Man Card Revoked!!

don't worry! my dad is the disney person in our family. my mom loves it just as much as he does, but he really loves making the reservations and gets to excited when its time to go.

he and my mom are driving my niece and i down to florida for our trip and he just couldn't stand not going. i got an email with his forwarded disney reservations for one night that just said "HAHAH!" he's so excited.

Dude,I am the planner,and Dis'er in our family too,except I don't go as far as you-tube and such.I just usually cruise the boards taking in the experiences of others,and using the information to incorporate different aspects to our vacations-helps to change it up,so we don't get bored going!!! Most of the people I work with think I'm crazy-they just don't get it though!:goodvibes

OP... you have already found the DIS Dad's thread... Welcome!!!

DIS DADs thread.. real talk, no filler. (or was it all filler and some talk?)

I do all the planning for our WDW trips and am on the DIS countless hours each week. You are not alone!!!!!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

For us men who are too lazy to read every post (i know some of you are out there) A direct link to the MAN ROOM! ;)

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2439511

Thanks so much for this thread. I too am an unrepentant Disney Dad who gets more exited about trips than my kids do. My symptoms include:
- Listening to Disney park radio stations whenever I get a chance (and rushing to click them off when my wife walks in the room). I'm upgrading to an iPhone 4 for the main reason that I will be able to background the radio station while I do my e-mail.
- Checking airline ticket prices daily on the off chance there's some crazy last-minute sale on today
- An assortment of Disney t-shirts that get worn at every chance
- 80% of the podcasts I subscribe to are Disney related
- I too regularly walk through the parks vitually on Google Earth
- and the list goes on...

And like most of the others my wife just doesn't get it. She's happy to go every couple years but I'd be happy to go a few times a year.

The biggest thing came up last year where I floated the idea a few months before my birthday of me flying down on my own (no wife or kids) for 2 days to celebrate my birthday. She shook her head and said I could go to get it out of my system (little did she know it was just fueling the fire). During the trip I walked into the back of the France pavillion to see Belle and Aurora standing there with a PhotoPass photographer and no line-up. After explaining to them where my "pricess was" and why she wasn't there I spent close to10 minutes with them joking around. Whenever I was getting pictures done with one of them, the other would wink and blow kisses. I have a big dumb smile on my face for all of those pictures.

I'll definitely be joining the Dis Dad's club.

Hey Goof4Prez!

It's Brunette! My husband and I will be meeting up with ya'll at the Polynesian for the Dole Whip on the 7th! BTW, nah you havn'et lost your man card, my husband loves Disney just the same as you!

Can't wait to go to the Wilderness Lodge! :worship:

This thread has been a better recruiting tool for the DisDad's club than the Krispy Kreme give away I recommended a while back...:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

And I dare anyone to JUST TRY and take my man card:cool2::cool2:

Well...let's see...I have subscriptions to Touring Plans, Tour Guide Mike and RideMax. I've tweaked our ADRs for October about a dozen times. I just rebooked our Southwest flights so that I could use the $25 off coupon code. I have several spreadsheets which track all aspects of our trips. I read the DIS pretty much every day. Yeah, I'm right there with ya brother!

I never went to WDW as a kid so my first trip was about five years ago which was also my kids first trip. I'm convinced that I enjoyed it more than the kids did and they LOVED it! We've been every year since - last time was this past Xmas. Next trip is just the DW and I for the F&W festival in October. There's nothing wrong with wanting to make some good memories for your family.

Hey Goof4Prez!

It's Brunette! My husband and I will be meeting up with ya'll at the Polynesian for the Dole Whip on the 7th! BTW, nah you havn'et lost your man card, my husband loves Disney just the same as you!

Can't wait to go to the Wilderness Lodge! :worship:

I look forward to meeting you and your fanatical DH as well. :rotfl::thumbsup2

Same here. What the heck does Disney planning have to do with being a man? Did we slip back to 1954 when I wasn't looking?

I dont see why they would think your man card should be revoked! My DH doesnt sit on the boards or anything but he is in on all the planning and LOVES WDW as much as I do. Ppl who think its unmanly just dont get WDW and that its not just for kids! Have a great trip!

I just hate the idea that having a family, providing fun for that family, making sure the family has a good time...means you're not a real man. Call me crazy, but it seems to me that these things are MORE manly than other activities that some people feel are manly (which tend to cause men to leave the family and go be alone, which isn't actually what I consider to be manly).

I understand how you all feel, but I think perhaps you may be missing the point in this whole thread. We as Disney fanatical men have the uncanny ability to find humor in what is not often perceived as "manly" in our love of WDW. Sometimes I think we need to loosen up and not be so serious with everything in life. I

Watching endless hours of football, baseball, and Nascar are considered manly to WDW outsiders. Watching the Military Channel, or ESPN News is manly. Waltzing around a Best Buy or HH Gregg and pretending your looking to buy a big screen tv is considered manly. Wanting to buy a Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger is considered manly. Sitting in a lawn chair drinking a beverage with a shirt not large enough to cover our well earned belly's is considered manly. Growing more hair on our backs and ears than on the top of our heads is manly.

But we as WDW fanatical men know the truth; spending family time with our better halfs (yes, that would be our Disney Wives), and our children is the most "manly" thing we can do. :lovestruc

And with the overwelming response from men and women on this thread, I'm glad I started it. :thumbsup2

Nah, you are not the only one! My husband does it all in our house too, he loves it! I asked him what he was going to do when the vacation is over? He gave me a lower lip pout, lol. :goodvibes

Ok everyone, I officially have had my "man card" revoked. :rotfl:

Am I the only man who just before his trip scans every website he can to see all the pictures of WDW, surf all the trip reports here on the DIS, go to Youtube and watch endless videos of the rides?

I'm the one who spends all the time on the DIS in our house. I'm the one who books the trips, does all the research, makes out the itineraries, plans out the ADR's, and every other aspect of our trips. Don't get me wrong, my DW and DD are nuts about WDW, but I guess I'm the only one who is what I'd call "fanatic". Perhaps it's because growing up we never had the money to go to WDW? I'm not sure, but I know I'm addicted.

Ladies (and other men who do this), am I normal? My employee's don't get it. They gave me a humorous card (in good taste) that showed a man having his man card revoked. They also put a new name plate on my desk with Mrs. on it with my last name. So much for the third quarter bonus's they were getting. :lmao:

I'm sorry all, my name is Goofy4prez, yes I'm a man who loves WDW, and I'm an unrecoverable addict. Only 9 more days. :banana:

It is quite obvious that you are attempting to impersonate me. I don't appreciate it. ;)

Am I the only man who just before his trip scans every website he can to see all the pictures of WDW, surf all the trip reports here on the DIS, go to Youtube and watch endless videos of the rides?

I'm the one who spends all the time on the DIS in our house. I'm the one who books the trips, does all the research, makes out the itineraries, plans out the ADR's, and every other aspect of our trips. Don't get me wrong, my DW and DD are nuts about WDW, but I guess I'm the only one who is what I'd call "fanatic". Perhaps it's because growing up we never had the money to go to WDW? I'm not sure, but I know I'm addicted.

Ladies (and other men who do this), am I normal? My employee's don't get it. They gave me a humorous card (in good taste) that showed a man having his man card revoked. They also put a new name plate on my desk with Mrs. on it with my last name. So much for the third quarter bonus's they were getting. :lmao:

I'm sorry all, my name is Goofy4prez, yes I'm a man who loves WDW, and I'm an unrecoverable addict. Only 9 more days. :banana:

Dude...I have been doing it for years and I am not trying to get help and I am not recovering from anything...I love it too...I scan through all my past pictures at least once a week and watch all our old videos at least 2 times a year...and I am always on the DISboards

I'm male, 41 years old and could care less what people think about my love for Disney. My friends and co-workers usually ask me why I like WDW and I tell them it's hard to explain. I grew up in Florida in the 70s and 80s when the parks were just opening and it has become a part of my life.

Screw the man card business. I'm very comfortable with my masculinity and still adore the Magic Kingdom.

I've been told by my staff that my unrepentant love for WDW (and the fact that I'm wrapped around DD5's and DW's fingers) "humanizes" me. I'm in a position of power and apparently quite intimidating at my company, but it's hard to fear the guy with the Mickey watch and colorings all over the walls who ends every call with his wife with "I love you". (Although I am not afraid to remind them why they should, when necessary...:goodvibes)

My DW is a full partner in our planning, but I'm 100% in love with WDW. I read the boards while eating a quick lunch at my desk, buy the books and read them before bed, book the trips and surprise DW with DVC, give advice to my friends and colleagues, have Disney pins on my desk at work, wear a Mickey watch with my suits in a very formal business environment, and generally find peace in thinking about WDW when life gets crazy.

I find great humor in my love for WDW, but I'm unapologetic for it.

I think I'd send each employee a little card containing exactly one Disney Dollar with the note, "Here's your third quarter bonus -- spend it all in one place." :laughing:

What you are doing is known as reconnaissance or recon for short. It is a Man's job to recon every situation. Things to be looking for are best places hog down man meals. Best places for a COLD beer, in quantity. Route planning to keep the wife out of as many gift shops as possible, aka credit card protection. Pool recon is necessary to locate the best places for a nap. Important staff. Keep Dis Surfin and keep the other Men on this site informed of what you find.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter