Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

So we may not get a driver that will accept a request to go from MCO to Clearwater? What if we request the ride in advance, like a couple of days?
It's possible that you wouldn't be able to get a ride, but I think eventually someone will accept it. You just might have to work through a couple of cancellations first.

The importance of the new feature Joel posted about is that now you know than any driver who accepts a long ride, should know they are accepting a long ride. Once you get an acceptance, immediately call the driver and tell them exactly where you are going. If they are not willing to take that long of a ride, YOU cancel immediately to protect both yourself and the driver. And then request again.

I'm not a fan of pre-scheduled rides...unless you already know the driver you're riding with. And at an airport, you can't really do them anyway because an electronic queue is used. There will be plenty of drivers there -- just do a regular request.

Last edited:
Looking for best transportation option on a Saturday in October from MCO to AKV, then to AK. I land at MCO at 10:30am and need to get to AK by 1:35 for an ADR, but I will need to dump my luggage before heading to AK. I do not think I will make it using ME so I am considering a town car or Uber/ Lyft. I am a female traveling on my own not having used Uber/ Lyfty previously. I appreciate any feedback.

Oh and the rest of my party will already be at the park.
The key to your question is not your transportation to AKV -- it's the timeliness of your flight. If your flight arrives on time, any of those options will work fine. Uber/Lyft will be much less expensive than a town car, and both services are very easy to use.

IF you can just drop luggage at the AKV bell station, that would not be a problem -- but be sure to tell the driver en route. With Lyft, you can specify the intermediate stop at AKV in your ride request. With Uber, the driver will want to use the "Stop New Requests" feature so he doesn't get a pickup at AKV.

If you have to CHECK IN to leave your luggage, you will need to get out, check in and drop baggage,and order another ride -- OR negotiate a wait-for-tip deal with the Uber/Lyft driver. Uber/Lyft drivers don't make money if the wheels aren't turning and Orlando rates are so low, they really can't afford to wait without extra compensation.

Looking for best transportation option on a Saturday in October from MCO to AKV, then to AK. I land at MCO at 10:30am and need to get to AK by 1:35 for an ADR, but I will need to dump my luggage before heading to AK. I do not think I will make it using ME so I am considering a town car or Uber/ Lyft. I am a female traveling on my own not having used Uber/ Lyfty previously. I appreciate any feedback.

I personally use Uber a lot when I travel by myself as a single female in my 30s and feel safe doing so. I always send a screenshot of my travel details (driver name, license plate etc. that is provided by Uber to those that I am meeting, or my husband if not meeting anyone) there are also a couple different ways using the Uber app for you to have people follow your trip in real time, I just got used to sending screenshots so I don't take advantage of those features. Uber offers information on their website of how to utilize these services. You can likely do the same things with Lyft, but I can't use the Lyft app on my phone for some unknown reason, so I am not as familiar with it. You should absolutely not do something that you are not comfortable with, I just wanted to share my experience as someone who uses Uber frequently as a solo female in a variety of different cities.

It's possible that you wouldn't be able to get a ride, but I think eventually someone will accept it. You just might have to work through a couple of cancellations first.

The importance of the new feature Joel posted about is that now you know than any driver who accepts a long ride, should know they are accepting a long ride. Once you get an acceptance, immediately call the driver and tell them exactly where you are going. If they are not willing to take that long of a ride, YOU cancel immediately to protect both yourself and the driver. And then request again.

I'm not a fan of pre-scheduled rides...unless you already know the driver you're riding with. And at an airport, you can't really do them anyway because an electronic queue is used. There will be plenty of drivers there -- just do a regular request.
Thanks you! Maybe I will check out some other options.

I personally use Uber a lot when I travel by myself as a single female in my 30s and feel safe doing so. I always send a screenshot of my travel details (driver name, license plate etc. that is provided by Uber to those that I am meeting, or my husband if not meeting anyone) there are also a couple different ways using the Uber app for you to have people follow your trip in real time, I just got used to sending screenshots so I don't take advantage of those features. Uber offers information on their website of how to utilize these services. You can likely do the same things with Lyft, but I can't use the Lyft app on my phone for some unknown reason, so I am not as familiar with it. You should absolutely not do something that you are not comfortable with, I just wanted to share my experience as someone who uses Uber frequently as a solo female in a variety of different cities.

just wanted to echo this as I do pretty much the same thing. solo mid-20s lady, used Lyft four times (from and back to MCO, twice) over the last ten days. no problem at all. I also send the screenshot of my ride details to my partner once my ride's been accepted.

it sounds like you will have plenty of time to take an Uber/Lyft to AKV, then just get on a bus to AK for your ADR after luggage dump. Each time I rode to and from MCO, it was 30-40 min. I noticed they ALWAYS drove the speed limit or under (why are we going 45-50 on this 60mph highway?). But even accounting for "leisurely" paced driving, maybe 20 min at the baggage carousel, you should be at AKV by 12 PM.

So we may not get a driver that will accept a request to go from MCO to Clearwater? What if we request the ride in advance, like a couple of days?
Many drivers do not want to go that far, because of the time required, and because they most likely will have to drive all the way home without getting paid. So we recommended that riders call their driver (via the app) as soon as the request was accepted, to make sure they were OK with the long trip and, if not, to cancel and rerequest it before the cancellation fee kicked in.

Now that Uber is telling drivers that a trip is a long one before they accept it, that may not be necessary, as you know your assigned driver is amenable to long trips.

I don't know whether Uber is giving drivers an estimate of the trip length, or just saying it's longer than 45 minutes. MCO to Clearwater is almost a 2 hour drive, so it might still be a good idea to call the driver and tell them as soon as the match-up is made.

Lyft was experimenting with posting pre-scheduled long trips to drivers to sign up for in advance. I don't know whether they're doing that routinely now, and whether it includes trips originating at the airport. (Airports are special, because drivers are not allowed to wait at the pick up point, and rides are usually assigned by a FIFO queue.) But there are higher cancellation fees for prescheduled trips, and if your flight is late you might be a "no show" and get hit with the higher cancellation fee.

Last edited:

I don't know whether Uber is giving drivers an estimate of the trip length, or just saying it's longer than 45 minutes.
It just says "Long Trip 45+ minutes."

I'm sure there a LOT of places in the Orlando/WDW area that could be "45+ minute" drives, especially during peak traffic periods. So it's not a given that every driver who accepts a "Long Trip" ride request will actually agree to a really long ride.

But somebody will.

I noticed they ALWAYS drove the speed limit or under (why are we going 45-50 on this 60mph highway?).
Driving professionally teaches you pretty quickly to stay at or under the speed limit and be cautious with your following distance. When you drive in traffic 4+ hours a day, you see a lot of things and you see them happening very quickly.

I have a dashcam in my car, and DD15 is learning to drive. I pulled one of my Uber trip videos the other day to show her what happens when a tire blows on a pickup truck at expressway speeds. And fortunately, I was also able to show her how the pickup driver handled the blowout in textbook fashion.

Driving professionally teaches you pretty quickly to stay at or under the speed limit and be cautious with your following distance. When you drive in traffic 4+ hours a day, you see a lot of things and you see them happening very quickly.

I have a dashcam in my car, and DD15 is learning to drive. I pulled one of my Uber trip videos the other day to show her what happens when a tire blows on a pickup truck at expressway speeds. And fortunately, I was also able to show her how the pickup driver handled the blowout in textbook fashion.

That'd be fine if we were in heavy traffic, or any traffic at all. But each trip I was amazed at how there were practically no cars on the road (I live in a city with constant bumper-to-bumper slow traffic, OR fast-moving but also heavy number of cars on road), how we had tons of space everywhere except final turns into MCO, and we were still going 10-15 under speed limit, never mind the actual flow of traffic.

We're headed to WDW in a couple of weeks, staying at BWI, and are thinking that taking Uber/Lyft to Animal Kingdom, Magic Kingdom & Disney Springs might be the way to do things. We've never used either before, so we have some research to do. Any recommendations for one service over the other? Also, what's the average cost for something like BWI to MK?
Thanks!
We are staying at BWI right now
We never Uber/Lyft to MK now. We always use the bus. We did use a Minnie Van last night just because we wanted to try one and MK was the logical choice to give it a try
We are in a Lyft to AK right now. It's a great choice for going there

Just arrived. Cost was $9 for regular 4 seater. Without tip

Last edited:

We used Uber from MCO last Friday morning. Landed at 9:20. We were walking in our room at BWI by 10:00 AM

That'd be fine if we were in heavy traffic, or any traffic at all. But each trip I was amazed at how there were practically no cars on the road (I live in a city with constant bumper-to-bumper slow traffic, OR fast-moving but also heavy number of cars on road), how we had tons of space everywhere except final turns into MCO, and we were still going 10-15 under speed limit, never mind the actual flow of traffic.
Don't know what to tell you. Maybe rent a car and "Let 'er rip?"

Used Uber to get from my Disney hotel to the airport. Had a great conversation with the driver, who is a Disney cast member who drives for Uber on weekends. When I rated him (5 stars of course) there were options to choose from - maybe they were called comments? I chose something about great conversation. Would it have been better for him if I had chosen a different one? Or all of them - if that's even possible? Does that part help the drivers at all, or should I not bother?

Used Uber to get from my Disney hotel to the airport. Had a great conversation with the driver, who is a Disney cast member who drives for Uber on weekends. When I rated him (5 stars of course) there were options to choose from - maybe they were called comments? I chose something about great conversation. Would it have been better for him if I had chosen a different one? Or all of them - if that's even possible? Does that part help the drivers at all, or should I not bother?
You can choose any or all of them. I always pick the ones that are appropriate, which is usually all of them.

Just want to add we used Uber/Lyft multiple times during our trip. it was great and the cars came really quickly. Used Mears once to go from WDW to our resort in Universal and that was our worst experience. The credit card machine apparently broke when we arrived and we had to run into hotel lobby to get cash for driver. Easily our best Uber experience was our driver from Universal to MCO. A super nice guy, great conversation and a great price. I love the ease of using Lyft and Uber and that it's tied to my cc. I left generous tips and rated each driver highly.

At the end of an Uber ride, you have four options. The first is the driver rating.

First of all, understand that 5 stars is an "A" and 4 stars or less is an "F."

Four or fewer stars means there was something significantly wrong with the ride -- dirty car, careless or rude driver...something really wrong. If a driver maintains a 4.6 average for any period of time, they get fired. 4.6 = 92%, which is an A in school, but it equals termination for rideshare drivers with either company.

Once you do the rating, you have three more options: "badges," comments, and/or a tip. From a driver's perspective, guess which one we prefer? Right...tips.

Badges and comments are nice to get, but do not factor into the driver's rating or anything else. I do read every comment I get. The more specific the comment, the more helpful and appreciated it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter