• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Poll: What will happen with Grand Floridian Resale prices?

What will happen with Grand Floridian Resale prices?

• Drop to 180-190 per point

Votes: 14 7.8%
  • Drop to 170-180 per point

Votes: 36 20.1%
  • Drop to 160-170 per point

Votes: 75 41.9%
  • Drop to 150-160 per point

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • Lower

Votes: 7 3.9%

• Total voters
I haven’t bought resale in 20 years, so haven‘t been paying attention to resale rules. Am currently in the process of buying a small VGF2 contract direct. But am curious as to what the current rules are regarding points bought via resale. Are they all now restricted from using those resale points at non-home resorts? Thought someone mentioned that earlier in this thread.

I haven’t bought resale in 20 years, so haven‘t been paying attention to resale rules. Am currently in the process of buying a small VGF2 contract direct. But am curious as to what the current rules are regarding points bought via resale. Are they all now restricted from using those resale points at non-home resorts? Thought someone mentioned that earlier in this thread.
Riviera resale can only be used at Riviera.

All other resorts can be used at all resorts except Riviera.

If you don't like Riviera, resale is functionally no different than Direct.

Resale points at Riviera can only be used at RIviera. Resale points bought at all the other resorts are good at all the original resorts but are restricted from use at RIV and any future resorts that are built.

Currently resale will not give you the Blue Card, it will also not allow you to book Riviera or any new resort moving forward and you can not use your points for Disney Cruises, Concierge Collection or Adventure by Disney.
Riviera resale only allows you to book Riviera and no other resort.

Resale points that were purchased after January 6, 2019 cannot be used at RIV or any new resorts. RIV resale points can only be used at RIV.

Currently resale will not give you the Blue Card, it will also not allow you to book Riviera or any new resort moving forward and you can not use your points for Disney Cruises, Concierge Collection or Adventure by Disney.
Riviera resale only allows you to book Riviera and no other resort.
Might be worth adding that resale points CAN be used for Interval exchanges.

Resale points at Riviera can only be used at RIviera. Resale points bought at all the other resorts are good at all the original resorts but are restricted from use at RIV and any future resorts that are built.

Ah, thank you! I knew about the RIV restriction, but had missed that other impt tidbit! I don’t think I’d want to box myself in that way.

I already have a blue card, but am looking to add our grown sons onto a new contract so they can become DCV blue card members, so am glad I didn’t go resale. But can certainly see how the price reduction might be worth it for some. Should be interesting to see where the VGF resale pricing goes.

You should probably change your screen name to "KingLear" now...
We did 2x125 at Riviera, and now I wish we'd bought 2x150, or 2x200... (this is what happens when you tour a GV)

I'll pass on the name change. That ends very poorly for King Lear.

Is anyone surprised that there are still a number of VGF listings for $190+ on the resale market? We want to buy a small contract and know that we'll pay a premium for the lower points, but $220 per point (fully loaded) for 50 pts still seems nuts! Even some are $190 not fully loaded. Anyone think it's even worth while to make a lower offer? I'm thinking $160-$170? I don't want to sound offensive but it seems like sellers aren't adjusting.... thoughts?

Is anyone surprised that there are still a number of VGF listings for $190+ on the resale market? We want to buy a small contract and know that we'll pay a premium for the lower points, but $220 per point (fully loaded) for 50 pts still seems nuts! Even some are $190 not fully loaded. Anyone think it's even worth while to make a lower offer? I'm thinking $160-$170? I don't want to sound offensive but it seems like sellers aren't adjusting.... thoughts?
It’s a little surprising, but it also hasn’t been that long.

If these people aren’t in a hurry to sell, then they may keep waiting to see if someone is willing to come closer to those prices rather than going direct.

If they sit there for a few more months, you might see more attitudes change.

Just put in the offer and if they decline then move on to the next one. It’s the brokers’ job to let them know the state of the market and sellers can decide to take their listings off or hope that some uninformed buyer bites. I and several others in the ROFR thread have accepted (and passed ROFR) in the 158-170/pt range. I was making 150/pt offers when they were still listed in the 220pt range, most declined but found one that eventually did!

It’s a little surprising, but it also hasn’t been that long.

If these people aren’t in a hurry to sell, then they may keep waiting to see if someone is willing to come closer to those prices rather than going direct.

If they sit there for a few more months, you might see more attitudes change.
Or, in a few months when incentives diminish and the direct price goes up, sellers might actually get closer to their asking price.

I’ve noticed there are very few VGF resale contracts at the moment which I think is smart to wait it out until VGF sells out which is what we’re doing.
We have a 190 point contract April use year that will be fully loaded when we list it. Thats when we’ll be able to get a maximum price for our contract.
My guess is VGF will sell out in 18-24 months from when resales began and direct prices will hit somewhere between $275-$300pp

In my opinion, the spread's gotta be better than $17/pt (~2500 bucks for 150 points) to forego blue card perks and unrestricted points for the life of the contract.
Yeah, I agree, but if a buyer doesn’t care about booking new DVC properties or blue card benefits, the $2500 is better than nothing. And if the price is $180, that’s an extra 4K in the buyer’s pocket, which many will find attractive. Everyone seems to think that sellers are being irrational or ridiculous by not reducing their price to what current buyers are willing to pay, that brokers just aren’t doing their jobs with so many high priced contracts on the market. But maybe a lower price point isn’t realistic if only a few sellers are willing to reduce, so it’s the buyers who might have to face a higher priced VGF new resale normal.

Still a small VGF at $190 is pretty good if your a new buyer. Minimum is 150 pts. At $207 that’s a pretty good chunk of cash.
Thing is, I am not sure how many new members will be buying small VGF contracts. The points chart makes a small contract close to useless. Sub 150 new resale members would likely go for a resort that's better bang for your buck in points. I am imagining the market for small VGF resale is owners adding on. At the current resale price point, you may as well go direct to save months with ROFR and closing and non-restricted points.

Yeah, I agree, but if a buyer doesn’t care about booking new DVC properties or blue card benefits, the $2500 is better than nothing. And if the price is $180, that’s an extra 4K in the buyer’s pocket, which many will find attractive. Everyone seems to think that sellers are being irrational or ridiculous by not reducing their price to what current buyers are willing to pay, that brokers just aren’t doing their jobs with so many high priced contracts on the market. But maybe a lower price point isn’t realistic if only a few sellers are willing to reduce, so it’s the buyers who might have to face a higher priced VGF new resale normal.
Agreed that a lower price would be extra savings, but one can recoup that 2500 easily in blue card discounts (although to me the unrestricted points is worth paying extra for me if we’re talking about a 17/pt price difference because who knows what’ll happen in 2042).

I’m in the camp that things sellers are irrational and that brokers aren’t doing their job. And after VGF2 started selling, it was really easy to tell which brokers just simply aren’t informed. I had a broker scoff at my low offers for VGF resale, even telling me that the 207/pt price for VGF2 was only if you’re buying 200+ points. Another told me a contract in the 160/pt range would never pass ROFR (the 125pt I got for $158 did). The main benefit—that brokers advertise—to going resale is the savings versus going direct. So the price has to appeal enough in order to warrant going resale versus the current rate. Contracts for VGF at 190 and up (even ones at 180) are too overpriced, but then again that’s just my opinion but I’m sure most buyers share those sentiments since the majority of the ones priced 190 and up have been sitting on the market for months.

Thing is, I am not sure how many new members will be buying small VGF contracts. The points chart makes a small contract close to useless. Sub 150 new resale members would likely go for a resort that's better bang for your buck in points. I am imagining the market for small VGF resale is owners adding on. At the current resale price point, you may as well go direct to save months with ROFR and closing and non-restricted points.
Say a listing is for 60-65 pts..You can bank and go every couple years for a week in Sept., or 5-6 days other times of the year. Pretty good bang for your buck and minimal dues. It’s all in how you plan to use it. VGF will sell out then one is back to $255+ for a small add on. Gotta think past the present.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter