Christmas 2017

I picked up a Fingerling and a mini backpack/purse today for my 10 year old. She hasn't asked for a Fingerling but they are cute and looked like something she would like so I picked one up at Target. She saw the mini backpack the other day and wanted it. I told her we would put it on her Christmas list.
You might want to “get a read” on her when the Fingerling commercial comes on. I picked up two for my 11 soon to be 12 year olds thinking I was so awesome for scoring such a hot toy. The commercial came on and they declared them, “the creepiest thing ever!” Hanging onto them in case someone is desperately looking for them but won’t be underneath my tree. :sad2:

Good idea! Since it came from Target and I used my red card to buy it, I have a long time to return it if she doesn't seem interested (or decides it is creepy- lol).

Good idea! Since it came from Target and I used my red card to buy it, I have a long time to return it if she doesn't seem interested (or decides it is creepy- lol).
Yeah, same here, so it’s no big deal for me to hang onto them for a bit.

I have asked my sister's for their kids wish list. I am attempting not to give gift cards this year. My son said it is to early to have his list by the last day of September, but I have to think about his birthday too. I know we will be getting the wireless beats...as for the adults, I had tried I no previous years to just do a gift exchange rather to give to all, but I always get looked down on..so I'm done trying. I will be focusing on my kids, the inlaws/mom, and then the rest of the adult swim when doing my budget....

I tried to preorder the mini Nintendo, but it was sold out for preorders...wanted it more for myself..lmao. So that is a no go. The good thing is, I do know what's my husband wants for Xmas..

My son said it is to early to have his list by the last day of September

DD17 started her list back in June. When I said that seemed a little early, her reply was "But I know you shop early Mom - I want to make sure you get the right stuff!":rotfl2:

That said, I know the girl better than she knows herself - I don't even need a list for her. I bought something for her back in March that she just learned about last month and added to her list! Her list ends up being mostly for extended family.

DH asked the other day if he could get a chimney for his charcoal grill for one of his christmas gifts and just have it early. I figure, hey, he's an adult, if that's what he wants! So went out and got him that for $15. Went today to Kohl's a got a Star Wars soap dispenser for our best friend since he's obsessed and will be moving cities next year and living alone (not with roommates) for the first time. Also got my cousin and her girlfriend's gift started. They love the beach so I'm gifting them a beach bag this year with all kinds of fun summer things (bonus is I can get a lot of it now for super cheap!) So got their bag today and will add flip flops for one, sunglasses for the other, a couple's towel, and I'm not sure what else- any ideas?

Also got something for DS, but I'll probably give it to him for Easter instead. He's already got a lot more than I planned on for Christmas and he will barely be a month old!

I had Kohl's cash for everything today so I spent $0 out of pocket! Christmas budget is looking very healthy! : )

Also got my cousin and her girlfriend's gift started. They love the beach so I'm gifting them a beach bag this year with all kinds of fun summer things (bonus is I can get a lot of it now for super cheap!) So got their bag today and will add flip flops for one, sunglasses for the other, a couple's towel, and I'm not sure what else- any ideas?
Beachball? Frisbee?

Also got my cousin and her girlfriend's gift started. They love the beach so I'm gifting them a beach bag this year with all kinds of fun summer things (bonus is I can get a lot of it now for super cheap!) So got their bag today and will add flip flops for one, sunglasses for the other, a couple's towel, and I'm not sure what else- any ideas? QUOTE]

A magazine subscription can be inexpensive and a fun gift. I have heard good things about discountmags.com? Plus who wouldn't love to get something in the mail monthly. Just put the current month with a note in the bag.

Well, it has begun. Just placed my first online order for a couple of gifts! As soon as the '-ber' months start I try to get hopping on my shopping! Two years ago I successfully completed everything for Christmas before Thanksgiving. It was fantastic, and I do believe I will try to get that done again this year!

Has not been bought but will be purchasing a snowblower for DD and SIL as they are new homeowners

Our 2 grandsons have Birthdays in October-turning 1 and 3-so will wait until that happens to shop for them-may hold on some of what I have already bought

DS is newly out of the Army and will shortly be relocating for a job so will probably get him things for his new place.

Beachball? Frisbee?

Great ideas! Thank you! I also really like the magazine subscription suggestion- it won't let me quote your post for some reason but thank you for the idea! They're buying a home soon so maybe Rachael Ray or Better Homes and Gardens would be good choices for them. Hmm.... lots to think about!

Love this thread! I haven't started shopping yet but am getting some ideas together. I downloaded the Santa's Bag app, that should come in handy. The last couple years I just used the Notes app on my phone to keep track of what gifts I'd bought/wanted to buy, but also tracking the amount spent is even better.

We stopped exchanging gifts with extended family a long time ago, so we have a pretty small list of people to buy for: DD8, DD4, my mom, MIL, my sister & BIL, and my godmother. Then there are 2 teacher gifts (usually pool $ as a class and get a GC) and a tip for our building’s super. DW & I don’t exchange gifts with each other, just do a nice date night some time during the holiday week while Mom/MIL are there to watch the kids for us.

My ideas so far are:
DD8 - LEGO Elves sets (she has some & asked for more), new Wii U games, Wonder Woman Blu-ray, Bop-It or Simon.

DD4 - PJ Mask Catboy’s & Gecko’s vehicles (she has Owlette’s and asked for the other two), Lego set. Someone upthread mentioned getting their DD a ream of white paper and I may steal that idea - DD4 is constantly taking the paper out of our printer and it drives me nuts!

I also like to get them one or two things they can use together. Last year for joint gifts they got Magnatiles and a big 20-color box of Playdoh with a set of classic Playdoh toys. Both of these were big hits but I don’t have any good joint gift ideas so far for this year. Maybe some board games we can play as a family, both of them like games. They will also both get some books. I try not to buy too much because their grandmothers tend to go a little overboard. ;)

No idea what I’m getting for my mom & MIL yet. My mom is moving this week, so I will see if she needs anything for her new place.

My sister & BIL are expecting their first baby next spring, so I may just get them a gift card to Target or somewhere that they can use toward baby stuff or whatever they need, unless they give me any other ideas.

My godmother & I exchange small gifts; I usually get her some fancy tea or candles/wax melts.

I love this thread every year.

we have severely culled who we buy for now.

DH and I; not sure, DH needs new golf shoes and I have no idea...

DS8; wiiU game, DS XL game, boardgame (Catan), book, a good Crumpler backpack for our travels next year, a day at the Gladiator school in Rome, a day at the rowing school in Venice.

DD10; Crumpler backpack for our travels, good hula hoop, book, boardgames (Carcassonne), Gladiator and rowing school days, Lush bath bombs, DC Comics, wiiU game.

Neither children really want or need for anything and one just had a birthday, DD's is less than a month after Christmas.

...one idea we are considering is buying an air hockey table for the entire family...?

Mum/Dad; tickets to the theatre and lunch/afternoon tea

MIL; Sherlock series (BBC), chocolates, a book

SIL; seeing if I can upgrade her flight next year to Europe to business class with points/cash...depends on how much our options are

Nephews; we only buy for 3 now, will send them each $50.

Normally I am totally done and organised, but as the children become older I find I need to wait to see what their preferences are closer to the day, and try to seperate out birthdays from Christmas.

Last edited:
Just saw that Amazon has announced some new Echo products. We have a Dot and I already bought dh an Echo for the garage but I think I'm going to get a couple sets of the Echo Buttons for a family gift this year.

I preordered the Nintendo Switch Super Mario Odyssey Edition for my kids birthday (11/30.) It's not in my nature to pay full price but from what I understand Switches will be hard to come by the closer we get to the holidays so I wanted to be locked in with the “big gift.”

There are some Beats Solos 3 on sale at Best Buy right now, Black for $199 and Rose Gold for $219. I had in my head I was going to get them wireless but even those prices are a little steep. Anyone think I might be able to do better closer to Black Friday? The wired EP Beats are $129 but I’m almost positive I’ll be able to get those for around $80 once holiday sales kick in.

eta: Solos 2 Luxe Edition at Walmart for $149

What to do, what to do?

Last edited:
Advice needed on Nintendo Switch. I have one child DD18 at collge. HUGE Nintendo fan. Has the Wi but of course no new games available. Loves her DS. Has mentioned the switch and says can't justify cost b/c few games to her interest. This was last year. I know the new Zelda game looks amazing. I too preordered the Mario switch. Having no sibilings to really PLAY with - she wouldn't be taking this to school with her either. Is this a crazy buy? I have noticed ironically several for sale on craigs list - switch with Zelda game - so I am guessing it was people like DD that bought, beat the Zelda game, and no longer interested in the switch....

So I have found some great ideas for hubby. I'm not going to list all of them right now but I'm super stoked I just bought him tickets for the Game of Thrones Live Experience Concert. He's going to DIE. The concert isn't until next October, but he won't care. I'm trying to find some sort of tickets for an experience or concert for DD13 now.

So I have found some great ideas for hubby. I'm not going to list all of them right now but I'm super stoked I just bought him tickets for the Game of Thrones Live Experience Concert. He's going to DIE. The concert isn't until next October, but he won't care. I'm trying to find some sort of tickets for an experience or concert for DD13 now.
fill me in!!! where can I get tix???? tiketmaster? I don't show it in my town but did find 3 hours away. Is this musical things? Like the Star Wars or Pokémon type concert? This is genius!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter