GRAND OPENING - GRAND CLOSING (Florida)

What concerns me is people traveling to Disney and catching it. Then bringing it back home and it starts all over again. There is a reason some states are asking people to quarantine upon return from Florida. Its pretty much saying to vacation in your own state for now.

Our state was doing very well. We were doing fairly well contact tracing and discovered a huge number of new cases had been to Myrtle Beach for vacation! >:(

DH picked up our Walmart Grocery pickup order today. 9 items were out of stock & 4 were substituted. It had gotten to where most things were in stock. I hope people aren't panicking & overbuying again.
It may not be overbuying but rather stocking up. I am. I think this fall and winter are not going to be good since this appears to be running amok.

The overbuying/stocking up happened to us (NYC) in March/April, and has just really leveled off in the past month.
Yes we also had it here in MA then. That is why I am slowly stocking up again. Supplies have leveled off and some things are available now that weren’t. I think we will see another run on items as cases worsen across the country.

The overbuying/stocking up happened to us (NYC) in March/April, and has just really leveled off in the past month.
I was finally able to buy TP from Costco a couple weeks ago. We were working on our last package from our pre-Covid stash so I was very happy to see it back in stock. It had been *months* because of hoarders.

I agree...my point was that it is NOT just Red Governors who are seeing rising cases.
True. Our governor put rules in place to shelter in place but the the state legislature sued successfully (all the way to the state Supreme Court) to lift all of his rules back in May. There are no state-wide directives because of the threat of another lawsuit. My state has the 2nd highest Rt in the US right now.

It may not be overbuying but rather stocking up. I am. I think this fall and winter are not going to be good since this appears to be running amok.
Absolutely. In January I started buying 1x extra of all the basics every time I went shopping. I didnt panic buy and fill my trolly with the contents of shelves. Just 1x extra each trip. It worked.

Iv started doing the same again in the last couple of weeks.

I recently rewatched the film Restoration. There is a scene where Robert Downey Jr.'s character rips down boarded up doors and separates the well from the sick. Healthy and infected individuals were being forced to quarantine together. It gave me a a bit of a chill.

Our state was doing very well. We were doing fairly well contact tracing and discovered a huge number of new cases had been to Myrtle Beach for vacation! >:(
Hopefully they were able to contact trace those cases! We were suppose to leave for our Disney trip tomorrow, but I can't even be sad - just really hoping everything works out in Florida and it's dealt with well from this point on. I feel so bad for everyone going through this. Really glad it hasn't hit us too hard yet (hoping it doesn't but who knows). We opened borders the other day for the first time since March to other provinces with few to no cases. I'm happy about it but worry about it at the same time because travel is what is could spread it around again.

Hopefully they were able to contact trace those cases! We were suppose to leave for our Disney trip tomorrow, but I can't even be sad - just really hoping everything works out in Florida and it's dealt with well from this point on. I feel so bad for everyone going through this. Really glad it hasn't hit us too hard yet (hoping it doesn't but who knows). We opened borders the other day for the first time since March to other provinces with few to no cases. I'm happy about it but worry about it at the same time because travel is what is could spread it around again.

They were able to and now anyone traveling there is supposed to quarantine for 2 weeks when they get back. Unfortunately, most people don't even bother to check into that either before or after they travel. My own husband didn't even know about the necessity and he's been sitting here with me for months!

We just had a contractor here on Monday morning. My husband is outside with this man and the guy tells him that he's just come back from Myrtle Beach. My husband relays that info to me after the man has left and I just about flipped. My husband didn't even know and I'm sure he saw the same news report I did.

It is surreal days that we are living in, for sure. My youngest daughter lives by herself in Florida and is in close contact with people in her job. I think about her everyday and just hope if she gets sick, it will be a mild case for her. I hate to think about her being alone and having to rely on friends because she's only been there about 1 1/2 years.

I hope your area can stay safe upon opening. If it makes some people happy, I'm for that, but I want them to try to keep all people safe. I get a little angry when people say if you're afraid, stay home. Why can't the people that don't want to make the effort to practice the safety protocols be the ones to stay home?

We went through this in March & April too. It appeared to be leveling off, with the exception of a few of the illusive items that were still very hard or impossible to get. I hope we're not going there again, but it appears so.

Random question: Have any of you in South Florida had a hard time finding brats? We've tried 3 stores over the past few days & can't find any kind.

Random question: Have any of you in South Florida had a hard time finding brats? We've tried 3 stores over the past few days & can't find any kind.

I'm sorry. I don't live in South Florida, but it's the same here. I guess those meat-packing places have so many cases of coronavirus that they haven't been able to make sausages in weeks.

We did find some at Costco once, but we did not care for them. We prefer Johnsonville.

Sorry I couldn't help but I do feel your pain.

I'm sorry. I don't live in South Florida, but it's the same here. I guess those meat-packing places have so many cases of coronavirus that they haven't been able to make sausages in weeks.

We did find some at Costco once, but we did not care for them. We prefer Johnsonville.

Sorry I couldn't help but I do feel your pain.
You did help. Now I know it's not just us. :teeth:

Absolutely. In January I started buying 1x extra of all the basics every time I went shopping. I didnt panic buy and fill my trolly with the contents of shelves. Just 1x extra each trip. It worked.

Iv started doing the same again in the last couple of weeks.
Same here. I’ll pick up TP, paper towels, or Kleenex each time now I do curbside grocery pickup. Went into Target last week and bought some Tylenol, hand soap, and two bottles of hand sanitizer. I am worried what fall will look like.

It’s telling that the day WDW opens up reservations they’re forced to issue a 40% off AP discount. It tells you their bookings must be awful when you consider the capacity limits they’ve set. Unfortunately, a good sale doesn’t change the conditions. One thing that discount does confirm for me, is what a terrible deal I was given when they moved my YC CL reservation to the Riviera. Just to see, I looked at rates for the Riviera and for my dates, I would pay much less for a reservation at the Riviera now than what I had paid for the YC, CL. Disney was pretty confident just a few weeks ago I guess, not so anymore.

It also shows you what a lot of us have been saying, they can open their doors if they want, but it doesn’t mean enough people are foolish enough to travel that they’ll be profitable doing it.

Last edited:
It’s telling that the day WDW opens up reservations they’re forced to issue a 40% off AP discount. It tells you their bookings must be awful when you consider the capacity limits they’ve set. Unfortunately, a good sale doesn’t change the conditions. One thing that discount does confirm for me, is what a terrible deal I was given when they moved my YC CL reservation to the Riviera. Just to see, I looked at rates for the Riviera and for my dates, I would pay much less for a reservation at the Riviera now than what I had paid for the YC, CL. Disney was pretty confident just a few weeks ago I guess, not so anymore.

It also shows you what a lot of us have been saying, they can open their doors if they want, but it doesn’t mean enough people are foolish enough to travel that they’ll be profitable doing it.
Having to offer a 40% discount when they're only at 20-30% capacity to start with is not good, though I'm glad to see most people are smart enough to stay away.

Having to offer a 40% discount when they're only at 20-30% capacity to start with is not good, though I'm glad to see most people are smart enough to stay away.
Disneyland Paris also has a 20% discount on one-day tickets for the summer. It's really hard to say what the crowds will look like this summer. On one hand, they are only letting in a small percentage of their normal crowds, but then again, they do think they don't have the fanbase who is willing to go.

I wonder what percentage of people with AP live out of state? I'm thinking it's not that high.

What bothers me, also, is that with this discount a lot of people from Miami, where they have a large number of restrictions, hold APs and now are thinking, lets go to WDW, and potentially bringing the virus to the very place no one wants it.

I really hope WDW doesn't have any issues with opening, but my logical mind says there is no way they are going to get by unscathed. The only thing going for them is that there is virtually zero contact tracing being done in FL. I feel the most sorry for the CMs that will be exposed and have to deal with this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter