1&2 moms - I just buy something small for them. This year they are getting Rechargeable batteries in each size and a charger.
DD's nurse - $50 gift card, Bath and Body works set, PJ pants and a 2 yr subscription to Birds and Blooms
DD's part time sitter - $25 gift card & Disney Fudge

DD - 2 Fingerlings
Alex Pet rocks crafts ( owl, turtle, fox and frog) ,
4 3DS games- Kirby Robobot, Lego Friends, Hey Pikmin and Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer
Perler Beads and Pegboards
Adult Coloring books, Fuzzy posters, markers, and coloring pencils
Charm bracelet kit with a variety of charms
Several Shrinky dink sets
Subscription to Birds and Blooms

I still need to get

Step daughter and her husband - Gift cards to Texas Roadhouse and AMC and some treats from Disney
MIL - Whatever DH picks up for her
DH - Parts for the 1946 Truck he is restoring
DD - Movies, clothes, crafts sets, gift cards, Subscription to Celebration magazine and some jewelry and treats from Disney. I also need to pick up stuff for her stocking.

This year is a budget buster with all the new gift recipients for Christmas and everyone's birthdays fall in either May/June or Dec/January. I do love these threads though for all the great ideas I find.

I love your list.... I wasn't sure what Alex Pet Rocks were so I googled it.
you gave me an idea..................
My granddaughter is 13 ,I am gong to go rock hunting and make a "Homemade Pet Rock kit".
I found this page that kind of explains what is needed in a kit. Now I just have to find the supplies needed.
I think this is a great idea.
Thanks for sharing and congrats on your "growing" family.
Hugs Mel

Have a look here

https://craftsbyamanda.com/painted-rock-garden-markers/

I love your list.... I wasn't sure what Alex Pet Rocks were so I googled it.
you gave me an idea..................
My granddaughter is 13 ,I am gong to go rock hunting and make a "Homemade Pet Rock kit".
I found this page that kind of explains what is needed in a kit. Now I just have to find the supplies needed.
I think this is a great idea.
Thanks for sharing and congrats on your "growing" family.
Hugs Mel

Have a look here

https://craftsbyamanda.com/painted-rock-garden-markers/

Thanks, that's a great idea! That would be perfect to make a couple of "kits" for DD's Easter gift . With aquarium glue and the right shaped rocks we could probably even make up some rock insects/animals.

Just made my biggest purchase for Christmas - not on gifts, but travel. This cost far exceeds all present costs - by lots. 2 plane tickets "home", hotel room reservation, rental car reservation. Ouch.

I wasn't sure we were going to travel this year - Mom passed away last year just a few days before Christmas, Dad passed away a few years earlier. But all the siblings decided we wanted to keep up the tradition of all still gathering at my brother's house. Since we sold my parent's house (where we would always stay) earlier this year, the hotel room is a new expense this year. :headache:

That is a big ouch!

I agree with one of the pp, I am always reluctant to start too early for the kids because they change their mind too much. I'm still hoping to be done by Thanksgiving though. Amazon is my favorite way to shop.

Usually I am in full swing Birthday/Christmas (my younger two have a birthday end of Nov.) shopping by now but the younger two will be 12, seem over toys and know what's up about Santa. I feel like I have to take it slow this year and be really decisive about what I buy. Older DD just turned 21 and really wants for nothing. If she wants it she buys it so I have to be super creative for her.

I did buy my first gift yesterday. Older DD is Tiana and a baker. Her favorite princess is of course, Princess Tiana. I splurged and bought her the Dooney and Burke Tiana cross body bag. It's something she would never, ever, buy herself. Thank goodness for the AP discount!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter