GRAND OPENING - GRAND CLOSING (Florida)

They are ticketing offenders and/or letting criminals out of jail in many places in the US....that's not a deterrent either
Because stiff fines won’t stop everyone doesn’t mean it won’t stop many of them. Would you be willing to risk a $500 fine? I don’t know about you, but I tend to pay tickets when I get them to avoid a warrant for my arrest being issued. I don’t think I’m an outlier.

I got chicken pox at the beach as a teenager, and that isn't nearly as virulent as COVID.
I am guessing you weren’t wearing a mask and staying at least six feet away from everyone else at the beach, just like everyone else at the time, so it’s not surprising. But I get your point. Yes, the virus isn’t spread as easily outdoors, but if you spend your time outdoors without a mask sitting in a cluster of your BFFs, all it takes is one of them having it and you’re toast. I really don’t understand people who want to gather together for any reason and not do two simple things - mask and distance. You can have a July 4th BBQ, but mask and space. Air hugs instead of physical hugs. No tables, but lots of chairs all spread out. Use a little common sense.

I went on vacation the first two weeks of June. I stayed in a hotel, ate in restaurants a handful of times (and did takeout the rest of the time), and went shopping for non essential things. But, and this is a big but, I WORE A MASK AND OBEYED SOCIAL DISTANCING. In the restaurants, that mask was in place unless I was actively eating, not taken off for the duration of the time I was seated. Today is two weeks since I got home (and although I wasn’t required to, I quarantined two weeks as a precaution) and I am still healthy. My sister who I was visiting with is still healthy, and followed the same masks and distancing I did. Was it comfortable all the time? No. Was it fun to wear a mask in the Florida heat? No. Did I have a good time? Yes, I did. You can still have fun and be safe while you are doing it. I have a Disney reservation for the end of August and I hope it isn’t cancelled like the last two. If I am still healthy and WDW is open, I plan to be there, wearing a mask and avoiding everyone I can.

I hope everyone has a safe and healthy July 4th!

That's an easy fix for those parking in neighborhood streets. You do what they did in my city. They towed and ticketed every car parked in those streets. They also have been fining people for not social distancing with $880 tickets. People tend to follow rules it it costs them money
We have by-law officers monitoring the beaches and side streets. If you can't pay the fine there is always jail time.

All I do now is shake my head. I have mentioned many times what has been done where I live and it has worked. The response I usually get is that it wouldn't work here. Restaurants should be patios only and no theme parks open yet.
It’s not that easy. First, people live there, so banning parking on their streets hurts them as well. Second, we don’t have enough law enforcement officers to patrol that. The coastline for our county is 55 miles, with 17 miles of beaches. It’s a lot to patrol - so they are stuck really only being able to patrol the parking lots. Our Gov didn’t close our actual beaches and our county’s hands are tied on that. As state beaches, they don’t have the authority to close them. And they got completely blindsided by the order - they weren’t given any heads up it was coming and had no reason to believe they’d be included since we aren’t on the state’s watch list.

Lastly, jail time is not an option here. Our jails are already ovecrowded and they’re letting people out early. Also, they are a hot bed for transmission. It would be so much worse to put people in crowded cells indoors than allow access to the beaches. While it’s a prison and not a jail, read about what’s going on in San Quentin - it’s affecting the entire Bay Area and accounts for part of our hospitalizations despite it not being in my county.

But my bigger point earlier in this thread is it’s asinine to take away access to the beach, while continuing to leave our bars and indoor dining open. If anything should close, it should be the latter. (And I personally think opening bars at all was a dumb move).

It’s not that easy. First, people live there, so banning parking on their streets hurts them as well. Second, we don’t have enough law enforcement officers to patrol that. The coastline for our county is 55 miles, with 17 miles of beaches. It’s a lot to patrol - so they are stuck really only being able to patrol the parking lots. Our Gov didn’t close our actual beaches and our county’s hands are tied on that. As state beaches, they don’t have the authority to close them. And they got completely blindsided by the order - they weren’t given any heads up it was coming and had no reason to believe they’d be included since we aren’t on the state’s watch list.

Lastly, jail time is not an option here. Our jails are already ovecrowded and they’re letting people out early. Also, they are a hot bed for transmission. It would be so much worse to put people in crowded cells indoors than allow access to the beaches. While it’s a prison and not a jail, read about what’s going on in San Quentin - it’s affecting the entire Bay Area and accounts for part of our hospitalizations despite it not being in my county.

But my bigger point earlier in this thread is it’s asinine to take away access to the beach, while continuing to leave our bars and indoor dining open. If anything should close, it should be the latter. (And I personally think opening bars at all was a dumb move).
IMO if most states followed what has been done here the rise in cases probably wouldn't be so high. If bars and restaurants want to open only allow for patio seating.

IMO if most states followed what has been done here the rise in cases probably wouldn't be so high. If bars and restaurants want to open only allow for patio seating.
We are talking about beaches.

We know your stance. No indoor dining, no theme parks. There is a lot of would of, could of, should have. It’s too late to go back and change what has already happened. So continuing to post what should have happened, isn’t helpful at all. What do you gain by doing it? Most Americans admit this was done terribly. And most states are rectifying the best they can.

But I will remind you that CA is 2.5 times the size of Ontario. And that your death rate still far surpasses that of CA. And CA is the world’s 5th largest economy. We are the largest agricultural provider in the US. I am not saying CA got it all right - there is a lot I would have done differently, but I also realize hindsight is 20/20 and I don’t have all the information for decisions made. We tell you it’s not the same because it isn’t. You aren’t comparing two equal things!

And stop looking at the US as a whole based on FL, TX and AZ. Almost all of us agree they continue to mess it up.

We are talking about beaches.

We know your stance. No indoor dining, no theme parks. There is a lot of would of, could of, should have. It’s too late to go back and change what has already happened. So continuing to post what should have happened, isn’t helpful at all. What do you gain by doing it? Most Americans admit this was done terribly. And most states are rectifying the best they can.

But I will remind you that CA is 2.5 times the size of Ontario. And that your death rate still far surpasses that of CA. And CA is the world’s 5th largest economy. We are the largest agricultural provider in the US. I am not saying CA got it all right - there is a lot I would have done differently, but I also realize hindsight is 20/20 and I don’t have all the information for decisions made. We tell you it’s not the same because it isn’t. You aren’t comparing two equal things!

And stop looking at the US as a whole based on FL, TX and AZ. Almost all of us agree they continue to mess it up.
I agree with a lot of what you said. I'm from Canada and if there's anything I've learned from all this it's that everyone is in a different situation, and if you think you're in a good situation now who knows what it could look like tomorrow. Every single encounter I've ever had in the U.S. from NYC to Florida has been a positive one. I can't wait to go back *soon* when we are all on the other side of this.

Last edited:
And people will mingle this weekend....and we'll see what it looks like roughly 2 weeks from now.
The thing that scares the crap out of me is all the people I know traveling right now. This is not going to go well. I personally don’t care about holidays. I don’t get all the hype. I prefer to relax when I’m on vacation but obviously plenty people don’t agree. If people weren’t he’ll bent on vacationing right now this wouldn’t be so bad.

Because stiff fines won’t stop everyone doesn’t mean it won’t stop many of them. Would you be willing to risk a $500 fine? I don’t know about you, but I tend to pay tickets when I get them to avoid a warrant for my arrest being issued. I don’t think I’m an outlier.
I tend to respect laws. I’m a rule follower. Although the thought of living in a world as some describe is sad, disheartening and :upsi

9,488 new Florida COVID-19 cases today.
How many hospitized or deaths? Are either increasing? How about retesting positives? So many details in the real numbers but so little information splashed in the headlines.

Who thought we would eradicate a worldwide pandemic in a few months IF ever? It was ALWAYS about #FlatteningTheCurve!!! It will weaken,/disappear or we will acquire herd immunity or develope a vaccine and/or better treatments.

Last edited:
Where I live (in Central Florida) hospitalizations are going up
http://seminolegis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/b2c25af87b9e460281ab0f160129d6ab
EPICurve.jpg

I agree with a lot of what you said. I'm from Canada and if there's anything I've learned from all this it's that everyone is in a different situation, and if you think you're in a good situation now who knows what it could look like tomorrow. Ever single encounter I've ever had in the U.S. from NYC to Florida has been a positive one. I can't wait to go back *soon* when we are all on the other side of this.
I've said it on another thread, but there are a few posters from Canada (and even a few from the UK that I have seen, although not sure why) who seem to think that they are superior because of the outcomes in parts of Canada vs the US. I don't think that people in NB, NL, BC etc would give Ontario or Quebec any awards right now either, but I don't read them hammering on about what Ontario should have done.

The same holds true with the DACH countries - we are not being superior that we 'won' in Europe, and that others did not have as positive outcomes. What did we do? We took patients in from Italy, and from the Netherlands, and provided care when we had excess beds and resources. We developed tests early, and used our pharma resources to work on a vaccine. We drove the economic recovery plan for Europe. We look to the US with empathy and hope for them to heal soon as we need them, just like they need us to be a partner.

The general feeling in the media, and amongst citizens, seems to be 'there but for the grace....' and a sense of needing to find a balance to keep ahead of the virus whilst restoring normal life. There isn't a sense of superiority, or of victory, over other nations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter