Hurricane Irma?

My power's already beginning to flicker and things haven't gotten that bad here yet (we regularly lose power during standard Florida thunderstorms), so I've booked a room at All-Star Music starting tomorrow for a few nights so I can hopefully sleep in air-conditioning.

I go back to work on Tuesday morning to start my upcoming 55 hour work week.. I'm not fit to help guests if I don't sleep at least 7 hours a night.

I just saw that the storm's weakened a bit, so that's something. I found out that a friend in Tampa who lives in a flood-prone area couldn't evacuate because she takes care of her disabled parents and they were simply unable to leave, so I'm quite worried about them now.
I don't blame you one bit. Smart to make plans for a cool place to stay. The lack of A/C would be a huge deal to me.

Good luck with it! I'm glad you got a room. :)

You know, after posting elsewhere that they are battery powered, I had the same thought. If they have to talk to another computer, it's definitely possible to lose access. :/
IT person here. I've dealt with many types of door access systems. Generally, how it works is your card (or magicband) is "stored" on the local door controller for that hallway/zone, etc. So, it doesn't have to reach out to the server or third party system to "verify" access. Granted, I'm not entirely sure how the MB works but that is the general principle. Batteries typically hold for several hours but sometimes network rooms and other IT infastructure is backed by generator.

The locks are battery operated but I don't know if they are self contained. Does the lock have to talk to the access computer via WiFi each time that the lock senses a ID device or only when the front desk updates the lock?

:earsboy: Bill
It updates from the front desk, it will only lose the ability to send computer who is accessing room at any given time.

All I can say is that I cancelled my trip and now all I am reading about on the resort board is how everyone is having a fabulous time at our hotel (the Poly) and how empty the parks were yesterday and how the pools were even open this morning.

Ugh.

As someone who didn't cancel their trip and is thrilled that I didn't, who can blame you? People said this would make Katrina look like child's play. People on this thread were talking about sponge baths and getting multiple likes for it...

I suppose I worry a little less about this, because I assume that when making choices about something important like what to do wrt a hurricane, people consult more than DIS!

I take the word of folks on here about ADRs and such, but not about a hurricane!

What concerns me more is when media outlets tell people to stay inside, and yet parade their correspondents into the eye of a hurricane for ratings. That seems pretty irresponsible to me, personally.

Yup. Pretty ridiculous to me, personally.

They are people who may/were reading here who might not be used to message boards, perhaps a bit innocent and are not aware of how people can "be" when they post. I'm sure you know what I mean! :)

Of course people should be concerned, etc. But it went over the top here.

But there are people on this board/thread who take pleasure in spreading negativity and seem to enjoy other people's misery. Maybe you and I know to ignore them, but others may not.

My daughter is happy.
Gwinnett County in Georgia cancelled school for tomorrow. They didn't say a thing about Tuesday but that is par for the course with this county. Everything is last minute with them.

No assessment from Key West yet. No storm surge yet. And it hasn't hit Orlando yet.

3 million people in the state are without power and this isn't over.

I was actually coming to ask if anyone had any verified information (so yes, I mean "real" news outlets, not random Facebook videos) about the situation in the Keys. All I could find was a video on CNN of reporters driving through some aftermath, but it seemed like it was Key Largo (very far from Key West).

I'm still trying to watch TWC but the sound of wind over the mics is really starting to grate.

To those of you who think it's time to start adding up accounts and deciding who was right or wrong in the debates about whatever, I suggest you wait until tomorrow.

Yes, the pools were open but this isn't swimming weather. This isn't "having a fabulous time," this is "making the best of a bad situation." I promise :)

Are you here, I'm honesty asking? Because I saw plenty of people having a good time swimming this morning. I've seen kids having a great time getting their face painted, dancing with Goofy, playing games.

All I can say is that I cancelled my trip and now all I am reading about on the resort board is how everyone is having a fabulous time at our hotel (the Poly) and how empty the parks were yesterday and how the pools were even open this morning.

Ugh.

I left early but so far I don't really regret doing that, certainly saved me a lot of worry over the last couple of days compared to staying and riding out the hurricane - plus if I was there I wouldn't be able to go to the parks or go shopping for the last couple of days of my trip!

A Hurricane is not something that you mess with. Between wind, flooding, surge, and tornadoes it is a very dangerous situation no matter the level. They can also be very unpredictable, changing direction and strength quickly and without much, if any, warning. It is always better to be sure people are prepared for the worst that can happen. That is not fear mongering in my opinion. That is being realistic. The storm direction had changed from predictions time and time again, including just today. If it had stayed moving even a bit more west, it would have kept the strength and maybe even gotten worse. Is it not best to make sure people know what those outcomes could be if it were to happen? Is it not better to make sure all are ready?

Wonder what the backlash would have been if people hadn't been told what could happen, didn't prepare, and then we did have a worst case?

Ok, is Cantore trying to one-up the guy from Naples? I usually don't bother with judging storm chasers or news anchors (their life, not mine) but there is NO reason for him to be way out in that parking lot.

I was actually coming to ask if anyone had any verified information (so yes, I mean "real" news outlets, not random Facebook videos) about the situation in the Keys. All I could find was a video on CNN of reporters driving through some aftermath, but it seemed like it was Key Largo (very far from Key West).

I'm still trying to watch TWC but the sound of wind over the mics is really starting to grate.

To those of you who think it's time to start adding up accounts and deciding who was right or wrong in the debates about whatever, I suggest you wait until tomorrow.

I've heard power is a problem (obviously) and low water pressure? Not sure what that means.

It's not like we can understand half of what he's saying!

At this point I do wish they'd check in with other anchors/other areas. I understand landfall is big news, but we can't hear him and other areas are being affected too.

Randomly: standing there in 80-100 mph like he is for so long must burn an insane amount of calories, bet he's gonna have a huge dinner. It looks exhausting, like swimming a marathon.
I have to laugh because my mom made the remark that "That dummy should go inside! Half the state doesn't have power and can't see him anyway" LOL.

Oh wow, Closed Captioning works on TWC within the DirecTV app. (I grudgingly paid for a month of DirecTV Now with a 50% off code so I could watch some storm coverage, got tired of internet streams.) I am free from the irritating microphone static.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter