• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

First off, I tried to browse the thread, but you guys are sure active! If there’s a post that will help me out, I’d appreciate being pointed in the right direction!

I have about $5000 in medical bills that I will be paying over the next few months. I have the money to cover them in an HSA account, but was thinking about paying with a credit card and then pay the CC bill with the HSA account to rack up some extra $$. My everyday credit card would earn me $50.

I don’t do air travel a lot, but usually fly a few times a year. Is it worth it to try to rack up some air miles with these bills? I don’t have a lot of monthly expenses, so this level of spending wouldn’t continue, maybe $650 a month normally.

I’d appreciate anyone feedback!

Hi and Welcome...It looks like you and your husband are 2/24..since your an authorized user on his two sw cards they show up on your credit report.

I think you’d like to get another sw companion pass for 2019/2020...to do so you could apply for the sw business card and a sw personal card towards the end of 2018 and complete the minimum spend on the cards in 2019...if I’m remembering correctly it’s $3,000 on each card in the first 3 months
Since you still babysit..i would consider that a business...just make sure you apply for the business card with your name and SS number...you could use your 2017 business income and for household income combine your and your husbands .
.I sell on eBay and have no issues getting the sw business card

You Or your husband could apply for the CSP now....which has a annual fee but it’s waved the first year you get 50,000UR points after spending $4,000 in the first 3 months.....don’t add the other as an authorized user...if you do it will put you both at 3/24
When your done with one spend, you or your husband can refer the for your own CSP...so you get another 50,000UR plus the 10,000 UR referral points

..I’m pretty new to this so I’m sure others with more experience will give additional advice

Thanks! That sounds like a lot of points! I guess we shouldn't have added me as an authorized user on all his cards. I never realized. We don't even use the Southwest cards anyway other than to pay the fee when we book flights. :( We usually take it slow on opening cards. I just worry about our credit score. I also feel like we have too many accounts. I'll have to discuss this when he's home. He's in China on business trip at the moment.

originally we were going depart at 10pm Sunday, but when I decided not to do a park I moved it to 3:30pm. I didn't want it too early since DME picks up 3 hours before. I'd like a leisurely morning. I could change it back, but DH has super early meeting in Knoxville Monday morning super early and was requesting I be home early enough for him to leave Sunday night and drive over there. It isn't imperative, but since we can fit in everything we want to do on Fri and Sat I think it is fine to not do a park Sunday.

I wouldn’t go to the parks Sunday then. SO and I got a lot done this trip, considering we got to the parks at 6:30 yesterday lol.

Are you there right now? I’m still debating if I should pack tank tops or T-shirts for next weekend.

I wear TShirts. I have the Nike and Under Armour dry fit athletic T-shirt’s. I was wearing jean shorts earlier but between sitting on wet seats on splash and pirates and sweating I changed into work out basketball shorts lol. It’s very gross out here. We normally go in June but it usually rains and cools us down it hasn’t rained at all so far for us.

I wouldn’t go to the parks Sunday then. SO and I got a lot done this trip, considering we got to the parks at 6:30 yesterday lol.

I wear TShirts. I have the Nike and Under Armour dry fit athletic T-shirt’s. I was wearing jean shorts earlier but between sitting on wet seats on splash and pirates and sweating I changed into work out basketball shorts lol. It’s very gross out here. We normally go in June but it usually rains and cools us down it hasn’t rained at all so far for us.
I’m not packing any jean shorts lol. I know how that goes. It looks like it’s going to be rainy when we are there next weekend. Friday is our pool/ds day and I think it’s supposed to rain all day. I’m just bringing sandals, crappy shoes, an umbrella, and ponchos

Thanks! That sounds like a lot of points! I guess we shouldn't have added me as an authorized user on all his cards. I never realized. We don't even use the Southwest cards anyway other than to pay the fee when we book flights. :( We usually take it slow on opening cards. I just worry about our credit score. I also feel like we have too many accounts. I'll have to discuss this when he's home. He's in China on business trip at the moment.

I’m very new to this ...just found this thread in May....we too took it slow opening cards...the only cards my husband and I had opened recently were SW cards to get the companion pass..for 2018/2019....our son lives in Orlando so we get a lot of use out of it and SW points....We also always added the other as an authorized user...before finding this thread

Since May...I have opened a CIP..for the 80,000UR....once that spend was met...I referred my husband...so I the 20,000 referral bonus, also got another bonus when my friend opened the card....my card just closed and in 2 months I have just over 127,000UR.....we are now working on the $5,000 spend on his card....we put everything on it...gas, food, utilities etc...

Our credit scores have actually gone up a few points since May

Well, I would say that usually the points are re-deposited right away, but I have had a reservation that I had to call about, and it took several days (maybe up to a week) for the points to re-appear.
Thanks....Can the reservation be cancelled online or do you have to call

Hi All,

First off, I tried to browse the thread, but you guys are sure active! If there’s a post that will help me out, I’d appreciate being pointed in the right direction!

I have about $5000 in medical bills that I will be paying over the next few months. I have the money to cover them in an HSA account, but was thinking about paying with a credit card and then pay the CC bill with the HSA account to rack up some extra $$. My everyday credit card would earn me $50.

I don’t do air travel a lot, but usually fly a few times a year. Is it worth it to try to rack up some air miles with these bills? I don’t have a lot of monthly expenses, so this level of spending wouldn’t continue, maybe $650 a month normally.

I’d appreciate anyone feedback!

Hi...I’m pretty new here...but I’ll try and help....Chase has a rule about how many cards you can open in a 24 month period 0/24....if you could list what credit cards you have of all,types and when you opened them
Also do you usually fly one airline ? Are you ok with paying an annual fee on a cc

Two scores today.

I scrapbook, but have been really behind. I saw a deal post for 25 prints at Walgreens for 25cents so I ordered some. Then I realized on my way to pick them up, Freedom quarter! Think I'll be watching for print deals the next few months!

Then, the reason I'm going home next weekend is my cousins wife's baby shower. Were very close, and they've really been there for us lately. I was browsing her registry this morning and everything is $35 and under or $140 and up. I wanted somewhere in the middle but didnt want to do multiple items because of flying... so this morning I look at a deal site, and the baby carrier she wants is $50 off today! Putting it right in my range. Plus ofcourse, I will save 10 % by buying amazon gift cards at lowes ;) oh yes, Amazon is sneaky and does not show sale prices on the registry page.

On that note, i was goingto buy myself $300 for prime day, but grabbed $400 since the baby carrier is about $90. My lowes was cleaned out of $50s and variable loads. The cashier was first confused about removingthe strip off the gift cards, and then i went to use Samsung pay... and she was like, that doesnt usually work here and cancelled it! It was still processing, i could see on her screen. I didnt argue because I've had that attitude before at that store, even though ive used it successfully. I just pulled out my card and laughed to myself.

Last edited:
Barclays is indeed the more sensitive issuer, so I would do them first. Citi's bonus is higher, but you have to spend $4k. It's hard to beat 50k miles for just one purchase (even if it's only $1) + AF. Barclays might ask you for business documents during recon if it's not auto-approved. You can always decide not to bother if it gets to that points. Plus, the higher biz offer is ending at the end of this month. I'd try for the AAviator Biz first, then go for the Citi Biz AA.

Thanks, I think that makes a lot of sense. I appreciate the feedback!

Great day today! I have always wanted to go to SDCC but never been able to find tickets. NYCC is the second biggest show. Well guess what, I was able to get Saturday New York City comic con tickets today! Our first time. They sold out within the hour they went on sale. Now to figure out our cosplay costumes!

Also finalized our Spring Break 2019 plans today with the release of JetBlue’s schedule. First stop is NYC for Hamilton at the Richard Rodgers Theater. Free night stay at the New Yorker hotel courtesy of Wyndham points. Then we fly to Las Vegas for 5 days. Nonstop AA flights from JFK. Bryce and Zion on the list during our stay. Booked red eye direct flights back for 10,000 true blue points each plus $5.60 in taxes. Hotel will be 3 nights using ihg points and free night cert at the Palazzo and our last night at the Hyatt Place Las Vegas. So glad to be booked and done.

The SW cards give bonus miles on your anniversary. Wait until the miles post to your DHs RR account then cancel if you so desire. The annual fee (AF) will be refunded if you cancel within 30 days and you keep the miles. However your DH can call and ask if there are any retention offers before canceling. Sometimes they will offer a statement credit or extra miles to keep the card open, of course, he should refer you to both cards before he closes them.

I’m very new to this ...just found this thread in May....we too took it slow opening cards...the only cards my husband and I had opened recently were SW cards to get the companion pass..for 2018/2019....our son lives in Orlando so we get a lot of use out of it and SW points....We also always added the other as an authorized user...before finding this thread

Since May...I have opened a CIP..for the 80,000UR....once that spend was met...I referred my husband...so I the 20,000 referral bonus, also got another bonus when my friend opened the card....my card just closed and in 2 months I have just over 127,000UR.....we are now working on the $5,000 spend on his card....we put everything on it...gas, food, utilities etc...

Our credit scores have actually gone up a few points since May
I love how people who just recently joined this thread are jumping in to help already! Awesome!

Thanks....Can the reservation be cancelled online or do you have to call

If I recall correctly, I was able to cancel the reservation through the UR site. When the points didn't automatically re-appear, I called to see when I would get them back. I think the rep said it could take up to 30 days but it didn't take that long (I think it was a few days). I didn't think to ask why the points weren't automatically returned when usually they are.

lAso finalized our Spring Break 2019 plans today with the release of JetBlue’s schedule. First stop is NYC for Hamilton at the Richard Rodgers Theater. Free night stay at the New Yorker hotel courtesy of Wyndham points. Then we fly to Las Vegas for 5 days. Nonstop AA flights from JFK. Bryce and Zion on the list during our stay. Booked red eye direct flights back for 10,000 true blue points each plus $5.60 in taxes. Hotel will be 3 nights using ihg points and free night cert at the Palazzo and our last night at the Hyatt Place Las Vegas. So glad to be booked and done.

Hamilton is so good, and the Richard Rodgers is really nice. We're going to see it again next month. Never stayed at the New Yorker but walked past it many times. Be sure to try the Tick Tock Diner for breakfast!

If I recall correctly, I was able to cancel the reservation through the UR site. When the points didn't automatically re-appear, I called to see when I would get them back. I think the rep said it could take up to 30 days but it didn't take that long (I think it was a few days). I didn't think to ask why the points weren't automatically returned when usually they are.

Thanks for the info...when I cancel my SW reservation. The points go right back in...since this does not always happen it..I’m not going to to book until I’m sure it’s what we want.

I’m also trying to figure out what’s a good deal with the hotels too and if there is a better time to look on the site or if it’s like the airlines..just keep checking for the best price

Hamilton is so good, and the Richard Rodgers is really nice. We're going to see it again next month. Never stayed at the New Yorker but walked past it many times. Be sure to try the Tick Tock Diner for breakfast!
Thanks for the suggestions. How far is the theater from the New Yorker?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter