The Disney Wish, what are you wishing for?

You know the "puck" can be removed from magic bands and worn around the neck just like a key in lanyard. I would definitely like the magic band option. They already make my kids wear one for the club, so it is silly they have to have a separate card for the room key.
I want mine in a badge holder clipped to my pants or in my pocket. That sounds too easy to lose / too hard to clip in.

It would also be cool if they had electronic “frames” around the ship that rotated through artwork kids in the classes and clubs made. Or played little animated shorts that the kids created with video animation, sketch animation, claymation, etc.
That would be amazing!

My wish for the Wish would be:
- Mexican quick service style food. Three street tacos please!
- Asian quick service style food or a Palo/Remy type of restaurant. There are so many different cuisines that I'd like to see: Japanese, Filipino, Korean, Indian, Thai, and/or Chinese.
- ICEE/Slurpie style machine
- More itineraries. Don't care which ship goes where, but expand the inventory of itineraries.
-- More Southern Caribbean out of Puerto Rico. Curacao, Aruba, etc.
-- Go to the west coast earlier in the season and go to Hawaii out of San Diego, stopping at Ensenada, Mexico first. Do this more than once a season. Do this before and after Alaska.
-- Still do the Panama Canal crossing. This is my favorite (and first) DCL cruise. Maybe the Magic could do this, too.
-- Go to Bermuda as well as Nassau for 4 day cruises. Still go to Castaway Cay or Lighthouse Point.
-- Go to Asia and Australia
-- Go to South America. An Amazon River cruise would be cool. Cunard Line does one.
-- Go to Morocco and Canary Islands and Gibraltar during the European season.

May be too big, I think only the classic ships can "squeeze through".
Not anymore with the new Expanded Panama Canal locks opened in 2016 (2017 for cruise ships) are 1400 ft long 180ft wide, all the Disney cruise line ships (including the Disney Wish at 1100ft long 135ft wide) can now fit in the new Expanded locks. In 2016 the Wonder underwent a refurbishment in Cadiz, Spain where they added the bouyancy compensator to the stern of the ship lengthening it to be around 25 ft too long for the OLD Panama Canal locks but on the 2017 Westbound Panama Canal trip the Wonder was officially the 1st Passenger cruise ship to transit the NEW Expanded locks ushering in a new possibility for ANY Disney ship to transit the Panama Canal.

Not anymore with the new Expanded Panama Canal locks opened in 2016 (2017 for cruise ships) are 1400 ft long 180ft wide, all the Disney cruise line ships (including the Disney Wish at 1100ft long 135ft wide) can now fit in the new Expanded locks. In 2016 the Wonder underwent a refurbishment in Cadiz, Spain where they added the bouyancy compensator to the stern of the ship lengthening it to be around 25 ft too long for the OLD Panama Canal locks but on the 2017 Westbound Panama Canal trip the Wonder was officially the 1st Passenger cruise ship to transit the NEW Expanded locks ushering in a new possibility for ANY Disney ship to transit the Panama Canal.

Good to know. That would be crazy to see the Dream or Fantasy doing an Alaska sailing.

Good to know. That would be crazy to see the Dream or Fantasy doing an Alaska sailing.

Alaska might be a stretch but the Dream or Fantasy could easily do the Mexican Riviera. I know Carnival has a similar sized ship that does those trips. Or did those trips lol

My wish for the Wish would be:
- Mexican quick service style food. Three street tacos please!
- Asian quick service style food or a Palo/Remy type of restaurant. There are so many different cuisines that I'd like to see: Japanese, Filipino, Korean, Indian, Thai, and/or Chinese.
- ICEE/Slurpie style machine
- More itineraries. Don't care which ship goes where, but expand the inventory of itineraries.
-- More Southern Caribbean out of Puerto Rico. Curacao, Aruba, etc.
-- Go to the west coast earlier in the season and go to Hawaii out of San Diego, stopping at Ensenada, Mexico first. Do this more than once a season. Do this before and after Alaska.
-- Still do the Panama Canal crossing. This is my favorite (and first) DCL cruise. Maybe the Magic could do this, too.
-- Go to Bermuda as well as Nassau for 4 day cruises. Still go to Castaway Cay or Lighthouse Point.
-- Go to Asia and Australia
-- Go to South America. An Amazon River cruise would be cool. Cunard Line does one.
-- Go to Morocco and Canary Islands and Gibraltar during the European season.

1. Definitely would like more options than just the buffet and pool side bars. When I went on the Norwegian Breakaway, they had this Irish pub that was centrally located, complementary and had lots of choices. Something like that would work really well on DCL. It was typical bar food so everyone can find something they like. And they had some other places too for more options. I doubt Disney would make it 24 hours like NCL, but it would still work. I liked how you had so many choices for eating throughout the day, other than the buffet which can get old sometimes, and given the current situation, is much less appealing. It feels weird saying this on a Disney website, but NCL did a great job with dining

2. I think I mentioned this before, but maybe an upcharge restaurant that is nicer/quieter than the main dining rooms, but not quite as upscale as Palo/Remy. Like a traditional steak house or Japanese or Chinese restaurant like you mentioned. And it could allow families to still go to a nicer meal together. Maybe have it 16+ instead of 18+.

3. I bet eventually Disney will put a permanent ship out West. Either one of the newer ones planned or the Wonder. And then the other could still do it seasonally. Those Panama Canal cruises are popular, so I don't think Disney would completely get rid of them. Now that the larger ships can go through the Canal, this becomes a likely scenario I think. Dream and Fantasy could easily do the Mexican Riviera, but Alaska is still probably a better itinerary for a smaller ship like the Wonder.

4. I'd love to go to Bermuda with Disney. My cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway was to Bermuda and it was awesome. It terms of activities and culture, it's somewhat similar to the Caribbean so it would fit Disney's target audience. You could do it from New York for 7 nights (that's what I did). PC would probably work too.

5. I know this is a long shot because of Disney's brand but I wish (lol) Disney would introduce some type of drink package. I get that a lot of people don't want to be about cruisers who have been too overserved, but it is so nice to prepay for your drinks and not have to worry about a tab on your account. Maybe limit it to X amount per day, but we did this on again that NCL cruise and it really made it feel like a vacation not having to worry about the tab. Of course, they can always cut you off if it's a problem. Which I saw bartenders do.

1. Definitely would like more options than just the buffet and pool side bars. When I went on the Norwegian Breakaway, they had this Irish pub that was centrally located, complementary and had lots of choices. Something like that would work really well on DCL. It was typical bar food so everyone can find something they like. And they had some other places too for more options. I doubt Disney would make it 24 hours like NCL, but it would still work. I liked how you had so many choices for eating throughout the day, other than the buffet which can get old sometimes, and given the current situation, is much less appealing. It feels weird saying this on a Disney website, but NCL did a great job with dining

2. I think I mentioned this before, but maybe an upcharge restaurant that is nicer/quieter than the main dining rooms, but not quite as upscale as Palo/Remy. Like a traditional steak house or Japanese or Chinese restaurant like you mentioned. And it could allow families to still go to a nicer meal together. Maybe have it 16+ instead of 18+.

3. I bet eventually Disney will put a permanent ship out West. Either one of the newer ones planned or the Wonder. And then the other could still do it seasonally. Those Panama Canal cruises are popular, so I don't think Disney would completely get rid of them. Now that the larger ships can go through the Canal, this becomes a likely scenario I think. Dream and Fantasy could easily do the Mexican Riviera, but Alaska is still probably a better itinerary for a smaller ship like the Wonder.

4. I'd love to go to Bermuda with Disney. My cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway was to Bermuda and it was awesome. It terms of activities and culture, it's somewhat similar to the Caribbean so it would fit Disney's target audience. You could do it from New York for 7 nights (that's what I did). PC would probably work too.

5. I know this is a long shot because of Disney's brand but I wish (lol) Disney would introduce some type of drink package. I get that a lot of people don't want to be about cruisers who have been too overserved, but it is so nice to prepay for your drinks and not have to worry about a tab on your account. Maybe limit it to X amount per day, but we did this on again that NCL cruise and it really made it feel like a vacation not having to worry about the tab. Of course, they can always cut you off if it's a problem. Which I saw bartenders do.
Well with the current situation, I'd say buffet's are going to be a thing of the past. At least for the foreseeable future.

The possibility of a ship being based on the West Coast has been talked about since the announcement of the new ships, it's all still speculation, but it could happen, with the West Coast based ship making a Panama Canal transit both east/west even a couple of times a year, it's a super popular itinerary, at least for DCL as it's the longest duration of days on board DCL has currently.

And yes the Wonder is likely still going to be the ship used for the Alaskan Season since she's got a enclosed concierge lounge and as the larger ships are not able to port in some of the current ports of call due to restrictions of harbor depths or pier sizes. The Dream or Fantasy COULD be tasked with doing additional Panama Canal transits but it would probably be cost prohibitive, as the tolls for the larger ship would probably drive the fares up to the point of making them undesirable for most DCL fans.

Drink packages are probably a no go, since they offer virtually every thing non alcoholic for free, (with the exception of smoothies and specialty coffee's) they need to make keep their profit margin on alcohol in place so discounted packages are probably unlikely, if they do they might have to start charging for other beverages too.

I've seen this thread around for a while and could never really think of anything to add. Today being the anniversary of a cruise I took 9 years ago with NCL had me looking at pictures and reminded me of something they had, that I thought was great. I'd love to see DCL build stadium seating for lounge chairs at the pool. I've never had much of a problem finding a chair at the adult pool/sun deck on the newer ships but there were times it was tough when I've sailed on the Magic and Wonder. The stadium seating offers many rows of unobstructed sun.

What is served on the ship is a Dole Whip only by name. It is not what is beloved by WDW fans. Onboard, they serve a pineapple slushy made with juice and fruit. A ‘real’ Dole Whip is made from a Dole pre-mix, rehydrated then served through a soft-serve machine.

If they served real Dole Whips onboard, my onboard spending would increase significantly.

This is not true on the Dream and Fantasy. On both those ships they serve real Dole Whip, made from the same powdered mix + water that is used in the parks. The difference is in the machine that is used to mix it, which results in a slightly different consistency [the parks get it colder therefore more "solid" than on the ship where it is softer].

Due to food allergies I asked about ingredients and was shown the actual powder mix package on both ships.

I can't speak to the Magic or Wonder because I haven't sailed them.

One of my wishes for the Wish is that they have Dole Whip there too :-)

SW

I travel with people who LOVE to drink. This last time we sailed on the Dream, we got to know the bar service staff in Pink really well and just talked about everything. I asked about this, and they said never to expect offering drink packages on Disney Ships. Most people think its the costs but the bartender said that drink packages don't attract the type of clientele they want on board and create a "drink to get drunk/how many can I drink" atmosphere that goes against the family reputation of the cruise line.

Thinking back to some of the other cruises I've done (Specifically one on Norwegian that was a 3 day booze cruise disaster), this idea makes perfect sense. Obviously people are still going to drink to excess if they want to, but the alcohol packages send the wrong message and create the wrong environment.

One thing I would LOVE is if they would do drink of the day specials that are more... Traditional. Every time I've tried the drink its some crazy sugary drink. Tasty, but the hangover is not something to look forward to.

I've seen multiple posts now wishing to go to Bermuda. Is that wishing to go on the Wish? Because DCL does do a Bermuda sailing out of NYC on the Magic. It was my first (and so far only) DCL cruise, and it was great! We loved Bermuda and the ease of sailing out of Manhattan. My 'wish' is actually that once the Wish is in the rotational mix please keep the Magic in NYC later in the season. We like Merrytime and MDAS up north, too!!

I travel with people who LOVE to drink. This last time we sailed on the Dream, we got to know the bar service staff in Pink really well and just talked about everything. I asked about this, and they said never to expect offering drink packages on Disney Ships. Most people think its the costs but the bartender said that drink packages don't attract the type of clientele they want on board and create a "drink to get drunk/how many can I drink" atmosphere that goes against the family reputation of the cruise line.

Thinking back to some of the other cruises I've done (Specifically one on Norwegian that was a 3 day booze cruise disaster), this idea makes perfect sense. Obviously people are still going to drink to excess if they want to, but the alcohol packages send the wrong message and create the wrong environment.

One thing I would LOVE is if they would do drink of the day specials that are more... Traditional. Every time I've tried the drink its some crazy sugary drink. Tasty, but the hangover is not something to look forward to.

Yeah that was my thought process as well. And I totally get that. I just wish there was a way to "prepay" for my drinks. I didn't look at the tab once on my NCL cruise and it made me spoiled lol. It was a week long cruise and so while there was plenty to go around, it wasn't one of those booze cruises to Nassau and back

Since a lot of requests for late night activities have been mentioned, I'd like to give a plug for MORE EARLY RISER FRIENDLY ACTIVITIES! Every time I have traveled with my DDs (who have been 6am risers since birth), I have to walk around the pool decks with nothing to do until Cabanas opens or they get tired. The pools open way too late, nothing is on the Funnel Vision, and it's a ghost town. But I guess that crew needs sleep too! :D We'll see when we go back if they sleep in a bit more. I've always been on cruises where they offered a bonus 2(ish?) showing of the shows. My kids could never stay up for the shows, when we prioritize dinner.
Same here!!! 100% wish for this!

Question for everyone: in terms of Main Dining, what would people like to see (themes, cuisine, logistical changes, etc...)?

Gotta admit, while it is a Disney Cruise after all, I'm personally not a huge fan of the extremely character-centric MDR concepts of late. I much prefer the elegantly themed Enchanted Garden or Royal Court/Palace (one of my favorite restaurants on any cruise ship) or even Triton's to RRT or Tiana's. Not everybody needs Rapunzel or Tiana coming to their table and singing. Those that want that can go to the Character Greetings or perhaps DCL could offer some sort of Character Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner option. It just seems kind of "cheap" or a shortcut to satisfy people and takes away from the sort of timeless elegance that I think makes the Disney ships special (and particularly appealing for the adults). That subtle theming can go a long way. I have no issue at all with Disney movie-inspired restaurants (like a Lady and the Tramp-themed Italian restaurant) I always felt like Animator's Palette was a good middle ground. To me, RRT and TP seem like they'd be a better fit in MK or DHS than on a cruise ship. Not every corner of the ship needs to be bathed with characters in your face. I do completely agree that it'd be nice for Wish's two "sister" ships to have different MDRs (unlike what they did with the Dream and Fantasy). I promise I do love the characters; just I find there are many people who'd rather not have Rapunzel asking them about their dreams while they try to eat. Of course, one look at the atrium concept art for the Wish, and it's clear Bob Chapek has a very different vision haha.
It's funny how we all like something different, I absolutely loved RRT, I think it's my new favorite. I also really like TP. I like there is a mix of both classic and fun on the ships.

Question for everyone: in terms of Main Dining, what would people like to see (themes, cuisine, logistical changes, etc...)?

Gotta admit, while it is a Disney Cruise after all, I'm personally not a huge fan of the extremely character-centric MDR concepts of late. I much prefer the elegantly themed Enchanted Garden or Royal Court/Palace (one of my favorite restaurants on any cruise ship) or even Triton's to RRT or Tiana's. Not everybody needs Rapunzel or Tiana coming to their table and singing. Those that want that can go to the Character Greetings or perhaps DCL could offer some sort of Character Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner option. It just seems kind of "cheap" or a shortcut to satisfy people and takes away from the sort of timeless elegance that I think makes the Disney ships special (and particularly appealing for the adults). That subtle theming can go a long way. I have no issue at all with Disney movie-inspired restaurants (like a Lady and the Tramp-themed Italian restaurant) I always felt like Animator's Palette was a good middle ground. To me, RRT and TP seem like they'd be a better fit in MK or DHS than on a cruise ship. Not every corner of the ship needs to be bathed with characters in your face. I do completely agree that it'd be nice for Wish's two "sister" ships to have different MDRs (unlike what they did with the Dream and Fantasy). I promise I do love the characters; just I find there are many people who'd rather not have Rapunzel asking them about their dreams while they try to eat. Of course, one look at the atrium concept art for the Wish, and it's clear Bob Chapek has a very different vision haha.

I agree. While I haven't been on the Magic and Wonder to experience those restaurants, I'm not sure how much I would like it (when I was on the Wonder, Parrot Cay was still around). Of course you're going to have characters on a Disney ship; that's not what bothers me. It just looked a little over the top. But I haven't seen those films (yet) so maybe it's because I don't get the references

I would keep the restaurants similar to what they are on the D and F. Keep AP (which was my fav on the Wonder) and then two subtle themed restaurants after a Disney film. And then add some alternative options for those not wanting to go to the MDR. Also bring Palo and Remy, plus an additional surcharge restaurant. I said this above but something nicer than the MDR's but not as fancy as Palo/Remy. So basically more options all around. I loved the MDRs on the Wonder when I went but there was one night where we just didn't feel like doing the full on dining room experience. Dining is one of the best parts of DCL and they do a good job with the food itself. But sometimes it feels a bit limited in terms of choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter