Teenage boy

I think the phrase in question was "before you use it". Look at the post they quoted, and the segment they bolded.

and then the rest of the sentence says “as a comparison to sex” the WHOLE sentence isn’t about sex. The first part is about knowing where a toothbrush has been before you use IT (the TOOTHBRUSH).

Ok whatever, excuse me for bringing my 2 cents to a group that wants to throw condoms around like confetti.

I pointed out my sentence meaning and we had to go finding article references. Now I know who the people are that do make those wacky threat phone calls I read about in another thread.

Right? Don't they teach sex ed in schools anymore? :confused3
It depends on where you live. Abstinence only states don't teach actual science or talk about birth control. That is why the unintended pregnancy rate is higher in those states.

Universities generally have free condoms available, but it wouldn't hurt to throw a box in stuff when they are packing up to go.

and then the rest of the sentence says “as a comparison to sex” the WHOLE sentence isn’t about sex. The first part is about knowing where a toothbrush has been before you use IT (the TOOTHBRUSH).
Insinuating what? If the "toothbrush" has been used before, it's gross and worthless. Yes I would have a HUGE problem with a school trying to teach that to my kids.

Insinuating what? If the "toothbrush" has been used before, it's gross and worthless. Yes I would have a HUGE problem with a school trying to teach that to my kids.
I’ve heard of another lesson where the students pass a cookie around the whole class and then are asked if anyone wants to eat it. Fortunately our schools start in middle school and they are very graphic STD chapters.

I brought it up casually when my then high school senior son and I were in the car talking about things we still needed to get for him for college.
I asked if we should add condoms to the list. He laughed and said he would get them on his own if he needed them.
I felt I had done my mom-duty, but kept the awkwardness to a minimum.
This is the exact same thing I did with my son, and I got an identical response. I was ok with that!

ETA: Throughout my children’s growing up we’d talked about the morality aspect of sex. They were well schooled in this area, but I am also a realist.

The Walmart closest to me though you have to push a button which calls an attendant to unlock the case that has those and other things related to it. After a while of having to wait an eternity for an attendant I just started going across the street to CVS where it's just out in the aisles. I don't believe all the Walmarts around me are like that either and can only assume it's an anti-theft measure as the hairdryers are also under lock and key.
Have you heard of the British euphemism, ‘Something for the weekend, Sir?’.

Ok whatever, excuse me for bringing my 2 cents to a group that wants to throw condoms around like confetti.

When my sons when to a major university in our state- guess what they had a freshman orientation. A thing was to walk on some bridge and people threw condoms. Rainbow of neon colors. As a parent it’s your choice if you want to give your child the ability to get birth control or end up babysitting a grandchild while hopefully that child finishes school.

Do you think it’s too embarrassing (for the teen that has been private about girls, but is getting serious about one and about to go to college) to buy some protection for him and just leave it in his room.

This was so much easier with my daughter (or at least that’s how I remember 😂 it’s been 8 years)
I would buy it, have a conversation with him and as uncomfortable as it is I'd make sure they knew how to use one (ise a banana:)) Seriously not only to make sure they know how to use it, but also I think ppl are naturally more likely to do somethinh/use something if the more familiar they are with it.

Yes it's uncomfortable and not fun, but I did this with my 17 year old son about a year and a half ago when he had a serious gf. I'd also explain and reiterate the importance of using one even if the girl is/says she's on birth control. So many reasons to use protection.

Can’t he buy his own?
Just because someone can doesn't mean they will. He's 18, while I'd love if all 18 year olds were that thoughtful etc., reality is most 18 year olds don't think anything will happen to them etc and they may be too embarrassed to buy protection. When I was 18 I was in both those camps.

Why did you wait so long? Kids have sex in high school you know. I’m glad I don’t hav issues telling my kids what’s what I’m this regard. I don’t believe my kids are angels. Most kids will play around with sex when the opportunity presents itself. I tell my son to be careful where he puts it. And my daughter, be careful just in case that boy becomes your baby’s daddy!

DD start BCP at 15. Son has condoms available at 16.

I’ve heard of another lesson where the students pass a cookie around the whole class and then are asked if anyone wants to eat it. Fortunately our schools start in middle school and they are very graphic STD chapters.

And people wonder why people in the USA are so hung up over sex. I'm all for people being abstinent if that's why they want, but to compare non-abstinent teens to gross worthless toothbrushes or manhandled cookies is disgusting.

And people wonder why people in the USA are so hung up over sex. I'm all for people being abstinent if that's why they want, but to compare non-abstinent teens to gross worthless toothbrushes or manhandled cookies is disgusting.
It’s not everyone. But we have our share of it. I think kids can understand how to keep themselves safe. I talk to my kids about making wise decisions. That involves how to keep themselves safe from pregnancy and STDs, but also how to protect their heart. They are going to experiment. I want them to be safe.

I agree, the comparisons that were made were judgemental and completely uncalled for.

Which is exactly my point. Just because a boy or girl has the INFORMATION about BC doesn't mean they have ACCESS to it.
Sex Education can very reasonably be expected to include where and how to get birth control. Are you saying these people without ready access to condoms also do not have access to a retail store, or drugstore, or convenience store?

As a parent it’s your choice if you want to give your child the ability to get birth control or end up babysitting a grandchild while hopefully that child finishes school.
With all due respect, there's nothing that says if you don't give you child BC, you'll end up babysitting a grandchild while your child finishes school. There are way more than those two options.

I see very little downside to OP's idea. You know, when I was younger I do believe at least a few condoms that had been tossed to non-sexually active classmates by their parents got handed out to friends and eventually ended up in the pockets of those that needed them. It might be embarrassing for him and he might not even need them, but even then they might end up with those in need of them.

Better to have it then not need it, rather than need it and not have it.

Sex Education can very reasonably be expected to include where and how to get birth control. Are you saying these people without ready access to condoms also do not have access to a retail store, or drugstore, or convenience store?

You would think so, but no, unfortunately it does not. There are vast swaths of the US where abstinence-only is the policy, maybe combined with one of those "having sex makes you a dirty sloot" exercises where an unwrapped piece of candy is passed around, as referenced upthread.

I just ran out of antacid today, even though I knew I'd been getting low all week. People can be dumb. Kids can be really dumb. A kid in the heat of the moment may reach previously uncharted levels of stupidity. :laughing:

There's a big difference between having a Walgreens 2 blocks from campus and having a box thrown in a drawer in your room. In which scenario is the condom most likely to actually get used?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter