New York or Orlando?? Heck, let`s do both.....12 nights NYC & Sapphire Falls...July 18 Trip Report

OMG-- that coconut cake! I almost licked my screen.....

It was lush!!!!

So rich.......but if we had got one each we would have eaten until there was nothing left on the plate!! Even if we had been full.......it was that good!

And I keep saying I don’t have a sweet tooth........:rotfl:

But, don’t know about you, but desserts are usually my last choice if I’m given the option.........but, hard choice....::yes::

Beautiful pictures always! Glad to hear good things about Lombard's. :thumbsup2We've never eaten there and would like to try it in a few weeks! Hidden bars are wonderful!:)

Beautiful pictures always! Glad to hear good things about Lombard's. :thumbsup2We've never eaten there and would like to try it in a few weeks! Hidden bars are wonderful!:)

Yep, Lombards is well worth a visit...….as is Chez Alcatraz...……

Glad you like the pictures...…...:-)

Carole, I love your detailed reports, the pictures you all get of the park details are stunning! I always wish I had a trip planned to USO while reading your reports so I can look for all the cool things!

I use to love the Jaws area and we would eat at Nathan’s hot dog place each time we were there.

Sorry your steak was like shoe leather, ugh! I love my steaks medium rare always!

The coconut cake looks yummy, one of my favorites is coconut cake or coconut cream pie!

Carole, I love your detailed reports, the pictures you all get of the park details are stunning! I always wish I had a trip planned to USO while reading your reports so I can look for all the cool things!

I use to love the Jaws area and we would eat at Nathan’s hot dog place each time we were there.

Sorry your steak was like shoe leather, ugh! I love my steaks medium rare always!

The coconut cake looks yummy, one of my favorites is coconut cake or coconut cream pie!

Thanks Caroline!!

Oh I had coconut cream pie once in New York.....oh my......loved it!!! I have a real weakness for coconut......and yes Nathan’s was so good! Only hot dog I ever liked!

I think steak is the one and only thing I need to be perfect......if it’s not medium rare or rare you might as well not bother.....it was a disappointment........

I’m glad you like the pictures too........and hope Andi is doing good in her new environment........she’ll do great I’m sure.........:wave2:

Hello @schumigirl have you ever had a chance to try Cafe Mineiro? It’s a Brazilian Steakhouse on IDrive.

Nope, never been to that one.......isn’t there one of those near The Florida Mall??

I’m not a fan of Brazilian buffet places it seems........tried Texas de Brazil and found it was just quantity over quality....

We were so disappointed we never went back.......we did tell them as it was obvious we hardly touched the meats offered......I don’t think they were bothered......place is always mobbed. The salad choices were nice but you don’t go there for salad.

Is it a place you would recommend?

Nope, never been to that one.......isn’t there one of those near The Florida Mall??

I’m not a fan of Brazilian buffet places it seems........tried Texas de Brazil and found it was just quantity over quality....

We were so disappointed we never went back.......we did tell them as it was obvious we hardly touched the meats offered......I don’t think they were bothered......place is always mobbed. The salad choices were nice but you don’t go there for salad.

Is it a place you would recommend?

We have gone twice to this one and I have heard the same from others about this particular place as well. So with that said, first time we said let’s give it a try, something new. I actually really enjoyed the cuts of beef, honestly I believe it was only top sirloin but very juicy and flavorful, the rest of the items nothing real impressive although still decent enough to eat. Second time I only went back for the cuts of beef again really, and they were just as tasty. As far as a recommendation if you and Tom are in the mood for something different maybe give it a go. It sounds as though you’re not real keen on these types, totally understand.

We had spoken of our experience at NBC and one thing that always comes to mind when speaking of steak, is how surprised I myself was at the wonderful flavor and tenderness.

We have gone twice to this one and I have heard the same from others about this particular place as well. So with that said, first time we said let’s give it a try, something new. I actually really enjoyed the cuts of beef, honestly I believe it was only top sirloin but very juicy and flavorful, the rest of the items nothing real impressive although still decent enough to eat. Second time I only went back for the cuts of beef again really, and they were just as tasty. As far as a recommendation if you and Tom are in the mood for something different maybe give it a go. It sounds as though you’re not real keen on these types, totally understand.

We had spoken of our experience at NBC and one thing that always comes to mind when speaking of steak, is how surprised I myself was at the wonderful flavor and tenderness.

It`s always nice when you find somewhere you enjoy...……

I wouldn't recommend Texas de Brazil...…..I wish I could, but it just seemed cheap and get them in, fill em up, and throw them out type of place...…

We happily pay more for good quality...….but, will have a look at it...…..:thumbsup2

It`s always nice when you find somewhere you enjoy...……

I wouldn't recommend Texas de Brazil...…..I wish I could, but it just seemed cheap and get them in, fill em up, and throw them out type of place...…

We happily pay more for good quality...….but, will have a look at it...…..:thumbsup2

There is a bunch of photos online if you google it, both the food and restaurant.

Here is maybe a better review

Meats=excellent

Rest of the food and restaurant=fair

So into the car and of course it is my turn to drive which I am delighted about...……..it is a road we know well of course and on our visit last year we saw a house being built that looked stunning...…..and it was almost finished today...…...we like this area a lot...…..there are some beautiful houses and each one is bigger and prettier than the previous ones...….but of course there are so many lovely areas around this way and up towards Windermere...….but for today we just looked...…..

i-Xs3ZHTz-XL.jpg

Driving up and down this road as we have done many times, we always see this temple and you can see it from miles and miles away. If you have ever been up on the Orlando Eye on a clear day you can see it a mile away......it is very white! And very beautiful.

i-VcLQbzc-XL.jpg

We drive to ABC Wine and Liquor again...…...yes, again...…..this place was a real favourite of ours very quickly. We like good alcohol, same with wines although we have been known to drink a few corkers in our time......but when it came to buying, quality was always important. BUt, so was the ability to purchase products not available to us in the UK. So some of these rums may not have been the most expensive, we would enjoy them because they were different.

We spent a while in here today chatting to the manager who recognized us from the last time we were in...….we chatted about the differences in what was easily available over here compared to what we get. It is better now, but we still don't get a lot of the varieties of flavors you guys get with vodkas especially. You can order online but it`s so much easier to just go to a store and buy them. And some of the wines were almost a third of the price we pay......one bottle was here was around $35 and we would pay over the equivalent of $120 for it. Amazing.

These were some from the store and a few we picked up in Duty Free at MCO...…..

i-Pmb7Wpq-XL.jpg

Sadly one is finished and another two are almost gone...….but everyone who helped drink them had fun!!!! :D

When we buy more I`m going to encourage my friends to drink something else...………::yes::

So after our purchases were safely ensconced in the trunk I drove back the short journey to the hotel...……...this was far too short a journey and I wanted to drive longer, so I missed the turn and we took the long way home......a very long way home...….I think we almost made it up to Ocala before eventually turning around and heading back home...…..it was a blast to drive!!!

But, back home we handed the car over and told him we would be back down later as we were eating offsite tonight...…..but for now we headed in and bought a coffee from the Dutch Trading Co...…..this is a nice place for all sorts of choices during the day and staff are lovely...…..it is an ideal hotel in so many ways.

Once up in the room, we had some wine to finish as I wasn't carrying wine back home...….so poured myself a rather tasty glass and we began the daunting task of packing...…..Tom enjoyed the coffee...…..

First and foremost and very importantly we wrapped our purchases in bubble wrap...….this was done very carefully and precisely so we could limit any damage that may happen in transit...….we`ve all seen how baggage handlers take care of our luggage!!! But we wrapped many items around so they were cocooned within the exterior of the suitcase...….and then we could only hope for the best...……..

We did manage to get most things packed up, I had carefully separated what was laundry into bags......but to be honest, everything ended up being washed...….I can`t help it.....it`s who I am and the thought of the clothes being cooped up in cases for almost two full days before we got home didn't fill me with joy......but I had set out with the plan not to wash everything!!!!!

Apparently I have a problem with the amount of washing and ironing I do in real life...…….according to friends...…..I`m not so sure...…

Once we have done the requisite amount of packing and leave out any essentials for tomorrow and tonight...…..we get showered and changed and Tom watches a little tv while I sup the last of the wine...…..

It was a little later when we headed down to retrieve the car from Valet...…..these guys are so nice.....always chatty even if they`re not the ones getting your car......so always a pleasure to have a few minutes chat with them...…..Tom of course is doing the driving tonight as I have had wine...…..and we head to LBV as we had decided to go to Longhorn tonight.

I had felt very cheated since I had a bad steak at NBC, so we both felt like a good cheap and cheerful steak tonight.....and Longhorn fits the bill perfectly......as always we drive over to LBV where it is a better standard than the one we had tried on I Drive...….too many tourists and quality hadn't been there compared to other locations. We wouldn't go back to that one again. And it didn't take long to get to LBV ...…..usually.

The junction of Palm Parkway onto Apopka Vineland Rd was a nightmare tonight...…..we must have waited 20 minutes and were backed up to where Kobe is on that area to begin with...…...we slowly edged forward and eventually turned on to Apopka Vineland...….I swear they were letting through one car at a time through the lights......then it took us another twenty minutes just to reach Bahama breeze before turning left onto Vineland where Longhorn is.

This whole area needs a good tidy up.....we don't go down this way very often, but it looks a little shabby and in need of a revamp.....which should happen with the new plans for this area! They should take their improvements further down that road too...….it could be lovely...…

Longhorn is right before the outlet centre down Vineland, and always busy with locals and some tourists too and our favourite Longhorn so far that we had tried...the car park was busy, far busier than the inside of the restaurant showed and we wondered if it was folks going to the outlets that had parked up here and walked along...….

We got seated immediately and had a nice table near the bar area...….and our waiter tonight was indeed the barman...….he was very nice and we immediately ordered a raspberry lemonade for Tom and a strawberry one for me...…..I had had two glasses of wine already and Tom was driving, so we would wait till later and have something in StrongWater Tavern...…….

i-spP6rmX-XL.jpg

He brought bread almost immediately and I had a little, and Tom didn't eat much of it either...…..but it is very nice. The whole restaurant is nice and you are made to feel very welcome here...…….

i-frz8QSn-XL.jpg

i-5qKJd7T-XL.jpg

The menu is lovely here...….plenty of choices for everyone from appetizers, entrees and desserts........and some lovely cocktail choices too. We didn't want an appetizer tonight as we weren't ready for more than one course...….so we both ordered caesar salad and they were nice...….nothing to write home about.....it`s a salad...…..but one thing we do like about it here is, you don't feel rushed...….it`s very relaxing and a lovely place to spend an evening...…..

i-kcKNSPn-XL.jpg

i-TRPwCqS-XL.jpg

i-Wsfbkgn-XL.jpg

Tom had decided to go for the 12oz NY Strip served medium, with regular fries, and I wanted the 10oz filet, served medium rare and a sweet baked potato.....I knew the steak would be perfect...…...

i-z3khcL4-XL.jpg

i-PZFLmvh-XL.jpg

Goodness they were perfect. Honestly, my steak would be classed as rare to most, but it was perfect to me.....maybe someone else would have asked for it to be cooked another few moments...….but it was so tender and juicy...…...Tom`s was more medium rare too but the strip can take it that way, and a lot better if I`m honest...…..

We both loved every morsel...…...strangely Tom doesn't like sweet potatoes very much......not fries, just doesn't like them served any way...….I loved em!!!!!

It had been a lovely meal and we paid the very inexpensive check after declining dessert...…..Tom would enjoy dessert if we brought Kyle back in December.

So, back out to the car and the drive back was slow to begin with but once we were on Palm Parkway it`s a straight road more or less...…...they are doing a huge amount of building work as you join Turkey Lake Road. It used to just be one large building sitting in the darkness around it......big changes ahead though.

We again admired how pretty Aventura was as we drove in tonight.....it was all lit up and you could see in a lot of the rooms...….we would explore in September.

Tom handed the car over to a very enthusiastic valet guy who was delighted to drive this car and kinda hinted so...….the biggest smile on his face told us that...….we chatted briefly and then we headed in to StrongWater Tavern...….

This is hands down our favourite bar in Orlando...…..it has it all...….good food, drinks and amazing staff who are all so friendly and helpful...….there are some people who don't know rums who come in and look for advice......and they`re so good at it.

We just needed a menu...…..lol...……

It was Melanie who was looking after us tonight, we hadn't really met her before but had seen her and she looked nice...….we told her it was only drinks tonight as we had already eaten...…...so I ordered a rum marathoner and Tom went for the Tempest which was a rum and a beer chaser......I have no clue the rum he chose or the beer...….

It was fairly quiet in here tonight, which was nice...….we could chat without shouting as we had done one night before there had been a convention crowd in.....but usually it was just a good atmosphere...….and that was tonight...…….

i-8WTnXPq-XL.jpg

i-PfkN33F-XL.jpg

Melanie brought the drinks and we got chatting to her about one thing and another and she asked what we did other than the parks...….and she was happy to hear the places we went that weren't just tourist places...…..and was surprised we knew Yellow Dog Eats...….but she was lovely to talk to and we had a good time getting to know her...……

She offered to take a couple of pictures and of course we were delighted to have a couple taken...……..

i-x8bFvLm-XL.jpg

Tom was thrilled with his choices this evening!!!

i-s2XDDxZ-XL.jpg

We were enjoying sitting and chatting the evening away...….time was passing quickly though.....so rather than admit our last night was coming to an end, we ordered another drink...…….

I chose the French berry daiquiri and Tom went for exactly the same as before...…...they were all lovely...…..and we got some more of the spice mix.....we do enjoy that!!!

i-rX6R3wP-XL.jpg

Eventually around 10.30pm we admitted it was indeed time to head up to our little beds and wait for the sun to rise to let us know it was for now, time to go home.

We paid the check and thanked Melanie for looking after us......a couple of the waiters we know stopped over to say hello while we were in which was nice.....they really are lovely...….so we said our goodnights and finally hit our room.

We put the tv on and I opened the drapes that turndown service had carefully closed to make the room cosy and warm looking...…..and I gazed out of the window at the parks and RPR all lit up in the night sky.....and I could also rather annoyingly see planes taking off from MCO.....that I didn't want to think about...…..

We eventually succumbed to tiredness and after checking we only had a few things to pack in the morning, we hit the hay and tried not to dwell on tomorrow too much. I thought of seeing Kyle and that helped a lot...….:hug:

There is a bunch of photos online if you google it, both the food and restaurant.

Here is maybe a better review

Meats=excellent

Rest of the food and restaurant=fair

Lol.......DH just vetoed another Brazilian place.......guess we won’t be going there........

I’m sure a friend of mine from the UK went to one at the Florida Mall only months back. They liked it.....

So many restaurants, not enough nights!!!

Lol.......DH just vetoed another Brazilian place.......guess we won’t be going there........

I’m sure a friend of mine from the UK went to one at the Florida Mall only months back. They liked it.....

So many restaurants, not enough nights!!!

It would be great if they had a to go window just to grab a skewer of steak...

We don’t have a lot of dinner plans set believe it or not for our upcoming November/December trip, only 3 reservations at Disney and nothing planned for Universal, one off-site at Bahama Breeze the night before we check into GF.

It would be great if they had a to go window just to grab a skewer of steak...

We don’t have a lot of dinner plans set believe it or not for our upcoming November/December trip, only 3 reservations at Disney and nothing planned for Universal, one off-site at Bahama Breeze the night before we check into GF.

Lol......yes, little takeout area would be good!

We very rarely make dining reservations........only The Palm and Ocean Prime as on Saturdays they get filled up quickly.......I just made our reservations tonight for both for two Saturdays we are there........one is my birthday choice so that’s the only reservations we ever make.

Gosh haven’t been to Bahama Breeze in years!!!! Liked their coconut shrimp! And cocktails.........:D

Oh I can absolutely believe it, Universal is excellent for not having to make reservations, and 3 for Disney doesn’t sound bad at all.........I just hate planning......

Have seen folks previously in Club Lounge sitting with spread sheets concentrating on what’s coming up on the Disney part of their trip????

Kyle is going with you this next trip right? Well, count me in for his desserts.:worship:

The picture of that house.....thought it was a boutique hotel judging from the size:confused3

Kyle is going with you this next trip right? Well, count me in for his desserts.:worship:

The picture of that house.....thought it was a boutique hotel judging from the size:confused3

The houses round there were lovely.........we have seen so many areas there that are beautiful!! Tempting.

No, Kyle won’t be with us this coming September trip.......but he is coming with us in December........:cheer2: I’m sure desserts will be very prominent in that trip report!!!

I guess you have a sweet tooth then and appreciate the dessert images then...........:D

Oh I actually felt really sad for you writing about your last day, nothing worse but the good news is not long till you are off on your next one! and 2 weeks for us too

The houses round there were lovely.........we have seen so many areas there that are beautiful!! Tempting.

No, Kyle won’t be with us this coming September trip.......but he is coming with us in December........:cheer2: I’m sure desserts will be very prominent in that trip report!!!

I guess you have a sweet tooth then and appreciate the dessert images then...........:D
Well I guess I can wait until December for dessert:rotfl:Wishful thinking for September??

What's so funny is I don't even like dessert, especially dislike cake. But Kyle makes it look delicious....maybe it's just sentimental because he seems to love it so much. Reminds me of my Mom, kids and my late brother and their love of desserts.
My Mom makes a killer hot fudge cake....still a baker at 90!

Oh I actually felt really sad for you writing about your last day, nothing worse but the good news is not long till you are off on your next one! and 2 weeks for us too

Last full days are so bittersweet.......but, yes it does help now we don’t have that many weeks between trips......by the time we are back it will only have been 7 weeks since we were there.........big difference from a year between trips......

2 weeks will fly by Matt.......look forward to hopefully catching up with both of you.........:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter