Week of Oct 9 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

Krista, that's a cool story!!! How fun to have your mom training, too. :sunny:

All this corral talk. This year with the race having more runners and pacers, I'm not sure what they are going to do. Last year...corral A was sub 4:00. Not sure exact numbers, but with proof of 8:XX and lower, you were placed in A. Corral B was 4:00-4:30. I pretty sure proof was 9-10 min/miles. I e-mailed them enough and this was my understanding. :teeth: The elite/sub elite were placed in front of A. Like someone said, you can change your corral when you get to the expo. And, if it matters, there's no problem going to a lower corral if you want to run with a friend.

To all those injured :wizard: get well quickly, pixie!!!

Beautiful day here. Too bad I'm not running. :guilty:

Sara

Hey guys :wave2:
I finally feel human again! I have basically taken the whole week off to get past this cold, so I'll either be fresh for my LR tomorrow or I'll bonk. Either way it has to be done so it's "suck it up and get it done time". At least I haven't been sick during a double LR week.

I didn't really have time to go over the past couple day's posts but I did see the link to the minnie marathon. That is SOOO cool! Is it for girls only?

Well I must go for now. Hope you all are doing well.

~bree~

Krista-- love the JB info :flower: He's the greatest. What a nice treat for your Mom.

Thansk for all the info on corrals. I will bring my proof of time with me to the expo (wouldn't have thought of that before) just incase they don't have me in the right corral. If its the same as before I want to be in corral B (and have proof).

I did 7 miles on the TM in 65:20. The good part about running on the TM is that it is so boring I go fast!!!!!! I am forcing DD out for a wog tonight. We need to get her ready for our 5K. Tomorrow is a rest day. Boy I need it.

Sunny

plutosmyfav said:
When I registered I put down 4:30 for my time and TBD for my proof. Then I emailed them with my July 4th 10K results and asked to change my time to 4:20 . I received a reply saying it had been done so I think I'm good to go. If you end up in a chorral that is too slow for you, how hard is it to catch up? Can you? I can't imagine running with so many people.

Christa-- I knew you'd be the next Tri among us :cheer2: You ROCK!

Well--if you are one corral behind..you just line up at the front of that corral and it wouldn't be too hard at all...If there's a whole corral in between..you don't want to burn yourself out playing catch up.

But you will still be able to run on pace as your chip time will be your result...your official time will be off though.

Lisa - I think I have them 5:15 as a projected time (which I totally pulled out or the air!) I have never done a full and I am doing goofy so I figured I'd be significantly slower than my half mar pace. I submitted a time of 2:10 which is a pace of 9:59 from a half I did in February. Does that mean they already have a corral assigned?

Still resting for the race this weekend :-( Getting caught up on laundry and dusting Double :-(

If you submitted your time and proof together, then yes. I thought the time for proof was 5:30..but someone posted 5. I'm pretty sure it is 5:30. If so, your proof will be sufficient to keep you in the appropriate 5:15 corral. Since they were submitted at the same time, I'm not certain you could request to move into an even more quick corral.

I have to say a great big "THANKS!!!" to all of you! I was reading through the posts after lunch, making my usual excuses about why I don't feel like running, I'll do it later, it's too hot, blah, blah.... And you all motivated me to get up, get my running clothes on, get DS in the jogging stroller and run! Yea!!! It was overcast, humid, and still a bit too hot for comfort, but it was good. :cool1: Of course, listening to "Go faster Mommy, go faster, go faster..." helped spur me along! ;) I did 3.5 and will try to do some light biking tonight. Thanks again! :goodvibes

I went to the running store today and picked up several varieties of power gel, gu, and one other brand to try on our long runs. Does anyone have any favorite brands/flavors for the gels? What works for you?

I am also looking at the 15K Minnie. It would be awesome to be in an inaugural women's event with my fellow DISers! :flower: For anyone interested - I asked this past weekend what the dates for the Danskin triathlon were going to be since they haven't been posted anywhere. The Disney rep said that it was set for Sunday, May 14 (Mother's Day) - a week after the Minnie weekend. I'm definitely planning on that! (THe 15K would be a great warm-up...) ;) If you have ever considered a triathlon - it's supposed to be one of the best for beginners. The swim is 400yds (I think) starting/ending on the beach in front of MK, 12 miles on the bike, and two miles running (through MK). I volunteered last year with one of my friends, and wished I had done it then. There were women of all fitness levels and sizes. Anyone else interested??? :teeth:

Well, got to get ready for work. I'll check in with you all later!

O.k. you guys are trying to turn me into a real athlete. I never even thought about doing a 1/2 marathon & here I am. I thought that would be as far as it would go. Now the info on the Danskin traithalon has me interested. I would never in a million years considered that but it actually sound doable. Especially by next May :rolleyes:

I also like the idea of the Minnie. What to do...what to do....

TiffJ said:
Now the info on the Danskin traithalon has me interested. I would never in a million years considered that but it actually sound doable. Especially by next May :rolleyes:

I also like the idea of the Minnie. What to do...what to do....

You could always make a week of it and do both!!! :teeth:

crzy4pooh said:
I am also looking at the 15K Minnie. It would be awesome to be in an inaugural women's event with my fellow DISers! :flower: For anyone interested - I asked this past weekend what the dates for the Danskin triathlon were going to be since they haven't been posted anywhere. The Disney rep said that it was set for Sunday, May 14 (Mother's Day) - a week after the Minnie weekend. I'm definitely planning on that! (THe 15K would be a great warm-up...) ;) If you have ever considered a triathlon - it's supposed to be one of the best for beginners. The swim is 400yds (I think) starting/ending on the beach in front of MK, 12 miles on the bike, and two miles running (through MK). I volunteered last year with one of my friends, and wished I had done it then. There were women of all fitness levels and sizes. Anyone else interested??? :teeth:

Oh you guys are killing me!!!! My friends and family already think I'm totally nuts for my Disney addiction. I couldn't possibly pull off another trip so close to the January one, but it sounds oooooooh so tempting! Maybe I can get DD hooked enough to want to do Minnie.... Maybe our next thread should be dedicated to creative financing for this dual running/Disney addiction we share :rotfl: Afterall, NEITHER are cheap!!!! :crazy2:

MelRhoads said:
I think I have them 5:15 as a projected time (which I totally pulled out or the air!) I have never done a full and I am doing goofy so I figured I'd be significantly slower than my half mar pace. I submitted a time of 2:10 which is a pace of 9:59 from a half I did in February. Does that mean they already have a corral assigned?

Melissa - 2:10 is the same time I turned in. :cheer2:

Everything I know about corrals - I was in B last year. Started out in C but turned in a lower time and got to B. They would not let my buddies come down with me, so I stayed in C. I was wanting to enjoy the race with them. Anyway.....In 2004, the corrals were totally different. I haven't checked, but b/c the race is only a marathon or 1/2, I bet they will be changed again (I could be wrong).
I did not plan to sound mean when I said not to try to sneak into another corral. I just feel like they are going to put you into the corral you need to be and I would hate to be caught doing that. B/c with my luck, I would be caught. :teeth:
All I am telling you is from my 2 WDW marathon experiences. If anyone has run it and has another opinion that is great. :goodvibes

Christa-- I knew you'd be the next Tri among us You ROCK!
Sunny - You are so AWESOME! I don't rock....I think my head is full of rocks though. :rotfl:

LR tomorrow, but only 10. :sunny:
Christa

welovedis said:
Sorry for the 2nd post, but wondering what you put down as your anticipated finish time for the half? I put mine at 2:20 (bwahahahaha) but that is really out of reach now with my surgery rehab. :teeth:

KAREN!!!! Great to see you again!

I put down 3:00 for my finish time. We're in the process of ordering green shirts, so check out the shirt thread if you're interested. And pop into the Trails End dinner thread...we have seats available if you and your family would like to join us! Oh...and right-click on the WISH team in my siggie, then copy the location to yours. It should work!

I totally want to do the Minnie marathon ::MinnieMo I definitely won't be able to make the Disneyland half, so being in the inaugural Minnie would be fabulous :earsgirl: We were thinking about scheduling a weekend trip then anyway :love:

ETA: Today's pace: 14:24 :maleficen :dancer: Woohoo! :banana: That's my best pace ever outside of a race. This W3/R2 thing is hard, but must be working! And I think the ASICS have officially edged out the Nikes for half marathon race shoe!

Just had a thought....

I keep having days where I feel like I am training for a pie-eating contest instead of a marathon. Why is that?

Hi everyone, can someone please tell me about the post race celebration at DTD after the marathon? Is it a must do? My daughter and I only have the full day on Monday to enjoy the parks and we're wondering if we should attend this or spend the evening at a park? :rolleyes:

Hi guys - just read 5 pages straight so can't remember much, but weighing in on the bathroom conversation. I've done 13 halves now and never had to go during the race (and I'm a 2+ hour runner remember) because of the Queue, Pee, Repeat rule Lisa spoke about (tee hee, just realised that's the same initials as boyfriends favourite Uk soccer team). However, one word of warning, no matter how many times you visit the bathroom, as soon as you start running you will decide you need the bathroom again - you don't, Not sure if it's psychological or just things moving around when you run, but it soon goes away. That's my lot today as between work and running I'm a bit low in spare time. 15 miles for me tomorrow (gulp). Helen

eeyoresmom, For the awards ceremony answer...go to this link where I gave my rendition. You might make your decision after reading that.

I so wish I couldget the time and dollars to go play in the Minnie. That will be so fun. Sunny, I'm liking your fundraising thoughts. Not a fundraiser here though. sigh.

crzy4pooh, wat a great idea of using Minnie as the warmup for the next weekend. Hey Sunny......
:teeth:
I use gu, I do a half packet at a time and carry the other half until I can choke it down. Seems to be the only way it works for me. I don't mind most of the flavors. I can't remember the one I used that Liz bought for me in Chicago, but it was a caffienated one that I took early on so I didn't get my lack of coffee headache as we began. It worked for me.

Lisa, stop eating pies! :rotfl2:

Bree, glad you are among the living again.

Helen, 13 halves wow you are the big :dog2: :dog: :pug: :earseek:

All the talk of the potty breaks has me wanting to go now. I really had to go as we were doing the half in Chicago and to my dismay, not a potty until almost the finish line. I spotted that mecca and it felt oh so good.

Corral talk, I started in almost the last one. It took me 9 minutes to cross the start line. Even with the sweeper times clearly marked, they clearly state the last person over the line will have a 16 min mile pace. It seems like those times posted earlier for the sweeper took that into consideration. Just do as we've been advising and strive for that 15 min pace. You will even have time for some photo ops along the way. I did.

It can be done!

Today I went out and put in those steps. I must say I don't know what got into me, but I had a great thing going. I managed 5.2 miles and my pace averaged to 12:48. (Thanks to the Garmn info I didn't have to calculate it.) I will NOT be sustaining that on the BIG weekend, but I feel good about this and will hope to be able to stretch this out and manage that full distance. Still stressing about that some. Having the pain in the heel area and not liking this. Not sure what to do about it. I think our running store has a podiatrist help with people on Wednesdays and I may drop in to look see next week.

Lisa loves Pooh said:
Just had a thought....

I keep having days where I feel like I am training for a pie-eating contest instead of a marathon. Why is that?
So that's my problem...

Helen, I'll remind myself during my 10 that you're doing 15 this week. Maybe that will help. Good luck!

Lisa loves Pooh said:
Just had a thought....

You signed up for the pie-eating contest? I apparently signed on for the donut-eating contest. :rolleyes: Never in my life have I craved donuts like I have since I started LDR! What gives??? I've decided its not physically possible for me to outrun my appetite :confused3 But I'll keep trying ;)

director.gif

STEP AWAY FROM THE PIE AND NOBODY GETS HURT :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Pies, donuts... not good for me (And my mother LOVES to bake!) :) I try to tell her I'm in training, but she just looks at me like I'm nuts! :rotfl:

Forget just the desserts, I feel like I could eat a cow! I did an hour on the elliptical tonight and came home to eat dinner. Ate average size portion of meat, veggies and a salad. Felt comfortable, not overstuffed. By the time I was done the dishes I was starving. Felt like I hadn't eaten a thing.

Sometimes I think I'm running just so I can eat :earboy2:

Terri

You guys are killing me with all the food talk!!!! I already ate dinner, and am trying desparately to stay out of the snacks!!! :blush: I did make the comment to a coworker tonight that I am feeling the stress and strain from the (many) extra pounds I have put on since last year's half. The extra weight really makes a difference on your knees and ankles (and breathing)! Put down your pies and donuts!! And tell me to do the same!!!! ;) Actually it's the pop-tarts for me... DS and I may have to do without them until after the marathon... :teeth:

Tiger Lily - thanks for the info on the gu! I got four flavors of each kind of gel, so I'll let you all know our recommendations...

Tomorrow is a light day and Saturday is 10 miles. Hopefully this cold (cool) front we are supposed to get will make it pleasant on Sat. morning! :sunny:

Happy training! :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter