The Running Thread -- 2022

QOTD: I have a half-marathon in 3 weeks, ending a period of pretty much Constant Training for Something since July. As I have complained on this thread recently, I'm tired. Some of it is training so continuously, some of it is just a long stretch of work stuff also.

My question is: How long do you folks take off when you feel this way? I haven't had a motivation lapse in years, and I'm hoping with a little break I'll be refreshed. Also just stopping running altogether is scary so how do you deal with a break? Doing my best to not sign up for ANY races until I get my groove back.
I hear you - running all the time can be a lot. Do you do any other kinds of fitness activities? Sometimes I'll try something new just for a break. My gym has a pool and classes for Doonya (like Zumba but with South Asian-style dancing) and karate, and I do strength training at home. Any of those makes a nice change from running if I don't feel like it. Maybe you could take some time off from running but still be in pretty good physical condition by trying some new kinds of exercise. :)

Last edited:
QOTD:
My question is: How long do you folks take off when you feel this way? I haven't had a motivation lapse in years, and I'm hoping with a little break I'll be refreshed. Also just stopping running altogether is scary so how do you deal with a break? Doing my best to not sign up for ANY races until I get my groove back.
I also don't usually take big breaks unless I am injured. But I usually build in some week long breaks every year for things like family vacations. I feel like these little breaks from "having" to run make me want to run more, or maybe appreciate it more. Usually by the time I get back from vacation, I am sooo ready for a run!
Once your HM is done, honestly take a solid week or 2 off with no obligation to run. If you want to great, but don't force it. Plan for a slow comeback. I'm not sure how many days a week you are running now, but if it's a lot, maybe try cutting back a day. Or just run the way you want for a month. No plan or expectations and see if the enjoyment of running returns once the plan isn't dictating your activity. If you have been training for so many months I think it is totally understandable that your mind and body needs a little break.

Around the time of this year's Marathon Weekend, someone posted that they were going to take the rest of January off. Which seemed like forever to me! But then I came back from Marathon Weekend and got grounded by my PT (no weight bearing activity) pretty much until the end of January. I wasn't happy about it (okay, let's be honest - I was climbing the walls), but looking back, I know that it was the best thing that could have happened. I needed it physically and mentally and left to my own devices, I never would have taken that long of a break. So I would recommend taking what you think you need - and then add two weeks.

When I was whining about it, a wise friend of mine recommended using the time to "cleanse my palate" and do something completely different as exercise. I found some things that I like (my PT exercises and strength training became more enjoyable) and some things that I still don't (the bike). I also thought about doing some yoga and swimming, but it never actually happened.

Based on my experience, my plan for post-Dopey 2023 is to take the rest of January off again, although hopefully not because I'm trying to recover from an injury.

QOTD: I have a half-marathon in 3 weeks, ending a period of pretty much Constant Training for Something since July. As I have complained on this thread recently, I'm tired. Some of it is training so continuously, some of it is just a long stretch of work stuff also.

Make sure to take at least a week off after your half.

Then, spend a month or two just running for fun without any goals or preconceived notions. Run as little or as much as you like.

If you find you're ready for a training plan again, find a shorter distance to switch things up. It'll make you a more well rounded runner and I find it's good for me mentally as well.

ATTQOTD: I kinda just stopped running so I'm probably the wrong person to ask. But my approach in the past has been to cut back (fewer runs and shorter runs) until I felt like I wanted more. Which is a super nebulous thing and really probably doesn't help. But really its something that's different for every person and every experience.

I could use some help. I don't know why I'm not understanding the Galloway training plan. Maybe I'm just having one of those days...but I. don't. get. it. lol

The plans says it requires 30 minutes each day. But the calendar shows different times. 10, 13, 16 min etc. Is the 30 min just a guideline? Am I actually supposed to just follow the times on the calendar?

Based on the pace guidelines, it says my interval should be 5/30. So Day 1 says 10 minutes. So that means I'm only doing two intervals? Does that seem right? That seems way too easy to me.

And then I have to do math and adjust for the temperature?!

I'm so confused! I feel like I need a spreadsheet. I just want to run and walk! What is wrong with my brain tonight? lol

I have a question for @DopeyBadger and those with math skills and/or training experience: I live in South Florida which is bereft of hills. The closest I can come to a steep incline is a bridge which is a 45 minute drive from my home. Therefore, I would like to utilize the treadmill to simulate the inclines that we experience during the Disney World marathon. What should one set the incline on the treadmill in order to simulate the inclines at Disney World? I looked at the last course map and the elevation chart, but I am uncertain if my math is wrong because I believe that I would only set the incline on the treadmill to 4%. That seems to not be steep enough. Thank you in advance.

While there is an actual DOT regulation, Wikipedia covers it well "The maximum permissible vertical angle, or grade, along the highway is determined from terrain and design speed, with up to 6% generally allowed in mountainous areas, 5% in rolling terrain, and 4% on level terrain. An additional 1% is allowed in urban areas."

4% is probably more than sufficient for overpass grade at WDW. There is also a camber standard, but no good way to simulate that on a treadmill!

I could use some help. I don't know why I'm not understanding the Galloway training plan. Maybe I'm just having one of those days...but I. don't. get. it. lol

The plans says it requires 30 minutes each day. But the calendar shows different times. 10, 13, 16 min etc. Is the 30 min just a guideline? Am I actually supposed to just follow the times on the calendar?

Based on the pace guidelines, it says my interval should be 5/30. So Day 1 says 10 minutes. So that means I'm only doing two intervals? Does that seem right? That seems way too easy to me.

I'm so confused! I feel like I need a spreadsheet. I just want to run and walk! What is wrong with my brain tonight? lol
Do you have a link to the plan? I'm not that familiar with Galloway but I'd be willing to look through the plan to see if I can provide any guidance.

Without looking though, you definitely want to start easy so I wouldn't worry about it sounding "too easy". Things will ramp up over the course of any plan.

I'm not a run/walker, but I think I can answer some of your questions. So from your journal, I think you're doing 5k/10k, correct? and I expect you are looking at RunDisney Galloway plans. So I pulled up the 5k plan. And from your comment about pace, I expect you did his 800m test and/or have determined your Long Run pace of 18:30-20:00 min. Assuming this is correct, here's some comments.

First, the "30 minutes" for weekday runs is what you build up to. So yes, follow what the calendar says. Start with 10 minutes on your first day and by the end of training, you will be at 30 minutes.

Next, the way I read his plan is that for these weekday runs, brand new beginning runners would just do 5-10 seconds running and walk the rest of the minute. So if you were supposed to be out there for 10 total minutes--like week 1, day 1--then you would be doing this 5-10 second run/55-50 second walk interval 10 times (for the total of 10 minutes). Over time , you increase the amount of running. So in week three, you increase the run interval up to 10-20 seconds (and the walk down to 50-40 sec). Week 5 you increase the run interval some more to 20-30 sec (and the walk down to 40-30 sec). And of course, if at any time this feels like too much, you can drop back down to the interval that works for you.

For the Long Run on the weekends, that calculated pace he is recommending is for people who have been running for a few months. But similar logic. If the interval you are supposed to do is 5/30, then you would run 5 secs and walk 30 seconds and keep repeating this 35 second cycle for the duration of the long run, e.g. for 1.5 miles during the first week. So you'd be doing that cycle lots of times. BUT, He does still suggest though that beginning runners/trainers stick to a long run pace like the 10-20 sec run interval/50-40 second walk. (Although if you are a real beginner, starting with the 5-10 second run interval, then I expect you'd start with that) Are we confused yet?

I don't know what your running background is, or if you are starting from scratch, but I will say this: Try the first couple weeks of the plan (forget about the temp adjustment for now--it's valid, but just one more variable that you can deal with later) and see how it goes. Then adjust your pace as needed.

The real run/walkers will chime in with info that will probably be much more helpful.

A couple thoughts...
1. I don't train year-round, though I run year-round. Roughly May through Aug. is my off season and I run lower mileage with the only goal being fitness and enjoyment: no pace goals, no aiming for anything in particular beyond feeling good. The mindset is the break - if I need to skip a run because life, no pressure to "make it up"; no worrying about building distance or working on speed, etc. Just taking time to run for the fun of it is a lovely experience for me.

2. It's rare, but sometimes work/life/training/health pressures converge and I truly do not want to run - that's when I know my body needs a full break for a bit. It happened recently, following the TOT 10-miler. I stopped running and only did other exercises that felt good for as long as my body said that's what it wanted: it wound up being 6 days. Day 7 my body said "run" and I did - and it felt wonderful!

I'm a big proponent of listening to your body: it will tell you what it needs.

ATTQOTD: I get this way sometimes after marathon training pretty much from spring until Marathon Weekend. I usually have 3-5 marathons in there, and I get tired. Some of that has to do with several long weekday runs. After MW, I usually try and take at least a whole week off or two. I then tend to spend one training session on a half marathon. Maybe that’s not right after MW, but at least one 8ish week period during the year of slightly lessor mileage.

Maybe you can switch to a 10k training plan? And maybe one that is more for maintenance without too much speed work??
Yeah this has been a strategy I've used in the past... train for a different distance. It's a good one.
I hear you - running all the time can be a lot. Do you do any other kinds of fitness activities? Sometimes I'll try something new just for a break. My gym has a pool and classes for Doonya (like Zumba but with South Asian-style dancing) and karate, and I do strength training at home. Any of those makes a nice change from running if I don't feel like it. Maybe you could take some time off from running but still be in pretty good physical condition by trying some new kinds of exercise. :)
Sadly I enjoy running and that's about it. I like being able to step out the door, get it done, shower, and finish my day. This is a good idea though to mix it up!
I also don't usually take big breaks unless I am injured. But I usually build in some week long breaks every year for things like family vacations. I feel like these little breaks from "having" to run make me want to run more, or maybe appreciate it more. Usually by the time I get back from vacation, I am sooo ready for a run!
Once your HM is done, honestly take a solid week or 2 off with no obligation to run. If you want to great, but don't force it. Plan for a slow comeback. I'm not sure how many days a week you are running now, but if it's a lot, maybe try cutting back a day. Or just run the way you want for a month. No plan or expectations and see if the enjoyment of running returns once the plan isn't dictating your activity. If you have been training for so many months I think it is totally understandable that your mind and body needs a little break.

Make sure to take at least a week off after your half.

Then, spend a month or two just running for fun without any goals or preconceived notions. Run as little or as much as you like.

If you find you're ready for a training plan again, find a shorter distance to switch things up. It'll make you a more well rounded runner and I find it's good for me mentally as well.
I do have a Disney trip planned that starts 3 days after my HM, so it shouldn't be too hard to take a week off!
A couple thoughts...
1. I don't train year-round, though I run year-round. Roughly May through Aug. is my off season and I run lower mileage with the only goal being fitness and enjoyment: no pace goals, no aiming for anything in particular beyond feeling good. The mindset is the break - if I need to skip a run because life, no pressure to "make it up"; no worrying about building distance or working on speed, etc. Just taking time to run for the fun of it is a lovely experience for me.

2. It's rare, but sometimes work/life/training/health pressures converge and I truly do not want to run - that's when I know my body needs a full break for a bit. It happened recently, following the TOT 10-miler. I stopped running and only did other exercises that felt good for as long as my body said that's what it wanted: it wound up being 6 days. Day 7 my body said "run" and I did - and it felt wonderful!

I'm a big proponent of listening to your body: it will tell you what it needs.
So my body has been telling me to stop quite a bit lately....

Just like the last time I felt mentally "done", and moaned on here, and it turned out I was getting sick, last night I dropped dead asleep at 8:30PM and I woke up this morning with a cold (at least I hope that's all it is... I'm working at home just in case). Maybe I'm just taking a short-term issue like being sick, and mistaking it for a long-term problem, but I figured it was a good QOTD anyway.

I don't know if this is true for other "masters" runners, but there's this tension between taking a break and avoiding injury, and a "use it or lose it" mentality. Almost everyone in my life who is my age has either been dealing with a short-term injury or has had to retire from running altogether because of nagging issues. I feel fortunate that I've been able to keep going pretty much continuously. I definitely worry that if I don't have something on the calendar I'll find myself in Sedentarytown by year's end.

I'm not a run/walker, but I think I can answer some of your questions. So from your journal, I think you're doing 5k/10k, correct? and I expect you are looking at RunDisney Galloway plans. So I pulled up the 5k plan. And from your comment about pace, I expect you did his 800m test and/or have determined your Long Run pace of 18:30-20:00 min. Assuming this is correct, here's some comments.

First, the "30 minutes" for weekday runs is what you build up to. So yes, follow what the calendar says. Start with 10 minutes on your first day and by the end of training, you will be at 30 minutes.

Next, the way I read his plan is that for these weekday runs, brand new beginning runners would just do 5-10 seconds running and walk the rest of the minute. So if you were supposed to be out there for 10 total minutes--like week 1, day 1--then you would be doing this 5-10 second run/55-50 second walk interval 10 times (for the total of 10 minutes). Over time , you increase the amount of running. So in week three, you increase the run interval up to 10-20 seconds (and the walk down to 50-40 sec). Week 5 you increase the run interval some more to 20-30 sec (and the walk down to 40-30 sec). And of course, if at any time this feels like too much, you can drop back down to the interval that works for you.

For the Long Run on the weekends, that calculated pace he is recommending is for people who have been running for a few months. But similar logic. If the interval you are supposed to do is 5/30, then you would run 5 secs and walk 30 seconds and keep repeating this 35 second cycle for the duration of the long run, e.g. for 1.5 miles during the first week. So you'd be doing that cycle lots of times. BUT, He does still suggest though that beginning runners/trainers stick to a long run pace like the 10-20 sec run interval/50-40 second walk. (Although if you are a real beginner, starting with the 5-10 second run interval, then I expect you'd start with that) Are we confused yet?

I don't know what your running background is, or if you are starting from scratch, but I will say this: Try the first couple weeks of the plan (forget about the temp adjustment for now--it's valid, but just one more variable that you can deal with later) and see how it goes. Then adjust your pace as needed.

The real run/walkers will chime in with info that will probably be much more helpful.
Thank you!

Yeah this has been a strategy I've used in the past... train for a different distance. It's a good one.

Sadly I enjoy running and that's about it. I like being able to step out the door, get it done, shower, and finish my day. This is a good idea though to mix it up!

I do have a Disney trip planned that starts 3 days after my HM, so it shouldn't be too hard to take a week off!

So my body has been telling me to stop quite a bit lately....

Just like the last time I felt mentally "done", and moaned on here, and it turned out I was getting sick, last night I dropped dead asleep at 8:30PM and I woke up this morning with a cold (at least I hope that's all it is... I'm working at home just in case). Maybe I'm just taking a short-term issue like being sick, and mistaking it for a long-term problem, but I figured it was a good QOTD anyway.

I don't know if this is true for other "masters" runners, but there's this tension between taking a break and avoiding injury, and a "use it or lose it" mentality. Almost everyone in my life who is my age has either been dealing with a short-term injury or has had to retire from running altogether because of nagging issues. I feel fortunate that I've been able to keep going pretty much continuously. I definitely worry that if I don't have something on the calendar I'll find myself in Sedentarytown by year's end.
I unfortunately empathize with you. Following my HM attempt to break 2:07, I decided to take a week off to recover. Following an easy run of only four miles, I have begun experiencing pain in my right shin akin to shin splints. I don't believe that it is shin splints since I have not been overtraining. Instead, it's likely strained because I went beyond my fitness level (just like @DopeyBadger warns against) in my HM attempt. I definitely have the problem of giving in to the "use it or lose it" train of thought as well. Keep in mind that studies have proven that one's aerobic fitness is nominally affected by a 2-3 week break. Feel better so that you can get back out there with a fresh outlook and positive attitude.

Sadly I enjoy running and that's about it. I like being able to step out the door, get it done, shower, and finish my day.

Doing something different could do one of two things - 1) you could find something else that you enjoy doing as well or 2) you remember WHY you love running and it sparks you to come back stronger.

I don't know if this is true for other "masters" runners, but there's this tension between taking a break and avoiding injury, and a "use it or lose it" mentality. Almost everyone in my life who is my age has either been dealing with a short-term injury or has had to retire from running altogether because of nagging issues.

My PT always harps on people who wind up running themselves out of running. His theory - developed after many years of dealing with runners as well as being one himself - is that most runners view running as all or nothing. Either they go out for a minimum of 3 miles or they do nothing. Instead of taking a short break, fixing the problem, they keep pounding and pounding and pounding until finally something does break. Then they find themselves able to do nothing, which is soooooo much harder to come back from. But by working with the natural cyclical rhythm of life (there is a time to peak and a time to recover) instead of against it, you can prevent some of those deep valleys (i.e. being injured) from happening.

Now, that being said, is it easy advice to actually implement? Yeah, that's a big fat NO! One of my most favorite videos that my PT produced was when he was about 10 days out from an acute injury and you could see that he was almost jittery that he wanted to run so bad. I almost wanted to comment that this was giving him a better appreciation for what his patients go through when they get told "not yet" when they ask if they can run during their appointments.

Doing something different could do one of two things - 1) you could find something else that you enjoy doing as well or 2) you remember WHY you love running and it sparks you to come back stronger.

My PT always harps on people who wind up running themselves out of running. His theory - developed after many years of dealing with runners as well as being one himself - is that most runners view running as all or nothing. Either they go out for a minimum of 3 miles or they do nothing. Instead of taking a short break, fixing the problem, they keep pounding and pounding and pounding until finally something does break. Then they find themselves able to do nothing, which is soooooo much harder to come back from. But by working with the natural cyclical rhythm of life (there is a time to peak and a time to recover) instead of against it, you can prevent some of those deep valleys (i.e. being injured) from happening.

Now, that being said, is it easy advice to actually implement? Yeah, that's a big fat NO! One of my most favorite videos that my PT produced was when he was about 10 days out from an acute injury and you could see that he was almost jittery that he wanted to run so bad. I almost wanted to comment that this was giving him a better appreciation for what his patients go through when they get told "not yet" when they ask if they can run during their appointments.
That's really quite interesting. Did your PT say when it's okay to return to running following an injury? My wife is an MD, not a PT, and she always tells me that my guideline should be pain. If I'm feeling pain, stop running and/or don't run. She rolls her eyes at me when I ask her for a number of days.

It normally only takes a week or two off for me to reset. I usually try have a down period where maybe I just run 2 days a week to maintain fitness, and maybe do more dog walking, yoga, or swimming.

Maybe try trail running to shake things up?

I can so relate!

ATTQOTD: I haven't really felt that burnt-out feeling you're talking about, although I can imagine it. I tend to do a lot of different types of activities, so sometimes I get more of a burn-out of "doing things" in general.

For a longer race like a HM or marathon, I strictly force myself to NOT run for a week minimum - not even easy runs. Then I follow the rule of thumb of "one easy day per mile raced", so I'll allow a week of easy running for a HM and three weeks for a marathon before I start training again. Usually for me, that gets me eager to be starting a new training plan.

At the end of last November, I had my fourth ankle sprain in four months (same ankle) and finally went to see an orthopedic about it and went to PT for it. During that time, I had two weeks (maybe a bit more) where I was not allowed to run. Then when I started running again, I felt GREAT! A lightbulb turned on!

So I just did a 25K trail race...and I am not going to run at all for two weeks, hoping to get some of that recovery again.

During that prior enforced no running period, I did a lot of walking on my treadmill because it was winter. After all, walking is just really slow running. :) And if you increase the incline, walking becomes a really good workout. Since I am trail running now, incline walking was very beneficial to me. I also played tennis, did strength training, and a variety of other things.

In my break after my race, I am doing the same for my two weeks of no running...and then hoping I will feel physically and mentally ready to go again for the next training cycle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter