The Running Thread - 2018

It's finally Friday and time for our Fun Friday QOTD!! Since I mentioned it a few post ago I want to know what everyone's thoughts are on getting one of the celebrating type buttons while at the parks. Do you think to get one the event your celebrating has to fall on the exact date, withing the week, or a longer period of time?

For me, I don't think it's a timing rule, but rather a purpose rule. If your purpose of going to Disney is to celebrate your anniversary, then it is very appropriate to allow others to celebrate with you regardless of when your actual anniversary is/was.

It's finally Friday and time for our Fun Friday QOTD!! Since I mentioned it a few post ago I want to know what everyone's thoughts are on getting one of the celebrating type buttons while at the parks. Do you think to get one the event your celebrating has to fall on the exact date, withing the week, or a longer period of time?

I do not care if you planned the trip from your back porch on your anniversary and go 3 months later, it is an anniversary trip. We were asked 'will you be celebrating anything on this trip' when we booked Aulani. Yes, we begin the trip, not at aulani, on our anniversary, and my parents, paying for the first hotel not at disney will also celebrate their anniversary. Neither is the reason for the trip (I want to, I can, it falls over a work shut down), but they asked if I will be celebrating and I will. I expect nothing for this but a great trip, which I would have expected anyhow.
Regarding the buttons, we did not get them for our kids first trip as we thought it a safety hazard for little people. When we went to DL decked out in our Cars themed attire (left over from halloween), a CM stopped us and asked me to wait while he went to get us buttons that said we were celebrating "Lightning" "Sally" "Flo" and "Mater" I thought it was really kind and unexpected. And we did wear them for a bit and were greeted as characters while we walked around. We had grandma and grandpa watch the kids for an evening and we ran to AK, giddy and excited, a CM asked about our night and we told him it was our first park night without tots, he gave us a button that said we were celebrating "freedom!" and "kids with grandparents!" which got cheers from others, and a free drink later in the evening. So, I do not think they are stingy with the buttons. They are kind of fun, and elicit smiles and greetings which are always welcome.

For me, I don't think it's a timing rule, but rather a purpose rule. If your purpose of going to Disney is to celebrate your anniversary, then it is very appropriate to allow others to celebrate with you regardless of when your actual anniversary is/was.
TOTALLY!! This trip in August is for our 10 year anniversary AND to celebrate the year that both DH and I turn 40. The anniversary is actually in August, our birthdays are not. We will get pins for the anniversary and have a meal dedicated to this event. But we also have planned nights out to celebrate our birthdays (at each of our favourite restaurants) but we will keep the purpose of those celebrations quiet.

July 4- TheHamm - Firecracker 5K - (34:00/ N/A)

My daily run of the same length has been just over 35, so I am hopeful the weather.com graphic showing I live under the 'ring of fire' does not apply to the holiday morning, and that with a course more flat than my normal route I can make the 34 minutes, which would be just barely a PR. I have no basis for picking goal times, I might as well be a random number generator, but I keep thinking I still have a lot of day to go after that, so no need to push too hard, just enough to make up for the calories I will consume in beer, hot dogs, and bomb pops.

I agree with @opusone ...it is more the spirit of the button than anything else. We always take the kids to WDW in May for their "birthday" trip, even though my son's birthday is late March. He is more likely to wear his button than my daughter, who usually has her birthday within a week of our trip. He soaks up the birthday wishes for a day or two before the novelty wears off and the button gets tossed in a suitcase.

Fun Friday:

My birthday is Jan. 3, so with Marathon Weekend being super early the last couple years I have been in the parks on my birthday. Honestly, I have no idea how I would have gone about getting a button and wouldn't like the extra attention associated with it. But that's just me. If the button will bring anyone in the group happiness or make the trip more enjoyable, I say button away.

ETA: Having any type of extra attention, particularly in the form of a song, thrust upon me during a meal is my nightmare. So if I'm out on my birthday the best gift is for people not to acknowledge that it's my birthday.

Sports bra: I very rarely ran in just a sports bra before kids, but now I have an abdominal hernia after the first that only got worst after the 2nd - so that's not a pretty sight. I do run in a sports bra on my treadmill though. Also I don't care what anyone else wears although I'm jealous of the guys who wear no shirt. But sometimes I fear for their possible wicked sunburns.

Weather: I live in a temperate region, so low 40s - low 90s is the most extreme I've run in, but now I refuse to run in the high 80s unless I'm very desperate. Would rather run in the cold (but nothing lower than 40s).

@LSUlakes congrats on 9 years! I agree with @opusone the intention of the visit is what counts.

ATTQOTD: I say get the button. No one is going to ask for your marriage certificate for proof of the date. ;) The trip is intended to celebrate your anniversary, even if the date is not exactly in the week.

I got a button once, although it was actually on my birthday just because it lined up like that, we were there the same week as my birthday for a holiday season trip (first week in December). I only wore it on my actual birthday... for some reason I felt weird about wearing a birthday button on the other days that weren't my birthday, although I would have no qualms about wearing an anniversary one more days... other than the fact that I don't like wearing buttons/pins on my clothes. :) I think I pinned my birthday button to my baseball cap. I also use RaceDots for my race bibs... NO PINS! :)

I think exact date and within a week are fine. Celebrating much longer than that is a bit weird to me.

I agree with wearing the button! We also do it based on the purpose of the trip and if it's to celebrate something. I like the extra little interactions with cast members.

No shirtless for me. Even if I was in better shape I don't think I would. I don't care if other people do.

On a side note, I booked my first ever trip to Disneyland. I'll be going for a long weekend at the end of October. I'm excited to see the differences!

I visited DL for the first time last year--I kept getting told by a lot of people how much smaller it is, how much less immersive, how much less everything. And, granted, it's a smaller property with just the two parks, but we kept ourselves very happily occupied for three full days and two partial ones. I didn't feel any less "immersed" than I do at the WDW parks, and would probably be just as happy to do DL again as WDW.

So I think you'll enjoy it, is what I'm saying.

ATTQOTD: Our 9 year anniversary was June 13 and DW had a birthday on June 24. We check in July 12. For some reason I feel the birthday should be at least during the week of travel, but a little more relaxed on the anniversary deal. It is our intention to do some of the same things we did (rides and meals) on our honeymoon during this trip, just a month later as its the only dates that lined up when we could take a trip. I'm on the fence on the decision, so I am looking to yall for what is acceptable or not.

1. Your DW's birthday is the same as mine!
2. I've never worn a button in the parks. I was originally planning to get a "first visit" button for Disneyland, but when we got there I didn't really feel like drawing the extra attention and just never got around to it. Personally, I probably wouldn't wear a birthday button outside of my birthday (maybe one day on my birthday week if that was the best timing I could manage), but I don't think there's anything wrong with it. No one's going to check, plus if your intent for the trip is to celebrate the birthday and anniversary, that means it's a birthday/anniversary trip and you should feel free to wear the buttons.

ATTQOTD: I say wear them! I swear I read somewhere in the park or a cast member told me that if it is within 6 months of your birthday/anniversary, you get the button. Like 6 months either way so wouldn't that apply to everyone? :)

@LSUlakes happy anniversary!

ATTQOTD: Wear the buttons! You guys are definitely close enough to the date. I have found that guests ask about when the actual date was more than CMs and it’s honestly none of their business; celebrate whatever, whenever!

I always carry a crossbody bag in the parks so I hook it around the strap. DH puts it on his backpack strap. Etsy also has some cute ones and there’s shops to customize if you want to go that route. I made a custom one for my mom when I took her to celebrate beating cancer!

We're spending the 4th up in the mountains, so I decided to pick up a last minute race

7/4 - JeffW - Breckenridge Independence Day 10k Trail Race (NA/)

NA on the goal, since I'm just running it for fun. 9600 to 10500 ft, so I'm guessing it is going to work me over a bit, even coming from 5000 ft. :scared:

ATTQOTD: I fully regret not getting my DD a first visit pin when we took her years ago, and have failed getting a button ever since. Like for Wine and Dine it was all of our first time at WDW and it was my Dad's birthday month. Fail and fail. I think I am going to finally get one for Marathon weekend, though. ANYWAY, to answer your question @LSUlakes CELEBRATE! WEAR THE PIN! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! <3

Having any type of extra attention, particularly in the form of a song, thrust upon me during a meal is my nightmare.
DULY NOTED.........

ATTQOTD: the only button I've gotten was my DL 1st visit, but I'd definitely get a button if I was celebrating something, even if it wasnt the actual date. You cant always celebrate things on the actual date, so I think it's cool to wear the button whenever.
Go for it!

DULY NOTED.........

Remind me not to tell you anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter