International travel restrictions

Even when the border opens up, I think a big issue will be health coverage out of province until there is a vaccine or treatment. So even if we can travel, we won't be able to for a bit. Unless we want to get stuck with a huge medical bill that will wipe out everything we worked all our lives for. Maybe there will be extra "Covid-19" protection add ons. Who knows.
I’m glad you brought this up because I don’t think everyone would necessarily think of this once we get the greenlight to travel. I was actually just thinking about this yesterday because I have a trip to Disney planned for later this year but it’s just too risky in my opinion to go without insurance that includes COVID-19 as there is no way that I could afford those hospital bills if heaven forbid something were to happen while we were away.

Part of me is wondering if the doom and gloom from the PMs office is so people don't pre-maturely start going out into public.
I think you just need to look at China specifically and watch the others who came just after them but before us for a lens to the future. China is just starting to loosen up internal travel restrictions now, 4 months after they went into place. And this is just a loosening, not a lifting. Last I read, international travel restrictions by China were still in place (you are not allowed into China). A couple of countries that have tried loosening a bit have had to clamp back down as the virus re-surged. I fully expect that China is experimenting a bit too, and may still see further restrictions.

I don't think the PM is being overly dramatic at all, his assessments seem to be in sync with the reality.

IMO, we will be allowed to gather in small groups and business will slowly reopen by summer. Long distance pleasure travel will be longer than that. Even if not outright banned, it will be considered very selfish, and Canadians don't like being considered selfish. Just look at all the reporting on people travelling in-province this weekend!

Checking in
Happy Easter everyone!
I spent the week rearranging some rooms to allow for home working/office space.
Being home I know is frustrating but I had a moment the other night that put things into perspective for me.

My Nana raised 4 kids in England during the war.
Ration cards,, no choices of what to buy. These were very small amounts for a family of 5.
Saying goodbye to husbands ,and other family members who you knew you might not ever see again.
Mom's/grandma's working long and hard hours in factories refitted for the war effort.
Regular air raids during the night,,sometimes sleeping all night and days in a shelter till the all clear was given.Getting from the house to the shelter had it's perils in the night with no lights allowed.
My mom carried her faithful gas mask to school each day,,and when teased about it color(blue) she would swing and hit at the bully.
Darkness in the house always,,never were curtains open,,never was light to the outside world allowed or planes/bombers could make your home a target.
Special occasions were marked by saving a months worth of baking ingredients to make someone a cake.
Hoping there was never a knock on the front door because that meant someone you loved was gone............
I'm happy just to be in Canada!

And today I am asked to stay home and social distance,,yeah I think I can do that.

Hugs
Mel

P.S.
When I feel the need this is how I am traveling and exploring right now.
https://explore.org/livecams

Last edited:
We had a road trip to Lake Tahoe planned for early July so we've cancelled that. We still have trips booked in late August and mid October to Florida and California and unfortunately, airfare is already booked with Westjet. So it's a wait and see right now. I'm not very hopeful that either of those trips will happen, but I'll wait for WJ to cancel so I can get it all back in my travel bank vs. paying $100 per person +fees to cancel the flights.
I must be misunderstanding something about the dozen or so e-mails I've gotten from WestJet. I thought they had waived all cancellations and/or change fees. :confused: We were booked to London on a basic fare and until late-March they were still denying changes on those fares but of course when the flights were cancelled they did put a credit back in our Travel Bank. I would have much preferred a refund.

We now have WestJet credit and cruise line credit. As badly as I wish we could start planning a future trip, we just won't - not until the world has largely returned to normal. Unfortunately, I'm not comfortable making any predictions when that will happen and for all we know, one or both of us could actually get sick at some point, which I'm sure will be excluded from travel insurance.

We're also constrained by not having yet hit bottom on how our personal finances are going to be affected and it's folly to plan for discretionary spending until we feel more confident. I suspect we're far from the only ones with that problem. Luckily, daydreaming about future trips is still free...:cloud9:

We had planned a WDW/DCL/WDW trip for November. We cancelled it all yesterday. The PM said yesterday about a second wave in the fall and he talked about taking all necessary actions to keep Canadians safe so we feared that maybe our borders may not be open for non-essential travel. In addition, my Mom is 85 and I have a compromised immune system so even if the virus had settled down, being in a crowd at WDW or on the ship did not appeal to us, so we cancelled knowing that we will be getting our $$$ back and not a future credit. Although we probably won't get much use of our WDW APs (we had 4 trips planned to use them) but ended up cancelling our March, August and now November trip. It is possible that with the extension WDW is offering on the APs we *might* get another trip in, but we feel that our health is more important.

Another angle is what if you have had covid? Would you be covered for a period of time as you would have the antibodies in your system to help fight it better?

off topic - is that even a correct statement? Once you get it you are safe for a while?
This is the million dollar question! If yes, then vaccines are going to be golden, and using serum from recovered patients to help critically ill patients will be a valid therapy. If not, or if the virus is mutating too fast to nail it down, vaccines won't be useful and people could get reinfected after they recover. This would be devastating. It's also possible to have something in the middle, where immunity lasts for a months or a few years, and people would need a vaccine booster, like we do for tetanus.

I must be misunderstanding something about the dozen or so e-mails I've gotten from WestJet. I thought they had waived all cancellations and/or change fees. :confused: We were booked to London on a basic fare and until late-March they were still denying changes on those fares but of course when the flights were cancelled they did put a credit back in our Travel Bank. I would have much preferred a refund.

We now have WestJet credit and cruise line credit. As badly as I wish we could start planning a future trip, we just won't - not until the world has largely returned to normal. Unfortunately, I'm not comfortable making any predictions when that will happen and for all we know, one or both of us could actually get sick at some point, which I'm sure will be excluded from travel insurance.

We're also constrained by not having yet hit bottom on how our personal finances are going to be affected and it's folly to plan for discretionary spending until we feel more confident. I suspect we're far from the only ones with that problem. Luckily, daydreaming about future trips is still free...:cloud9:
WestJet is only waiving change/cancellation fees on flights booked til the end of May. Our flights are August and Oct so until they include more dates in their policy, we would have to pay $100/person but taxes so I'm holding on to them until they cancel the flights.

We have a mid July WDW trip planned, we haven’t booked flights yet, we were prepared to drive if things are somewhat back to normal by say early June.
I’m thinking less and less this trip will happen. Waiting for late Fall/ early winter deals to maybe move our trip. I just can’t get motivated to finish planning our dining and FP right now... I want to plan of course, but not when it’s very likely not to happen. We also have a late august cruise from NYC, definitely not counting on that either.

I was just coming on here to see what my fellow Canadians feel about the opening of the border... health insurance coverage and WDW park running for our first week of September trip. I was hopeful at the beginning of all of this...now... unless a vaccine or treatment is found soon, I am not so hopeful. I won't cancel yet as I am all set to go if allowed, but I am starting to think it's not going to happen.

I was just coming on here to see what my fellow Canadians feel about the opening of the border... health insurance coverage and WDW park running for our first week of September trip. I was hopeful at the beginning of all of this...now... unless a vaccine or treatment is found soon, I am not so hopeful. I won't cancel yet as I am all set to go if allowed, but I am starting to think it's not going to happen.

Hi Hon
One of my biggest concerns would be,,, even if I could secure health insurance would the health care system where I am going even be available.
Fingers crossed for you.
Hugs
Mel

I haven’t cancelled my August vacation yet, it’s very end of August .. I already rebooked once when the schools decided they were going back pre labour day and that cost me $$. I will wait and see if they cancel . If I go ahead and book fastpasses am I out of luck? And two air miles tickets three are cdn residency date specific ?? I’m assuming/hoping I can pay a difference ..
I went ahead and booked dec 25-27 with dvc. And air through JetBlue any new bookings through Jan 2021 are cancel change fees waived . Worse case scenario I get a travel voucher .
I was concerned if they cancel August in say June everyone else will have already rebooked and I’ll be out the DVC years worth . I guess besides neither trip taking place.. I have two sets of travel plans .. August happens and cmas becomes a bonus budget resort only trip . Or August doesn’t happen and we piece something together ..
Never in my wildest dreams almost a year ago today from Hollywood studios when I purchased dvc I’d have thought of this . War and terrorism crossed my mind, pandemic did not :(

I also worry as my ex is American and is one of the “blowing this out of proportion “ covidiots.. and if things aren’t settled he’s going to want the boys down there before I’m comfortable . He cane to visit right after being in Cali right when they were blowing up right before schools and everything closed...possibly exposed them and said “ it’s just the flu”
Sigh

Our trip is booked for end of Nov/ beginning of Dec. I have not booked flights or have my theme park tickets yet. I am assuming that our trip will not be happening, unfortunately, and it makes me very sad! 😥
Like you, our plans are scheduled for late Nov 2020, and while my DDs and I are still bravely pretending that this trip will take place, I am afraid we are whistling in the dark. Obviously, we have no wish to travel before it is safe to do so. Health insurance is a huge consideration for me, having turned 65 this year, as well as having a pre-existing condition to complicate matters.

In mid-March, DH and I were in FL, and opted to head home early, just a few days before our planned visit to WDW. I consoled myself all the way home with the thought that I would be there later this year. Doesn’t seem too likely now. I will, however, look on this as a chance to plan for a time when more family members may be able to come along. Have to find some kind of silver lining, right?

I was to go today but of course it’s canceled and I have a credit. I’m waiting for things to settle to go back. I have a US passport so I think I can go now but not sure. Probably would have to quarantine getting there and back and I don’t want to do that.
Are you a US citizen just living here?

Thank you! So yeah. If it’s July, we for sure won’t be the first ones to leave the country ( our Disney trip is mid-July)
I have a feeling it's not going to happen. I was supposed to be going to Busch Gardens Virginia in August and I am starting to think it's not going to happen. By July I think you will see restaurants bars and regular stores open. I can't see the border being open any time soon. I am starting think summer is not happening here.

I have a feeling it's not going to happen. I was supposed to be going to Busch Gardens Virginia in August and I am starting to think it's not going to happen. By July I think you will see restaurants bars and regular stores open. I can't see the border being open any time soon. I am starting think summer is not happening here.
I was hoping they would start opening local travel by June... wishful thinking. Was hoping we could go to Banff just to get away for the summer. Have to wonder what would happen to all the summer camps for kids.

Are you a US citizen just living here?
Yes. I have a permanent resident card. That’s what I use to enter Canada. Not a passport. It goes into the same scanning machine as a passport. Going into the USA my US passport is used. Neither country cares for seeing the other.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter