Trans couple too afraid to go to Florida - how accepting is Disneyland?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Especially with so many people claiming trans people are "groomers." I wouldn't put it past some people to think the mere presence of a suspected trans person was threatening their child. :(
Wow. Florida people are not like that. You people are making it out to be something it’s not. I’m getting more afraid of you folks causing an incident to prove your point just from reading this thread. See how unreasonable that statement is….no different than some of the remarks on this thread. Calm down and please stop the unnecessary fear mongering. Seriously, stay home if you really think that.

Wow. Florida people are not like that. You people are making it out to be something it’s not. I’m getting more afraid of you folks causing an incident to prove your point just from reading this thread. See how unreasonable that statement is….no different than some of the remarks on this thread. Calm down and please stop the unnecessary fear mongering. Seriously, stay home if you really think that.
I live in Florida and yes, some people are like that. I’m glad you’re not seeing it, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

And also, Florida is a tourist destination. Doesn’t matter if Floridians are all great when people in other parts of the country aren’t.

I couldn’t agree more. I live in Florida and this fear mongering seems totally misplaced. You would think from reading this thread that verbal sparring and degradation of people based on sex or race or gender or sexual orientation is commonplace in Florida. I have never, not one time, seen anyone do anything of the sort in Florida (or anyplace else in the US if I’m being honest). I don‘t live in one of the most liberal cities in Florida, but not one of the more conservative either. So I imagine in Orlando it would be very unusual.

That being said, I am quite sure in any state in the US you can find people that will give examples of bad behavior that they have seen. But to think it’s commonplace in FL (or anywhere else in the US) sounds totally bonkers to me.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but this is a good example of why things won't ever change or be resolved. And has anyone ever calmed down after being instigated with a calm down?

I live in Florida and yes, some people are like that. I’m glad you’re not seeing it, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

And also, Florida is a tourist destination. Doesn’t matter if Floridians are all great when people in other parts of the country aren’t.
So is Anaheim, San Diego, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, New Orleans. By that logic, don’t go to any tourist destination because those horrible tourists that are bigoted and will cause a ruckus will be there!

I think it’s reasonable to not want to go to a city for whatever reason (crime, weather, or even just because you want to make a statement, that’s allowed!) But there can be bad behavior anywhere, there is no limit to where it may occur or where you will be immune to it. Florida is not the bogeyman. Nor is any other state.

Combined with Florida's insane stand your ground laws, there is no way I would go to Disney if I were trans since someone can simply say they were "threatened by me" when they shoot me in the lobby of the hotel where there are not metal detectors.
More than half of U.S. states have stand your ground laws. You may want to check before you travel somewhere else.

P.S. It's not as simple as saying "I felt threatened." http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ute&URL=0700-0799/0776/Sections/0776.013.html

I don't have a dog in this fight, but this is a good example of why things won't ever change or be resolved. And has anyone ever calmed down after being instigated with a calm down?
Respectfully, could you please find another phrase besides, “ dog in the fight”? Every time that is used, it legitimizes a truly horrific blood sport. Thank you for your consideration.

Not to pull this too far away from an adult trans couple, but this group also has many parents of trans kids. FL is one of many states seeking to remove children from parents. Their bill also targets adults by not allowing public hospitals to provide trans affirming care. The Orlando area hospitals are less likely to jump on using this in harmful ways (IMHO) when treating a trans person in an emergency, but all it takes is one bigot on the team.

I hate that this is now part of my trip planning. 😢
My 16 yr old trans nephew won’t visit me in FL or come with us to WDW because of these laws. He’s terrified. The saddest part is he’s very unhappy in general- suicidal, depressed and withdrawn from the world. Disneyworld was one place he actually loved to go to and where he felt he could just forget about life for a while. Now, that small happiness is gone for him

i wish people making these laws understood that sometimes calling a child by his preferred name, suspending puberty or similar is literally the only chance you have to keep your child alive. Literally. Trans care for some of these kids is quite literally the difference between a living child and a dead child.

Last edited:

My post yesterday was made in haste and I generalized about People in Fl when I should have said NOT ALL people in Florida. No matter what your walk in life is or regardless what state laws are….you should not approach ( or touch ) another persons child unless it is in an emergency.

I am amazed at the mental gymnastics used in rationalizing how "tolerant and friendly" the people are in a state that passed SPECIFIC and TARGETED laws against LGBQT people...

You don't get to have it both ways.... Hey I know we targeted LGBQT people with THIS legislation... and THAT legislation... oh and also some nasty campaign ads....but really we are not hostile....

I am amazed at the mental gymnastics used in rationalizing how "tolerant and friendly" the people are in a state that passed SPECIFIC and TARGETED laws against LGBQT people...

You don't get to have it both ways.... Hey I know we targeted LGBQT people with THIS legislation... and THAT legislation... oh and also some nasty campaign ads....but really we are not hostile....
Right. I truly believe that a trans person would not experience any hostility from Disney cast members and any hostility from other guests would be dealt with. Outside of Disney? Most people in Central Florida are accepting. But laws are laws across the entire state.

A law was recently passed that allows prayer before HS sports events. Just like any other state law there will be some people upset about it. You might see a law one way but others may see it differently. We are all human and not perfect.

A law was recently passed that allows prayer before HS sports events. Just like any other state law there will be some people upset about it. You might see a law one way but others may see it differently. We are all human and not perfect.

A law aimed at prayer choice is not nearly the same level of intrusiveness or harm as a law that allows denying medical care to a segment of a population.

A person refusing to pray before a sporting event won’t be arrested. There is a new law that requires people to use government owned bathrooms that align with their assigned sex at birth, regardless if they’ve physically transitioned. Thankfully this won’t be an issue at Disney, but it might be while visiting other parts of the state.

I'm saddened that those disagreeing that LGBTQIA+ have reason to fear travel in Florida think this a thread for debate when it's located in a support forum. DISboards' description of forum's purpose: "This is a forum for Gay, Lesbian, Bi and Transgender guests and their family and friends to share information on their Disney Experiences"

In this area, debating that LGBTQIA+ people feel threatened in Florida shows disregard and disrespect for others' feelings and concerns. Anyone coming here for that reason is hardly a friend.

oh please take your anti vaxx BS and stick it in the rabbit holes of whatever conspiracy theory you like. So over that crap. No one forced YOU to get anything. Being required to take certain vaccines to be able to participate in XXXX has been standard for a wide variety of fields. programs, and entities. You were always free NOT to participate.
I’m too old to be gaslit.

So if you live in Florida and disagree with the way it’s being painted, you should let the fantasy talk continue uninterrupted? Does not being able to question someone extend to the entire message board or just this particular area?

Where anyone lives or how much they disagree matters not at all.

This is a forum for sharing and support ONLY by family and friends of LGBTQIA+ people.

Where anyone lives or how much they disagree matters not at all.

This is a forum for sharing and support ONLY by family and friends of LGBTQIA+ people.
The problem is that some people (in this forum, on these boards, in the state of FL, in the US) continue to be obtuse about what the legislation in Florida that some people are worried about says and does and how it would actually affect a tourist (or a citizen) in the state of Florida. That is why people, like the original poster, are worried. I only implore people to read the legislation and be realistic about what it does and doesn’t say. Fear mongering and villianizing the state of Florida are not helpful to anyone.

If someone is afraid to travel to a state for whatever reason I do not think they should go. But I think they should go into that decision with facts and not just feelings. And if someone decides not to travel to a state because they do not like the governor or the legislation passed by the state‘s governing bodies that is perfectly fine. But some people have conflated legislation passed in a state with the conduct of its citizens or then talk about the conduct of its tourists (which makes absolutely no sense at all). People can act bad anywhere.

A person refusing to pray before a sporting event won’t be arrested. There is a new law that requires people to use government owned bathrooms that align with their assigned sex at birth, regardless if they’ve physically transitioned. Thankfully this won’t be an issue at Disney, but it might be while visiting other parts of the state.
This only applies to schools and correctional facilities. So unless a tourist is visiting one of those, they will not be affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter