• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Christmas Music

why does she call it that
Really I guess the whole song could be misconstrued that way, but she especially points out the line "Say, what's in this drink?" I still like the song, but I can't hear it now without hearing it that way a little, lol.

Really I guess the whole song could be misconstrued that way, but she especially points out the line "Say, what's in this drink?" I still like the song, but I can't hear it now without hearing it that way a little, lol.

nooo, she getting tipsy and wants to do stuff "good girls" dont, so she is going to blame it on the drink

And that's from a time when, just adding a bit more alcohol to any drink would engender that comment.

nooo, she getting tipsy and wants to do stuff "good girls" dont, so she is going to blame it on the drink

And that's from a time when, just adding a bit more alcohol to any drink would engender that comment.

Yes, I understand the song wasn't intended to mean someone was drugged or wasn't consenting. I was just sharing my daughter's observation. It's out there - google the song title along with date rape or parody. It's more of a joke than anyone calling for the song to banned or anything.

Bing Crosby and The Andrew Sisters, hands down! Nat Kind Cole. Dean Martin. Though I'm not a big fan of Frank Sinatra( my dd chides me for this). There a few singles thrown in that I like to listen to but not necessarily the whole albums: Bruce Springsteen, George Strait, Bette Midler. Or whatever my dd forces me to listen to when I'm captive in the car :)

My playlist goes between Pentatonix and the Casting Crowns christmas albums - I could listen to Mary did you Know on repeat.

For some reason Michael Buble's christmas stuff drives me crazy, seems too drawn out and slow for me - but I know lots of people love him.

For hymns its definitely O Holy Night, I'd be hard pressed to pick just one favorite version of it though.

It's not Christmas until I bust out Bing Crosby's White Christmas album! :santa:

The Carpenters' Christmas album is a close second. Also an occasional round of the White Christmas soundtrack (definitely different from the original Bing album) and the soundtrack from The Grinch.

Favourites are:

Mary's Boy Child - love the Boney M version
Jingle Bell Rock - makes me happy even though it always brings to mind the movie Lethal Weapon lol

Least Favourite:
That Mariah Carey one.

Also, any religious Christmas carol, even though I am not particularly religious myself, makes me all misty eyed.

Thankfully, our church does a pretty good job of making sure there's lots of traditional singing. But non-traditional? "Santa Clause is Coming to Town" by Bruce Springsteen. "All I want for Christmas is You" by Mariah Carey, and the opening song to "National Lampoons Christmas Vacation".
Hates? Hippopotamus and anything by Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Though I prefer the old classics I really enjoy The Brian Setzer Orchestra Dig That Crazy Christmas

Yes, I understand the song wasn't intended to mean someone was drugged or wasn't consenting. I was just sharing my daughter's observation. It's out there - google the song title along with date rape or parody. It's more of a joke than anyone calling for the song to banned or anything.

Truthfully, I think the interpretation can go either way. After all, it was the 40's, and a) respect for women and consent weren't taken as seriously as they are now; and b) while ruphies weren't invented yet, a man plying a woman with liquor in order to break off a little sumpin-sumpin wasn't unheard of.

Here's what Wikipedia says:

Although some critical analyses of the song have highlighted parts of the lyrics such as "What's in this drink?" and the man's unrelenting pressure to stay despite the woman's repeated suggestions that she should go home,[4]others noted that cultural expectations of the time period were such that women were not socially permitted to spend the night with a boyfriend or fiance, and that the woman states that she wants to stay, while "What's in this drink?" was a common idiom of the period used to rebuke social expectations by blaming one's actions on the influence of alcohol.

Trans Siberian Orchestra, Mannheim Steamrollers are usually both in the mix. Prefer more of the classics and prefer to make my own mix, as opposed to the radio where you here the same songs over and over again, just different artists. I hate Christmas Shoes and any hokey songs.

I have very electic taste in music but Christmas Eve is pretty much dedicated to European boys' choirs for me. Just feels right. Throw some Take 6 into the mix and I just can't get any mellower.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter