Hurricane Irma?

While I'm not interested in shaming anyone for any choices they made or may make, I do have to agree that Orlando hasn't seen the worst of the storm yet. That said, I don't expect they'll get much but minor localized issues and maybe some tornados. (I lived in Orlando in 2004, when central FL got three hurricanes in one season. We lost power once and some trees were uprooted east of my apartment downtown.)

Just an update, our Frontier flight that re-scheduled from Saturday at 5:20pm to Tuesday at 7:30am was actually cancelled. I freaked out, but was able to get my party of 4 on the Tuesday 5:20pm flight. Frontier said this plane is coming from Denver. Really hoping this flight comes in and we can get home Tuesday!

Just an update, our Frontier flight that re-scheduled from Saturday at 5:20pm to Tuesday at 7:30am was actually cancelled. I freaked out, but was able to get my party of 4 on the Tuesday 5:20pm flight. Frontier said this plane is coming from Denver. Really hoping this flight comes in and we can get home Tuesday!
I'm in the same boat as you 7:30 am flight with SW was cancelled we got 3pm flight now here's hoping we both make it.

Taking a quick internet break. We're just about to go into curfew and the weather is getting rougher. According to the sites I've checked, we should get the worst of the weather between 10pm and 2am. Hoping I can just sleep through it. I am still hoping to be able to check into Pop on Tuesday because I want to, not because I have to. Stay safe everyone! :grouphug:

I don't know what "Orlando Jetport" is, weather station or something? But apparently it just had a 89mph gust (per TWC).

Taking a quick internet break. We're just about to go into curfew and the weather is getting rougher. According to the sites I've checked, we should get the worst of the weather between 10pm and 2am. Hoping I can just sleep through it. I am still hoping to be able to check into Pop on Tuesday because I want to, not because I have to. Stay safe everyone! :grouphug:
I'm supposed to check in to pop Tuesday also

We keep getting huge gusts of wind where my palm trees look like they're hanging on by the skin of their teeth, then it calms down. We're waiting to see how our power makes out, but rooms are opening up at the resorts at this point, so if the power goes out we'll be at Disney tomorrow night!

But I've never heard of an animal controlling their excretions in a home (or a hotel!) because their owners can't take them out. Very interesting.

My cats have an incredible ability to hold it in for very long periods when stressed!! They barely touch their food and water. And if they get in a squabble with each other, they have been known to excrete suddenly and explosively.

Will there be Red Cross collecting donations at MCO? I assume the airport would flag and remove unauthorized or fake charities. I'd love to donate any unused US cash I bring, but I'm worried about "fake" charities.

You could look into donating to the local food bank. That is always a great bet. If you see someone collecting cash, do a quick search for the organization on Charity Navigator. The Red Cross has been very problematic in international responses BUT people very familiar with emergency operations in the US say to donate anyway. They are problematic but at least domestically they are the only ones staffed and ready to coordinate large scale aid in disaster situations in the US. Give to them and criticize their failures at the same time.

I agree that it is not necessarily fear mongering to be realistic about the damage a hurricane can do. I get nervous when I see people who are not taking the storm seriously.
I think everyone is relieved that the storm is weakening, but it might have turned out a different way. There were people on this thread who were quite sure that the hurricane was going to go up the eastern coast. It hasn't even passed over Orlando yet so we still don't know exactly what damage it may cause.

ABSOLUTELY. It is completely possible to make the RIGHT call and end up wrong. Nate Silver's book The Signal and The Noise and Daniel Kahnemann's book Thinking Fast and Slow are amazing reads for people interested in how statistical thinking/decision making is so challenging for our brains.

All I can say is that I cancelled my trip and now all I am reading about on the resort board is how everyone is having a fabulous time at our hotel (the Poly) and how empty the parks were yesterday and how the pools were even open this morning.

Ugh.
Don’t second guess yourself hope you were able to reschedule ... but really would you want to be stuck in a hotel room instead of being at the parks on the two days they are closed ?

I just think it's inappropriate and disrespectful to make such comments when Floridians and others are still enduring and will endure hurricane Irma. At least have the decency to wait and see how Orlando and Florida make out before making such comments. Saying how everyone is having a fabulous time at the Resorts and using UGH doesn't express sadness or empathy. I highly doubt many Floridians are having a fabulous time during Irma. There will be a time to make these types of comments, but now its not the time.

Just because people are having fun at resorts, or people are sad their vacations were cancelled, or people have anxiety over whether they will be able to go or not does not mean they don't have empathy or concern for Floridians who will be affected by Irma. Should the people at the Disney resorts all be moping around and NOT having fun because not everyone can?

My vacation was cut short by Irma (left after 2 days with 4 to go.) It took us 29 hours to drive home. I am sad about it.

I am also very, very concerned about my many family members and friends who live in coastal FL and even coastal Carolina. And for anyone else who will be affected. This is life or death stuff. You can come away with everything or nothing.

It doesn't mean that I can't be upset that the vacation I spent months planning to celebrate my son's first birthday didn't go as planned and was cut short. Was it a life altering issue for me? No. Life goes on. We'll go back someday. But I am still allowed to be disappointed about what happened while showing grave concern for all who will be seriously affected.

Judging who is decent and who is not is completely uncalled for.

Oh I will be so annoyed with Southwest if they reinstate the tuesday flights in Atlanta. That was when my 2nd flight re-schedule was originally booked for and then cancelled. I'll keep an eye out and see if I can rebook then since I've been unable to cancel my DVC reservation for Tuesday night yet.

Atlanta is looking to get hit. I wouldn't drive through a tropical storm - you can't see well and you have no idea what could be blowing your way. Add in the gas selling out in many places problem too.
Saw the last update moved most of N. GA and Atlanta out of the area of danger. Wonder of your schools are changing their minds now?
Hopefully, it bodes well for flights too. I think we've moved totally out of the woods. Granted, when we did our grocery run today we added extra ice and planned meals for our week that can go on the grill. Then we got home and saw the forecast shifted everything away from us.

Funniest thing was to read the vitriol over our schools NOT closing. You'd think they were sending our kids to school in the middle of a CAT5 hurricane. How dare they send our kids when it might be high winds or rain as they head home. Granted, every single one of those posters would have also complained had they called off schools when we weren't certain what our forecast was going to be. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I've been watching various channels and I don't think people understand that if they don't stress what CAN happen then people will not get out.
Exactly. And as others have said, we have test pilots and other extreme sport fans. These guys are just in that same category. They are there because they want to be.

Why does he have body armor on. No one else does.
He's the most dramatic of the bunch, there's no doubt about that.

I just think it's inappropriate and disrespectful to make such comments when Floridians and others are still enduring and will endure hurricane Irma. At least have the decency to wait and see how Orlando and Florida make out before making such comments. Saying how everyone is having a fabulous time at the Resorts and using UGH doesn't express sadness or empathy. I highly doubt many Floridians are having a fabulous time during Irma. There will be a time to make these types of comments, but now its not the time.
Just a guess but if someone in FL is so upset about the situation with Irma maybe the Disney message board isn't the place to be posting

Sorry to post again so quickly but while I was typing the above missive I received an alert and thought I'd share with you. I work for a very large entity in Atlanta. All of our Atlanta area locations are closed tomorrow. Employees will be teleworking.

I'm in Atlanta too. Most school closes tomorrow. Nothing happening where I am yet.

I just peeked at the "people currently on-site" thread, and I'm afraid to ask this there. Are dogs allowed in Disney resorts now or is it just that everyone has "service" animals now? I might have misunderstood some posts.

I just peeked at the "people currently on-site" thread, and I'm afraid to ask this there. Are dogs allowed in Disney resorts now or is it just that everyone has "service" animals now? I might have misunderstood some posts.

Disney changed their policy for the hurricane. People can bring their pets. And it's not just dogs! There's been lizards, cats, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter