Week of Oct 9 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

MelRhoads said:
Christa - are you not going to FREEZE to death doing a tri in march????? :confused3 BURRRRRRRRR
The swim part is indoors and last year the weather was beautiful. Now it could be snowing too. You never know. Normally it is nice.
Christa

xterratri said:
Question time: how do the corrals work? I forget what race and time I used for a seed time so I'm wondering if I should send the time from the half Oct 2. I know I'm not going to run a Boston time but I still want to finish in the 4-4:30 range so I want to make sure I don't end up in the last corral. Also what about if you want to run with a pace group(the Clif people) that is faster than the corral you get put into? Are the corrals just suggestion or are they enforced?
I resubmitted my time last year. Under 5:00 has to have proof of time. What I did was take a printout of the race I ran to the expo (it was too late to send it by mail) and they changed my corral. This is what they told me to do.
You can hop out of the corral as lots did to go potty in the median--just get your bearings straight and you can go get in the corral you want...best to do this when it gets how shall we say crowded....not that I suggest doing this. But corrals are very much enforced, especially the quicker ones.
I would not suggest trying to sneek into a different corral. In 2004 and 2005, they were very good about checking who goes in and comes out @ the marathon. I do not know about the 1/2. I guess if you go under the ropes. But it is so easy to get it changed and I would not want to be in a corral that is too fast for me. You time does not start until you pass the start anyway, and all corrals are crowded. :confused3

TXBelle said:
I did not want to get out of bed this morning, but I heard Lily's words in my head: "You have to put in the steps." So I got up and went to the gym for 55 minutes of walk 3/run 2. Thanks Lily for the inspiration and motivation. :flower:
I thought I "heard" my name! Oh so glad to be of service!
:cool1:
Race tips, great idea.
Sorry for MIA, I cannot believe I am just now checking in. Where did I go? :confused3

I am trying to read it all. We have become quite a group. This is great!

gatorphipps said:
I resubmitted my time last year. Under 5:00 has to have proof of time. What I did was take a printout of the race I ran to the expo (it was too late to send it by mail) and they changed my corral. This is what they told me to do.

I would not suggest trying to sneek into a different corral. In 2004 and 2005, they were very good about checking who goes in and comes out @ the marathon. I do not know about the 1/2. I guess if you go under the ropes. But it is so easy to get it changed and I would not want to be in a corral that is too fast for me. You time does not start until you pass the start anyway, and all corrals are crowded. :confused3

I'm self destructing that tidbit...but at a certain time it gets to a certain point--and there was nobody checking those taking potty breaks who were hopping back in.

We have new people! Welcome new folks. Come often, post lots!

I love the headlamp idea. I will not run as it gets dark and that saddens me. I am afraid of finding that “bad” spot along the road and injuring myself.

Wish they had a lighted place to run outdoors as it gets dark.

I have not seen the info about the Inaugural Minnie. Oh I must find it!

Lisa, thanks for posting that info regarding the pacing. I remembered it somewhat from before, I am actually in a better position to have tried it some now. When I do “my” pace I understand why I coined the term “Wog” now. I cannot quite sustain a 90 strike pace, but when I was going in the 80’s my HR was cranking beyond what I would be able to sustain for long. When I moved downward toward the 60’s I felt I was going too slow for me and would never make the finish line in time. Hence—Wogging! I think I am going to incorporate my during the week stuff at the goal toward 90 and the lr way way less than that. The good news is that I am finding that I am able to feel much better at this time than I did earlier so progress is occurring.

I don’t know what it is that seems to be going on with me. I’ve suddenly developed different pains. One ankle feels like I need to pop it like people do their knuckles and the other has some slight pain on the outside of the heel as near the Achilles tendon. Sigh. Wondering what to do with myself.

Tigerlily--the walking pace is not 90, it is 70...so your wogging is probably a bit like race walking. :) So in the 60s...you are in a good zone!

I have the more recent proof of time and definitely am not trying to do something outside of my ability so I will contact them and see about submitting it.
I'm mad at the Mouse!!!!
Disney seems to delight in figuring out ways to separate me from my money and get some of it for themselves(they must be in league with the airlines as co-conspirators). So the surgeon said Erin can't run the 2006 race so I was looking to see if her half entry could be transferred to me(no) or rolled over(still have to register and pay again, what's the point?) and I go to the main endurance page to look at the triathlon schedule. Minnie Marathon Weekend??? What's that? Oh, a 15K called Women Run the World, you say? On my birthday(The 5K by the spa and shopping, excuse me, DTD and SSR)? I wonder what my exam schedule is? Hmmm, 3 exams the week before but only confirmed the following week are Emergency Medicine which I could pass now and ACLS which can be intimidating the first time through but not the 3rd. What are the airline tickets? Oh, that's high(see, co-conspirators) but they'll come down. I'll try and get a BRP rate for ASMo seeing as we will be flying in for about a 48 hour stay. Not to worry Disney planners, you can separate me from more of my money when I'm back later in the month for 8 nights. See, very bad Mouse!!! I just going to have to visit again soon to tell the Mouse that.

I have never done a race that was so big there are timing corls. I submitted my half time when I registered. Do they automatically put me in one based on that? If so, when do I know where I am????

O.K. where are you guys seeing the info about the Minnie in May. That would be so cool. It would also give me the next thing to work towards so I don't become a couch potato on Jan 9th. I am hoping to keep up this racing thing. I went to the marathon website & didnt' see anything about it.

Glad everyone is doing good. Last night wasnt. I am much better if I get my walks in the a.m. but the kids are on fall break this week & entertaining them is getting in the way of my training so I had to wait until DH got home last night. I didnt want to go but I also had that little voice in my head ...Just put in the steps, you've got to put in the steps!

As you all know that little voice can be quite annoying but it did get me through the walk. My pace wasnt what it usually is but not as bad as I thought. I was glad when I finished that I had at least put in the steps!

Ooohhh!!!! Thanks Disneybelle! I want to go to that. It looks like alot of fun, especially going thru all the parks.

MelRhoads said:
I have never done a race that was so big there are timing corls. I submitted my half time when I registered. Do they automatically put me in one based on that? If so, when do I know where I am????
What did you say you would finish--full or half and in what time.

What was your proof of time from the half.

They accept proof of time for races of 10K and higher. You need not use a previous marathon as proof of time if I understand your question correctly.

When I registered I put down 4:30 for my time and TBD for my proof. Then I emailed them with my July 4th 10K results and asked to change my time to 4:20 . I received a reply saying it had been done so I think I'm good to go. If you end up in a chorral that is too slow for you, how hard is it to catch up? Can you? I can't imagine running with so many people.

Christa-- I knew you'd be the next Tri among us :cheer2: You ROCK!

Lisalovespooh, If I registered for the full,can I switch to the half? Unfortunately for me,my quad injury does not seem to be getting any better and I know I need to rest it for a bit.(yesterday I could only run for 3 min before the pain got really uncomfortable.I finished the session with really fast walking) If I get too far behind in my training... I don't want to attempt the full if I'm less than 100 per cent :confused3 My daughter is running the half and I've already run that distance several times in my training so I should be able to run that(as long as this injury subsides in time) Do we have an option to switch races? Thanks for all your help and happy training everyone.

eeyoresmom said:
Lisalovespooh, If I registered for the full,can I switch to the half? Unfortunately for me,my quad injury does not seem to be getting any better and I know I need to rest it for a bit.(yesterday I could only run for 3 min before the pain got really uncomfortable.I finished the session with really fast walking) If I get too far behind in my training... I don't want to attempt the full if I'm less than 100 per cent :confused3 My daughter is running the half and I've already run that distance several times in my training so I should be able to run that(as long as this injury subsides in time) Do we have an option to switch races? Thanks for all your help and happy training everyone.

According to their website, transfers between races are not allowed. They will allow you to defer it a year though.

Wow, it took me quite some time to read this week's post! You guys are amazing! :)

Been a long time since I've checked in here, started out the year full of enthusiasm, ran some great 5K & 10K races over the year so far, but got sidelined by a back injury and some surgery as well.

I've got the ok to start training again, started the MFM Walk/Run 1/2 schedule and while I am doing ok with it, I'm not doing the 11-12 minute miles I was before the surgery--bit bummed about that.

DH was planning on doing the 1/2 w/me but is now sidelined himself with his own back issues, so he's going to plan on running the 5K with our DS, I'll see how I feel after the 1/2 & either run or cheer them on! :)

Good to see so many here from way back in January, looking forward to seeing alot of green shirts (you are wearing green shirts right?) in the corrals in the early morning hours. :sunny:

Sorry for the 2nd post, but wondering what you put down as your anticipated finish time for the half? I put mine at 2:20 (bwahahahaha) but that is really out of reach now with my surgery rehab. :teeth:

Is there another link to the WISH marathon logo for 2006? I tried the link of the FAQ thread and it wasn't working......just curious!

I am SO jealous, my Mom got a personal e-mail from John Bingham!!!! :worship: My Mom is signed up for the half, started her training back in the summer, well in the end of August she was having trouble breathing and was coughing. She went to the doctor and they told her that she had pneumonia--no running, no walking, no exericising for at least a month. She finally got the okay from her doctor last week that it would be okay to start walking, but after over a month off, she's lost some of her training. She e-mailed John Bingham and asked his opinion if she had time to get ready for the half. He wrote back and said to start slow, build up distance and endurance at her pace, and she'd be more than ready in January to walk to half. John Bingham also said that getting to the start line is the victory, crossing the finish line is just the icing on the cake. :goodvibes I thought my fellow penguins would love that!!

Krista princess:

Krista - That is so cool! Thansk fro sharing!

Karen - Welcome back! Here's some pixie dust for you and your hubby! :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter