Princess Weekend 2021

I got a response from runDisney on the lack of a "Half Marathon Runner Bundle" purchase option ... "We currently do not have information to share on additional runDisney merchandise available for this event that are not currently on our website. The most up-to-date information on what products are available is on our website, as well as additional items being available for purchase at the runDisney Health & Fitness Expo."

So, as it stands now, you can only pre-order runner bundles (mileage magnet, medal replica pin, logo pin) for the 5K or 10k. Weird.
Sounds like a canned general response.

@MATTERHORN , How does the volunteer registration work? I thought about doing that but I wasn’t sure.

You have to create an account through Disney volunteer ambassadors. I'll try to find the link. Typical sign ups (dates aren't released yet this year) for Wine and Dine will be in July, Marathon in September and Princess in November. So I'm anxiously awaiting Wine and Dine sign ups. I'm imagining they'll still have us sign up just in case and then our shifts will be wiped just like Star Wars if needed.

It's very similar to the race sign up process. You hit the button that morning and get into a virtual line. There's no rhyme or reason for that either! Friends and I have all hit the button at the same exact time on 8 different devices and all gotten wait times from 5 minutes to over an hour! The only difference is, it tells you how long until you're in, unlike the endless spinning of the race one! LOL

Then you choose the spots you want of what is there. I'm typically a medals, finish line Powerade, or early water stop person. Depends on how early I want to get up and how early I need to leave, or if I'm running. I pretty much always do race prep a few weeks ahead and I'm usually at Bib Pick Up the first day of the EXPO!

They'll send you your info in the mail of where to meet that day and what time, etc. You show up, they give you a shirt, and you are on your way! It's really a lot of fun, I've met some awesome people and I have such a great time.

I typically cry at medals a few times, especially when someone comes across crying and I medal them. Lots of people ask to take pics with me, some look for me everyday because it's good luck to be *medaled* by the same person! I just feel so happy for each and every last runner, it's such an amazing feeling. Last time, I got a very big, sweaty hug and my short 5'3" was lifted about two feet off the ground by a very tall older man! He was just so excited!!! I imagine things will change now as far as placing medals (we are technically not supposed to put it on you, but if you bow your head toward me, I'm gonna do it), but the process of medals will sadly probably change a bit now due to Covid.

Sorry, I kinda went off track there! Anyway, let me know if you end up signing up!

You have to create an account through Disney volunteer ambassadors. I'll try to find the link. Typical sign ups (dates aren't released yet this year) for Wine and Dine will be in July, Marathon in September and Princess in November. So I'm anxiously awaiting Wine and Dine sign ups. I'm imagining they'll still have us sign up just in case and then our shifts will be wiped just like Star Wars if needed.

It's very similar to the race sign up process. You hit the button that morning and get into a virtual line. There's no rhyme or reason for that either! Friends and I have all hit the button at the same exact time on 8 different devices and all gotten wait times from 5 minutes to over an hour! The only difference is, it tells you how long until you're in, unlike the endless spinning of the race one! LOL

Then you choose the spots you want of what is there. I'm typically a medals, finish line Powerade, or early water stop person. Depends on how early I want to get up and how early I need to leave, or if I'm running. I pretty much always do race prep a few weeks ahead and I'm usually at Bib Pick Up the first day of the EXPO!

They'll send you your info in the mail of where to meet that day and what time, etc. You show up, they give you a shirt, and you are on your way! It's really a lot of fun, I've met some awesome people and I have such a great time.

I typically cry at medals a few times, especially when someone comes across crying and I medal them. Lots of people ask to take pics with me, some look for me everyday because it's good luck to be *medaled* by the same person! I just feel so happy for each and every last runner, it's such an amazing feeling. Last time, I got a very big, sweaty hug and my short 5'3" was lifted about two feet off the ground by a very tall older man! He was just so excited!!! I imagine things will change now as far as placing medals (we are technically not supposed to put it on you, but if you bow your head toward me, I'm gonna do it), but the process of medals will sadly probably change a bit now due to Covid.

Sorry, I kinda went off track there! Anyway, let me know if you end up signing up!
Thank you so much for the info. :) Ohh that sounds like fun... I’m going to have to look into that. I will definitely let you know if I decide to do it. Good luck with the W&D!

Thank you so much for the info. :) Ohh that sounds like fun... I’m going to have to look into that. I will definitely let you know if I decide to do it. Good luck with the W&D!

Thank you! Doing my first Disney 10k, so hope it happens! I had foot surgery in February so just now getting back into any kind of groove doing the Virtual Series! And, even if you don't volunteer, you can always wave or see me when you run or when you're done!!

Sounds like a canned general response.

Yeah and it was the second canned response I got to my question. The first response I got was a long explanation of how to find "buy products" in my runDisney account ... which was not my question! So I followed up, and got... another canned response.

Anyway, all the runner bundles were available for Wine & Dine from the start of early registration, so I dunno why they're not offering them for Princess.

Thank you! Doing my first Disney 10k, so hope it happens! I had foot surgery in February so just now getting back into any kind of groove doing the Virtual Series! And, even if you don't volunteer, you can always wave or see me when you run or when you're done!!
Ohh good luck! I’m running my first race in Jan. A 5k. M y SiL signed up for SW for this past April but well... I wanted to do the Princess race in Feb but my hubby said it would take away from our vacation time in December. Sooo vacation it is LOL! We love the cabins at Fort Wilderness so every year we try and go. We consider it our staycation.

Could you please give us a list of all the volunteer spots that are usually available? I am not interested in volunteering but I am just curious! Thanks :-)

Could you please give us a list of all the volunteer spots that are usually available? I am not interested in volunteering but I am just curious! Thanks :-)

Oh gosh, there are sooo many!
I'll try to remember what I can as there's no actual list unless there's sign up going on. (That I'm aware of, though I'm sure there is one somewhere)

There is race prep, which is usually two days about two weeks ahead of the race. We unpack and bundle medals, bundle shirts, sort shirts by sizes, put together cheer squad packages, etc.

Then there is the EXPO spots. I do bib pick up, but there are also EXPO shopping floor volunteers.

Then you have all the kid's races volunteers.

For the actual races, you have: (shifts start anywhere from 12am, with majority starting around 3am and go until noonish depending on length of race)

Check in and out for volunteers (at EPCOT for 5 and 10, at Wide World of Sports for half and full)
Bag check
Corrals
All water stops and or snack stops along route (picked by mileage, so you would pick Water Stop 1.8 or 9.3) etc.
Food tents (bananas and snack boxes)
Course monitors (directional)
Finish chute monitors (keep people moving toward exit and from backtracking)
Heat Sheets/ Cooling towels depending on temps
Medic Tent
Finish Chute monitors
Powerade/Water finish line
Medals
Bonus Medals (when applicable)
Bus directional

That's all I can think of at this moment!!

Last edited:
Ohh good luck! I’m running my first race in Jan. A 5k. M y SiL signed up for SW for this past April but well... I wanted to do the Princess race in Feb but my hubby said it would take away from our vacation time in December. Sooo vacation it is LOL! We love the cabins at Fort Wilderness so every year we try and go. We consider it our staycation.

Awesome! Congrats on your first race! I'm only volunteering in January since my oldest is doing her first Dopey, so hope to see you at medals!! I did just sign myself up for Princess 5k as a last minute decision.

Staycation? So you live here in Orlando? I'm in Winter Garden!

Exactly this. Others have also found that starting at least one of the devices just after 10:00 is a good practice as well.

This time I chose NOT to hit the button before 10:00. I pressed several minutes early for Marathon weekend and my wife got us registered even though she didn't even hit the button until several minutes after 10 that day. Anyways, for Princess, I was ready at my computer but waited until my iphone said 10:00am and then hit the button. I had all kinds of goofy password issues in the middle of me registering and still was registered/paid (both wife and me) for the challenge by 10:08. It seems to work better now if you don't go in before 10am even if the button is sitting there daring you to press it.

I managed to snag the 5k. I had my logged in and into the que at 9:00. I randomly decided to try on my iPad too. I opened a window around 10 and then another window at 10:05 and got right in. My phone never got in. I'll remember that for next time!

Awesome! Congrats on your first race! I'm only volunteering in January since my oldest is doing her first Dopey, so hope to see you at medals!! I did just sign myself up for Princess 5k as a last minute decision.

Staycation? So you live here in Orlando? I'm in Winter Garden!
Awe!! That’s awesome! Not sure I can do Dopey! I feel a bit too old and out of shape for that.
Hope to see you too. I’ll be dresses as the Cheshire Cat. Got my costume all lined up :)

Yes, I’m a local. We live in Wedgefield. I love it there. Winter Garden is beautiful. Lots of great trails. Thats the only thing missing out here.

Don't suppose Disney greatly reduced the # available for early registration for a) natural COVID reduction; and/or b) Disney would rather sell the slots to people who will pay cash for rooms rather than DVC which essentially isn't new $ for company?

Don't suppose Disney greatly reduced the # available for early registration for a) natural COVID reduction; and/or b) Disney would rather sell the slots to people who will pay cash for rooms rather than DVC which essentially isn't new $ for company?

I think it's mainly A - the number of early registration spots is always way less than regular registration day. With the entire field of bibs almost certainly being cut back, that makes the already small number of early spots even smaller.

Oh gosh, there are sooo many!
I'll try to remember what I can as there's no actual list unless there's sign up going on. (That I'm aware of, though I'm sure there is one somewhere)

There is race prep, which is usually two days about two weeks ahead of the race. We unpack and bundle medals, bundle shirts, sort shirts by sizes, put together cheer squad packages, etc.

Then there is the EXPO spots. I do bib pick up, but there are also EXPO shopping floor volunteers.

Then you have all the kid's races volunteers.

For the actual races, you have: (shifts start anywhere from 12am, with majority starting around 3am and go until noonish depending on length of race)

Check in and out for volunteers (at EPCOT for 5 and 10, at Wide World of Sports for half and full)
Bag check
Corrals
All water stops and or snack stops along route (picked by mileage, so you would pick Water Stop 1.8 or 9.3) etc.
Food tents (bananas and snack boxes)
Course monitors (directional)
Finish chute monitors (keep people moving toward exit and from backtracking)
Heat Sheets/ Cooling towels depending on temps
Medic Tent
Finish Chute monitors
Powerade/Water finish line
Medals
Bonus Medals (when applicable)
Bus directional

That's all I can think of at this moment!!

Wow, thanks for the list. That's very interesting!!

Exactly this. Others have also found that starting at least one of the devices just after 10:00 is a good practice as well.
This!!! Clicking before 10, even if the link appears is a bad idea. It puts you in an endless wait. I clicked at 10:01, spun about 30 seconds and was in for all 3.

Is it too early to predict race themes? I think Beauty and the Beast will be either the Half theme or the Challenge one given it's the 30th anniversary.

Stagger when you open the devices. Don’t start them all at 9:55AM. Spreads out your levels in the “queue”

I should have been a little clearer...I started at 9:55am but by 10:05 when I didn't get in I started the 2nd and then sometime between 10:10-10:15 I started the 3rd. By 10:28am I got through on the first one and yeah challenge was sold out :( Just wasn't my day :) We shall see on Tues.

Can someone please point me in the direction of how to learn more about running for a charity for Princess?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter