WDW restaurants that are no more

100% agree on Writer's Stop - loved that place.
Loved to have breakfast at Cat Cura's
Not a restaurant but there used to be a bar/lounge above HBD in MGM that was a lot of fun. You could look down on the restaurant and had great little tables up there.
And the Main Street Bakery - darn you Starbucks. Wasn't there also a little bakery type place where the Starbucks is now at HS - then MGM?
Not gone but the food at Tony's used to be kind of good. Way back in the early 80s it was a go to for us.

Cat Kora’s Restaurant was Kouzinna which replaced Spoodles. We at a few times at Kouzinna and really enjoyed it.

Cat Cora's Kousina's
Spoodles

The restaurant that was in the current location Rainforest Cafe in Disney Springs. It had great views of the water and the food was good. Attached was a small jazz club (think Scat Cats at the Port Orleans French Quarter_

Cap't Jacks. The food was sometimes meh other times good. However the view was great (I love water front views). Worse case I would order raw oysters on the half shell. You really can't screw them up.

The tempura place at the Japanese Pavilion. Good food.

The Lounge at the front of the Japanese Pavilion. For a long time it was an undiscovered treasure. You could just show up and get a seat at a table. Order some sushi and a drink. While not the greatest sushi. It was a nice place to get around the crowd and the rain and just chill. In later years it became more crowded as sushi became more mainstream.
At the time Jacks was the only place you could get raw oysters. There still aren’t a lot of options. Maybe with DS expansion that number has increased.

Cat Cora's Kousina's
Spoodles

The restaurant that was in the current location Rainforest Cafe in Disney Springs. It had great views of the water and the food was good. Attached was a small jazz club (think Scat Cats at the Port Orleans French Quarter_

Cap't Jacks. The food was sometimes meh other times good. However the view was great (I love water front views). Worse case I would order raw oysters on the half shell. You really can't screw them up.

The tempura place at the Japanese Pavilion. Good food.

The Lounge at the front of the Japanese Pavilion. For a long time it was an undiscovered treasure. You could just show up and get a seat at a table. Order some sushi and a drink. While not the greatest sushi. It was a nice place to get around the crowd and the rain and just chill. In later years it became more crowded as sushi became more mainstream.
Double post

And the Main Street Bakery - darn you Starbucks. Wasn't there also a little bakery type place where the Starbucks is now at HS - then MGM?

I think what is currently Starbucks at DHS used to be a store. There was Starring Rolls across the street next to the Brown Derby.

The REAL Main Street Bakery @ MK - and no, Starbucks and remodeled bakery doesn't cut it!! ☹ They made the best croissant b'fast sandwich, and of course our favorite cinnamon roll.

The soda fountain Beaches & Cream - and no, the new and improved (not) B&C also doesn't cut it! ☹

The old CRT - King Stephan's Banquet Hall - yes, the place is the same, but the great menu is gone for years - was actually worth the money then.

Those are the ones that are uppermost in mind now.

I miss the pre-princess Akershus when it was a hot and cold buffet. My family loved the more authentic Norwegian food and ate there almost every trip.

How could I forget that one? We always got told "You need to eat 7 plates to be a viking". Does anyone else remember that? I remember going up to the buffet and getting small amounts of food each time so that I'd have seven plates. Loved that place!

I don't recall the spots you reference but I for sure miss Alfredo's in EPCOT's Italy pavilion. And also -- really old school here --- when Tony's Town Square (or whatever it was called in the late '70s/early '80s) offered breakfast on the porch and - as a kid - you could run off and 'meet' a character in town square (no schedule) and then go back to breakfast.
I loved Alfredos!

Cap'n Jack's at the old Downtown Disney. Not the best food in the world, but it holds the most memory for me and my wife. It was the first place we ate on our Honeymoon and was the first dinner we ate together as husband and wife. I remember getting a table by the window and looking out over the water. So sad it's gone.
What's funny is that this could have literally been our same post. Went there for our honeymoon in 1992 and this was probably one of the first places we ate.

Papeete Bay Verandah!

There was a stage in there and singers. We ate there so many times in the 70s.
Thank you so much for sharing this! I tipped my chair backwards & knocked over a server when we had dinner there once back in 1976 or so -- luckily we weren't banned from WDW because of that!

And I have such fond memories of the buffalo wings at the Fireworks Factory.

Another vote for Writers Stop. We rarely purchased anything but we loved going in and looking at all of the decor. It was very relaxing. Baseline Taphouse is so plain and unthemed (I’m making words up now), it doesn’t look like a Disney place at all- just like the newest resorts and remodeled rooms.

Empress Lilly
Was Empress Lily a riverboat? Was this at what is now Disney Springs? I have a childhood memory of eating on a riverboat that I’ve never been able to place. I thought it was WDW, but I’ve never been able to figure out where it was.

Was Empress Lily a riverboat? Was this at what is now Disney Springs? I have a childhood memory of eating on a riverboat that I’ve never been able to place. I thought it was WDW, but I’ve never been able to figure out where it was.
Yes, it became Fulton’s and now Paddlefish.

Yes, it became Fulton’s and now Paddlefish.
Ok, I googled and my mind is blown, lol. I always thought it was WDW, but a place that no longer existed! We probably did a character breakfast there, but my memory is of a fancy dinner, drinking Shirley Temples and feeling so grown up. I even remember what I was wearing. I’ve never eaten at Paddlefish, but now I might need to try it!

I swear I remember that too, from our honeymoon trip in 2000, but it turns out I might have been remembering Chefs de France instead. :confused3 I wish I knew what the BatB one in MGM was so that I could prove myself not crazy.
Soundstage Restaurant, used to be where Disney Junior Live is. Started as a set to the movie Big Business, then became Beauty and the Beast, then Aladdin with the character breakfast, then Pocahontas. It had 3 different areas, pizza and pasta, soup and sandwiches, and BBQ. I worked there for several years. I miss that place. And the bar upstairs was called The Cat Walk.

Soundstage Restaurant, used to be where Disney Junior Live is. Started as a set to the movie Big Business, then became Beauty and the Beast, then Aladdin with the character breakfast, then Pocahontas. It had 3 different areas, pizza and pasta, soup and sandwiches, and BBQ. I worked there for several years. I miss that place. And the bar upstairs was called The Cat Walk.

Alas, I am still crazy, because I grew up in California (going to Disneyland for free since so many friends had relatives working there!!!) and didn't make it to Disney World until my honeymoon in 2000 and Soundstage closed in 98. 🤪

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter