Hurricane Irma?

Also this hurricane is not over yet. Images are only just coming in from the Florida Keys and who knows what destruction has been left behind. Who knows what destruction she will still cause. With hurricanes you prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I grew up in the Caribbean, my family is still there, most of my country (not all) was thankfully spared. But so many in the Caribbean have lost so much. Have a little perspective and be thankful you haven't lost your home, business or a loved one.

There is a lot of rotation in the lines on the East coast, many of which are moving in a North to North West direction. Which is pointing them very close to the Orlando area. You are 100% correct. This is not over. The damage and danger to life are not over yet. People see that the hurricane is being downgraded due to lowering sustained wind speeds and WAY too many are forgetting about the other aspects of this weather system. No one should be putting down their guard yet.

All I can say is that I cancelled my trip and now all I am reading about on the resort board is how everyone is having a fabulous time at our hotel (the Poly) and how empty the parks were yesterday and how the pools were even open this morning.

Ugh.
..... Then you should've stuck with your trip

Pay for the hotel, travel, tickets, and then be stuck in the hotel. I see they do have characters out greeting people, the arcades are free....If that is what you wanted your Disney trip to be then you shouldn't of cancelled

Of course the parks were empty yesterday, people were evacuating or out grabbing supplies. Why would the pools be closed yesterday... The storm isn't heading toward the way until tomorrow.

All I can say is that I cancelled my trip and now all I am reading about on the resort board is how everyone is having a fabulous time at our hotel (the Poly) and how empty the parks were yesterday and how the pools were even open this morning.

Ugh.

You made the right decision based on the info you had. Tons of people cancelled. Don't feel bad. I get it though, all morning I was watching the parties at the AKL, CR and Poly. Looked like a lot of fun, with dancing, crafts etc. I also heard how empty the parks were yesterday, but that was to be expected with all the people leaving and canceling. Just think of all the fun you will have on your re-scheduled trip!

I'm sure people there now are making the best of it, and the kids are probably having a great time, it seems like the Cast Members are doing everything they can to keep everyone entertained.

But for most people, they would rather reschedule and actually have a normal Disney trip; one with the parks open, and regular dining...and without a hurricane a few miles away.

My husband is at one of the resorts managing a Ride Out crew and he's dealt with unhappy guests all day, so apparently not everyone is making the most of it. So I applaud those who are!

It's a Disney message board. She feels sad her trip was cancelled. It's fine. It's not taking anything away from the concern for others.

It may be a Disney board, but there are people who live in Florida who are a part of these boards. This person is making these type of comments before the storm is even over. I take issue with how it was said and when it was said. At least wait and see how Orlando and the rest of Florida make out before such comments. As I said this hurricane is not over yet.

It may be a Disney board, but there are people who live in Florida who are a part of these boards. This person is making these type of comments before the storm is even over. I take issue with how it was said and when it was said. At least wait and see how Orlando and the rest of Florida make out before such comments. As I said this hurricane is not over yet.

Fine. I disagree with you. :)

Last edited:
Amen. During Katrina I heard some of the worst garbage from the national news people.
Example: Someone was talking about the streetcar on St. Charles Avenue being out of service and referred to it as "The streetcar named Desire".

Duh - That was a Tennessee Williams play. There once was a Desire Streetcar, but it stopped running in the 1940s.

Too many uninformed idiots with mouths running.

Lots of people say really stupid things about New Orleans, whether there is a hurricane or not.

I'm not going to comment on our power for fear of jinxing things, but the wind and rain have really picked up. One of my small palm trees got ripped out of the ground and went flying over the wall into the road.

Also, I've eaten about 90% of my hurricane snacks, and probably put on about 10lbs.

Are you here, I'm honesty asking? Because I saw plenty of people having a good time swimming this morning. I've seen kids having a great time getting their face painted, dancing with Goofy, playing games.

Yes - Pop Century, bldg 1. It was high 70s & drizzly this AM - not picture-perfect swimming weather - and while people are enjoying themselves, I highly doubt this was the Disney Parks getaway they'd envisioned.

Yesterday AM at the parks? Yes, that was time-of-your-life stuff. But this morning? No. It's not bad, but it's not something to regret cancelling over.

I'm not going to comment on our power for fear of jinxing things, but the wind and rain have really picked up. One of my small palm trees got ripped out of the ground and went flying over the wall into the road.

Also, I've eaten about 90% of my hurricane snacks, and probably put on about 10lbs.

PUT DOWN THE SNACKS!!! ;)

I'm sure it's scary. Tornado sirens go off here in Chicago I always get nervous and I know we have a slim to none chance of ever having one!

Stay safe. :)

Stress eating is like a sport during hurricanes lol

I agree, the worse hasn't even hit Orlando yet. I've been watching the TV coverage all afternoon, it looks scary. I know it will not be as strong when the worse hits Orlando but it's nothing to be casual about. I would have cancelled.

People can be sad about their trips even while other bad things are happening in the world. Just like people in Florida are allowed to be worried and sad about the storm even though they are unlikely to get it as badly as Barbuda or St Maarten.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter