Week of Oct 9 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

I just the website to get info on the MinnieMarathon. Found out I won't be able to go. I work a ten-mile race and it's that same weekend :sad2:

The Danskin tri is the following weekend, but I don't know if I want to be away on Mother's Day.

Thought about the DL 1/2 next Sept. and then saw the WDW triathlon is also in Sept. Too many choices!

Terri

Hi everyone.Thanks to all for the encouragement.Im suppossed to do a LR of 10 on Monday( This is actually backtracking for me because I was 3 weeks ahead in training),but this quad injury is persisting. I'm going to try 3 on the treadmill today and see how it goes.Wish me luck and happy training to all of you :sunny:

OK I've had enough :umbrella: :umbrella: :umbrella:

I'm having Garmin Withdrawal :crazy2: two LRS without Gramin now!

I ran through pouring rain that tapered to heavy rain near the end of my LR.

I think the IC is part Gremlin. Once she got soaked she kicked my butt. Hal called for a 10 miler today, I already upped it to 12, then mid run the IC said, "well we're already drenched so might as well make it worth it". I finally waddled back to my car after 16 miles, drenched to the bone.

I also decided bike path traffic is a pretty good indicator of one's level of sanity. There was none. I finally saw 4 or 5 people by mile 12. There was a point where the adorable little babbling brook had swelled to a monster river, engulfing the bp which I had to run through. Uphill it was like running with 20lb weights strapped to my legs. Each footfall brought water up to my waist! I risked my mp3 player this time (put it in a plastic bag) but the chorus in my head drowned out the music. It went something like this: "I'm insane, I'm insane, I'm insane".

My pace for the first 12 miles was dead on 10:00, I incorporated some walk intervals in the last 4 miles brining my overall pace to 10:26.

Please, please, please NO MORE LRs in the RAIN!!!!!!!!

Sunny

plutosmyfav said:
I also decided bike path traffic is a pretty good indicator of one's level of sanity. There was none. I finally saw 4 or 5 people by mile 12. There was a point where the adorable little babbling brook had swelled to a monster river, engulfing the bp which I had to run through. Uphill it was like running with 20lb weights strapped to my legs. Each footfall brought water up to my waist! Sunny

Ok, so you ran through waist-deep water on a bike path? Sounds like a triathlon to me :rotfl:

Great pace, Sunny! :banana:

princessmomma said:
Do you or Christa know anything about the half- marathon in Charlotte on November 19th? Is it pretty hilly? Is it well run? I am thinking about trying to better my time so I am in a higher corral. Right now I have a 2:14 half time that I summitted, but I would like to get under 2:10, if 2:10 is the cutoff for the "B corral".
Colleen - I did this 1/2 last year to get into a higher corral. Like everything in Charlotte, it is hilly. I don't know if they are using the same course though. Last year, we ran down Morehead, up Providence and it was alot of up hill. I will not do it this year b/c the Charlotte Marathon is 2 or 3 weeks after that and I am tapering for that. DH is running it and I will be his scream team with DDs. :goodvibes It is a fun race and well run (except for the lack of port-a-jons :rotfl: )! Last year, it was the Outback 1/2. This year it is the Down YMCA 1/2. So not Outback @ the end.:guilty: If they are doing the corrals the same this year, 2:14 should put you in "B". But I don't know if they are or not. :confused3
Christa

eeyoresmom said:
Hi everyone. I've read in a few posts thet we should be receiving "a packet" :confused3 in a few weeks.What is this? TIA
This will be a sheet of paper you are required to bring with you that you will sign as the release form. The other part is a brochure with some info. The other stuff is picked up at the expo. Hope your aches settle down and all is going to get better. Take it as easy as you must to keep putting steps in. Backtracking is not always a bad thing. Slower if you must is not always a bad thing either.
Sending :wizard: PD your way along with prayers that the job comes through.

Lisa, hope your "falling apart" syndrome stops soon. Is your dismay in wondering if you can complete the full at all or just in a particular timeframe? I hope it all settles for you so you can get that Mickey.

Nancy, great to hear from you. That you are making those steps while recovering from the surgery is an inspiration to me for sure! You are a hero.

Jodi, thanks to you for yor burst of shunshine! :sunny: :grouphug: It seems like we needed that for sure. I appreciate all that you said. You get the cheerleader award this week!
:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:
Mel, I am jealous that you have registered for the Minnie. I would really like to afford to be there.

TiffJ, you are such a gem to get your Mom involved. I am liking that she thinks she is old. She is doing it! It sure makes me feel that I will have company then. It is a shorter tri as I am reading from Terri's post. Perhaps that might encourage your Mom. Thanks to you too for boosting us up. You get the cheerleader award this week too!
:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Terri, what about a Mother-family trip on Mother's Day weekend to do that tri? I was there this year on a girls get away long weekend and we all had a wonderful time. I left my Mom back home and we celebrated before I left. It was ok.
:earsgirl:
Sunny, all I can say is amazing. I guess your rest day managed you well. I enjoyed our run last week in the rain. It was not slippery where we were as it is compressed fine gravel path. It was not cold, just rainy. No bikes either.

I am waiting on DS to arise from the sleep of the young-who-go-out-and-stay-out-late because he said he would work the trek with me today. So that will be that I am going to do sr today and lr tomorrow. Hey! It almost sounds like I might be working on a Goofy or something.
:earseek:

gatorphipps said:
If they are doing the corrals the same this year, 2:14 should put you in "B". But I don't know if they are or not. :confused3
Christa

Thanks Christa for the info. I was thinking about running it so I could try and get in corral B for Disney. I think right now I will be in corral C with my existing 2:14 time. DH thinks I should be fine in corral C, "don't want to start off too fast...blah, blah, blah" I need to listen to him, but ....

Colleen

Hello everyone!! I got up early this morning and did my lr of 4 miles. I ran without my mp3 player because I was running before the sun was completely up. I didn't want to look distracted and therefore an easy target, I ran the 4 miles in my neighborhood, but you can never be too careful. Anyway, it was really nice running without my mp3 player, I pretty much just let my mind wonder, not that I want to run everytime without one, but it was nice today. All I kept thinking "one week from today I'll be sitting on the plane headed to WDW", that really got me through!! ::MickeyMo All in all it was a good run, I did 4 miles in 45:57; my first mile was 11:16 (good), my second was 11:24 (okay), my third was 12:20 (bad, bad), and my fourth was 11:10 (good)--overall I was pretty pleased.

I would love to run the Minnie marathon, but I don't think I can. The Flying Pig marathon (in Cincinnati) is Sunday, May 8th, I've been planning on running the half and looking forward to it because it's my hometown. Plus Stephen was planning on running it too.

Lily--you'll have more company with my Mom, she's walk/running the half. I love it when she asks how I'm doing and then says, "well, I do have 30 years on you." I tell her 57 isn't old!! :earboy2:

Sunny--I can't believe you ran 16 miles this morning!! I agree with you, you are :crazy: :teeth:

Bree--your pregnancy dilemma made me laugh because Stephen and I are going through the same thing, but the roles are reversed. Stephen keeps saying, just give me one more year! We've been married almost 5 (our anniversary is next Friday), what more does he want?? :confused3 :)

Well, I better go, I have a very psycho 40 lb puppy crawling all over me, I think I'm going to take him for a walk and try to burn some of his energy. Good luck on your lr's everyone!!

Krista princess:

chimera said:
Ok, so you ran through waist-deep water on a bike path? Sounds like a triathlon to me :rotfl:

Great pace, Sunny! :banana:

Woah! Let me explain better!!!! The water was moving rapidly in downhill but was only about 4 inches deep. As I stepped in it, the jets reached upto my waist!!!! If the water was waist deep on the bike path we'd be in big trouble around here!!!!

plutosmyfav said:
Woah! Let me explain better!!!! The water was moving rapidly in downhill but was only about 4 inches deep. As I stepped in it, the jets reached upto my waist!!!! If the water was waist deep on the bike path we'd be in big trouble around here!!!!

Bummer...that totally changes the whole mental picture ;) Still a fabulous pace for the conditions you were in. Feel free to send some of that rain down here. The weatherman was just excited that we were going to be below 70 this morning for the first time since May :sunny:

Seven miles in the books for me. I'm startin' to think I'm actually going to beat the sweeper...my pace was 14:39 today :bounce: :bounce:

Mel- I am so jealous that you got in 7 miles. I just couldn't get out of bed this morning. The thought of 7 miles makes me feel :crazy: . I am trying to motivate myself to do 7 tomorrow, but I just don't want to. It seems like such a long way.

To everyone in the Northeast, here's some :wizard: to help keep the :umbrella: away!

Sounds like it must be raining harder down in MA than it is up here in ME. My 10 miles today varied from drizzle to actual rain but no downpour. I am however getting rather tired of the 20 mph winds. The 10 today felt more comfortable than the 10 I did 2 weeks before the half so running that plus the half must have done some good. Maybe this thing will go better after all.

Corral issues- I emailed Disney sports becuase I have my own championchip so I figured I should give them the number off it and asked about the corral/told them about my new half time. Their reply was: "You idiot, you gave us your chip number when you registered" well not really but apparently I had, and yes, my 2:09 time will put me in the 4-4:30 corral where I want to be. So Colleen, maybe email them and ask what corral you will be in before making the decision about the Charlotte half unless you want to run it for training anyway.

So school- we've finished the nervous system and the psych systems so far and just started musculoskeletal. My major concerns this year are twofold: passing the boards and deciding what I want to do for residency. I did an OR preceptorship with an ortho doc about a month ago and got really psyched about doing ortho again but was still considering emergency medicine. So last night I go hang out at the ER til after midnight and now I'm seriously considering EM. Other than the fact that ortho is fun and challenging, EM wins in every other category from residency length to lifestyle issues such as hours worked. Oh yeah, EM can be fun and challenging too. So any career counseling anyone???

Good luck training everyone.

chimera said:
Seven miles in the books for me. I'm startin' to think I'm actually going to beat the sweeper...my pace was 14:39 today :bounce: :bounce:

Awesome Mel!! :banana: :banana: Wow, 7 miles and great pace, it are doing great!!

Heather, you can do those 7 tomorrow, just tell yourself it is alright to slow right down when you need, LR/LW are suppose to be slower, just get the steps in. You can always pick up the pace on another training day. :Pinkbounc

xterratri, I think I will call them, I think I will be in the 4:30- 5:00 corral, but hoping to finish under 4:30. DH says not to be stressed about it, "lots of miles to make it up...blah, blah..." (Really he does give me great advice, but we train so differently.)

Colleen

I haven't been on much in the past couple of weeks but have tried to keep up on reading everyone's post. They all keep me so motivated. I am still on plan with the 1/2 MFM training and I am so excited because last year at this time I was "thinking" that I should be preparing for the 1/2 and didn't. I was able to make it to the end last time but really paid for it in soreness, etc. My plan is to finish in better time and to not feel as rough as I did for days afterward.

Keep up the great work everyone. For those that are in the dumps, pull yourself out and you know that you will fill better once you get back onto your schedule.

For the ones that are dealing with injuries, please take care of yourself.

Did my 3 mile LW today -- 44:47 (14:56 pace). Looking forward to trying to maintain that pace or improve it each week on the LWs. I may have to get one of those headlamps, though, because it is VERY dark at 6 a.m. (the star-filled sky was absolutely breathtaking!) and it is only going to get darker!

chimera said:

Mel -- Very psyched for you!!!! :cool1: :goodvibes: :hug: You sustained that for 7 miles? You really are one of the big :dog: :pug: :dog2:

Jodi said:
Lisa Loves Pooh - I've been diagnosed with MALS (middle-aged loser syndrome) :banana: Just watching that bananna move like that hurts my knees! Seriously, though, I just think I over-trained that one time back in August, rested for 10 days by not running, & just haven't fully gotten over it yet. I'll get more info tomorrow from my massage guru/therapist :worship: You should see a Dr., no?

Yes--we are in process...so doctor on Tuesday, Chiropractor on Thursday, and had MRI on Monday....back to regular doc on Tuesday and hope to be passed over to the physical therapists.

I think I have weak quads....or at least something about my quads that causes a knee issue...I wore an "ace bandage-type" knee brace on the left knee and my cho-plat (looks like a double knee strap for above and below the knee) on my right knee. The sensation---it almost feels like my kneecap cannot be pulled up properly when walking (like it is going to slide down and fall off...though not that graphic of a feeling). Just a wild in the ballpark guess. Anyway--the gadgets today minimized or eliminated that phenomenon.

Now riddle me this--riddle me that...today was a not difficult day for me. Got an ache, adjusted the strap and other than that was F-I-N-E. Now without the braces I'd be up the creek...but I just do not get it. I did a full 10 miles today (with my hubby :love: :love: ), 3:2 R/W interval....and used him to make sure my walking pace was well below race pace.

Now--not only is my distance--2 miles longer than last saturday....I had an additional 1 minute interval of walking....so walking more than twice as much as last week. This is per the MTM training book and what was on plan for today.

I SHAVED 5 seconds off per minute. :cheer2:

Okay--now what on the crazy earth is up with that freaky time??????? 12:55 per minute with TWO MINUTE walk breaks???

I just do not get it at all....but I will take it.....all the way to the finish line!!!! :cool1:

I actually think the culprit---my STUPID treadmill. I don't know why--but my problems occur just on that thing...and not on the road. And since I don't run well with the jogging stroller and since I still have knee issues...unless told otherwise, I will be spending during the week splitting workouts between deep-water running and practicing my speed walking with the stroller and getting the girls out.

Call me the cross-training diva as I will be doing more of that than actual running...but hey--you gotta do what you gotta do, right???

I may just keep up with the full--but still have a week and a half to make a decision before I sign on the dotted line with my recommitment paperwork. Though it was very cool to run with hubby.

I have given him permission to be drill sergeant and to get on the phone and tell me to move my ****---if I'm not keeping up! I may just keep him on the phone from mile 14 to the Animal Kingdom :rotfl2: . Luckily we have free phone to phone. Get him back on for when I hit the wall. I think this sounds like a plan! I can have him on speaker phone and everything. :teeth:

chimera said:

I second Keenercam!!!

Woof Woof Lady--you're in the club now!!!

Who let Chimera out....woof woof woof woof!

Who let Chimera out....woof woof woof woof!!!

You go girl!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter