Covid And The Rest of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Politics encouraged people to get tested, and now we don't have capacity.
My county mentioned a few weeks ago that they were concerned not enough people were seeking out testing. They have the supplies now and have appointment based testing M-F with or without symptoms. Right now they say "results can take up to 5 business days, but we usually get them sooner." Whereas for a decent while they had a large backlog because of a huge influx of testing when we were experiencing our large spike in June/July. But your comment about capacity is exactly what I'm worried about. I love that we apparently have enough testing that they feel like we're not doing enough, that's a relief, but I'm concerned our supply will then dry up especially with fall coming :(

I'm sorry to hear you don't have the capacity right now. Are there plans to get more testing kits? If so where would they get them from?

It will be interesting to see if there is any perceivable difference in how things there are being handled.
We went to a Lake about 3 or so hours from us (but across the border of the state into the next state) the week before Labor Day. While 95% of our activities were outside it was night and day to where we live in terms of protocols. Thankfully no one gave us glares for wearing masks like some people have experienced and posted about on the Boards but we were by far in the minority in wearing them (there is no state wide mandate in that state and the county nor the cities down where we were have a mandate either or require their employees at the restaurants to wear them though some did).

As far as being at the Lake the risk with the boating/swimming was null because we were in all by ourselves (the Lake is huge) it was the restaurants we went to that would be the risk so we ate outside whenever it was possible but a few places we were inside. We didn't do any shopping either though. I must admit I needed that Lake trip. Between 2 trips cancelled this year, only being in our metro, added stressed, etc. it was just nice to get away and enjoy being on the boat.

I hope you have a good trip! Is this quick trip just for fun to get a breather or is it business?

My county mentioned a few weeks ago that they were concerned not enough people were seeking out testing. They have the supplies now and have appointment based testing M-F with or without symptoms. Right now they say "results can take up to 5 business days, but we usually get them sooner." Whereas for a decent while they had a large backlog because of a huge influx of testing when we were experiencing our large spike in June/July. But your comment about capacity is exactly what I'm worried about. I love that we apparently have enough testing that they feel like we're not doing enough, that's a relief, but I'm concerned our supply will then dry up especially with fall coming :(

I'm sorry to hear you don't have the capacity right now. Are there plans to get more testing kits? If so where would they get them from?
Maybe I should have worded 'capacity' differently, it's not having enough tests. There were issues, but we were getting extra from Germany. It's more that a lab can only process x many people at a time.

We also had some articles about the people manning the phones, they are dealing with quite some (Verbal) abuse when people can't get tested within the time frame they want, or at the testing center nearby.

Oh, my 10 day isolation after my DLP trip is finally done, I can post pictures on social media :D

Holy Cow! :eek: That is a TON of cases and deaths for your population. Here with a provincial population of 4.3 million we have had a little less than 13,000 cases and 257 deaths; over 90% of fatalities were amongst our seniors in care facilities. I’m always very curious to know what has caused such a great difference in the effects from place-to-place.

Are your universities resuming in-person classes? Here our K-Grade 12 schools all opened for in-person learning on Sept. 1 but all post-secondary schools are on-line only. The campuses are closed with the exception of access to residence for students under special circumstances.
We have a population of about 3.15 million. Interestingly the most cases are not always in the most densely populated areas. All schools are open and from Monday all University campuses will be open. https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-wales-52380643

We, in Ontario might be tightening things up again. Our numbers are going up, mostly due to people ignoring the rules of limited gathering.

Same situation in Quebec, we are close to 300 cases per day. Montreal is now coded orange I believe. Hospitalizations are very slowly going upward. They also say it’s people ignoring the rules of limited gatherings. We we warned that we may not be far off from another type of lockdown. We are testing 24,000 a day.

My nephew was tested yesterday, 🥴. We are awaiting those results in the next 24-48 hrs, my son went to play basketball with him outside Friday. My nephew is 11, and according to SIL, has a bad cough, headache, congestion, no fever. I was told by her the amount of children being tested was crazy. She is an integration aide in school, so she is off while waiting.

Maybe I should have worded 'capacity' differently, it's not having enough tests. There were issues, but we were getting extra from Germany. It's more that a lab can only process x many people at a time.
Ooohh okay I gotcha. I hope it gets better :flower3:

I feel like that's part of the reason they keep trying to get quicker and quicker tests on the market (that still need to be accurate though) because a lab can only do so many tests.
We also had some articles about the people manning the phones, they are dealing with quite some (Verbal) abuse when people can't get tested within the time frame they want, or at the testing center nearby.
Ugh I don't like that when I hear about that. I know it's such a stressful time so I can't blame people for being a bit short-tempered but you still shouldn't resort to verbally abusive conversation with people like that especially because they have no control over the situation either.
Oh, my 10 day isolation after my DLP trip is finally done, I can post pictures on social media :D
If you consider the DIS social media post away!

Ooohh okay I gotcha. I hope it gets better :flower3:

I feel like that's part of the reason they keep trying to get quicker and quicker tests on the market (that still need to be accurate though) because a lab can only do so many tests.
Ugh I don't like that when I hear about that. I know it's such a stressful time so I can't blame people for being a bit short-tempered but you still shouldn't resort to verbally abusive conversation with people like that especially because they have no control over the situation either.
If you consider the DIS social media post away!
I've posted at least one picture here :) But because I can I'll spam some more ;-)

My new dress

Unusual things happen here

I bought a travelsized Pascal and Bruni (they both come with a magnet pad to pin them on your shoulder. Can you spot them in below pictures?

Even though the Jungle Book Jive show was cancelled, we helped Minnie to find our way in the jungle.
We're on our waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, we on our waaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Tiana was there to say hi to us from her carriage. (It looks so silly that the coach girl wears a mask, but the princess doesn't).

Phantom Manor

The Jolly Roger

I've posted at least one picture here :) But because I can I'll spam some more ;-)

My new dress
View attachment 526239

View attachment 526240View attachment 526241View attachment 526242

I bought a travelsized Pascal and Bruni (they both come with a magnet pad to pin them on your shoulder. Can you spot them in below pictures?
View attachment 526243View attachment 526244

Even though the Jungle Book Jive show was cancelled, we helped Minnie to find our way in the jungle.

View attachment 526245

Tiana was there to say hi to us from her carriage. (It looks so silly that the coach girl wears a mask, but the princess doesn't).
View attachment 526246

Phantom Manor
View attachment 526247

The Jolly Roger
View attachment 526249
Thanks for sharing! We can all live vicariously through you!

My new dress
View attachment 526239

View attachment 526240View attachment 526241View attachment 526242

View attachment 526243View attachment 526244

View attachment 526245

View attachment 526246

Phantom Manor
View attachment 526247

The Jolly Roger
View attachment 526249
These are great!

Phantom Manor looks neat,I like the landscape they did around it.

Very cute character interaction :love:

I love the pascal and bruni idea, so cute!!

Love the dress :)

Well if your pictures are any indication you must have had a great time :hyper:

Thanks for sharing, it's nice to have a mini break from it all ::yes::

Right now my husband is trying to convince me to go to an all-inclusive resort in Mexico next year (like a year from now) to make up for one of our lost trips this year. He hasn't been successful yet but I'll admit it's been a bit fun just thinking about again as in travels.

We went to a Lake about 3 or so hours from us (but across the border of the state into the next state) the week before Labor Day. While 95% of our activities were outside it was night and day to where we live in terms of protocols. Thankfully no one gave us glares for wearing masks like some people have experienced and posted about on the Boards but we were by far in the minority in wearing them (there is no state wide mandate in that state and the county nor the cities down where we were have a mandate either or require their employees at the restaurants to wear them though some did).

As far as being at the Lake the risk with the boating/swimming was null because we were in all by ourselves (the Lake is huge) it was the restaurants we went to that would be the risk so we ate outside whenever it was possible but a few places we were inside. We didn't do any shopping either though. I must admit I needed that Lake trip. Between 2 trips cancelled this year, only being in our metro, added stressed, etc. it was just nice to get away and enjoy being on the boat.

I hope you have a good trip! Is this quick trip just for fun to get a breather or is it business?
We got away relatively locally last weekend and I agree, it was nice to just take a little trip! :goodvibes

These are great!

Phantom Manor looks neat,I like the landscape they did around it.

Very cute character interaction :love:

I love the pascal and bruni idea, so cute!!

Love the dress :)

Well if your pictures are any indication you must have had a great time :hyper:

Thanks for sharing, it's nice to have a mini break from it all ::yes::

Right now my husband is trying to convince me to go to an all-inclusive resort in Mexico next year (like a year from now) to make up for one of our lost trips this year. He hasn't been successful yet but I'll admit it's been a bit fun just thinking about again as in travels.
Thanks :) We had a blast. I really hope the situation improves, my next visit is in 4 weeks.

It really depends on what you are comfortable with, but I would say if the place where you are going is managing the rules well (extra cleaning, tells people to wear their masks etc), I'd say go. Doesn't have to be far, I have several friends who just go to a hotel in the next town, so to speak. Getting out of your house for even a weekend does wonders for your mental health. At least for me :)

Updates from Ireland

Our Government published a new plan called Living With Covid 19 for the next 6 to 9 months. Its a new 5 step plan for the country but it can also be used on a more local county level.

The plan covers things such as
  • Social and family gatherings
  • Organised Indoor Events
  • Exercise and Sporting events
  • Religious Services
  • Domestic Travel Restrictions
  • Schools and Education Facilities
  • Care Homes
  • Restaurants and Hotels
  • Bars and Clubs
Level 1 is where we want to be and where we should stay, Level 5 is back to the March / April lockdown.

Currently all counties are at level 2 but Dublin is expected to go back to Level 3 by the end of the week. This means that domestic travel outside Dublin will be restricted and the amount of people allowed at different indoor and outdoor settings will be reduced.

According the the Irish Covid Tracker App last updated 15 September, in the last 24 hours
  • 357 cases
  • 3 deaths
  • 8 hospital admissions
  • 7 hospital discharge
  • 65 cases in hospital
  • 14 in ICU
There is no update on international travel. The current Irish Government rules are that Irish people are not to travel off the island for non essential travel. People from the Green list of countries can travel to Ireland without having to do a 14 day quarantine.

Ireland will be part of the new European rules regarding international travel which is currently in review. The EU will publish this new update in the next few weeks.

I have heard it's just plain awful to have. How do they deal with the dual positive test issue with the treatments since you said mixing is a no no?
Well the big deal with Dengue is no blood thinners, ibuprofen is a big no and can lead to internal bleeding and death. The drugs they have been giving to treat covid cases, can not be given to dengue cases. I am not sure why, just that people have been told to start on the treatment at first symptoms and self isolate and now they are having to reverse that since it the person actually has dengue, or both, its a problem. This might just be the issue of lack of quantity of medical care available, as no doctor prescription is needed for drugs. People have been told to self diagnose and treat until this week's reversal due to dengue cases being found.

We, in Ontario might be tightening things up again. Our numbers are going up, mostly due to people ignoring the rules of limited gathering.
Where are you in Ontario? I live in the dreaded Peel region, so a hot spot, such joy. My sons school is one that has a confirmed case. Kids have only been back a week and not many have been in daily! It sounds like a bus driver though, it was on a bus that it was confirmed. I really hope people tame down the Social gatherings, drives me crazy how normal some people are living.

I'm practically next door to you... Halton. :) We've been back a week, too. So far, so good. DS is in HS, so he's actually only in the school for 5 mornings every 2 weeks. The online is working for him, so far. Also, older DS is doing online university.

And I agree that people seem to feel like it's all done with. It's not.

Bullhead city, AZ votes stop mask mandate today......is that irony?? 9 new cases yesteryday
That is a fairly unique American phenomenon. There are individuals here that are rebelling against the mandate but certainly nothing very organized. And there will be no voting for-or-against; the mandates have been made as part of our State of Medical Emergency on the sole authority of Premiers/Mayors. There are several jurisdictions involved in legislating and enforcing the mandate in Canada. In Alberta it is a provincial mandate with municipal enforcement (city by-law). Businesses are responsible for ensuring patrons adhere or they are fined for infractions on their premises.

Personally, while I've adjusted to life with COVID, I'm entirely fed up with authorities only talking about preventative measures (masks, social distancing, contact tracing, etc) and literally nobody is talking about an OTC treatment, a cure, a vaccine, or at least SOME form of innoculation or man-made medicine against this horrible disease. Sooner or later the people need something more than just "slow the spread" and "reduce the risk."
Here ya go - https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/09/15/coronavirus-university-pittsburgh-biomolecule-neutralize/

Of course it is early yet in the development. These things are being worked on, but they take time. I don't want to hear about these timegs from 'authorities' who have no medical knowledge.

I don't want to hear about these timegs from 'authorities' who have no medical knowledge.

That's for sure. It only causes confusion for the public. Just like in the news today about when the public can expect a wider distribution of vaccines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter