• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Post your unpopular food opinions

FWIW, I'll explain, because this is actually kind of a running regional controversy in the UK (and absolutely incomprehensible outside of it, which the OP apparently does not know.)

To start with, there is a typo; it's supposed to be "barm" both times. The assertion, essentially, is that a sausage sandwich is better than a bacon sandwich, because a barm is a soft bread roll (it's a north of England name for it, usually from the areas around Liverpool or Manchester. Around Leeds the term can depend a lot on whether you're from an Irish family, because in Ireland, barm is something else entirely; a kind of raisin quickbread.) Also commonly referred to as a bap or a buttie, and normally a wee bit smaller than a Kaiser roll.

To add another layer of confusion for Americans, the bacon in this sort of sandwich is not streaky bacon (what Americans most commonly know as bacon), but a leaner flat-sliced type that is closer to what is known here as Canadian Bacon. In addition, either sandwich is traditionally served with a condiment that most Americans are unfamiliar with, known as Brown sauce. (The most popular brands in the UK are HP and Daddie's Favourite) The closest American thing to brown sauce is probably A1 Sauce, but brown sauce is thicker, spicier and a bit sweeter, and always contains tamarind as one of the ingredients.

This type of sandwich has been popular for donkey's years in the north of England as breakfast food or as a workingman's or packed school lunch. If the sausage in the sausage version is English sausage, then the bacon is usually MUCH better, because English sausage is rather flavourless and contains a LOT of cereal fillers. BTW, the sandwich normally consists of bread, meat and sauce, with maybe a smear of butter to keep it from going soggy; no cheese, and definitely no lettuce and/or tomato.
:thanks: Now that you’ve explained it, even without ever having had either one I can definitely say a bacon barm is better than a sausage barm - no doubt. I also get a chuckle out of the fact that there is no such thing as Canadian bacon in Canada. It’s called back bacon or in the eastern provinces, peameal bacon which itself is weird because it’s so named due to having a cornmeal crust on the outside. We do all love our HP sauce though. :thumbsup2

Watermelon is gross. Just biting into crunchy or mushy sugar water. I don't get it.

Delicious apples. Bite a piece of wax, same thing.

Pumpkin Spice. For the love, just end this obsession already. The pumpkin spice invasion has lasted too long. Move on - apple, maple, something!

Savory salads that mix in fruit. Yuck! I don't want strawberries, mandarin oranges, or cranberries in my salad unless it is a FRUIT salad.

-------- on the flip side ------

Roasted Brussels sprouts are little gifts of deliciousness.

Rueben sandwiches (sub Russian dressing and add spicy mustard) is one of the best hot sandwiches hands down.

The best grilled cheese is with American cheese. (and that is pretty much the only time American "cheese" should be consumed.)

Salt & Vinegar potato chips are the best.

Hard boiled eggs taste like farts. As does anything made with them.
But cookies & cakes taste fabulous and in a lot of cases contain eggs.

Of course in my house we don't use eggs (or dairy) in any of our baked goods.

But cookies & cakes taste fabulous and in a lot of cases contain eggs.

Of course in my house we don't use eggs (or dairy) in any of our baked goods.

I love eggs in general. Hard boiled eggs are an abomination. Hard boiled eggs are nothing at all like eggs used in baking. What a strange comparison. 🤷‍♀️

I love eggs in general. Hard boiled eggs are an abomination. Hard boiled eggs are nothing at all like eggs used in baking. What a strange comparison. 🤷‍♀️
Okay, I guess I miss understood. I took your comment to mean that anything made with EGGS taste like farts.

From reading NotUrsula's post above, I now really want to eat a barm. Even a plain barm sounds delicious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter