I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went in to Target to let the Littles choose their candy heart and came home with Reese's Eggs! Target was all out of Valentine hearts and most everything else valentine, but I got my peanut butter eggs so all is good.

I usually get the kids a little something, but other than that we don't really do Valentine's day. Two years ago we somehow started a new tradition when I forgot to get them something and just took them to pick it out. Now they insist each year.
I may have to steal this idea next year. I get the kids something small too, but Valentine's cards at school have gotten out of control. This year, DD6 asked if she was getting something for Vday, and I wanted to answer "yes, my assistance assembling 60 (!) Valentine's cards for school and after-school care parties." But of course I didn't say that. Add in DD3's 20 cards and I am seriously over this holiday.

DH and I went out to dinner last weekend to celebrate, lol. We always celebrate Valentine's the week before. Cheaper and less crowded.

The Double Cash is certainly a nice card for the non-churner. I also believe is has a use for MS...but I don't know of many people in our group who are employing it as part of their churning strategy.
DH and I have the Citi double cash card. We got it prior to getting into churning about 6 or 7 years ago. We keep it because no AF, and we use it as an in between signup bonuses on other cards. I can easily rack up a few hundred to use towards vacations as “souvenir” cash, so we keep it around because for us it’s useful.

Edited to add: once we get into the CIP game I’ll have to re-evaluate how useful it is, lol.

Yeah, it’s a whole new world. And he’s in private school so he doesn’t want to stand out but have no idea what the other boys might wear since it is their 1st dance. He would happily wear his Adidas but they don’t meet the dress code :)
Funny you mentioned Adidas, because I was thinking Vans “Old Skools”, but figured if I suggested them I’d be THAT MOM! Haha! Our 12 year old recently was in a wedding and the shoe situation killed me. I hated the idea of buying him shoes that he would never wear again. He’s in an adult size shoe, and they’re not cheap. So I was that mom and bought him brand new black Old Skool Vans that he wore in the wedding and has continued wearing daily since. He received a ton of compliments on them at the wedding. I’m not sure if they are dress code for your son’s dance, but thought I would share my story of buying a tween boy dress shoes. FWIW I understand your dilemma.
ETA: photo of shoes.
E473709

I may have to steal this idea next year. I get the kids something small too, but Valentine's cards at school have gotten out of control. This year, DD6 asked if she was getting something for Vday, and I wanted to answer "yes, my assistance assembling 60 (!) Valentine's cards for school and after-school care parties." But of course I didn't say that. Add in DD3's 20 cards and I am seriously over this holiday.

DH and I went out to dinner last weekend to celebrate, lol. We always celebrate Valentine's the week before. Cheaper and less crowded.
Thankfully we don't have school valentines to worry about since we homeschool. As teens they are just loving picking their own candy heart each year, it never occurred to me that kids would enjoy it or maybe I would have done it sooner, like while my older two were still at home lol

Funny you mentioned Adidas, because I was thinking Vans “Old Skools”, but figured if I suggested them I’d be THAT MOM! Haha! Our 12 year old recently was in a wedding and the shoe situation killed me. I hated the idea of buying him shoes that he would never wear again. He’s in an adult size shoe, and they’re not cheap. So I was that mom and bought him brand new black Old Skool Vans that he wore in the wedding and has continued wearing daily since. He received a ton of compliments on them at the wedding. I’m not sure if they are dress code for your son’s dance, but thought I would share my story of buying a tween boy dress shoes. FWIW I understand your dilemma.
This is what was in the invite:
Dress shoes, Sperry’s, bucks, or something appropriate for dress pants/khakis. No athletic shoes.

I would love to get him something he would get more use out of Like Vans. He doesn’t have many dress up opportunities so these will get very little use. His dress pants are black so he definitely isn’t wearing his Sperry’s. The boys wanted this to be casual but the girls wanted to be able to where fancy dresses and they won.

ETA: photo of shoes.
EView attachment 473709
Adorable! Yeah, those are definitely a no go.

One drawback to the SW CP. Having to check in separate. I got a58 and dh got b28 for our 7:30 flight tomorrow, at exactly 24 hours. Hopefully there isn't too much family boarding, going from Minneapolis to Nashville.
That has happened to me before ( far apart boarding numbers), but I never had trouble saving a seat for my DH or vice versa.

This is what was in the invite:
Dress shoes, Sperry’s, bucks, or something appropriate for dress pants/khakis. No athletic shoes.

I would love to get him something he would get more use out of Like Vans. He doesn’t have many dress up opportunities so these will get very little use. His dress pants are black so he definitely isn’t wearing his Sperry’s. The boys wanted this to be casual but the girls wanted to be able to where fancy dresses and they won.

Aside from the fact I can't believe they are dictating whay shoes the kids can wear to a dance, what would happen if he did wear the vans?

Sorry but in many places, weddings, prom etc, both vans and chucks are appropriate shoes with suits and tuxes.

I'd look for.the dress that are more sneaker and have white soles. Or at least show.them as an option.

Eta neither vans or chucks are athletic shoes any more.

Do you have another use for the certs and credit? If so, I would probably stay where you are. If not, I'd move and use them up.
They are currently attached to a reservation for the Gaylord in Texas, DH would rather go to Universal Orlando that weekend, which we wouldn't use the certificates for UO.

Shutdowns continue...the pace has seemingly remained consistent. Seems like mostly moderate-heavy hitters. No change on the lower level 4 SUB threshold.

There was a pretty terribly written blog post the other day about it HERE.

Also, to my knowledge, no further reports of gift card issues so that might be an isolated incident.

Shutdowns continue...the pace has seemingly remained consistent. Seems like mostly moderate-heavy hitters. No change on the lower level 4 SUB threshold.

There was a pretty terribly written blog post the other day about it HERE.

Also, to my knowledge, no further reports of gift card issues so that might be an isolated incident.
Thanks! My gift cards have all shipped, so I am clearly not shut down...yet :-)

Aside from the fact I can't believe they are dictating whay shoes the kids can wear to a dance, what would happen if he did wear the vans?

Sorry but in many places, weddings, prom etc, both vans and chucks are appropriate shoes with suits and tuxes.

I'd look for.the dress that are more sneaker and have white soles. Or at least show.them as an option.

Eta neither vans or chucks are athletic shoes any more.
Thanks and @IFlossU also!
DS decided to go with these. (I’ll bring his Sperry’s just in case. I don’t want him to miss the dance because of his shoes.)

Attachments

• 231ECFB0-AFA3-4B55-A020-E3E31CF8A3EC.png
    231ECFB0-AFA3-4B55-A020-E3E31CF8A3EC.png
    180.6 KB · Views: 43
Oral surgery for DH. MSR spend for me. Lol.
Same here - saw the appointment on the calendar for next week and stopped waffling about which card to get and put in an application for a card I know can be expedited :rotfl:
Yeah, it’s a whole new world. And he’s in private school so he doesn’t want to stand out but have no idea what the other boys might wear since it is their 1st dance. He would happily wear his Adidas but they don’t meet the dress code :)
I like your solution of bringing a spare pair. You know that once they are there, the boys will never notice what kind of shoes the other kids are wearing, but the question looms large beforehand!

I get to make our FP selections next Friday and DHS is completely throwing me off here. I swear I have never had to put this much effort into my FP selections before. I also realized that we'll be in AZ on Friday so I have to get up at 4am!!

Same here - saw the appointment on the calendar for next week and stopped waffling about which card to get and put in an application for a card I know can be expedited :rotfl:

I like your solution of bringing a spare pair. You know that once they are there, the boys will never notice what kind of shoes the other kids are wearing, but the question looms large beforehand!
Yeah, it wasn’t so much the students as the principal patrol. They literally look over their uniform and make them correct it or they get some type of demerit.

I get to make our FP selections next Friday and DHS is completely throwing me off here. I swear I have never had to put this much effort into my FP selections before. I also realized that we'll be in AZ on Friday so I have to get up at 4am!!
Yowza! That will not be any fun unless you are still on EST time.

Thanks! I had actually looked at something similar in Men’s. Then DS saw the Vans Checkboard Slip-ons and wanted them. I’ll know he‘ll be able to reuse them so I went that route. He can be a rebel :)

What's the girls dress code for this? I would think they'd be more concerned with policing that then the shoes the guys wear.

DISchurners Thread Refresh Announcement:
So you may have noticed that the Disney World Tips thread locked a couple of weeks ago. As is the case with all reddit threads, after 6 months they lock and require a refresh if the information is still pertinent.

The Disney World Tips thread has been refreshed!
Keep in mind that the majority of the great info shown there has been sourced directly from all of our friends here on the thread! This post is divided into subcategories and I welcome everybody to chime in with their thoughts, experiences, etc. - just make sure you do so as a reply to the appropriate category. This will organize the information and make the thread more use-able. If you think that a new sub-category is warranted, please let us know!

You may not find anything earth shattering there as for many of us, the primary WDW strategy remains cashing our URs and buying discounted Disney GCs. That said, you might give it a quick glance and see if anything helpful pops out or add information if you have something valuable to say!

Also, as part of this refresh I have removed categories discussing touring plans and fastpasses. I've found it's very difficult for us to keep that information relevant and current, AND we're on the DISboards - there are numerous threads with great information already here!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter