Harvey Weinstein

Are you talking about Weinstein here? Does he get that luxury too?
I don't follow the Hollywood hypocrites as blindly as others do.

Are you talking about the hollywood hypocrites that were born and raised in Iowa, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Nebraska, or some other state?

(It has been noted that Tina Fey has used Weinstein's reputation as joke fodder before. There were two different jokes about him on 30 Rock over the years. Was she wrong to joke about it and not say something outright? Maybe, but sometimes humor is a good way to make people see something in a way that they hadn't considered before, without the defensiveness that often results from a bald challenge.)

I know for a fact that Tina Fey and some of the other comedy writers use comedy as a platform to bring people's attention to things. They discuss it in interviews- it is not a secret. As you say, comedy can be a tool. I guess not everyone understands that? For so many things in life there's never a good time to bring them up. If you get people thinking, there's a potential for reflection and examination.

Are you talking about Weinstein here? Does he get that luxury too?

I don't follow the Hollywood hypocrites as blindly as others do.

Can you point out to me what I said about Weinstein? I don't seem to remember referencing him at all, in any way. I believe my comments suggested the approach of allowing those with actual evidence and involvement to have their say and take action as they will -- that seems fair to those involved. What does not seem fair is for me, you or anyone else who doesn't have personal knowledge of these allegations to cast aspersions based on news stories, rumor, social media chatter or anything else. Accounts suggest several people have come forward with allegations against Mr. Weinstein. Accounts also suggest Mr. Weinstein has made a statement(s) agreeing that he engaged in some inappropriate behavior.

As for what should happen going forward, I have no idea. I am not particularly worried for Mr. Weinstein on a legal front, as I know he is financially able to hire an army of lawyers. I am also aware that when victims of sexual assault or harassment take their allegations into the legal arena from the criminal perspective the accused is afforded the use of the law as a shield, where the accuser is forced to undergo what essentially amounts to a public biopsy with every foible and blemish in their lifetime subject to scrutiny under a microscope.

Who's following Hollywood hypocrites blindly? Is that directed at me, or a tangential comment?

I had no clue one could be PMed on the disboards and have no ability to respond. How very strange. No sarcasm.

So Hikergirl -

No, you did not make me upset at all originally. So even though "you aren't going to apologize" there is and was no need to apologize for anything. Merely educating. No, I do not have issues. But thanks for the compassionate concern behind the scenes. No, I did not assume - not for one minute - anything about anyone's life/past. Why would I? In general terms I mean and especially with the statistics out there. Was merely adding knowledge coming from mine.

Last edited:

It's really difficult to speak out against abuse, period. It's hard enough to get away when it's happening, much less let people know that it happened.

There is still a huge stigma around women speaking up against this kind of thing. People question how they were dressed, the situations they put themselves in, the substances they may or may not have been using, that they may be trying to get money or attention, why now and not then, etc. etc.

Statistically speaking most women are sexually harassed at some point in their lives. I know I didn't tell anyone. There are a lot of reasons not to speak up, and many reasons to stay silent. That's why I seeing a community around this kind of thing is so encouraging. If more people spoke up and stood together it would happen less and less. The judgment and isolation is not beneficial to anyone. This is one of those areas where I feel like we are seeing history happen.

The stigma isn't only smothering to female victims. Male victims of sexual assault face unbelievably hideous backlash, and an almost insurmountable ability to find those willing to accept it can happen to them.

Statistically speaking most women are sexually harassed at some point in their lives. I know I didn't tell anyone. There are a lot of reasons not to speak up, and many reasons to stay silent. That's why I seeing a community around this kind of thing is so encouraging. If more people spoke up and stood together it would happen less and less. The judgment and isolation is not beneficial to anyone. This is one of those areas where I feel like we are seeing history happen.

We are seeing history happen. For sure.

The stigma isn't only smothering to female victims. Male victims of sexual assault face unbelievably hideous backlash, and an almost insurmountable ability to find those willing to accept it can happen to them.

I work with victims of domestic violence (volunteer only, I can't claim professional info). Even under that umbrella, the number of resources available for men is laughable. I try to get out services expanded at least at our quarterly meetings...nope.

The stigma isn't only smothering to female victims. Male victims of sexual assault face unbelievably hideous backlash,

Yes. Sadly. I actually went back to edit my pronouns in my post.

There is still a huge stigma around women speaking up against this kind of thing. People question how they were dressed

Speaking of which did anyone catch Donna Karan's words about it all? My mouth was wide open in awe. Can't believe it is 2017 with words like that.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/oct/10/donna-karan-defends-harvey-weinstein-women

She has since apologized and said that she was taken out of context. But it rings hollow.

Are you talking about the hollywood hypocrites that were born and raised in Iowa, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Nebraska, or some other state?

I have no idea where they were born, but I'm guessing they weren't all born in Hollywood so yes that is who I am talking about.

From what I read after her encounter Anjolina Jolie refused to work with him and warned other actresses what happened to her. Keep in mind we really don't know the extent that happened to her so speaking out and saying something publicaly when a crime might not have been comitted to her might be close to slander. She's like she took appropriate steps.

I said in my pp that I have no idea if they have spoken out about it before (I meant publicly).

I had no clue one could be PMed on the disboards and have no ability to respond. How very strange. No sarcasm.

So Hikergirl -

No, you did not make me upset at all originally. So even though "you aren't going to apologize". there is and was no need to apologize for anything. Merely educating. No, I do not have issues. But thanks for the compassionate concern. No, I did not assume - not for one minute - anything about your past.

Well lets just leave it at this, there is no need for you to educate me just because I have a different opinion than you. Just because someone has a different view doesn't mean they don't share the same knowledge.

Bottom line is this, this guy is a pig. He harrassed and allegedly raped women for over 30 years. It seems that this was known by many in Hollywood, yet very few spoke out. I'm sure his young victims were afraid of what that could mean for them, but what about everyone else? What about the few young women who grew up, turned into extremely successful women in the industry, and beyond that. Those same women who had no problem speaking out about other experiences they had, or speaking out about protecting others from that same kind of abuse they went through? HW was protected for 30 years, he was allowed to continue this behavior and leave behind a long list of victims. It could have been stopped way before now, by any number of people. Some did try a long time ago, (Rose Mcgowen) but nobody backed her up. You may not have questions about that, and that is OK. I do question it, but apparently that isn't OK.

there is no need for you to educate me

Oh man, I was giving valuable added information to the way you were thinking about it Hikergirl. Trying to show you that she might have valid reasons why she didn't speak out at the time, that you weren't thinking about. Or possibly not privy to even realizing (Of course I don't know, once again how could I?) That's all. I hear you that you don't think it's a possibility. Who knows if Ashley Judd's past history of abuse even impacted her choices. It might not have at all. Or she might have spoken out and gotten nowhere and we aren't aware. I am wondering if anything in my post might have translated as people should not speak out. If so, I do not remotely feel that way.

But it wasn't just about you anyway. If you thought that post was merely in response to you, it wasn't Hikergirl. I wouldn't write out such personal insight directly to a poster because I was arguing a point. On a message board.

Sometimes there are moments for me to share my background and insight. I do not do it lightly but I am not remotely ashamed, or uncomfortable, to do so. Yes it takes some vulnerability for sure. And balls. :goodvibes But I see it as beyond me and beyond my story. It helps people understand others. Or so I hope.

Last edited:
Fame and fortune rule with both men and women actors in Allen's situation. Good for the few that stand up vocally against him though.

I loved Woody Allen. His writing. His movies.

It does make me uncomfortable when many seem so blessed to work with him. Actually speak about the emotions of it all. In those moments I do wonder how Ronan's sister feels.

I loved Woody Allen. His writing. His movies. It does make me uncomfortable when many seem so blessed to work with him. Actually speak about the emotions of it all. In those moments I do wonder how Ronan's sister feels. QUOTE]

If you read the article Ronan Farrow spells out exactly how his sister feels. It's heartbreaking.

Sorry, I tried to edit this 4 times and my response still ends up in your quote. grr

Last edited:
All I have to say is "Roman Polanski." There's an actual conviction of child rape there, and Hollywood people still defend him because he's so talented.
Let's not forget about Victor Salva who was convicted of molesting a 12 year old boy. After he was released from prison guess who hired him to direct Powder. Non other then Disney studios. The movie industry is one big cesspool of corruption. Hopefully all the skeletons come out of closet. The thing that shocks me the most is that people are shocked by this. If you only read mainstream media where everything is swept under the rug I guess it's understandable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter